231 York St
Portland, ME 04102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://outlierseatery.com/
- Phone: 2077474166x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tue - Sat: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Brunch: Sun: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Outliers Eatery
Modern cuisine executed with passion, laid-back atmosphere and independent, eclectic ethosContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Outliers Eatery - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Outliers Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (85)fit for foodies (71)great for outdoor dining (67)scenic view (55)special occasion (43)romantic (28)great for brunch (27)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (21)notable wine list (21)hot spot (17)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great FindLovetoeatDined on 9/13/2014What a surprise! Our server recommended the pig ears as the appetizer and they were more than delicious. I ordered the lamb and the portion was huge and it was so tender that it fell off the bone. My husband had the scallops and they were cooked perfectly and almost melted in his mouth. We highly recommend Outliers and only wished that we lived in Portland and could enjoy this restaurant regularly. Exceptional!Special Features:
- Great all aroundlare7Dined on 9/12/2014We went on a busy Friday night, and the servers were obviously stretched but still gave us pleasant service and took the time to answer our questions. The mussels were good in a tasty white wine garlic broth. The tri tip steak and lobster gnocchi entrees were both outstanding, recommend both. The cheesecake serving was large but seemed a little bland, not cheese-cakey enough though the topping was good. Drinks and draft beer selection were excellent. Entrees were mid-$20's like typical Portland prices. Great funky atmosphere, fun-looking bar, and nice deck with flame lamps for warmth. The staff did not make us feel rushed at all even though people were standing waiting for tables, which we really appreciated, they were all great/fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food 50/50FridayDined on 9/12/2014We went with another couple. Both females had the steak which was great.Both of the males ordered the duck. Neither one of them really enjoyed it. It apparently was very bland and would not order it again. The service was great !This was the second time to the resturant... the first time it was three of us and we all had a great mealI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!LuvtowineDined on 9/6/2014First time here and we had a great experience! We will most definitely return! The food was very good and the service was excellent! We started with cod cheeks and arugula salad and the I had the mussels which were so tender!! My daughter had the short ribs which she said melted in her mouth and her boyfriend had the surf and turf burger(fresh Maine crabmeat on top!)which he said was cooked perfectly! The cocktails were great too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!CountygrlDined on 9/6/2014We were looking for last minute reservation and wanted to try a new place. This was a very pleasant surprise, a bit off the beaten path. Plenty of on street parking in up and coming neighborhood. Food outstanding , interesting menu with locally sourced ingredients. A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatNykrrDined on 9/6/2014I love this Resturant. Great food while sitting on the porch, on a summer night. What could be better? Diver scallops and mushrooms risotto...yum!Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceSueGDined on 8/31/2014Love this restaurant. ..great variety of appetizers, fabulous brunch...my favorite, blueberry lemon pancakes. ..steak and eggs presentation unique and favorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrazerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We arrived early for our reservation and got a lovely window table. We split the tomato burrata salad and it was very good. I have pork loin and my husband had a surf and turf burger. We split a blueberry and molasses dessert. Everything was wonderful as usual. We had plenty of food. It is a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoy returning to outliers and will continue to patronize this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise findPattyAVIPDined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and service. Every bite was delicious and obviously fresh. The service staff aims to please and does not rush you to finish. Chairs not very comfortable, but taste of food outweighs this flaw. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great little neighborhood restaurant. Little noisy but so convenient a spot. The food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindbtdineDined on 8/28/2014The food here was very good although some of the servings sizes were small. The menu changes daily and relies on fresh local ingredients so every visit can be different. A great selection of local beers and a good wine list. All and all well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoodyDined on 8/28/2014Had an excellent time. Food was delicious. Staff was attentive, timely, and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experiencefoodieinthemakingDined on 8/27/2014After talking about it for month, we finally managed to get a night without kids and make it to Outliers. The service was excellent. We were greeted the second we walked through the door. Our waitress was friendly and responsive. We order mussels, which arrived quickly, and had ample time to enjoy them. The entrees and deserts were amazing. The manager, Joe, was very friendly and made sure we had a wonderful experience. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- sweet, but maybe a little too sweetleighcookeDined on 8/24/2014My girlfriends and I had brunch at Outliers last weekend. It took the server a very long time to approach our table because she was busy with other groups, but she was very apologetic and once she took our drink orders she was perfectly available. The space is very attractive, and the deck overlooking the river is a huge bonus. My only complaint is that the oatmeal and the blueberry pancakes were both too sweet for my taste. I liked them both, but wished they had a bit less sugar. I still recommend going here and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fresh and DelicioussoustasteDined on 8/24/2014The outdoor patio looked lovely but we dined indoors and it was so pretty too. The food was fresh and delicious. Our party consisted of two adults and one child and we enjoyed fresh fruit, blueberry/lemon pancakes (wild Maine blueberries), 3-cheese omelette, and a breakfast wrap. All plates were beautifully prepared and each of our meals were simply delicious. Service was excellent (constant coffee refills) and we enjoyed the contemporary atmosphere. A lovely park/water view made the experience perfect. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- THE WORST!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014this was one of the worst restaurant experience i have ever had. the fish was bad. i mean really BAD. the oysters were warm. it was almost completely inedible. the drinks were even worst, sour mix in a martini by accident was just the beginning. DO NOT EAT HERE EVER. thank you.
- DisappointingPeteyVIPDined on 8/22/2014When I spend over a hundred dollars I expect decent service and food. We got neither. Both courses came so quickly that they could not have been cooked to order. The entrees were Luke warm which means they had been sitting Service was less than average. Frankly a disappointing experience. We had a later reservation so no excuses as they had plenty of time and no need to rush. Pb
- A Dining GemmarytDined on 8/22/2014This was our first experience at Outliers. It is a perfect dining gem! The service was expert, knowledgeable yet fun. Outstanding beers and wines. The four of us shared appetizers and plates so we could have a taste of many of the chef's outstanding food. The oysters and the seafood in the paella were fresh and deliciously seasoned. The cod cheeks melted in your mouth and the beef short ribs were perfectly cooked. Every dish we had was a delight. And the desserts were unique and delicious. Outliers raises the already high dining bar in Portland. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food.FineFoodAppreciatedDined on 8/20/2014The food was outstanding. We had the diver scallops w/risotto and the surf and turf burger. Both were delicious and beautifully presented. We sat at a table on the porch by the rail (come early for this). When we left through the inside we understood about the noise level. It is an assault on the senses. Nevertheless, you come for the food and it is superlative. The wait staff are pleasant and accommodating.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemgastrogirlDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten at Outliers several times and it has been consistently great from the initial drinks (fantastic beer and cocktail selection), delicious and creative apps, wonderful bread, tasty twist on classics for the entrees, and the attentive and friendly staff. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for the excellent quality. Much rather eat here than the pricier and pretentious "hot" spots in town. A true neighborhood gem and selfishly tempted to keep this place a secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ninaDined on 8/16/2014The resturant was a great find. Wait staff as well as the bar tender were very attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great Except...LuvPortland7153Dined on 8/16/2014The seats! Really nothing more than desk chairs on wheels. Really made it uncomfortable. Fabulous food and great atmosphere. But PLEASE, get some new chairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE it, but VERY loud!SpurdogDined on 8/13/2014I did mark it as romantic because the setting should be that, but because of all the metal and hard surfaces it is SO loud. One of the loudest restaurants we go to and that can be a bit annoying. We sometimes can barely hear each other or the waitress and at our last visit the place was barely half full and it was still that loud. Not sure what can be done to change that, but we still go back and LOVE it because everything else is really awesome!!!! If you can get a table on the deck, GO for it because it is nice and quiet out there!!! Lovely!!!! The food never disappoints and the service is always friendly and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PtoneaterDined on 8/13/2014Outliers had a cool, contemporary look and feel but the wait staff was down to earth and attentive. Excellent food, limited menu, but the noise level was unbearable. I would not return for that reason.Special Features:
- harleygirlDined on 8/9/2014Everything about Outliers is amazing. Friendly, professional staff and the food was simply amazing! This is a place we will be going to often.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great food and service, and a short walk from my place on the west end!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great customer serviceKittyVIPDined on 8/8/2014my husband and I ate at Outliers last weekend with friends. Unfortunately we both ordered duck and when it arrived it was well rather than medium rare. Our waitress and the restaurant overall went above and beyond what i have ever experienced to make things right. Our waitress Erin (so sweet) whisked our meals away and then quickly came back and said the restaurant wanted to give us a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. Duck arrived back perfectly cooked and we went on to enjoy a thoughly delicious meal. when the bill came, they insisted on comping our entrees for our trouble. I actually tried arguing that it wasn't necessary but they insisted. Never happened before and clearly shows how much they care. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- lovely eveningwibsDined on 8/7/2014Food was outstanding. Service was fantastic. Our only complaints were lack of lighting ( no candles..) and high noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- breiraVIPDined on 8/6/2014The space is nice; the food is above average- but the noise level is VERY highSpecial Features:
- Table for twoLove2dineDined on 8/1/2014Hello, I enjoyed my evening at Outliers this past Friday evening. We had enjoyed starters, a bottle of wine, entrees, and finished w dessert. Over all we both were very pleased w the food and you even were able to customize an entree for my date. Our server was new but very attentive and pleasant. My only fault I find is that the chairs that accompany the booth style benches are a bit uncomfortable. That's all. I will return here again it was a pleasing experience and will recommend Outliers to friends. Thanks JohnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true Treathappy2dineoutDined on 8/1/2014Attention to detail on every level. Lighting, tableware, glassware. The food was as tasty as it was beautifully presented. The sauces light and aromatic.. Complimenting the unbelievably fresh lobster , calamari, clams and short ribs. The drinks were fabulous and the wine superb. A great west side gem that can hold its own with the many other great Portland restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth going, but...ScarboroughgalDined on 7/25/2014On balance we enjoyed Outliers, the ambiance, food, and service, but it was noisy, and the chairs were uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed . . .FridayNiteDinersDined on 7/25/2014Previous dinners were excellent, but the food at our most recent visit was disappointing. I had the steamers as a main course and they were gritty/sandy. My husband had the halibut, which was delicious but the portion was so small that he left hungry. And, to top it off, Oxbow beer wasn't available. Too bad!Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!LisaDined on 7/25/2014First time for us. We were pleasantly surprised! Atmosphere was wonderful. Loved the decor! Wait staff was pleasant and helpful. Food was perfect. The mussels and the diver scallops were amazing! We will definitely be dining at Outliers again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!BBC225Dined on 7/25/2014There are not enough accolades to describe this gem of a restaurant! The 5 of us all thought we had the best meal in the house--and four of us had different entrees. My husband and friend are still crowing about their scallops, but my lobster had to be supreme! Our son had recommended the restaurant as his favorite, and now we know why! It immediately soared to the top of our "best" list and will stay there! Lucky Portland to have such a spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant!!!Love2majDined on 7/24/2014I don't want to review this because I don't want other people to eat here!!! We loved this restaurant! Our waiter was great, the food was simple, but creative and amazing. Locally grown, organic. A nice addition to an already vibrant foodie scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and exciting restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014We have eaten at Outliers several times now and this was our best experience yet. The food was inventive, fresh, local and very good. The wine and draft beer choice is un-excelled. The building itself is also remarkable with a fresh and modern space having been created out of what was once a so-so tavern.Special Features:
- Well Presented DishesLunchmuncherDined on 7/20/2014My wife and I recently had Sunday brunch at Outlier's. We were there at 1:00 PM and asked to be seated outdoors as the noise level inside was more than energetic. The deck overlooks South Portland and is quite a pleasant view. The wine choice is good and the prices reasonable. I had poached eggs with smoked salmon and hash while my wife had the breakfast burrito. I would have preferred toast of some sort to the hash. The dishes were quite attractive, well presented. The eggs were perfect, the salmon was rather scant but good. The breakfast burrito was stuffed with an omelet and was quite filling. The coffee was deliciously robust.Special Features:
- Small PortionsNeighborDined on 7/9/2014Are you kidding me? I was hungry an hour after dinner...Special Features:
- Good food, slow servicedrvansDined on 7/8/2014Nice selection of entrees despite the limited menu. Everyone enjoyed their dish (Halbut, Bolognese, burger, trout and duck for our table). Pigs ears are crazy good. Waitress was initially attentive and, while not quick, was acceptable. Then service hit a wall, despite the fact it was not busy. I could even see the server eating in the kitchen. They had picked up half the finished plates from the table and never came back for the rest. I finally got up and told the waitress in the kitchen to come back, get the plates and ask about dessert. She came immediately and comped the appetizer plate (the charcuterie...which is good too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.