Ovations at Wolf Trap
1551 Trap Road
Vienna, VA 22182Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ovations at Wolf Trap
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mealsbeneaththemoon.com/
- Phone: 7032554017x
- Hours of Operation:
Ovations is ONLY open on Wolf Trap performance days during their 2014 Summer Season.
Ovations opens 2.5 hours prior to show time.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Yealy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: After dining enjoy the show at the Filene Center of Wolf Trap!
A word from Ovations at Wolf Trap
Ovations, an open-air restaurant overlooking the Meadow at Wolf Trap, offers pre-event buffet dining. Reservations are requested and recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Ovations at Wolf Trap - Best Restaurants in Tysons Corner / McLean ›
Ovations at Wolf Trap reviews from OpenTable diners
327 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (210)scenic view (134)special occasion (72)good for groups (67)kid-friendly (28)romantic (21)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (17)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (10)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Convenient for showskatmahanduDined on 8/28/2014This is easy access for seeing a show. The Buffett is decent but not for a foodie. There are a few meats and some boiled shrimp, salad choices and a few deserts. The food is fine. Not great. I recommend the banana pudding. Now that was great! It goes without saying the outdoor atmosphere is a compliment to Wolftrap. Despite 'ok' quality of food I'd likely go back with a group before show just because of convenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed the dinner and thought it was the best dinner we've had at Ovations.Special Features:
- MehKafn8dDined on 8/28/2014You gets what you pays for. Food was unremarkable given the NOVA food scene, but they don't have any competition on the grounds so there's no incentive for them to be better. Nothing about the menu was remarkable; everything was workmanlike. Service is friendly but inattentive and unmannered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatGourmandDined on 8/27/2014Be warned: Ovations only does buffet. Perhaps we were disappointed, since we do not like buffets. Food is never that good because it isn't freshly-made. There are some high spots - the peel-your-own shrimp were nicely spiced and not overcooked. Also the roast beef offered rare. It wasn't hot the night of our performance but I would be careful about eating some of the items on a hot night - although the potato salad was in a cold bowl. Overall, food is OK but don't expect anything innovative.
- Not a standing Ovationseeburg220Dined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times before, and mainly out of convenience. The food is never great, and this time was no exception. In fact, it was only "fair". The meats were good, except they were too salty and not very warm. The salad was edible. The lasagna was actually very good, except it was too spicy, surprisingly. The breads were stale. The desserts were horrible. I only had non-chocolate desserts, so I will only comment on the pecan pie tart, which my knife would not even cut through. It was so hard and over baked, it was inedible. The cupcake would have been passable. But, the ingredients gave this very coarse texture to the palate, making it worth of only one bite. Oveall, a dud...A $32 a piece dud.
- Positive Wolf Trap ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/24/2014Dining at Ovations is a terrific way to begin a Wolf Trap evening. Since they have gone to an all-buffet platform, dining there before a show is easy and delicious. Good food, plenty of it, variety, and fine service in a gorgeous setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always nice!DannyDined on 8/24/2014Had another great time and glad this is so handy for Wolf Trap events. Service and food were great.Special Features:
- Loved it!!AnnieDined on 8/22/2014This is our 2nd time here and the food and great feeling was as wonderful as the first time! Love the college wait staff too! They are so dedicated and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgtNamesIUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Convenience is the main reason to go. Get to Wolf Trap early. Get a good parking place. Eat and then go to your show. Food is acceptable, not great. Price isn't cheap, $90 for two with tip and no alcohol. But you don't have to worry about parking in the boondocks or being late to the show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet fare in a lovely settingHealthFoodieDined on 8/22/2014It was a lovely evening for outside dining and the venue is very special at Wolf Trap. Our table was apparently not assigned to any server, so we got lost for a bit until another server finally came over and adopted us. The soups were extremely salty but had nice texture. The salads were very nice although the offerings were not replenished when needed, requiring two trips. The only fish entree offered was fried, but tasty. Turkey and roast beef were a bit overcooked. I was looking forward to the fresh berries for dessert, however there were none left. Other diners had left lots on deserted plates, however. I would strongly recommend staggering the serving of the berries so that all can have a chance to have some.Special Features:
- Fun and convenientCaraDined on 8/22/2014We had dinner here Friday night before a show - showed up before the restaurant opened and they were very nice, let us in for drinks. The food was the low point; cold appetisers were fine but the hot food was sort of institutional. That said, our waitress was very sweet and it was a great way to have a grown-up dinner before the show.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Terrible food and service and would never recommend to friends or family.
- Great meal prior to performance.topgunDined on 8/20/2014I had read several of the reviews for Ovations, many of which were negative, but my previous positive experience convinced me to make a reservation for our anniversary prior to the Wolf Trap performance. My wife and I both enjoyed our meal. Several of the entrees were delicious...particularly the meat lasagna, pork loin, creamed spinach and creamed broccoli. It was a bit pricey but overall a very good buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming experiencesarb1234Dined on 8/20/2014Good location, friendly staff, very mediocre food, you'd do better to bring a picnic.Special Features:
- Captive Audience! What can you do?MikkiDined on 8/20/2014In a nutshell, they were under staffed for the 7:00 p.m. Seating. Our table was nice enough - Overlooking the scenic part of the park and we appreciated this - but that was the extent of our appreciation! Our dinner was way over priced! Selection sounded good on the menus but most dishes we tasted, other than the peel & eat shrimp and desserts, we mediocre at best! Service was almost non existent. We had asked for separate bills (per couple). W had difficulty getting our bill - the 1st bell was ringing for the show to start, and when we did receive it, it was not split and it was wrong and had to be re-done which made us even later to the show. Absolutely would not eat here again! Don't usually give bad reviews, but it is what it is.
- Poorly run restaurantNotimpressedDined on 8/20/2014At $32.00 a person, food is mediocre, the buffet was not refilled in a timely manner, buffet tables were sloppy, very messy and unattrative. A big disappointment.
- Ovations ReviewneveragainDined on 8/20/2014We were very disappointed in Ovations this time. The only option for eating was the buffet which was mediocre at best and over priced The wine list was poor. However the service was great. When we were there before we were able to order off a menu which was wonderful but we were told they discontinued that. We won't go back again.
- Cutting back, but prices riseSirReservesALotDined on 8/20/2014There use to be entree opions other than the buffett, but no more this season. The servers have too many tables so they can't provide any other services, or efficiently bring drinks, or the check. Many food stations are over run and not refilled. I missed out on a lot of options. Although the food stations are doubled and set up so you can go left or right, there is only one under staffed dessert bar, so that there is usually a line. I understand this is a venue set up for dinner before a show, but the basic table and chair placement could be refined to provide defind aisles and sections. Greeters, Matra 'ds, and servers can better set the expectations and procedures as guest enter and seated. Also it seems that the bar area is too small.Special Features:
- Convenient, but just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2014Main course meat in short supply, very cramped tables, heavy sides, Service staff overwhelmed Dessert was the best part
- Wolf Trap DiningWillieDined on 8/20/2014We always enjoy dining at Ovations when going to a concert at Wolf Trap. Great menu with variety. Excellent service. Reasonable price.Special Features:
- A Bit DisappointedPeggyLVIPDined on 8/19/2014We arrived at Ovations at the time we made our reservation. There wasn't a seat to be had. The hostess managed to squeeze my elderly mother and I into a small table, but it was so crazy busy that we didn't get service right away. When we finally did get someone to stop by, I was disappointed that the only thing you could order was the $32 buffet. I was just hoping for a small salad and a cup of soup, which I did end up getting, but also paid the price of $32 for it. So, I was just a bit disappointed with my visit to Ovations. Be prepared to pay a lot, if you decide to eat there before a performance.
