4001 Judah St.
San Francisco, CA 94122Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://outerlandssf.com/
- Phone: 4156616140x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-11am
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm
Cocktail Hour: 3-5:30pm daily (small plates starting at 4pm)
Dinner: 5:30pm-10:00pm daily
Brunch: Sat-Sun 9am-3:00pm
*Reservations are available for dinner service only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bayani Inclano & Brooke Mosley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Outerlands
Locally sourced, organic fare served in a warm, handcrafted setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Outerlands reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (17)hot spot (7)special occasion (7)romantic (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- What is it?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014Not clear on the concept here. Are they going for beachcomber/hippie shack that just happens to have an exceptional kitchen or a fine dining experience dressed down in $700 hoodies? First I'll say that some of the food was exceptional. The service was, well, interesting. Our server was a sweetheart, but our first courses came out 5 minutes apart with no explanation. Low point was when a server(?) slammed a candle down on our table like a cup of dice on a bar. Get a front of house manager already! If I lived in the neighborhood and it was easy to get into, I might put it in my rotation. I wouldn't fight for a reservation nor would I recommend it as a destination for out-of-towners.Special Features:
- InconsistentDTMVVIPDined on 8/29/2014Both the food and the service were inconsistent on our recent visit. The servers and hostess were pleasant and competent yet completely abandoned us to talk to each other several times. The food was mostly very good but my halibut was overcooked. The bread was absolutely delicious and the best thing we ate.Special Features:
- Out thereMickyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Been here before it remodeled so was looking forward to it. Love what they did to the place - warm wood and great bar. Sat down at prescribed reservation time, staff very pleasant but disappointed in both the food. Our server spent a long time describing each meticulous dish and when presented they were for the most part small and esoteric. Way too much preparation - wish food were as easy and uncomplicated as the space design and the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service&delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014Our server was simply wonderful. Everyone greatly enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Love the expansion and very pleased that you now take reservations!Special Features:
- KringDined on 8/13/2014I like the new remodel and was excited to try Outerlands for dinner. I think they are still adjusting because our main course took about 45 minutes from when we got our appetizers. The waiter was apologetic and the food tasted good, but after having waited that long, the price seemed a little too much for the experience and the amount of food we got. The dessert was my favorite course. We had the chocolate with honey, sea salt, and forbidden rice. I would definitely come back and sit at the bar, enjoy the atmosphere and eat that chocolate dish by myself!Special Features:
- Just awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014First time there and I am in love!!! Killer food Awesome staff Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Food!SFFoodNerdsDined on 8/7/2014We went to Outerlands for a Date Night and were not disappointed. Now that they take dinner reservations, we will be back for more outstanding meals. Beautiful food, very expressive of the ingredients. Great ecclectic wine list. Wonderful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, esp for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014No vegetarian entree. I was told I could have bread and a salad. Salads looked good, but I've been eating salads at home incessantly. Could they do a vegetarian entree? They could do they halibut without the halibut and add more cabbage. Who wants more cabbage? It was a strange combination to begin with. So I pushed again. I ended up with a very bland bowl of corn, squash, and egg, nothing special. Plus those short little hard chairs do not cause one to want to linger. I won't ever go back for dinner.
- food missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/3/2014I went anticipating the toast and all other goodies. The toast was OK, a little spongy. Wish it came with something else in addition to the butter, which should have been salted. The Tomato salad with smoked tomato water and lovage oil was EXCELLENT.The pork belly had a bonito broth; the fish taste overpowered the pork. The fruit pieces on top were too large to be included in each bite of pork (I think it was supposed to cut the richness of the pork). The fish was very good. Not enough vegetables in the entrees. Too much broth. Grilled octopus was excellent. I just wish there was more of it for $15. I bought an entire octopus for $20; it should be possible to provide a larger portion for that price. Or make it an entrée. BF won't go back.Special Features:
- NancyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a lovely time. Our server, Wendell, was terrific! He was very attentive and very professional. We tried many small dishes, the octopus, the tomato dish, the melon dish, oh and the bread - levain - was fabulous!!!!!!, We shared the lamb entree....nice wines and beers..........Everything was wonderful.....we even purchased a loaf of the bread, baked on site, to take home.....great for french toast! Thanks.......We will come back....hope that you add more things to the menu....Thank you!Special Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Outerlands reviews archive.
- Great food + ambience = many starsMaiTaiDined on 12/27/2013This is a beautiful wood-paneled restaurant in the sleepy Outer Sunset neighborhood just minutes from Ocean Beach. Their food knocks it out of the park with high quality ingredients, small but reasonable filling portions, and most importantly great taste. We have gone several times and would have booked our wedding reception there, if possible, for the fantastic food and ambience except they were planning for their restaurant expansion/renovation. As part of that, we had their tasting menu event several days ago including their famous in-house Levain toast (now they're making their own butter?!) as well as a melt-in-your-mouth slow cooked leg of lamb and wonderfully creamy risotto-type dish with truffles and root veggies. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too cold if you sit by theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/20/2013Too cold if you sit by the door. They should really invest in a curtain...Special Features:
- Limited menu. Not food friendlyBjonesVIPDined on 12/19/2013Limited menu. Not food friendly for a finicky eater, I had the soup and duck ragout which were very good but others at our table had the crab & scallop stew which was tasteless and the pork belly which was just OK. Bread and butter were of course delicious. My special cocktail made with rum had a very medicinal taste which was not pleasant. Should have gotten something else!!! For all the raving I have heard about this place, I was very disappointed. Maybe lunch is better!!!
- Holy wow, that dinner was awfulAlexVIPDined on 12/17/2013As a relatively satisfied brunch customer of Outerlands, I figured I'd try their dinner. Well, nothing about the experience left a good taste in my mouth (the food especially). From the lack of apology for the 30-minute wait after our reservation time (which we would have been fined $50 for missing, by the way), to the flavorless roasted sunchokes that tasted "like a paper bag" (-my girlfriend), to the eight-dollar toast with two tiny slces of mediocre cheese, to the mealy cavatappi, to the overcooked duck, to the aloof and unhelpful service staff (10 min to acknowledge us upon walking in; 8 min to get honey for tea i'd ordered), to our gross table between a dishwashing station and high chair storage, everything was a complete mess. AVOID.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/17/2013The flavors were delicious and I loved the rustic decor. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best !OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2013This is one of my favorites of S.F. The food is really outstanding and original,Special Features:
- Great SF restaurantPJDivaVIPDined on 12/10/2013Outerlands epitomes what San Francisco is all about --a local (neighborhood) place with great food that's organic, wholesome and fresh. It's a hip place without being pretentious. I've introduced many friends to the restaurant (and they've all loved the food) . One drawback is that the restaurant can be very cold (I know it's by the beach but really) . If they double in size through the projected expansion next door, they better hire another chef or two. This is not a fast food place. We had the octopus and sunchokes as appetizers. For dinner we had the duck, seafood stew, pork chop, and congee. All very tasty though pork chop looked the best. For dessert --OMG --the monkeybread with salted caramel sauce!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn the heater on!BiancailiaDined on 12/10/2013The food is excellent, as is the service. Cocktails were heavenly. The glitch: no heat on in the restaurants. We were given blankets for our legs ( not good....but only choice). I will recommend restaurant for warm days only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 12/7/2013Based on positive feedback from friends on their Outerlands experience, we were really looking forward to our first time there. Unfortunately our experience turned out somewhat different from that of our friends. The service was fine but the food was not on par with the service. We were two couples and all four of us rated the food experience as marginal at best. Perhaps they were having a bad night, so our intention is to give them another chance.
