New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ouestny.com/
- Phone: 212-580-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Tue: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Wed - Thu: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Fri: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Sat: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sun: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Starting Sunday, September 21, 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Valenti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ouest
Ouest is a contemporary American Bistro, highly regarded on the Upper West Side and citywide. Executive Chef/Owner Thomas Valenti has created an oasis of fine dining and fine wines in a casual but sophisticated environment. If there is a special occasion (i.e. birthday, anniversary), please let us know if you would like a candle in dessert.Continued
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ouest reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (83)special occasion (66)romantic (47)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (21)great for brunch (14)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Food is always so good. A pleasure to return to time and again.Special Features:
- over pricedsusanVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food was good but it is over priced and VERY noisy.
- EllisDined on 9/14/2014Always have a good experience at Ouest. Waiter was particularly professional and effective. Food quite good, as usual.Special Features:
- starfoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014Even though we once loved Ouest, reality has set in and for what they are charging, one should get more bang for the buck. 3 sea scallops for $34? Ouch. $29 for chicken. An overpriced wine list. $15 for a relatively skimpy martini. I don't believe we will be going back any more (almost $200 for an early dinner on a Sunday for two - too much!).Special Features:
- A bit tiredeaterlyDined on 9/10/2014I had heard that this was the best on the UWS. What we found was uninspired cooking. The Roqufort and endive salad was limp, the marinated beet salad was just diced beets on sour cream, and the double cooked pork chop was both too thick and undercooked. When we left I thought that we would have done better in the hamburger joint next door.Special Features:
- upper west side winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014always a terrific meal at Ouest. The restaurant was busy but we never knew - the staff was attentive and the food was delicious. We had a wonderful celebration dinner.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014The short ribs with cavatelli was lick-the-plate delicious and the creamed spinach was so good. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ed in the AppleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Excellent French inspired cuisine, spacious, considerate service, fairly priced, lovely eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picky6VIPDined on 9/4/2014Unfortunately our order was quite delayed and although we were given complementary wine and dessert it did not make up for the hour delay. Something is terribly wrong in the kitchen and needs to be fixed.Special Features:
- Good mealWestside4dinnerDined on 9/2/2014Good food carefully prepared, especially the skate. Pleasant service and a good atmosphere. Recommended.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencedoitagainDined on 8/19/2014My girlfriend and I had dinner at Ouest. We started at the bar where the bartender was very engaging and made excellent drinks. Dinner was excellent, the service was fantastic, and the price was reasonable. We had a very nice experience and would definitely go back to Ouest.Special Features:
- Excellentjayb123VIPDined on 8/14/2014Restaurant week menu was great and varied and totally excellent. All around great meal with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's bday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014We went during restaurant week and was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful selection on the prix fixed menu. The service was wonderful they brought a dessert with a candle for my son's birthday. We had a great experience here. I would definitely go back, Even not during restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- under cooked and under impressedUWSguyDined on 8/14/2014My pork chop came out raw in the middle - twice! By the 3rd time it was put back on the heat so many times it would have been a better doorstop. An overpriced $30 waste. This place has gone downhill since opening.... Icing on the cake was manger did apologize but offer to comp. Mistake, big mistake.
- Terribly DisappointedDeDeVIPDined on 8/12/2014Went Restaurant Week. Service was terrible and the food was not far behind. WAITED over 40 minutes for main entree. Several other tables in my section we verbalizing the same problems.
- Wonderful experiencefoodluvr4Dined on 8/8/2014The barley salad was exceptional and the ravioli, superb! A warm, inviting atmosphere and excellent staff. Great place!Special Features:
- Love this placeJTNYCVIPDined on 8/7/2014What a wonderful restaurant. Wonderful food in a great atmosphere. This time I had the nicest waiter ever (not always the case) Someday Opentable is going to offer you the option of requesting specific waiters - think about how great that option will be. But regardless of who serves you this is a great place for a social dinner, or a business dinner. Never used it for a romantic dinner, but I bet that would work as well.
