Otto's Restaurant and Bar
6405 Mineral point Road
Madison, WI 53705Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Otto's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ottosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6082744044x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm.
Bar: Opens 3:30 Tuesday - Friday; 4:30 Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Karl Granberg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Otto's accommodates semi-private and private parties of up to 40 guests in the top-floor dining room (accessible by stairs only). Customized menus are offered and our staff will work with you to fulfill special requests specific to your event.
- Private Party Contact: Kamil Tanyeri 6082744044x
- Entertainment: From Memorial Day through Labor Day, Otto's features live jazz performances Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 7:30, on our canopy-covered deck. Deck reservations can be made only by calling the restaurant directly.
A word from Otto's Restaurant and Bar
A locally-owned Madison favorite, Otto's is set in a beautifully restored 1870s stone farm house with two dining levels. The menu features creative, Mediterranean-inspired cuisine, fresh seafood and charbroiled Certified Angus Beef steaks. A friendly lower-level bar serves classic cocktails and fine wines, and half-price appetizers from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. Tuesday – Friday. Outdoor dining and live jazz are featured on the deck during the summer. From fall through spring a mid-week $25 three-course Chef's Tasting Menu is offered. Otto's is not recommended for parties with children under the age of 7.Continued
Note: Online reservations are available for the dining rooms only. Bar and deck table reservations must be made via telephone.
Note: Online reservations are available for the dining rooms only. Bar and deck table reservations must be made via telephone.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Otto's Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Otto's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (44)great for outdoor dining (37)good for groups (20)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Dinner at Otto'sOttoluvDined on 10/18/2014The food at Otto's is consistently great and the wait staff and bartenders are exceptional!Special Features:
- consistently goodcoupleofkids1Dined on 10/17/2014A place that we enjoy somewhat regularly. The food is always tasty and served hot - a good quality level for the price. I especially enjoy the grape leaf wrapped Salmon. Would like to see a little change up on the menu . . . possibly a featured appetizer, a featured seasonal dessert or a change on the salad offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Four of us for dinner. We were seated at our table promptly. Service was great. Food was excellent. We had Sea Bass (consistently excellent), the special of walleye (very good), lamb chops (very good and plentiful), and the chicken (good). Had the strawberry Napoleon for dessert which disappeared immediately. This was our friends first time to Otto's and they were very happy with the food and the experience.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencelilabeaver89Dined on 10/17/2014I was looking for a romantic restaurant for my husband's birthday. Otto's exceeded my expectations. The food is delicious! The service is outstanding. My husband was impressed. It's now the best restaurant in Madison in our list, and we will definitely come back.Special Features:
- While In MadisonFrogTravelerDined on 10/14/2014I have been going to Otto's on a regular if infrequent basis for many years and I have always been very pleased with the food and the service. The entrees are well presented and always feel fresh and of excellent quality. What stands out though is the service. The staff is very friendly and helpful. not overbearing but present. Although my visits are infrequent they remember me and my colleagues. I make a note of this because when in Madison I stay at the same hotel every time and each time the front desk staff asks me if it is my first visit. At Otto's after my second visit they remembered me.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We ate here for our anniversary. The food and service was very good! I liked using the on-line reservation site, hassel free! The only 'complaint' would be is that it was very loud. It was hard to carry on a conversation across the table. We did enjoy it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014Service was excellent, quiet atmosphere, food good but not great. Pricing adequate for quality.
- IntlspiceDined on 10/8/2014The menu changes little as all dishes are great. Little variety though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply AmazingMb165233Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I went here on a date. We had not tried the restaurant before, and my husband is apprehensive about trying things for the first time. It turned out to be fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine foodFerlyDined on 9/27/2014Service was attentive. Moved us away from a louder, large group. Excellent salmon in grape leaves. Excellent bruschetta. Ribeye was full of flavor and cooked exactly right.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodwooberDined on 9/26/2014We had a great experience on a Friday night. The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and gave us some great suggestions. This is one of the better places in Madison to dine and we will be back again.Special Features:
- Love Otto'sgoodeatinDined on 9/20/2014We dine every month with another couple and try to always try new places. Otto's is at the top of our list so decided to frequent it instead of always trying a new place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- if you like lamb or sea basscrazy4foodDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have been dining here for years and these are the only two things we ever get because they are so consistently divine. The appetizers are also wonderful, as is the Strawberry Napoleon dessert. We have always had good service and never had to wait when we have had a reservation.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014We are from Minneapolis and we brought my aunt here to celebrate her birthday. Great service and really interesting and delicious food. I had the sea bass and it was the best I've had. My husband's steak was perfect and very delicious. My aunt got the ricotta stuffed chicken and it was enough for her to take home and eat the next day. She was so excited to get a complementary dessert for her 91st birthday. It was a very enjoyable evening and we will definitely go back when we are in Madison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceAnniversaryDined on 8/30/2014We had a party of eight celebrating an anniversary. The group next to us was in a celebratory mood and very, very,very noisy. We could not hear conversation even with the person sitting next to us. The staff made arrangements to move us to one of two places. We were on the way when the group next to us suddenly quieted down and we remained at our table. We had two persons with unusual dietary needs due to health concerns. The staff was extremely helpful. This was all done without fuss or overt attention. The food was excellent; the mood festive; and we all had a wonderful time. Finally, the outstanding server took pictures with both cameras. Five stars for us.Special Features:
- 1st visit-will return, wonderfulSupportlocalpubsDined on 8/29/20141st visit by my wife and I to Otto's, our 16th Aniversary. Charming building, ate inside, a stormy day out. Upper floor almost full, quiet. Great service, wide selection of appetizers, the Bruscetta fresh, delicious. The side salads fresh, crisp. My wife's chicken breast delicious, my Mediterranean Mix better, great sampling of lamb, chicken, kabobs. The desert complimentary, and wonderful, the Creme Brûlée and Chocolate Suffle the best in Wisconsin, wow, great. My wife's Old Fashoined Sour done well, tasty, a great value. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Very fancyChillwangDined on 8/26/2014My experience was more than pleasant. The waitresses were all incredibly friendly and definitely noticed when our table needed something. The food was also cooked perfectly. I had gotten the lamb chops and the meat came out exactly the way I ordered it. The green beans were crunchy but lacked a little flavor. I personally like a little bit more though so I just added salt and was content. The potatos were also delicious as the outside was crispy but the inside was still fluffy. Great restaurant.Special Features:
- So so. Too hot.MadfoodieDined on 8/20/2014We tried Ottos because of a gluten free requirement of one of our group. They have a large number of gluten free options which is great. The menu is well rounded and has something for everyone. Server was efficient but not very friendly. Well rehearsed lines, with no deviation. Sometimes asking for something felt like we were putting her out. The restaurant was FAR too hot. It was so hot that I lost my appetite and was having to drink the ice water to cool down. We were seated on the top floor, but when going downstairs it wasn't any cooler. I spoke to the manager and asked why it was so hot; there was absolutely no apology. He said they have to leave the patio door open which makes the whole house hot. Avoid on a hot day.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Best crab cake appetizer I've tasted yet...and I try them everywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Otto's is still a gem.BUCKIE1Dined on 8/13/2014Had a wonderful dining experience with a French friend and her visiting parents. I had the fish special, mom had the spinach salad and the others had steaks. All were perfectly cooked and the sides were all very good. We picked a very good red Merlot (Silverado), and capped it all off with crème brulee, pistachio cake, and chocolate gelato for dessert. The wait staff at Otto's is always excellent. Friendly, very helpful with choosing the food and wine offerings, and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great place to dine!DmarieDined on 8/9/2014I went to Ottos for my birthday last year and loved it so much I asked to go again this year. The food is always so great and the portions are very generous. I love the staff here, waiters are always so professional and knowledgable about the menu and wine pairing. We will be back again for my birthday next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special birthday dinnerspecialdinerDined on 8/9/2014Food was excellent although could add another vegetarian entree. Service was very good but a bit intrusive and felt rushed because cleared the table very quickly before everyone was done eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKateDined on 8/5/2014Outstanding is the only word to describe my dining experience at Otto's from start to finish! The food/service is the finest to be found. I have never been disappointed and you can be rest assured you will not be either. The best restaurant in Madison hands down!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencegbrockDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I came here without knowing much of anything about Otto's and our experience was fantastic. We ordered drinks, appetizers, soup/salad, entrees, and dessert. All of the aforementioned were delightful. They really developed of lot of flavors in their food with exception of the salmon, which is why they only get 4 stars overall. The salmon was cooked perfectly, but they didn't really have any seasoning on it at all. That being said, the scallops and shrimp were great. Their vegetables were cooked to perfection and everything worked together on the plate. When we got the bill we were pleasantly surprised with the total for the amount of food we got. This is a great place to eat and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening at Otto'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I have enjoyed Otto's before, and we chose it for our 40th anniversary and it was totally a great experience. Great food, pleasant environment, great service and it was delightful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Everything was wonderful. Food delicious, wait staff very attentive. Very interesting it's in a house. The noise level wasn't bad at all for the upstairs. Could definitely tell that they just knocked the walls out, but they didn't try to shove a lot of seating upstairs. I have to say again that the food was delicious. Melt in your mouth just plain good. Only odd thing about going for my first time was trying to get to the dining area - I guess we came through the "back" as we found ourselves in the bar at first. Confused looks must abound, as we were very nicely pointed in the direction of the dining area. Next time, we'll have to try the patio!Special Features:
- good food - beware of stairsDevilBlueDressDined on 7/26/2014Our party of 5 had a very good meal out on Otto's deck. We were initially seated on the top floor inside, but due to accessibility issues (lots and lots of stairs), we were moved to the outside deck. Our waiter was very attentive and pleasant. Overall, nice experience.Special Features:
- Otto'sShooterDined on 7/18/2014Excellent Lamb dinner---tender with a delish pesto sauce drizzled on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Outdoor DiningTravelerGDined on 7/16/2014Otto's has a fun outdoor dining area. Live performace Music is good. A little too loud. Cuts off conversation. I would call everything "overcooked". Food is tasty, but overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014If you're a regular at Otto's your familiar with the awesome warm sour dough bread they bring before dinner. The bread is one of the reasons for choosing this restaurant. Well, they changed the bread. The bread we received with our dinner was pretty bad. No one in our party had more than one bite. Started the evening on a disappointing note. It was also very noisy. to a level that you couldn't converse. It was a very busy night. Service and dinner was great as always.Special Features:
- Always top notchPammDined on 7/12/2014Otto's is our family's go-to place for a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, etc). They are consistent in both excellent service and delicious food. Have not been disappointed ever with Otto's.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014We celebrated our anniversary and my wife's birthday at our most special dining place. The bar was friendly and comfortable, the food was exceptional and the service was great.Special Features:
- Cell Phones, Really?WarrenDined on 7/1/2014As always the food and service at Otto's was perfect. We have eaten here many times and not once had a problem with either, however, the past two times we have experienced problems with noise. On our last visit we were placed next to a very loud/boisterous/intoxicated group of six. On this visit, we had a great spot on the outdoor, covered, deck. Beautiful evening. Quiet Tuesday, not busy at all. It could have been a perfect night had the woman seated next to us in the corner not spent a good 10 minutes visiting with her daughter on her cell phone! PEOPLE, EVERYONE SPEAKS LOUDER ON A CELL PHONE, even if you think you are speaking softly! I do put some of the blame on the restaurant for not asking the woman to step out of the dining area.Special Features:
- The following 552 reviews are from the Otto's Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- repeaterDined on 6/26/2014Excellent service. Fast, efficient, not obtrusive. Good food as usual (love the tomato bisque and blood orange sorbet). However, the stairs were extremely difficult for one of our group. If we had known our table would involve such a climb we would have requested another one, since there was plenty of room below. Perhaps the server could have noticed our friend struggling?Special Features:
- Second experience @ Otto'sSaraDined on 6/21/2014We dined at Otto's for a second time a couple of weekends ago. The service in the bar was excellent--friendly and accommodating. The service at the table was outstanding and it was beautiful to dine on the porch. Our friend tried duck for the first time and he thought it was delicious and so was the sea bass and lamb. We will definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Filet Mignon and Cheese PlateJosephasDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I dine at Otto's roughly each month and we get the 3 cheese plate appetizer and an 8 Oz Filet, always very tender, always cooked perfectly. Best in town, especially for the price. The soups are also quite good. Summer balcony dining is very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Made a reservation for early evening when there was not a full house of diners. We both ordered seafood... one dinner was mixed seafood grill the other was Scottish salmon special. Both meals were well prepared and very tasty. The server was very pleasant and efficient. She offered gluten-free toast with the salad (I have celiac disease) which was a nice touch. Orange sorbet was our dessert and it was also very good. Overall it was a very pleasant and satisfying dining experience. We will do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMadisonpalDined on 6/20/2014I had the duck and many places dont know how to cook it correctly. The duck was the best Ive had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a home run!ChefIndienDined on 6/19/2014I've been visiting Madison once a month for several years and one of my regular stops has always been at Otto's. Great ambiance, great service, great wines and above all, fine cuisine which means that selecting a dish is actually hard. Way to go with the 3-course menu at $25, or $35 if you add the pairing wines. Only regret: this menu is not offered in the summer time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UninterestingSanaliADined on 6/18/2014Walleye special was colorless and lacked flavor with bland almond coating. Tomato bisque soup was very nice as was Ceasar salad.Special Features: