Ovations at Wolf Trap
1551 Trap Road
Vienna, VA 22182Neighborhood:
Tysons Corner / McLean
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ovations at Wolf Trap
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mealsbeneaththemoon.com/
- Phone: 7032554017x
- Hours of Operation:
Ovations is ONLY open on Wolf Trap performance days during their 2014 Summer Season.
Ovations opens 2.5 hours prior to show time.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bryan Yealy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: After dining enjoy the show at the Filene Center of Wolf Trap!
A word from Ovations at Wolf Trap
Ovations, an open-air restaurant overlooking the Meadow at Wolf Trap, offers pre-event buffet dining. Reservations are requested and recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Ovations at Wolf Trap - Best Restaurants in Tysons Corner / McLean ›
Ovations at Wolf Trap reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (181)scenic view (127)special occasion (61)good for groups (55)kid-friendly (22)fit for foodies (20)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Very dissappointingDtwoBDined on 9/7/2014This is the first we had been to Ovations since maybe 10 years ago and it is not a place we would return to. It is all buffet and even with a fairly small crowd, they had a hard time keeping the food items available. The selection was limited and not of particularly high quality. Plus the floor was littered with food spills.
- Amazingly good food !CirqueDreamsDined on 9/6/2014My girlfriend and I always wanted to try ovations, so we decided to splurge at the end of the season. I assumed for the price, you're basically just paying for the location, and all-you-can-eat buffet. Well, I was beyond shocked at how amazingly delicious all the food was! The buffet is comprised of quite a number of options to choose from. And everything available with as if it was made in a five-star restaurant. Everything we try, and we tried most of everything there, was so delicious . Every dish we tried was beyond our most wildest expectations. We eat in quite a number of restaurants, and I've never been in a place were absolutely every dish was as good as they were . Waiter and hostesses were awesome !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Very poor quality of food. Carver table was embarrassing, dried overlooked meats. Had to chase waiters to get soda or water. I have been before and although not great it was far better than this. Such a shame with its beautiful setting and outstanding convenience.
- Dinner and a showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014The perfect way to enjoy a relaxing meal before a Wolf Trap performance!!Special Features:
- FoodInspectorHDined on 9/5/2014Excellent food good selection-always enjoy dining at ovationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good location before Wolf Trap showGoodTimesDined on 9/5/2014We chose Ovations strictly for the convenience. Although our reservation was early, the offerings were still just so-so. The carving station had a few pieces of meat carved somewhere else, and replenished a few slices at a time. It was outside dining and there was a small breeze helped by the overhead fans.
- Great event starterOysterLoverDined on 9/5/2014We find it very relaxing to be able to sit and eat leisurely before the show starts. We have been enjoying Ovations for the past fifteen years; we always book a table whenever we schedule an event. Over the years the service has been very good & the menu varies a little from year to year. The selections should satisfy everyone in your party.Special Features:
- Ovations ReviewCindiW3Dined on 9/4/2014While the food was excellent, the service was lacking. We had to wait for our second rounds of drinks, and we also had to wait for our final bill. The restaurant was NOT that crowded, so that was not the issue. Seemed to be a lot of younger folks working with no Sr. level mgmt. to help mentor on customer service. We were a party of two and do not feel that was an issue either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not about the foodNoovationthistimeDined on 9/4/2014You can't beat Ovations for convenience for pre-theatre dining. But our most recent dinner there was truly awful in terms of both food and service (which isn't easy for a self-serve buffet)! Hopefully both were due to it being the end of the season. Normally the buffet is twice as big in terms of offerings. But they really should have reduced the price given how little was offered this time around. And even though attendance was sparse it took so long to get our check we almost were late for the performance.Special Features:
- Not what we expected.Lvone614Dined on 8/31/2014The food was not fresh, there was not much left at the buffet and the service was lame. For such a great venue as Wolf Trap they could do better.