- Ouest is the best!mmediaVIPDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I are loyal, long-time customers. This time we brought another food-wise couple from outside the city, and they raved about the entire experience. The food was splendid, the service good and the noise level fine. Ouest has won two new friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty dinner, nice ambienceDhahran1980Dined on 8/5/2014My wife and I went here during restaurant week and had a very nice dinner. My appetizer, a lemon risotto with snails, and the entree, a river trout were both excellent. My wife had an excellent gazpacho and the river trout as well. The desserts were also excellent. The server was attentive but not overbearing. The overall experience was very good and I would not hesitate to go back next time I'm in New York City.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/4/2014Been going here for years, since it first opened. Used to be a regular until the front of the house and staff changed and I moved a bit further downtown. Food is consistently good. Bartenders are always welcoming and professional. Wait staff not at all friendly and clearly were annoyed and impatient that we sat at 9pm on a monday night. Wanted us to order right away. Didn't seem to care at all that we were trying to relax. In the future, I wouldn't go back on a monday close to 9pm, too annoying.Special Features:
- NoisyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Restaurant week prix fixe very well chosen; food was delicious.Special Features:
- Review of OuestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Live on th east side, food was ok, but probably won't be back. Too many better restaurants in NYC to return or try.Special Features:
- Louise87Dined on 8/1/2014This was a NYC restaurant week visit...Ouest offered more than the usual choices on their menu! All quite good and well presented. I live on the UWS, but it's worth the trip for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Considering the price the food was disappointing, much below the level of the last two times I dined at this restaurant. Our waiter was unfriendly, service was very spotty and very slow. It took about 15 minutes for our entrees to come after the appetizer, and when our dinner dishes were cleared away it was about ten minutes before anyone came to take our dessert order. By that time our regular waiter had apparently abandoned our table and another very pleasant waiter took over. In the past I have raved about the food here. Not this time.
- Not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014For many many years I have said Ouest is my favorite restaurant. Sadly, we ad a dissapointing meal there during restuarant week. it seemed like they were trying to create a less expensive menu and they disn't offer good options. Also, for the first time, we had a bunch of different waiters instead of one waiter. Not good.Special Features:
- Went DownhillGpinNYCDined on 7/30/2014There was a time way back when I recall Ouest being one of the better places on the UWS. For restaurant week, we had an unfortunate combination of decent but not exciting appetizers and main courses. The desert might have been the highlight but nothing to write home about. Moreover, the waiter was inattentive if not rude and on top of it, credit card billing issues. I saw either a concierge or manager floating about but this person had not the sense to manage expectations let alone the staff. I really can't recommend someone dine here.
- 4/5 starsuesdineDined on 7/30/2014SCENE: Fun red seating booths, nice interior. Older, local crowd or couples on dates. FOOD: Went with 3 friends for Restaurant Week - delicious wine, mixed reviews on the food: loved the gazpacho (amazing flavor), the raviola was a bit plain but not bad, the passion fruit dessert was out of this world (also tasted the steak entree which was ok, nothing special and the chocolate cake, also nothing special). SERVICE: Service was ok, 3/5 stars. Our waiter made a point to say he only had one more fish entree left and then he said he only had one more of one of the desserts left. We found this odd.. like he didn't want us to order it?! Otherwise he was fine..Special Features:
- We had the restaurant week menuCiaoDined on 7/30/2014The appetizers were great, I had the gazpacho, my friend had the risotto. Then we both had the hanger steak entree, I never ate a steak so tough, both of us felt it was inedible. Normally, I would have sent them back, but my friend didn't want to wait for another meal. The deserts were both excellent, I had the panna cotta, he had the lemon tart. So, only the main course was a complete miss, which surprised me, as Quest has always been known for their meats!!!
- Great UWS experiencefoodfeedback47Dined on 7/29/2014The service was outstanding and the food was excellent. The risotto appetizer was truly great, as was the hanger steak. The was the first time my wife and I have been to Ouest and it will not be our last. We enjoyed everything about the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/29/2014Ouest is a GREAT gem on the Upper West Side! We are NEVER disappointed!!!! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2014My wife and I had dinner on Sunday. We've been there several times. The restaurant is excellent, reliable and quiet. We had the Restaurant Week Menu. We had the lemon risotto with snails, the ocean trout and the deserts, which were very tasty. When we arrived, the hostess seated us right away. The service is very well organized and efficient. The waiter was very nice and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On top of it!AidenVIPDined on 7/27/2014Escargot was great as well as my skirt steak. I asked for a high chair when I made a reservation on opentable and they had it all set up! Surprisingly, most restaurants forget about it and you have to remind them when you get there. But at Ouest, they were on top of it!Special Features:
- Very good restaurant great ambianceNickDined on 7/25/2014The food is quite good. At a lower price point, it would get 5 stars but for $30-$40 per entree the expectation is quite high and the food nearly delivers. Presentation is very nice, and the flavor and technique are at a high level. Everything we had was quite good - the barley salad was fun and tangy, the escargot were very nicely prepared, pork and steak were very nicely done and presented. The desserts were rather small and disappointing, though, except for the cappuccino sundae which was excellent. Ambiance is great, feels like an old-timey place with red leather benches, but also definite modern feel with the fixtures. Overall, I would recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceYoYemiODined on 7/24/2014Food was great, waiter was delightful. I'm pretty sure anything you order will end up delicious.Special Features:
- OuestVoraciousDined on 7/23/2014I've been here many times, but this was my first Restaurant Week experience. My friend and I started with lemon risotto with escargots, which we agreed was delicious. This was followed by a smoked pork chop entree and a hanger steak entree. Both good, not great. I'm not usually a fan of prix-fixe meals, and this confirmed my feelings. I love this restaurant, and would much rather choose from their regular menu which does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceabogos79VIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was very good, and the ambiance is great, the service however was really slow. 6:30 reservation and did not leave until close to 10pm. For ex. ordered bottle of wine, the server presented bottle but did not return to pour for twenty minutes. In addition, the hostess assumed our long-winded dinner was due to our conversing, as she came over at one point and asked us to relocate to the bar because she needed the table--she did offer to buy us drinks to make up for the fact which we said no. At that point we were actually trying to leave and waiting for the server to charge our credit cards so it was upsetting. The host should have checked with the server about the table and would have learned that we were trying to settle our bill.Special Features:
- Dinner during NY Restaurant WeekNYC2dayDined on 7/23/2014Dined for the first time at this restaurant during restaurant week. Had looked on the website at the menu and decor. The red leather booths and atmosphere were mentioned. Had an early reservation at 5:30 pm for two people. Restaurant at that time was almost empty yet we were taken upstairs to an area with wooden square tables with table cloths. As the restaurant began to fill up, there were several tables downstairs with the red leather seating where two people sat at one end and another party was seated a few chairs away. The dining venue wasn't what I expected; however, the food was delicious and portion sizes larger than other NY restaurants. The lemon risotto was outstanding. Very convenient location for dinner before Beacon Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS staple going strongnonstanioDined on 7/22/2014Red leather banquettes and mellow wood paneling lend grown-up sophistication, a rare pleasure on the kid-friendly UWS. Food is consistently solid and worth the price, especially the prix fixe option. Unfortunately they had run out of the featured rose and warm-weather gazpacho by 8:30 when we ordered dinner. Other pleasant choices were found, so hardly a disaster. But still a small disappointment on an otherwise lovely evening.Special Features:
- Lots of BeansSRK1234Dined on 7/22/2014We dined here during Restaurant Week and didn't realize this was a participating restaurant until we were leaving and noticed the menus. Our server did not provide us with menus. I ordered the Octopus and bean appetizer and it was predominantly beans. There were so many beans in the dish it was comical. Given the excellent reviews, we were expecting a better experience.
- UWS GEMGigsDined on 7/22/2014Ate there pre-concert. The food was divine! Soft shell crabs with a rice corn side, nothing was left. Martini was best ever!. Beautiful red leather banquet seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.