Out of the Blue
215 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Out of the Blue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://outofthebluerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 776-5020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Antonio Landaverde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Out of the Blue
Family owned restaurant specializing in seafood.With an open kitchen and a small bar.We been in business since 2000. We bring to your table the freshest seafood directly from the fish pier .Your food is cooked to order .All the sauces dressings desserts are made in house.Our style of cooking is Italian.We also have grilled, baked and fried seafood and for the non seafood eaters we have poultry,meat and vegetarian options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Out of the Blue reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (2)Show More
- best fish in bostonjpnewtonDined on 11/9/2014fabulous preparation, very fresh, good drinks, good service and modest pricing. on top of that they honor reservations in a timely fashion. who could ask for more.Special Features:
- nice dinnerdoteatsoutDined on 11/5/2014This was our first visit to Out of the Blue . It was very good - apps, entree, dessert. Blue fish was substantive and mouth watering. Everyone was pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Evening before ConcertDavisdenizenDined on 10/25/2014I have "lived" in The square (Davis)for 35 years and in spite of 50 + rated restaurants within 600 yards of Davis Square T station, this is a unique and reliable Mediterranean Seafood destination. I've nearly checked off each item on the current menu and have many favorites including Lobster Fra Diavolo, Baked Haddock and Linguini, etc. all with the lovely dry Rose from Crete. To owners, Steve, Lydia and Elaine and all the focused guys in the kitchen, I thank you for many hours of lovely dining and conversation with close friends, on Saturday evenings before a concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat. night during the Honk FestivalSubdharmabumDined on 10/11/2014We had another wonderful dinner with friends this past Saturday night. Although the Honk festival was underway in the square and the place was bursting at the seams they did a good job seating us close to the reservation time. The food was very good and fresh and the server was attentive, polite and took good care of us.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodKittyDined on 9/26/2014Best place around for fish! Wide variety of food options. We have never had a bad meal here! Loved our server Frank! He was attentive, personable and very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like salt and loud noise?openopentabletableDined on 9/19/2014The server (very welcoming staff, relatively attentive) mentioned that the seafood risotto was his favorite. I hope he hydrates a ton, because that was one salty dish! In general, all the dishes in our 5-top were mostly flavorless, except for salt. :/
- GinnyDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful lunch. The food was delicious and the waiter was very attentive. We will go back again!Special Features:
- PerfectCarlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Cioppini to die for. Fresh vibrant salads. Nice, moderately priced Geek wine. Warm service. What more to ask on a summer night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This place is a great place to go if you are looking for something less crowded in Davis Square. The food is really good and the service quick and pleasant.
- Too quietscottyVIPDined on 8/21/2014I really enjoyed our server. I didn't catch his name, but he was young up beat and communicative. The oysters were fab- one of my favorite things to splurge on when I go out. My only complaint is one of them were bad- and I was still charged for it. The meals weren't up to par. My fiancé got the surf and turf and I had the clams and fettucini. The presentation needs work and the flavor needs sprucing. The calamari was awesome- the batter was flavorful. If it weren't for the server, we probably wouldn't have enjoyed ourselves.
- Amazing place!xxxxDined on 7/26/2014Fantastic food and service. One of best seafood restaurants in Boston area. Unassuming and very pleasant. Good for all ages, size of parties, and occasions.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Out of the Blue reviews archive.
- friendly fish!BSOgirlVIPDined on 7/26/2014A great place for a post-movie dinner. Owners are friendly, and made a minor modification happily.Special Features:
- Delicious!!!DatenightDined on 7/25/2014My friend and I both got the salmon, which was amazing. My husband got the seafood risotto and he said that was delish as well. My friends hubby got lobster far diavlo, loved it. Apps were delicious and the service was great. We have been there before and will go back again. Now if I could just get something other than the salmon. LolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cad128Dined on 6/22/2014Always dependable, wait staff is terrific, reasonably priced
- outstanding meal and serviceBostonVisitorDined on 6/21/2014We've gone there many times over the years and always enjoyed it. They topped there best on Saturday night - the BEST 3 dishes we ever had. We just kept eating off of each other's plates so we could enjoy all the flavors. Wow!Special Features:
- Personal AttentionRestaurantRegularVIPDined on 6/13/2014We had such a great evening here - Charlie, our server was excellent. In addition to great overall service, he helped us figure out our cocktail flavor preferences and made each of us amazing drinks - Vanilla Vodka Gimlet for me - yummy. The food was terrific - a great night all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I forgot how good the food was hereNandrewDined on 6/13/2014We used to have dinner at Out of the Blue on a semi-regular basis, but I hadn't been in a few years. Everything we ordered was delicious. The dishes we had included: fried calamari appetizer (you might want to ask for more lemon slices), linguini with littleneck clams (several of us got this and were happy we did), fried fish and clam platter. Delicious tiramisu for dessert.Special Features:
- great valuejpnewtonDined on 6/7/2014great food, good drinks, terrific staff, and all at very moderate pricing for the quality. VERY good about honoring our reservation !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian place, not a seafood placeGingernaiDined on 6/7/2014The food was delicious but right out of a70s Italian restaurant. Our waitress was outstanding! It is a very small place and the noise level is really high. I was disappointed that they only served 3 kinds of fish: haddock, salmon and swordfish. The rest were shellfish and meat.Special Features:
- Great Seafood in "The Square"CAG2Dined on 6/6/2014We enjoy the great seafood at "Out of the Blue". Usually have the Fried Clam appetizer. This visit we had Swordfish and Stuffed Shrimp. Food was excellent - service good. On our list to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly GoodBuffaloBillDined on 5/11/2014We read reviews online and people seemed impressed by the quality of the food, so we decided to give this Davis Square restaurant a try. We got a bit of reservers' remorse when we approached the storefront, which is a little dated looking. When we entered, we were greatest by a wonderful blast of garlicky aroma that tipped us off--the food would be something to remember. We stood at the door for a bit, it seemed like there was one guy who was playing waiter, expediter, and host and just a few others bringing out food and bussing tables. Good came out surprisingly quick and everything we ordered was delicious and well prepared. It isn't the elegantly plated seafood you will find elsewhere, but it's great for a quality affordable seafood fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014Extremely fresh oysters! Our senses were treated to wonderful aromas up walking in the door. Sign and store could use a lift...we had visited location next door multiple times and didn't know your restaurant was there. Not, to mention so...good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and iindoor scenic viewsbosbobVIPDined on 5/9/2014Out of the Blue has so many wonderful gifts from the blue seas!! The murals are go good it feels like eating next to the ocean. Staff are top notch.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gemout2eatDined on 5/3/2014This place is upscale dining in a casual atmosphere. The seafood is fresh and the menu outstanding. We've been going to this restaurant for years and it is consistently very good. The hipsters can have their noisy Davis Square Bars (which can be fun) but if you want really great food in a restaurant where you can have a conversation.Special Features:
- An average good placeDhanVIPDined on 4/27/2014We liked the creativity shown on the menu, like the 'Red pepper salad' and the 'broccoli - spinach appetizer', both of which were well prepared, tasty and well presented. Most other items were average. Out of the Blue is an average but nice restaurant with reasonable prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not amazingAnnieDined on 4/19/2014Everything we ordered was okay, but nothing was great. Overall, it was a good dinner out, but nothing amazing.
- Always goodCaptainHaddockVIPDined on 4/12/2014Good seafood expertly prepared with classic saucing. Great value. Service is very good. Wine list small but you should find something you like. Dessert choice tiny but all home made and very good indeed. The restaurant is so small the chefs can see when you have finished your appetizer and fire the main at the right time. When food is ready it comes to the table immediately and does not sit under a heat lamp. Not fancy at all and one of the best seafood restaurants around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food at reasonable pricesgwerlinichDined on 3/22/2014After reading all the glowing reviews, I booked a dinner with a friend. I found the food to be ok, but honestly nothing special. It took a while after we sat down before someone brought us our menus and took a drink order. The crab cakes didn't seem to have much crab in them. The salmon special was overly laden with sauce and the sweet potato wasn't cooked enough. The prices were very reasonable though, making the food a better value. Overall, I'd have to guess there are better meals elsewhere.Special Features:
- Food Variable - Place Noisyanimallover1VIPDined on 3/22/2014We selected this restaurant as a neighborhood opportunity. Unfortunately, we selected swordfish as an entrée. It was dry, and not edible. Clam chowder was OK,. Scallops were outstanding. Bottom line - variable food quality.Special Features:
- A gem in Davis SquareKittyDined on 3/5/2014This place is fabulous! The service is outstanding and the food is fresh and delicious. Great menu selection and they cater to special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2014Delicious Italian seafood. The grilled octopus appetizer was tender and flavorful, scallops and pasta was simple and brought out the flavors of the scallops, mahi-mahi special made me think for a minute I might be in Florida instead of Somerville. Wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. The restaurant was on the noisy side but we could hear each other without difficulty when seated at our table. Happy to find this place in Zagat's--would definitely go back if I were in the area.Special Features:
- Local FavoritePaulDined on 2/15/2014We had reservations for a party of 7 on Saturday night of Valentines Weekend. Table set up in small alcove of restaurant for us that provided privacy and ample space to talk and enjoy a great meal. Owners Steve & Lydia make you feel like you are eating in their home kitchen. Friendly atmosphere. If it's not spelled out on the menu, just ask. They will do whatever you want in preparation, variation of seafood. Very accomodating! Food is always fresh, nicely prepared and just enough for reasonable pricing. Why go to overpriced, over advertised, seafood restaurants when Out of Blue is the best. A neighborhood gem that everyone needs to visit and go back over and over again.Special Features:
- No-Frills Italian SeafoodDYBBUKDined on 2/14/2014The food was well prepared and seafood very fresh. We ordered a Vouvray that was available by the glass -- too sweet -- like a desert wine! We ordered a Sancerre, --quite good but rather expensive. The fried calimari, caesar salad, frutte di mare and clams in white sauce were all above average. Not quite the North End but fine for a neighborhood night out. Ordinary white bread - would prefer pain de compagne. Nothing especially romantic or special for Valentine's Day. Strange that the lights kept dimming too -- some kind of electrical problem. But the service was very attentive and the food was good. There is plenty of parking at that end of Davis Square and The cannoli was outstanding -- what more does one need?
- Best seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Really excellent food quality, that surprised me. Service was adequate. My only issue, is it was extremely loud. But that would not stop me from going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Davis Square Gem!KK1029VIPDined on 2/7/2014Out of the Blue is our go to restaurant when we want to relax, be pampered and enjoy excellent food. This family owned and run restaurant cares about its food and takes excellent care of the people is serves. Meal pacing is excellent and we continue to try and enjoy new dishes. It is a lovely place in a great location and I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Davis Square favoriteLaurieADined on 2/4/2014We leave just a few blocks away and it is our go-to favorite in the square. We've been back several times and the food is always fresh and tasty. Good wine list and beers.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/26/2014Every time we go, we are very satisfied and happy customers! The food is ALWAYS perfect, and the service is great. If you haven't tried it, you must!!Special Features:
- Good food but...NacoDined on 1/19/2014We really enjoyed the food a lot and loved that they had gluten free options. However, it seemed to take a really long time to get the food, especially since it did not seem that busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic seafood, fair processtheelkVIPDined on 1/17/2014The family could not have been more pleased. The was great variety on the menu and everything was perfectly cooked to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood and red sauceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/10/2014This is the food people expect from a good restaurant in the North End (but seldom find in the North End). Red sauce, pasta & seafood. A few special things on the menu - the octopus app is great, but a lot of uniquely Italian dishes - e.g., no scungilli or sardines. Service is courteous and prompt. Ambience in o.k. Not too noisy. Much better than many Boston icons like Giacomo's. Did I mention that there is ample street parking? Davis square still has a vibe. So for a straight ahead Italian seafood place with reasonable prices, it hits the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.