- BuffetBobbiDined on 8/19/2014Hi, I prefer if they had a Menu also. The Buffet is too large for many people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014great place to dine before show at filene center. the open setting in the beautiful VA countryside can't be beat.Special Features:
- Great for Wolf TrapRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014If you don't want to bring your own picnic, Ovations is a good alternative. The fried chicken and she-crab soup were fantastic. The boiled spiced shrimp was great appetizer. For the firs time our service was not good. They try to balance the load among servers at this buffet setting, but our guy was behind all night- with the water, the drink order, refills, and plate clearing. This late in the season he should have it down.Special Features:
- Pleasant, convenientLongegreyDined on 8/16/2014We were seated immediately, nice table next to the rail overlooking the lawn and woods. Service was good at first, but took a long time for servicer to return. Food selection was very good, and fresh..nice selection of salads and entrees. However, for what we had, it was not a $32 meal. You're paying for the location and convenience to the performance.Special Features:
- DelightfullinajaneDined on 8/16/2014Lovely leisurely & delicious meal overlooking field & woodland. Our reservation was for 6pm. prior to a 8pm. concert performance so we had plenty of time & didn't feel rushed. Recommend asking for a table at the edge of the terrace. Good variety of nicely presented & tasty buffet dishes. We were lucky to have a pleasantly cool & sunny evening in mid August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarbieBarbieDined on 8/15/2014The food was good however, the food wasn't refreshed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Dishes were dirty - wine glasses came with lipstick. Food was good but cleanliness was notSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was not great. The worst fried chicken I have ever had. It was conveneient and since we drove for 5 hours through all of the traffic I was thankful that I dd not need to goanywhere else to get dinnerSpecial Features:
- It's ConvenientSimoneDined on 8/15/2014We have gone to Wolf Trap for years and eaten at Ovations because it is convenient, but never for the food. Last year, the food was better than average and we were really excited to eat there again. This year I found that they had gone back to less than average. It's not that the food is bad, the roast beef, ham and salmon were good. The vegetables and salad were fresh and tasty, but for $32 a person I expect more. The rolls were out of a package and almost stale, the desserts were just ok, and the service was mediocre at best. I overheard someone say, "It's like eating at the Golden Corral, but 3 times more expensive and with a better view. I had to agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ovations hits the spotleniVIPDined on 8/15/2014If you are not going to picnic and you are going to Wolf Trap then you want to go, for dinner, to Ovations. It is all buffet with a very wide assortment to fit all tastes and desires. The chef will work with you if you are plagued with allergies. Food is fresh and loaded with flavor. Spent dishes are immediately replaced so that the serving line is always looking fresh. One sits in an open air fancy tent with a view of the lawns and picnicers. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When seeing a show at Wolf Trap ...AlexandriteDined on 8/15/2014It's convenient and easy to dine at Ovations when seeing a show at Wolf Trap. The food is not especially outstanding, but the buffet only is served hot and well.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014All wait staff were very upbeat, friendly, and accomodating. The atmosphere was relaxed and unhurried but efficient. It rounded out a truely beautiful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Event Venue Buffet - MehTrollingstoneVIPDined on 8/14/2014This is an open air buffet at Wolf Trap. Convenient if attending an event but not inexpensive for what you get. Huge place, harried servers, multiple buffet lines with acceptable buffet food. Fried chicken, sliced ham, tough roast beef, vegetables, fairly good salad bar including steamed shrimp in the shell if you want to get messy and nice deserts. If the weather is good or even reasonable, come early, bring your cooler of food and use the picnic area.
- Slow and not steadyliveandLearnDined on 8/14/2014Got convinced to try Ovations before the Boney James concert, so made the reservation and figured for $33 a piece, the food must be good. Well.....the buffet reminded me a local restaurant who is trying out the whole buffet thing...and not sure how to get it right. Most of the food was not hot and many of the dishes were either not available at the time or just small crumbs of food left. Service was slow...almost overwhelming for the majority of high school/college aged servers.....don't expect refills on soft drinks in a timely manner....the only saving grace...the concert was awesome! Will eat before arriving or bringing a picnic basket!Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 8/14/2014Simply put, the food in general was not good. The prime rib was under cooked. the selection of food was limited. the wine list was small and overprice. the ham was the only food that was eatable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014Good dining opportunity when attending a Wolf Trap performance after dinnerSpecial Features:
- Excellent pre-show choiceCasalocoDined on 8/10/2014Hassle free dining on site at Wolftrap. The food was comparable to a Vegas buffet, not over the top but well worth the price & comfort level. Hang out at your table until the seating bell rings. Ovations is now a must experience prior to any seated shows at Wolftrap.Special Features:
- Perfect Location!WojcikDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant is great. Lots if good food, and you're right next to the venue. Always a good time at Wolf Trap!Special Features:
- Not worth the costSolioDined on 8/9/2014The food was cold and not that great, especially for the cost. The service was great and it's convenient. That's the best I can say.Special Features: