New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ouestny.com/
- Phone: (212) 580-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Tue: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Wed - Thu: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Fri: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Sat: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Sun: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Starting Sunday, September 21, 2014
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game, French
- Executive Chef: Thomas Valenti
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ouest
Ouest is a contemporary American Bistro, highly regarded on the Upper West Side and citywide. Executive Chef/Owner Thomas Valenti has created an oasis of fine dining and fine wines in a casual but sophisticated environment. If there is a special occasion (i.e. birthday, anniversary), please let us know if you would like a candle in dessert.Continued
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Corkage fee; $30. If you bring your own cake, it is a $3 per person plate charge.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ouest reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)fit for foodies (79)special occasion (59)romantic (46)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)great for lunch (4)Show More
- Wonderful evening with friendstravel4foodVIPDined on 11/25/2014Excellent food, beautifully presented but not too fussy, comfortable booths perfect for two couples to enjoy conversation. A perfect evening. We enjoyed all the dishes we had but the trout appetizer was particularly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be really good. Not now.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/18/2014Ouest was always a reliably tasty place, with good food and service and a nice neighborhood feel. This time the food was over-salted but otherwise tasteless, and the menu diminished. Very sad, because there are so few remarkable neighborhood restaurants on the upper west side. The service is still good, but the quality of the food is now poor. Clearly others feel the same way, because the dining room was only half-filled.
- Little problemsTomKDined on 11/16/2014The waiter was clearly new, arguing with my companion about the drink she ordered until I asked him to check with the bartender, which he did, returning with her drink as she ordered it but forgetting to get my order for a drink. It took 3 tries of ordering a bottle of wine off their list until we found one they actually had. The food was excellent, and overall, the meal was quite good. Definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many better options in NYCSusanVIPDined on 11/15/2014None of us were particularly happy with our meal. The best thing I had was the artichoke and mussel salad - that was excellent. I had the seabass which tasted bad - my brother was convinced it was really flounder, but would they do that in such a nice restaurant? My brother had a scallops which were okay. Even the apple bread pudding was just fair. They have some work to do.
- Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014We - the three other members of my immediate family, a soon-to-be-addition, and I had dinner last Saturday night. I think, it is fair to say, we enjoyed the meal greatly, but maybe for the reasons we were eating together and celebrating an engagement than the restaurant. Three of us had the swordfish special, one the quail, and one the hanger steak. We had ordered two servings of creamed spinach, but only one came. The wine was good, and I thought fairly priced. The swordfish varied widely. My daughter's seemed fantastic. Mine was good, but for $30 I had expected more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and lovely ambianceMomotomDined on 11/14/2014I brought two friends here for a special evening together and both the food and environment were wonderful. We were seated in the lower level near the open kitchen which was a little loud, but other than that the experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RockyVIPDined on 11/13/2014We were 6 people who were disappointed that the prix fixe dinner was not available. Our server made every effort to accommodate us which was the best part of the evening.Special Features:
- Fulfills expectationfoodieVIPDined on 11/10/2014My last few visits have not been great (long wait for reserved table, deafening noise, indifferent service), but the restaurant seems to have done a correction and all the former problems solved. The food is reliably good and the service much better.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemjdineDined on 11/9/2014Ouest is expensive but very good. Cosmopolitan I had was one of the best I've had. Only the first level where the bar is is handicapped accessible so it was a bit noisy and I think not as elegant as the price level warrants. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable eveningJayePDined on 11/8/2014My college friend and I met our daughters in NYC for a weekend of catch-up and shopping. My friend suggested Ouest and we were fortunate enough to get a reservation that same night. Our server was absolutely wonderful and paced our evening perfectly. He gave us time to chat over a glass of wine before taking our order, then brought our courses out in perfect spacing for leisurely dining. The food was perfectly prepared, beautifully presented, and delicious! Ouest helped make our "girls" weekend one we will remember with fondness. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They May snoot Open tableBewareOpenTablereserversDined on 11/8/2014We arrived, one of us with a cane. They tok us to the most remote table up the stairs with many other tables open. They changed it reluctantly when we protested. Many mistakes in the order. The waiter was fine.
- Excellent food and serviceSaraDined on 11/7/2014Our server Jarrod was amazing. Knowledgeable efficient and funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingsaraVIPDined on 11/4/2014Ouest used to be good. It was far less so. Fish (brook trout) was on the edge of old & not well prepared; their signature dish (salmon gravlax) was better but not great. Desserts fair. Won't be back.
- Food has taken a major nosedive.JoyceDined on 11/3/2014Winter squash soup should have been called bacon soup, gravlax dry and super-salty, even salad dressing mediocre and buried in Parmesan. Steak greasy, etc. A train wreck of a meal. Very disappointing.
- A must go to restaurantSummerbreezeDined on 11/1/2014We took my husband here for his 70th birthday celebration. It couldn't have been better. EVERYTHING was wonderful! The service was excellent! My daughter and I had the snails with lemon risotto -- fabulous. The bread made me feel that I eating in Paris. Everything that everyone ordered couldn't be better or more nicely presented. Every dish gets 5 stars. The ambiance in the restaurant is happy. A perfect place to dine. All six of us can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Getting old.HIN421VIPDined on 11/1/2014Ouest has been a neighborhood gem for many years and remains so externally, but the food is not great. The ambiance, décor and service are top notch. It seems like a great place, but the quality of the food is not up to the level of all else. The temperature of the food was all off. Hot dishes were too cool and cold dishes were almost freezing. Thus all the tastes were off. It seems diced elements to recipes left the dice too large making the texture odd. Herbs seemed to be all the wrong combinations. Endive salad was bland and all white, with no contrast in taste, texture or eye appeal. In sum the food was at best mediocre. Too bad...was a nice place to eat.
- First Time Was Great TimeMeeeVIPDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I decided to dine at Ouest on the last night of our 10-week visit to NYC. We wish there had been a few more nights as we would have returned. Difficult to come up with any suggestions - simply wonderful in every way!Special Features:
- Over-ratedMickyVIPDined on 10/30/2014Menu was not very exciting, food was average and service slow with attitude.Special Features:
- Good but...mikep244VIPDined on 10/27/2014Ouest was among the first quality dining spots on the UWS and remains so today. The food is good, but not great -- nor is it terribly inventive. It is also not cheap. The wine list is reasonable, but lacking in really interesting or unusual wines. The service is quite good and reasonably professional. And the tables are bit closer together than I find comfortable. While there is really nothing wrong with Ouest, neither did I experience anything that would make me want to hurry back.Special Features:
- Always a treatWhineNDineDined on 10/27/2014I am never disappointed--the food, atmosphere...and especially the service is excellent. They are also extremely open when we bring in our own wines--they are extremely nice and the corkage is reasonable.Special Features:
- Fine Noon Sunday Brunch at OuestIrishfe53VIPDined on 10/26/2014A special occasion place for brunch. Lovely wood paneled room. Small but carefully designed brunch menu. Good coffee. Large portions. Very good bread basket with enough to take home. Caring staff.Special Features:
- Of all the other places...autodidactDined on 10/23/2014...one can go in Manhattan, Ouest is always lovely. Lively without being raucous, food is consistently delicious and the service friendly casual but very attentive. A real NY dining experience in that it is sophisticated, unstuffy and has an old fashioned (in a good way) feel. Like a neighborhood restaurant in a perfect city. Our Ouest!Special Features:
- lightfootlightfootVIPDined on 10/23/2014Had a birthday dinner and was not disappointed with anything. Reliable food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemnjfedsWEADined on 10/22/2014Always wonderful and a great meal us the norm here. Love Ouest and love that we have it on the Upper West SideI would recommend this to a friend.
- comfortable and dependable22sylvia22Dined on 10/21/2014I have been to Ouest many times. The service is excellent. I like to sit in the back in the booths, as the noise level is low and the booths give a sense of intimacy. The salad with artichokes and mussels was delicious. The quail and the pork chop were delicious. Unfortunately, I ordered halibut, and I found it bland and unappetizing. The sides were inedible: a tough green and a oil infused eggplant slice. This was uncharacteristic of my experience there. I would return despite the fact that my food did not appeal to me. The servers were so gracious. Our dining partners were late, and everyone was respectful and accommodating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/20/2014Hadn't been there in a while but it still remains consistently great! Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCGAlexDined on 10/20/2014Lovely, slightly old-style, clubby room (red leather banquettes) was promising as were many of the reviews I'd read, but service was dismal and food, halibut in my case, was no better than ordinary. I ordered a drink and our entrees were served before before I'd had five sips of it. I pointed this out to the server who replied, "You didn't order a first course," which was both argumentative and insulting. I wouldn't consider returning to this restaurant.
- Always GoodgoodmannersDined on 10/15/2014Ouest never fails to make for an enjoyable evening with good food, attentive service and at atmosphere where you can talk and hear what your dinner partners are saying. The West Side is SO lucky to have this wonderful place to turn to for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit stagnantalicedDined on 10/15/2014This was once one of my favorite food spots, but now its just ordinary. Kitchen seems tired- with food over cooked, not gorgeously presented and not an original menu. So basically over priced for what I would now call a neighborhood restaurant that served very predictable food. Disappointed.
- Lovely anniversary dinnerBarryDined on 10/14/2014My wife and I went to Ouest for our anniversary dinner. The drinks were excellent, the menu was varied and enjoyable, and the food was goooood. Plus, when we made the reservation, we mentioned that it was our anniversary and someone thought to put a candle in our dessert -- a nice touch. My only complaint is that our banquette was repaired with red duct tape (sort of tacky) -- but if that's my only complaint that's not bad at all!Special Features:
- Lovely find!!MaxismomDined on 10/12/2014Right in my neighborhood, I found this gem of a restaurant! Happily, I can say that when we met friends for brunch, we were greeted warmly, served promptly, enjoyed our rather "plentiful" & very delectable choices, & truly enjoyed the lovely atmosphere!!! We stayed quite a while after finishing our meal, looking at wedding pics, & were courteously waited upon with drink refills, & no feeling that we had overstayed our welcome! We will now count Ouest among one of our favorite choices, when dining out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place, nice grubOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014this was my 4th visit here in last 5 years - it remains charming and authentic as to ambiance, the food was solid if not adventurous, and the prices continue to creep up - not sure if this is as good a value as it once was. wine list is ridiculously priced - wines by the glass were 15 and up. we had a bottle of cremant d'alsace that is available at Union Sq liquors for $22 marked up to 60. They treated our group of 7 very well - very professional service, food well presented and eminently edible - but $500 including service charge was a surprise (one non drinker and one just had one beer), given what you can still get in NYC for that money. Still, a solid choice - I still recommend it to out of towners who want a no stress meal on UWSSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014We both had a fantastic meal and experience. She had the mussel and artichoke salad, and halibut. I had the steak tartare and seared scallops. Everything was incredibly flavorful and perfectly done. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Not as good as in the pastJoeGVIPDined on 10/10/2014Service spotty on a Saturday night. Server went missing a few times; coffee cold. Snails tasteless; quail dry. Used to be first rate. At these prices, be careful. I hope they get back on track.Special Features:
- Treated like royaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2014My husband and I just went for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We sat at the same table where my husband proposed nearly 3 years ago. The entire staff was so incredibly gracious and it was a very special evening. Special thanks to Tim, our waiter.Special Features:
- outstanding mealevavitaVIPDined on 10/5/2014Ouest does not disappoint. Fantastic fresh baked breads, delicious soup, love the chickpea and smoked salmon dish...I think their coffee needs work - not hot or strong enough. But nice place and lovely meal. My first time there for brunch and it's nicely quiet - dinner is always busy but I enjoyed being able to talk to friends in a calm environment and not the usual frenetic brunch atmosphere that exists on the UWS and elsewhere.Special Features:
- Just a poor dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2014We made the reservation for around 9pm on a Thursday night. The restaurant was not crowded when we arrived but we were placed at a table upstairs next to some sort of plate/silverware disposal area. Throughout the dinner, my wife was walked into by the clearing staff. At one point, with virtually no one in the restaurant, one clearer spent about 5 minutes rattling dirty silverware behind us. Just ridiculous. Add the mediocre food (a very fatty pork chop) and you have a poor dining experience. We will not be back.
- PRE BEACON SHOW DINNERJEATSDined on 10/1/2014Needed to find a place to eat that was close to the Beacon Theater. This restaurant satisfied that requirement, as well as provide a very balanced menu of apps and main courses, as well as prompt and courteous service. The meals were very good. The clientele seemed to be a good mix of business people, locals, and tourists. We'll go there again.Special Features:
- MashDined on 9/28/2014Disappointing. Early Sunday evening they were already out of two main dishes. They had no specials. After my kids ordered the soup of the day, the waiter came back claiming he made a mistake and the soup had changed. Left us scrambling to reorder. I ordered the soup anyway and had to return it because it was cold. Not a great experience.
- UWS "go too" placeSkipBuzzVIPDined on 9/21/2014Reliable UWSer with outstanding, uncomplicated fare. OK wine list but a bit pricy. Inviting ambiance. Very Good, friendly service. When in the area and in doubt this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.