231 York St
Portland, ME 04102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://outlierseatery.com/
- Phone: 2077474166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tue - Sat: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Brunch: Sun: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Outliers Eatery
Modern cuisine executed with passion, laid-back atmosphere and independent, eclectic ethosContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Outliers Eatery - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Outliers Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (82)great for outdoor dining (69)scenic view (50)special occasion (46)romantic (29)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (23)hot spot (23)good for groups (21)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food but long waiterafoodieDined on 10/12/2014We had set up brunch reservations several weeks in advance and arrived 15 minutes early for our reservation. It took them a while to seat us and once we ordered the food, it almost took 30 minutes for the food to arrive. We noticed that another couple who was seated after us had received their food and finished eating by the time we got our food. So not sure what was going on but that was a bit disappointing. The food itself was good. I had the burger which was very flavorful and the rest in my party had the lobster Benedict, red flannel hash and the poutin which was really good.Special Features:
- AmazingFood4funVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were visiting from out of town and had heard good things, but were wowed by the presentation and taste. The duck was amazing popping with flavor and moist. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousComerDined on 10/11/2014We had six appetizers. Each was outstanding. Rarely have we had a meal comprised of items we would gleefully order again. And this meal was that from beginning to end.Special Features:
- noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This is a very nice restaurant, But quite loud,you need to speak up to hear your dinner partner.Special Features:
- Great spot to eat in PortlandPhilaSuburbsGuyVIPDined on 10/9/2014High recommend. We brought our young daughters and while the menu was not ideal for most younger eaters they were quite accommodating. Dinner was very good. Muscles were great. Excellent burger & hand cut fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whatafindDined on 10/9/2014Outliers Eatery was just a few minutes walk from the Westin and other downtown hotels. Such a find!! The mussels were the best I had during my week's stay in Maine. The oxtail ragu was amazingly delicious, and I rarely choose red meat. It was so hearty and filling on a chilly night. Others in my party enjoyed the lobster gnocchi and the halibut. Everyone was so pleased with dinner! Just a bit off the beaten path and so worth it!Special Features:
- Outliers RestaurantJasperDined on 10/4/2014Outliers has really great food - inventive, well-prepared and plentiful. I had razor clams - superb and the best bluefish I have ever enjoyed. Their wine and beer lists are also very good - the tapped beers are super. The service is great, all the way from the young lady that seated us promptly even though we were a half hour early on a Saturday night. Our server was spot on and friendly. One caution - the noise level is cataclysmic and for our foursome, all somewhat past 60 years of age, simply too much. I would seek a quieter evening if we patronize Outliers again.Special Features:
- Love it!NykrrDined on 10/3/2014Sat on the deck along side a propane torch and it was so fun watching the river, while eating. It was a cool fall night- great The service is friendly and efficient Try the oysters mignonette - wow ! Or the grilled razor clams. The sliced duck was perfect - medium rare. Save room for a luscious and surprising light lemon cake Will return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was FabulouscalmarkDined on 10/3/2014Al 4 dinners were tasty. Oyster apps very good. Server was knowledgable about wines. Started out nice and quiet. Beautiful interior. Chairs are not comfortable but we will be back for sure. Nice find! Outdoor deck looks fun too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchLetsgooutagainDined on 9/28/2014First time there, had reservation for table right at opening time. The place quickly filled up. Enjoyed the sunny, open atmosphere and had plenty of time to talk about it over Mimosas -- the service was very slow. About 45 minutes after sitting down -- and after people to our right and left both got served despite arriving after us -- we got our food. Have to say, it was worth the wait. Doughnut hole starters were hot and sweet. Breakfast burrito with homemade chorizo was great, and my wife loved the crabmeat omelette. Service was friendly and attentive, kitchen just seemed slow and not sure why our food was out of order, but we will definitely go back. Maybe for dinner because the place looks like it would be very cool at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice change of paceAnniDined on 9/27/2014This is a 'trendy' and out of the way restaurant in a town where things are more traditional and close to the port.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Took my girlfriend for a special occasion and was not disappointed. The food was amazing. Great beer list.Special Features:
- Ty it, you'll love it!chefDJVIPDined on 9/25/2014I found this restaurant on Open Table traveling through Portland. It's a funky, cute restaurant that has top quality small plates that could make a whole meal. I loved everything about it and would go back if I were in the area. I'm gluten free and there were several options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner!AvideaterDined on 9/20/2014My friend and I took the advice of two shopkeepers downtown and booked a table for dinner. We were glad we did, our meal was delicious and the service great. The only drawback was the noise level, it was hard to talk to my friend across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!ItsmereallyVIPDined on 9/18/20144 of us tried Outliers for the first time and absolutely were blown away! The service was first rate, the atmosphere was fun and funky and the food was so different and delicious! Wow! All the ingredients were fresh and you could taste every different flavor. We can't wait to go back and try other dishes.Special Features:
- Great FindLovetoeatDined on 9/13/2014What a surprise! Our server recommended the pig ears as the appetizer and they were more than delicious. I ordered the lamb and the portion was huge and it was so tender that it fell off the bone. My husband had the scallops and they were cooked perfectly and almost melted in his mouth. We highly recommend Outliers and only wished that we lived in Portland and could enjoy this restaurant regularly. Exceptional!Special Features:
- Great all aroundlare7Dined on 9/12/2014We went on a busy Friday night, and the servers were obviously stretched but still gave us pleasant service and took the time to answer our questions. The mussels were good in a tasty white wine garlic broth. The tri tip steak and lobster gnocchi entrees were both outstanding, recommend both. The cheesecake serving was large but seemed a little bland, not cheese-cakey enough though the topping was good. Drinks and draft beer selection were excellent. Entrees were mid-$20's like typical Portland prices. Great funky atmosphere, fun-looking bar, and nice deck with flame lamps for warmth. The staff did not make us feel rushed at all even though people were standing waiting for tables, which we really appreciated, they were all great/fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food 50/50FridayDined on 9/12/2014We went with another couple. Both females had the steak which was great.Both of the males ordered the duck. Neither one of them really enjoyed it. It apparently was very bland and would not order it again. The service was great !This was the second time to the resturant... the first time it was three of us and we all had a great mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LuvtowineDined on 9/6/2014First time here and we had a great experience! We will most definitely return! The food was very good and the service was excellent! We started with cod cheeks and arugula salad and the I had the mussels which were so tender!! My daughter had the short ribs which she said melted in her mouth and her boyfriend had the surf and turf burger(fresh Maine crabmeat on top!)which he said was cooked perfectly! The cocktails were great too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CountygrlDined on 9/6/2014We were looking for last minute reservation and wanted to try a new place. This was a very pleasant surprise, a bit off the beaten path. Plenty of on street parking in up and coming neighborhood. Food outstanding , interesting menu with locally sourced ingredients. A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatNykrrDined on 9/6/2014I love this Resturant. Great food while sitting on the porch, on a summer night. What could be better? Diver scallops and mushrooms risotto...yum!Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceSueGDined on 8/31/2014Love this restaurant. ..great variety of appetizers, fabulous brunch...my favorite, blueberry lemon pancakes. ..steak and eggs presentation unique and favorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrazerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We arrived early for our reservation and got a lovely window table. We split the tomato burrata salad and it was very good. I have pork loin and my husband had a surf and turf burger. We split a blueberry and molasses dessert. Everything was wonderful as usual. We had plenty of food. It is a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoy returning to outliers and will continue to patronize this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findPattyAVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and service. Every bite was delicious and obviously fresh. The service staff aims to please and does not rush you to finish. Chairs not very comfortable, but taste of food outweighs this flaw. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great little neighborhood restaurant. Little noisy but so convenient a spot. The food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindbtdineDined on 8/28/2014The food here was very good although some of the servings sizes were small. The menu changes daily and relies on fresh local ingredients so every visit can be different. A great selection of local beers and a good wine list. All and all well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoodyDined on 8/28/2014Had an excellent time. Food was delicious. Staff was attentive, timely, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experiencefoodieinthemakingDined on 8/27/2014After talking about it for month, we finally managed to get a night without kids and make it to Outliers. The service was excellent. We were greeted the second we walked through the door. Our waitress was friendly and responsive. We order mussels, which arrived quickly, and had ample time to enjoy them. The entrees and deserts were amazing. The manager, Joe, was very friendly and made sure we had a wonderful experience. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- sweet, but maybe a little too sweetleighcookeDined on 8/24/2014My girlfriends and I had brunch at Outliers last weekend. It took the server a very long time to approach our table because she was busy with other groups, but she was very apologetic and once she took our drink orders she was perfectly available. The space is very attractive, and the deck overlooking the river is a huge bonus. My only complaint is that the oatmeal and the blueberry pancakes were both too sweet for my taste. I liked them both, but wished they had a bit less sugar. I still recommend going here and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fresh and DelicioussoustasteDined on 8/24/2014The outdoor patio looked lovely but we dined indoors and it was so pretty too. The food was fresh and delicious. Our party consisted of two adults and one child and we enjoyed fresh fruit, blueberry/lemon pancakes (wild Maine blueberries), 3-cheese omelette, and a breakfast wrap. All plates were beautifully prepared and each of our meals were simply delicious. Service was excellent (constant coffee refills) and we enjoyed the contemporary atmosphere. A lovely park/water view made the experience perfect. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- THE WORST!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014this was one of the worst restaurant experience i have ever had. the fish was bad. i mean really BAD. the oysters were warm. it was almost completely inedible. the drinks were even worst, sour mix in a martini by accident was just the beginning. DO NOT EAT HERE EVER. thank you.
- DisappointingPeteyVIPDined on 8/22/2014When I spend over a hundred dollars I expect decent service and food. We got neither. Both courses came so quickly that they could not have been cooked to order. The entrees were Luke warm which means they had been sitting Service was less than average. Frankly a disappointing experience. We had a later reservation so no excuses as they had plenty of time and no need to rush. Pb
- A Dining GemmarytDined on 8/22/2014This was our first experience at Outliers. It is a perfect dining gem! The service was expert, knowledgeable yet fun. Outstanding beers and wines. The four of us shared appetizers and plates so we could have a taste of many of the chef's outstanding food. The oysters and the seafood in the paella were fresh and deliciously seasoned. The cod cheeks melted in your mouth and the beef short ribs were perfectly cooked. Every dish we had was a delight. And the desserts were unique and delicious. Outliers raises the already high dining bar in Portland. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food.FineFoodAppreciatedDined on 8/20/2014The food was outstanding. We had the diver scallops w/risotto and the surf and turf burger. Both were delicious and beautifully presented. We sat at a table on the porch by the rail (come early for this). When we left through the inside we understood about the noise level. It is an assault on the senses. Nevertheless, you come for the food and it is superlative. The wait staff are pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemgastrogirlDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at Outliers several times and it has been consistently great from the initial drinks (fantastic beer and cocktail selection), delicious and creative apps, wonderful bread, tasty twist on classics for the entrees, and the attentive and friendly staff. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for the excellent quality. Much rather eat here than the pricier and pretentious "hot" spots in town. A true neighborhood gem and selfishly tempted to keep this place a secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ninaDined on 8/16/2014The resturant was a great find. Wait staff as well as the bar tender were very attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great Except...LuvPortland7153Dined on 8/16/2014The seats! Really nothing more than desk chairs on wheels. Really made it uncomfortable. Fabulous food and great atmosphere. But PLEASE, get some new chairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE it, but VERY loud!SpurdogDined on 8/13/2014I did mark it as romantic because the setting should be that, but because of all the metal and hard surfaces it is SO loud. One of the loudest restaurants we go to and that can be a bit annoying. We sometimes can barely hear each other or the waitress and at our last visit the place was barely half full and it was still that loud. Not sure what can be done to change that, but we still go back and LOVE it because everything else is really awesome!!!! If you can get a table on the deck, GO for it because it is nice and quiet out there!!! Lovely!!!! The food never disappoints and the service is always friendly and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PtoneaterDined on 8/13/2014Outliers had a cool, contemporary look and feel but the wait staff was down to earth and attentive. Excellent food, limited menu, but the noise level was unbearable. I would not return for that reason.Special Features:
- harleygirlDined on 8/9/2014Everything about Outliers is amazing. Friendly, professional staff and the food was simply amazing! This is a place we will be going to often.Special Features: