New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ouestny.com/
- Phone: 212-580-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Tue: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Wed - Thu: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Fri: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Sat: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sun: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Starting Sunday, September 21, 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Valenti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ouest
Ouest is a contemporary American Bistro, highly regarded on the Upper West Side and citywide. Executive Chef/Owner Thomas Valenti has created an oasis of fine dining and fine wines in a casual but sophisticated environment. If there is a special occasion (i.e. birthday, anniversary), please let us know if you would like a candle in dessert.Continued
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ouest reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (105)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (65)romantic (45)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (20)good for groups (16)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always a treatWhineNDineDined on 10/27/2014I am never disappointed--the food, atmosphere...and especially the service is excellent. They are also extremely open when we bring in our own wines--they are extremely nice and the corkage is reasonable.Special Features:
- Fine Noon Sunday Brunch at OuestIrishfe53VIPDined on 10/26/2014A special occasion place for brunch. Lovely wood paneled room. Small but carefully designed brunch menu. Good coffee. Large portions. Very good bread basket with enough to take home. Caring staff.Special Features:
- Of all the other places...autodidactDined on 10/23/2014...one can go in Manhattan, Ouest is always lovely. Lively without being raucous, food is consistently delicious and the service friendly casual but very attentive. A real NY dining experience in that it is sophisticated, unstuffy and has an old fashioned (in a good way) feel. Like a neighborhood restaurant in a perfect city. Our Ouest!Special Features:
- lightfootlightfootVIPDined on 10/23/2014Had a birthday dinner and was not disappointed with anything. Reliable food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemnjfedsWEADined on 10/22/2014Always wonderful and a great meal us the norm here. Love Ouest and love that we have it on the Upper West SideI would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortable and dependable22sylvia22Dined on 10/21/2014I have been to Ouest many times. The service is excellent. I like to sit in the back in the booths, as the noise level is low and the booths give a sense of intimacy. The salad with artichokes and mussels was delicious. The quail and the pork chop were delicious. Unfortunately, I ordered halibut, and I found it bland and unappetizing. The sides were inedible: a tough green and a oil infused eggplant slice. This was uncharacteristic of my experience there. I would return despite the fact that my food did not appeal to me. The servers were so gracious. Our dining partners were late, and everyone was respectful and accommodating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/20/2014Hadn't been there in a while but it still remains consistently great! Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014Lovely, slightly old-style, clubby room (red leather banquettes) was promising as were many of the reviews I'd read, but service was dismal and food, halibut in my case, was no better than ordinary. I ordered a drink and our entrees were served before before I'd had five sips of it. I pointed this out to the server who replied, "You didn't order a first course," which was both argumentative and insulting. I wouldn't consider returning to this restaurant.
- Always GoodgoodmannersDined on 10/15/2014Ouest never fails to make for an enjoyable evening with good food, attentive service and at atmosphere where you can talk and hear what your dinner partners are saying. The West Side is SO lucky to have this wonderful place to turn to for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit stagnantalicedDined on 10/15/2014This was once one of my favorite food spots, but now its just ordinary. Kitchen seems tired- with food over cooked, not gorgeously presented and not an original menu. So basically over priced for what I would now call a neighborhood restaurant that served very predictable food. Disappointed.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerBarryDined on 10/14/2014My wife and I went to Ouest for our anniversary dinner. The drinks were excellent, the menu was varied and enjoyable, and the food was goooood. Plus, when we made the reservation, we mentioned that it was our anniversary and someone thought to put a candle in our dessert -- a nice touch. My only complaint is that our banquette was repaired with red duct tape (sort of tacky) -- but if that's my only complaint that's not bad at all!Special Features:
- Lovely find!!MaxismomDined on 10/12/2014Right in my neighborhood, I found this gem of a restaurant! Happily, I can say that when we met friends for brunch, we were greeted warmly, served promptly, enjoyed our rather "plentiful" & very delectable choices, & truly enjoyed the lovely atmosphere!!! We stayed quite a while after finishing our meal, looking at wedding pics, & were courteously waited upon with drink refills, & no feeling that we had overstayed our welcome! We will now count Ouest among one of our favorite choices, when dining out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We both had a fantastic meal and experience. She had the mussel and artichoke salad, and halibut. I had the steak tartare and seared scallops. Everything was incredibly flavorful and perfectly done. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Not as good as in the pastJoeGVIPDined on 10/10/2014Service spotty on a Saturday night. Server went missing a few times; coffee cold. Snails tasteless; quail dry. Used to be first rate. At these prices, be careful. I hope they get back on track.Special Features:
- Treated like royaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My husband and I just went for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We sat at the same table where my husband proposed nearly 3 years ago. The entire staff was so incredibly gracious and it was a very special evening. Special thanks to Tim, our waiter.Special Features:
- outstanding mealevavitaDined on 10/5/2014Ouest does not disappoint. Fantastic fresh baked breads, delicious soup, love the chickpea and smoked salmon dish...I think their coffee needs work - not hot or strong enough. But nice place and lovely meal. My first time there for brunch and it's nicely quiet - dinner is always busy but I enjoyed being able to talk to friends in a calm environment and not the usual frenetic brunch atmosphere that exists on the UWS and elsewhere.Special Features:
- Just a poor dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2014We made the reservation for around 9pm on a Thursday night. The restaurant was not crowded when we arrived but we were placed at a table upstairs next to some sort of plate/silverware disposal area. Throughout the dinner, my wife was walked into by the clearing staff. At one point, with virtually no one in the restaurant, one clearer spent about 5 minutes rattling dirty silverware behind us. Just ridiculous. Add the mediocre food (a very fatty pork chop) and you have a poor dining experience. We will not be back.
- PRE BEACON SHOW DINNERJEATSDined on 10/1/2014Needed to find a place to eat that was close to the Beacon Theater. This restaurant satisfied that requirement, as well as provide a very balanced menu of apps and main courses, as well as prompt and courteous service. The meals were very good. The clientele seemed to be a good mix of business people, locals, and tourists. We'll go there again.Special Features:
- MashDined on 9/28/2014Disappointing. Early Sunday evening they were already out of two main dishes. They had no specials. After my kids ordered the soup of the day, the waiter came back claiming he made a mistake and the soup had changed. Left us scrambling to reorder. I ordered the soup anyway and had to return it because it was cold. Not a great experience.
- UWS "go too" placeSkipBuzzVIPDined on 9/21/2014Reliable UWSer with outstanding, uncomplicated fare. OK wine list but a bit pricy. Inviting ambiance. Very Good, friendly service. When in the area and in doubt this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mamaskiVIPDined on 9/17/2014Food is always so good. A pleasure to return to time and again.Special Features:
- Worst dinner experienceAlfrescaDined on 9/15/2014We have been to Ouest many times in the past, at one time it was a 'notable' neighborhood joint. We opted to go for our wedding anniversary because it was a Monday night and we just wanted a low key but delicious meal. Were we disappointed!! Something has gone quite wrong over there. The snails appetizer were mistakenly served on rice, the salad watery and wiltedly overdressed. My steak was gray and dry not pink and juicy as requested. I sent it back but by the time it was redelivered I was done. The dessert would have been better in a diner. But the worst was the service, inattentive and uncomfortable, a bored waiter and a maitre d' who never once came to our table. Luckily we are so in love after 24 years, nothing could spoil our night!
- over pricedsusanVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was good but it is over priced and VERY noisy.
- EllisDined on 9/14/2014Always have a good experience at Ouest. Waiter was particularly professional and effective. Food quite good, as usual.Special Features:
- starfoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Even though we once loved Ouest, reality has set in and for what they are charging, one should get more bang for the buck. 3 sea scallops for $34? Ouch. $29 for chicken. An overpriced wine list. $15 for a relatively skimpy martini. I don't believe we will be going back any more (almost $200 for an early dinner on a Sunday for two - too much!).Special Features:
- A ClassicBeanballDined on 9/13/2014The reception and service at Ouest are warm and professional, and the atmosphere is elegant and relaxing. The food is very good, including the roast salmon, roast trout, ravioli in broth and the seasonal mixed greens with a lively parmesan dressing. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit tiredeaterlyDined on 9/10/2014I had heard that this was the best on the UWS. What we found was uninspired cooking. The Roqufort and endive salad was limp, the marinated beet salad was just diced beets on sour cream, and the double cooked pork chop was both too thick and undercooked. When we left I thought that we would have done better in the hamburger joint next door.Special Features:
- upper west side winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014always a terrific meal at Ouest. The restaurant was busy but we never knew - the staff was attentive and the food was delicious. We had a wonderful celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014The short ribs with cavatelli was lick-the-plate delicious and the creamed spinach was so good. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ed in the AppleedintheappleDined on 9/5/2014Excellent French inspired cuisine, spacious, considerate service, fairly priced, lovely eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picky6VIPDined on 9/4/2014Unfortunately our order was quite delayed and although we were given complementary wine and dessert it did not make up for the hour delay. Something is terribly wrong in the kitchen and needs to be fixed.Special Features:
- Good mealWestside4dinnerDined on 9/2/2014Good food carefully prepared, especially the skate. Pleasant service and a good atmosphere. Recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencedoitagainDined on 8/19/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner at Ouest. We started at the bar where the bartender was very engaging and made excellent drinks. Dinner was excellent, the service was fantastic, and the price was reasonable. We had a very nice experience and would definitely go back to Ouest.Special Features:
- Excellentjayb123VIPDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week menu was great and varied and totally excellent. All around great meal with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's bday dinnerAstronginVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went during restaurant week and was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful selection on the prix fixed menu. The service was wonderful they brought a dessert with a candle for my son's birthday. We had a great experience here. I would definitely go back, Even not during restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under cooked and under impressedUWSguyDined on 8/14/2014My pork chop came out raw in the middle - twice! By the 3rd time it was put back on the heat so many times it would have been a better doorstop. An overpriced $30 waste. This place has gone downhill since opening.... Icing on the cake was manger did apologize but offer to comp. Mistake, big mistake.
- Terribly DisappointedDeDeVIPDined on 8/12/2014Went Restaurant Week. Service was terrible and the food was not far behind. WAITED over 40 minutes for main entree. Several other tables in my section we verbalizing the same problems.
- Wonderful experiencefoodluvr4Dined on 8/8/2014The barley salad was exceptional and the ravioli, superb! A warm, inviting atmosphere and excellent staff. Great place!Special Features:
- Love this placeJTNYCVIPDined on 8/7/2014What a wonderful restaurant. Wonderful food in a great atmosphere. This time I had the nicest waiter ever (not always the case) Someday Opentable is going to offer you the option of requesting specific waiters - think about how great that option will be. But regardless of who serves you this is a great place for a social dinner, or a business dinner. Never used it for a romantic dinner, but I bet that would work as well.
- Ouest is the best!mmediaVIPDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I are loyal, long-time customers. This time we brought another food-wise couple from outside the city, and they raved about the entire experience. The food was splendid, the service good and the noise level fine. Ouest has won two new friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.