- Not a good value for the costNotluv2dineDined on 8/28/2014The total bill was $92 for two people which included one glass of wine. It was not remotely close in reference to quality of food to other resturants in nova or DC area which charge similar prices. If it wasn't at Wolf Trap it would be empty.Special Features:
- Convenient for showskatmahanduDined on 8/28/2014This is easy access for seeing a show. The Buffett is decent but not for a foodie. There are a few meats and some boiled shrimp, salad choices and a few deserts. The food is fine. Not great. I recommend the banana pudding. Now that was great! It goes without saying the outdoor atmosphere is a compliment to Wolftrap. Despite 'ok' quality of food I'd likely go back with a group before show just because of convenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed the dinner and thought it was the best dinner we've had at Ovations.Special Features:
- MehKafn8dDined on 8/28/2014You gets what you pays for. Food was unremarkable given the NOVA food scene, but they don't have any competition on the grounds so there's no incentive for them to be better. Nothing about the menu was remarkable; everything was workmanlike. Service is friendly but inattentive and unmannered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wolftrapdiners2Dined on 8/28/2014Having dined here for several years and finding the food was acceptable, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the quality and variety have been substantially upgraded. Salads were varied and fresh, the "main" dishes of ham, turkey breast and beef were properly prepared and very tasty. There was even a steamed shrimp offering (cold) but cooked just right. We would recommend this option to those who want to have a reasonably priced buffet dinner prior to the show--the service was also way above average.Special Features:
- OK but not greatGourmandDined on 8/27/2014Be warned: Ovations only does buffet. Perhaps we were disappointed, since we do not like buffets. Food is never that good because it isn't freshly-made. There are some high spots - the peel-your-own shrimp were nicely spiced and not overcooked. Also the roast beef offered rare. It wasn't hot the night of our performance but I would be careful about eating some of the items on a hot night - although the potato salad was in a cold bowl. Overall, food is OK but don't expect anything innovative.
- Not a standing Ovationseeburg220Dined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times before, and mainly out of convenience. The food is never great, and this time was no exception. In fact, it was only "fair". The meats were good, except they were too salty and not very warm. The salad was edible. The lasagna was actually very good, except it was too spicy, surprisingly. The breads were stale. The desserts were horrible. I only had non-chocolate desserts, so I will only comment on the pecan pie tart, which my knife would not even cut through. It was so hard and over baked, it was inedible. The cupcake would have been passable. But, the ingredients gave this very coarse texture to the palate, making it worth of only one bite. Oveall, a dud...A $32 a piece dud.
- Positive Wolf Trap ExperiencePembrokePollyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Dining at Ovations is a terrific way to begin a Wolf Trap evening. Since they have gone to an all-buffet platform, dining there before a show is easy and delicious. Good food, plenty of it, variety, and fine service in a gorgeous setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always nice!DannyDined on 8/24/2014Had another great time and glad this is so handy for Wolf Trap events. Service and food were great.Special Features:
- Loved it!!AnnieDined on 8/22/2014This is our 2nd time here and the food and great feeling was as wonderful as the first time! Love the college wait staff too! They are so dedicated and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgtNamesIUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 8/22/2014Convenience is the main reason to go. Get to Wolf Trap early. Get a good parking place. Eat and then go to your show. Food is acceptable, not great. Price isn't cheap, $90 for two with tip and no alcohol. But you don't have to worry about parking in the boondocks or being late to the show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet fare in a lovely settingHealthFoodieDined on 8/22/2014It was a lovely evening for outside dining and the venue is very special at Wolf Trap. Our table was apparently not assigned to any server, so we got lost for a bit until another server finally came over and adopted us. The soups were extremely salty but had nice texture. The salads were very nice although the offerings were not replenished when needed, requiring two trips. The only fish entree offered was fried, but tasty. Turkey and roast beef were a bit overcooked. I was looking forward to the fresh berries for dessert, however there were none left. Other diners had left lots on deserted plates, however. I would strongly recommend staggering the serving of the berries so that all can have a chance to have some.Special Features:
- Fun and convenientCaraDined on 8/22/2014We had dinner here Friday night before a show - showed up before the restaurant opened and they were very nice, let us in for drinks. The food was the low point; cold appetisers were fine but the hot food was sort of institutional. That said, our waitress was very sweet and it was a great way to have a grown-up dinner before the show.Special Features:
- Wonderful pre-concert dinner!Datenite4usDined on 8/22/2014Salad bar was fresh and delicious, with several types of salad to choose from. The buffet had a wide variety of foods to cover all appetites! From the lasagne to shrimp, everyone found something to make them go back up to the buffet! Made for a nice relaxing dinner before attending the concert, and it was surprisingly cool under the tent for August! Will definitely recommend to others and plan to make this our "norm" when attending concerts at Wolf Trap! Specially loved the horseradish crusted steak! The wait staff was attentive and quick to remove used plates (while we were getting seconds!). Be careful though, don't fill up before the desert bar! The fresh berry cobler with soft serve icecream was the perfect finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Terrible food and service and would never recommend to friends or family.
- Great meal prior to performance.topgunDined on 8/20/2014I had read several of the reviews for Ovations, many of which were negative, but my previous positive experience convinced me to make a reservation for our anniversary prior to the Wolf Trap performance. My wife and I both enjoyed our meal. Several of the entrees were delicious...particularly the meat lasagna, pork loin, creamed spinach and creamed broccoli. It was a bit pricey but overall a very good buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming experiencesarb1234Dined on 8/20/2014Good location, friendly staff, very mediocre food, you'd do better to bring a picnic.Special Features:
- Captive Audience! What can you do?MikkiDined on 8/20/2014In a nutshell, they were under staffed for the 7:00 p.m. Seating. Our table was nice enough - Overlooking the scenic part of the park and we appreciated this - but that was the extent of our appreciation! Our dinner was way over priced! Selection sounded good on the menus but most dishes we tasted, other than the peel & eat shrimp and desserts, we mediocre at best! Service was almost non existent. We had asked for separate bills (per couple). W had difficulty getting our bill - the 1st bell was ringing for the show to start, and when we did receive it, it was not split and it was wrong and had to be re-done which made us even later to the show. Absolutely would not eat here again! Don't usually give bad reviews, but it is what it is.
- Poorly run restaurantNotimpressedDined on 8/20/2014At $32.00 a person, food is mediocre, the buffet was not refilled in a timely manner, buffet tables were sloppy, very messy and unattrative. A big disappointment.
- Ovations ReviewneveragainDined on 8/20/2014We were very disappointed in Ovations this time. The only option for eating was the buffet which was mediocre at best and over priced The wine list was poor. However the service was great. When we were there before we were able to order off a menu which was wonderful but we were told they discontinued that. We won't go back again.
- Cutting back, but prices riseSirReservesALotDined on 8/20/2014There use to be entree opions other than the buffett, but no more this season. The servers have too many tables so they can't provide any other services, or efficiently bring drinks, or the check. Many food stations are over run and not refilled. I missed out on a lot of options. Although the food stations are doubled and set up so you can go left or right, there is only one under staffed dessert bar, so that there is usually a line. I understand this is a venue set up for dinner before a show, but the basic table and chair placement could be refined to provide defind aisles and sections. Greeters, Matra 'ds, and servers can better set the expectations and procedures as guest enter and seated. Also it seems that the bar area is too small.Special Features:
- Convenient, but just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2014Main course meat in short supply, very cramped tables, heavy sides, Service staff overwhelmed Dessert was the best part
- Wolf Trap DiningWillieDined on 8/20/2014We always enjoy dining at Ovations when going to a concert at Wolf Trap. Great menu with variety. Excellent service. Reasonable price.Special Features:
- A Bit DisappointedPeggyLVIPDined on 8/19/2014We arrived at Ovations at the time we made our reservation. There wasn't a seat to be had. The hostess managed to squeeze my elderly mother and I into a small table, but it was so crazy busy that we didn't get service right away. When we finally did get someone to stop by, I was disappointed that the only thing you could order was the $32 buffet. I was just hoping for a small salad and a cup of soup, which I did end up getting, but also paid the price of $32 for it. So, I was just a bit disappointed with my visit to Ovations. Be prepared to pay a lot, if you decide to eat there before a performance.
- No telephone service - anywhere!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014Unfortunately we did not make it. We were stuck in traffic and tried and tried to call to let them know we would be late. Every number we had was on voice mail - no one even answered at the check-in desk. We were thoroughly disgusted to say the least!
- BuffetBobbiDined on 8/19/2014Hi, I prefer if they had a Menu also. The Buffet is too large for many people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014great place to dine before show at filene center. the open setting in the beautiful VA countryside can't be beat.Special Features:
- Great for Wolf TrapRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014If you don't want to bring your own picnic, Ovations is a good alternative. The fried chicken and she-crab soup were fantastic. The boiled spiced shrimp was great appetizer. For the firs time our service was not good. They try to balance the load among servers at this buffet setting, but our guy was behind all night- with the water, the drink order, refills, and plate clearing. This late in the season he should have it down.Special Features:
- Pleasant, convenientLongegreyDined on 8/16/2014We were seated immediately, nice table next to the rail overlooking the lawn and woods. Service was good at first, but took a long time for servicer to return. Food selection was very good, and fresh..nice selection of salads and entrees. However, for what we had, it was not a $32 meal. You're paying for the location and convenience to the performance.Special Features:
- DelightfullinajaneDined on 8/16/2014Lovely leisurely & delicious meal overlooking field & woodland. Our reservation was for 6pm. prior to a 8pm. concert performance so we had plenty of time & didn't feel rushed. Recommend asking for a table at the edge of the terrace. Good variety of nicely presented & tasty buffet dishes. We were lucky to have a pleasantly cool & sunny evening in mid August.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.