- A gem in an unusual spot,GlitzymitzyDined on 11/30/2013A gem in an unusual spot, go for it you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- SuperlativemetooVIPDined on 11/23/2013What a great place. And the food is remarkable. The turnip soup was lovely. Carmelized sunchokes were beyond wonderful. And the seafood stew was perfect.
- Delicious!!aml888VIPDined on 11/15/2013I think I dreamt about the sunchokes, they were that good. The soup was also a winner - a good-size portion, amazing flavors and warm on a cold outer sunset night. The bread is a must - try it with one of the cheese. The only downside to Outerlands is that the wines by the glass are mediocre at best. Opt for beer or cocktails, though and you'll have an incredible experience overall. I wish they didn't ask for a credit card to hold the a reservation. Parking is sometimes a bit tough but we've always had good luck one block over on Kirkham. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were rushed between ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2013We were rushed between our appetizer and main course. It was intense and not relaxing, not the kind of experience I was seeking. Perhaps it's because we chose an early seating. It made sense to do so after watching the sun go down on beautiful Funston Beach.Special Features:
- both the duck and pork wereonthewallDined on 11/9/2013both the duck and pork were a little tough the night we had dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!daveandchloeVIPDined on 10/29/2013Amazing!!! Food was creative, and flavorful with nice sized portions. Cocktails are delicious and inventive and the ambience is very comforting and relaxed. I can't wait to go back! Food was SO good.Special Features:
- First Impressionsskala67Dined on 10/25/2013It was a bit of a haul to Sunset from the City, but it was worth every Duck, Octopus, Black Cod bite of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPJDivaVIPDined on 10/22/2013We went for my husband's birthday--we both thought of Outerlands right away. We wanted (and got) great food that was genuinely prepared and served by people who cared about the food as more than sustenance. This may sound airy-fairy but it's true; I felt we were being nourished. We had the duck breast (the largest I've ever had in a restaurant) and accompanied it with the green beans. The flavors were complex but not overwrought. For dessert we had the monkeybread which had fresh Asian pears, toasted almonds, coconut, and cream. It was sublime and delightful. The setting is a funky, plain vibe and suits the food and the Sunset neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over rated complicated foodjoseDined on 10/12/2013Service slow; restaurant cold, door wide open and our table right in line of draft. I'm never cold, had to leave jacket on. hostess said no other table available; said she'd close door but would need to reopen in a few mins; kitchen gets stuffy. would have left but was being hosted by companion; they did leave the door closed. table opened up farther from door soon, hostess seated other party of 2. slow service continued. we had tomato soup-excellent. I had pork loin-tough; companion had duck-delicious; sauces very good; side dish of sunflower buds were interesting but dry. wines were very good-server able to help with pairings. coffee extremely weak; server said it wasn't possible to make stronger pot of decaf-beans too mild
- fabulous forward thinking cuisineastrud76Dined on 10/11/2013Outerlands has a warm interior made of wood creatively utilized as a decorative form. It feels like you are dining in a far off forest somewhere in Scandinavia rather than a beach community on the outer lying area of San Francisco. The food is impeccably prepared displaying an interesting combination of unique flavors. The service is knowledgeable, warm, and unpretentious. I would highly recommend this restaurant for an intimate date, catching up with an old friend, and trying out some new flavors.Special Features:
- Failed to shine at dinnermich122912Dined on 10/11/2013We started with awesome cocktails & spot on appetizers. Kale salad, uni, & the tomato soup ( which wasn't hot ) were all executed well. The entrees included Cod and Pork. The cod was bland & the corn fritters that accompanied the fish were luke warm. The pork was overcooked so you lost the juiciness that pork delivers. The flavor profiles were good but with the meat being tough it was hard to enjoy. We had a fancy rice pudding that had their version of a homemade rice crispy in it. The crunch was good but the flavors were muted. Overall, I wouldn't rush back for dinner. The service was adequate but nothing to write home about. To come out to 45th Ave and wait in the lines that this places demands the food need to be elevated a few notches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was DELICIOUS...beautifulazunswimmomDined on 10/9/2013Food was DELICIOUS...beautiful presentation...the bread was absolutely heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedrudegrlDined on 10/4/2013We made a reservation to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary at Outerlands and requested a window table when reserving, mentioning our special occassion. In addition to not getting a window table, despite being the first ones there and on time for our reservation, there was no acknowledgement of our request. The food was adequate, not as good as we recall it being previous times. The lack of concern for our request, the high prices, and the attitude of the staff at Outerlands have moved this restaurant on to our 'never again' list.
- I would've given OuterlandsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2013I would've given Outerlands 4 stars had we not ordered the pork loin entree, which was about the consistency of a leather shoe. It being the leanest cut, it's got to be handled with care so that it doesn't get tough. Perhaps a momentary lapse? And yet that's all it took to ruin the meat. A shame too considering the fairly steep price tag. Yes, we did enjoy the rest of our meal but shouldn't everything come out well-made considering the reputation Outerlands has built itself on coupled with the amount of money we paid for our meal? I'd say so ...I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect endingKelseylkVIPDined on 9/25/2013Outerlands is a rare treat- amazing food presented in a simple, but comforting space. Fantastic cocktails come from a tiny bear while wholesome toast slices are topped with rich cheeses. The duck was perfect, the octopus was light and flavorful and the service was fantastic. I hesitate to say it's a must visit, only because I don't want it to lose its simple magic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, dinner just okLizPDined on 9/20/2013We ordered a salad, two entrees and two desserts. The tomato salad was interesting to eat, lots of flavors and textures. Our salmon entree was all bad. Super fishy tasting salmon & the plate was underwhelming. Our pork tenderloin was AHMAZING! Delicious enough to literally shower in it. Both desserts were just ok. The cashew cake tasted burnt and the quince on the walnut pecan tart wasn't ripe. So by combining the peaches on the cashew cake plate with the walnut pecan tart we had a delicious dessert! Our server, Rose, was very professional & attentive. She alone is worth going back for. Give her a raise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2013I had heard good things about this restaurant but left rather disappointed. First off, I was surprised, given the prices, at the casual, almost coffee house look of the place. Many dishes fell short. The best dish was the lamb shoulder- delicious and flavorful . The octopus was good but pricey ($17) for an appetizer. The halibut tartare appetizer was disappointing - dry and tasteless. Tomato soup - ordinary.The dashi sea urchin appetizer was very odd, really not to our taste and we left most of it on the plate. Service was good but different servers delivered different dishes and their descriptions of the maybe too many components of most dishes was rushed and hard to hear. We decided against ordering dessert. I'm not sure I would return.
- Bring your wallet, not your appetitcook4fun121Dined on 9/17/2013I had 3 courses and one side dish. I would rate them from good to very good when it comes to taste. For 2 dishes the presentation was only fair but for the other two it was very good maybe even excellent. It's a small place and I'm sure the all the staff front and back of house does what they can given the limitations. I knew going in that this was not a cheap restaurant but still it was a pretty big bill at the end of the night. Service was very good but getting our second glass of wine took too long. So we lingered uninterrupted & enjoy the wine. (Nice for us but this doesn't help them turn tables and I know there were people waiting.) One BIG PLUS given the cost -- no charge for splitting dishes! Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Diningfood4thoughtDined on 8/28/2013A superb dining experience--excellent food, wine, and service. I have eaten at Outlanders 3 times now, and each time have had a different and imaginative menu. Very creative chef and food is fresh and imaginatively presented. Great bread and butter! And I appreciate being able to make a reservation and not have to stand outside in the cold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and FreshOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2013Don't miss this gem. Service great, friendly staff and food fresh and great quality. Creative dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good as expected.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2013The food was good as expected. But I was quite impressed with the wine list. They carried wines and varietals such as Jacquere from the Savoie and Savagnin from the Jura in France. If you never tried these wines it's time to get adventurous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.