1606 North Main St.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ottavio-osteria.com/
- Phone: 9259308008x
- Hours of Operation:
Pranzo (Lunch): By request
Cena (Dinner): Monday-Thursday 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday and Saturday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Valentino Luchin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available upon request and consultation.
- Private Party Facilities: The intimate atmosphere and exclusively designed menus make OTTAVIO the perfect venue for your private party! With the open kitchen as OTTAVIO's heart and soul, Executive Chef/Owner Valentino Luchin will delight and entertain guests as he passionately prepares innovative cuisine from his Veneto region. As a wonderful alternative to off-site catering, OTTAVIO is perfect for a restaurant buy out, accommodating 30-50 guests. Join us for an extraordinary private dining experience!
- Private Party Contact: Michele Luchin 9259308008x
A word from Ottavio
OTTAVIO, an Osteria from the Veneto region of Northern Italy, embraces culinary traditions innovatively interpreted by renowned native Executive Chef Valentino Luchin. House-cured wild boar, duck, and venison prosciuttos - earthy sugos - smoked fish and chops - fresh daily made pastas, gnocchi, and bread - and an ever changing seasonal bounty of local product are key elements in our delectable dining experience. Nestled in on bustling North Main, OTTAVIO's open kitchen is the heart and soul of our warm and intimate Osteria. We welcome you to join us and see for yourself what this award-winning and acclaimed establishment is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ottavio - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Ottavio reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (18)notable wine list (8)good for groups (6)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2014great food but service was a little spotty. longer than expected waits between courses and check. appeared to have only one waiter on a Friday night. Difficult to cover that many tables solo. Would definitely come back, but service needs improvementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatdaniellem818Dined on 8/18/2014I went to Ottavio with my boyfriend for my birthday. The location was good, the decor was well done. The food tasted good. Overall, we had a good evening. However, there was nothing really special about the place. If you're looking for a nice Italian place that's fancier, Ottavio works. But if you want something more than that, keep looking.Special Features:
- Wonderful!BookwormGirlDined on 8/10/2014We have now enjoyed Mothers Day and my parents anniversary here and both times enjoyed a wonderful meal and enjoyed the scenic view of downtown Walnut Creek from the front table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialcasualgourmetDined on 8/2/2014Entrees are are hit and miss. Uneven in quality, taste , size, seasoning, and being heated enough. Service also inconsistent. Sometimes too little too late. There is an attempt to play catch up, but Sat. Pm at 7 is most likely problematic for many restaurants. Certainly the case here. Ambience, dark, hot , crowded and can be noisy in the back. But you're cramped in the front. Also rice, potato, or pasta, side servings complimenting the entree should be served with all main courses. Especially when priced over $25.
- Excellent Italian placeMichelleDined on 7/31/2014The food was absolutely delicious. The service was great and the chef owner personally explained the menu to us. The only weak point was the dessert. We had the panna cotta, which was too firm from too much gelatin and the balsamic sauce was overpowering. Other than that, I would happily eat here again. I had the pappardelle with wild boar, which was excellent. My husband had the smoked duck over gnocchi, which was delicate yet delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableCelebrateVIPDined on 7/25/2014Ottavio is our go to place in Walnut Creek. We have never been disappointed and the food is always interesting and prepared to perfection. Valentino and Michele are always great hosts and want to make sure you have a good experience. Only restaurant I can truly say has never disappointed. Seems everywhere else is a roll of the dice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerVaventyDined on 7/11/2014This is the second time I dine at Ottavio and it didn't disappoint. The menu is great, the food well prepared and presented. This is by far one of my favorite places in Walnut Creek.Special Features:
- Nice, quiet, relaxing restaurantbarbaraVIPDined on 7/7/2014It was a peaceful and relaxing dinner. The food was outstanding.....Duck done perfectly with a wonderful balsamic and fig sauce over polenta, ummmmm. Jim had the messy lasagna and he loved it. Wonderful service an I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwkwardDontaskmynameDined on 7/3/2014I'm sure it is very authentic Italian food, but it's just not the Italian food I'm used to. It felt very foreign even for me and I have a very open mind. The server (possibly the owner?) was a little creepy. He looked at me with such intensity when I ordered an appetizer as my entree (I didn't know any better because it was not labeled so in the menu). They didn't have any soda. Again, probably my fault for not knowing any better, but I felt very out of place there. The server brought me a carbonated lemon drink that tasted awful. I felt out of my league here. Unless you spent a lot of time in Italy, you probably will too. That might explain why my date and I had the entire restaurant to ourselves that night.
- Amazing Food & The Best StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/30/2014My boyfriend and I have gone here twice now. Both times we have walked away in awe! This is a family-owned restaurant that I do not think a lot of people notice because it's smaller with discreet signage. The food, staff & service go above and beyond-more than any other place I've been to in Walnut Creek. Extremely friendly staff that truly care about their customers. The staff stayed open when they were about to close, and the food was absolutely amazing. I had the Carpaccio of House Smoked Swordfish with a Caper Dresing and my boyfriend had Pappardelle w/ Wild Board Sugo. It was impeccable-fresh, beautifully presented and so, so good. If you haven't been here you need to go! Not a restaurant you want to miss! Great for 'foodies'!Special Features:
- Outstanding mealMikeyDined on 6/23/2014Excellent food and personal service form the chef/owner. I'd visit more often if the corkage was less than $20...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014A dinner like your Italian grandmother served, meat long-simmered in a deliciously-complex sauce; huge servings, each enough for two! Rich and filling; heaps of salad.Special Features:
- lvladylvladyDined on 6/10/2014We dined on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was almost empty. We enjoyed a lovely dinner, starting with the grilled sardines and swordfish carpaccio. Both were excellent. As we reviewed the menu for our entree selection, the chef offered to prepare small dishes for tasting as the restaurant was not busy. We selected the pappardelle with wild boar sauce and the ricotta gnocchi with duck sauce. The gnocchi were light and melted in your mouth and the duck sauce was excellent. A carafe of water was brought to our table with fresh strawberries and oranges in it. The wine list offers a nice selection of wines from the Friuli region of Italy. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!LindaTDined on 5/31/2014Excellent food - many choices - all so good. Very pretty & welcoming atmosphere. Hands on attention by the owner/chef is a big plus. Only somewhat negative is the noise level though (in the back room where we were) very high - the word used "energetic" by opentable is a bit of a mistruth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Service Needs HelpbaxmomDined on 5/31/2014We had a reservation for 5:00pm on a Saturday evening because we had a concert to attend. There was no other diners in the restaurant when we arrived; after our group was seated, we informed the waiter that we have to leave by 6:45pm. Our group ordered 5 of the same salads off the menu; however only 4 came at a time. Our friend had to wait another 3 or 4 minutes for his salad. After dinner, we ordered 3 desserts to share. None of the desserts required elaborate preparation yet we sat for more than 10 minutes waiting for it. We had to wave the waiter down to find out what happened to our order. I want to give this place a higher rating but the inattentive service really ruined the dining experience.Special Features:
- radboDined on 5/28/2014Food, as always, was great. Chef Luchin there to take our order. The appetizers were wonderful, the pasta and gnocci perfect. This restaurant should be packed every night; much superior to other Italian restaurants in WC.Special Features:
- Almost perfect...EastBayFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a place I just want to love...but there were enough serious issues with the service that totally detracted from the dining experience. Food should be the star and it was...however we ordered the grilled calamari as an app and they forgot to give it to us...$20 for corkage and they poured it once while we poured the rest...bread bowl was large enough for a loaf with two tiny pieces in it...now the main course...my veal chop was delicious and my dining guest's monk fish was very nice. With Prima just a block away and packed during the exact hour, this place can't afford NOT to make every guest thrilled to return...I want to return for the food so next time will cross my fingers that the service will be much improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeneziaOttavioDined on 5/19/2014My party of four dined at this restaurant for the first time. The proprietor was extremely welcoming and gracious. Two in my party were vegetarians… no problem he went to work and viola they enjoyed their vegetarian entre. My meal was superbly prepared and had all the accoutrements. He also helped us with our wine selections and entre selections all were good choices. He checked on us several times to make sure we were taken care of. I will be returning for sure. Withbert Payne SPECIALIZING IN - FREE POLICY REVIEWS and EVALUATIONS Life Ins. - LONG TERM CARE INS. - Long Term Disability Ins. Annuities - College Planning - Retirement Planning Businesses: Buy Sell - Executive Bonus - Key PersonSpecial Features:
- Great Italian CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Ottavio is a great place to dine and enjoy your food (come hungry). The Chef/Owner is a fantastic cook, his meats are superb, preparation excellent - very good northern Italian cooking, while we were eating we remembered our time in Europe and the food there. The first course of octopus and squid was superb, his signature dish I believe. Veal chop was excellent, duck with polenta also excellent. We did not try dessert as we were too full but we plan to come back and try the pasta and dessert. We do not go out for dinner often but if we do we will be coming back to this place first and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, unassuming, but first classdineamicDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day. We were seated promptly. The menu is well-rounded, not too large. But all the dishes sounded so delicious, that it was still hard to choose. I had the duck over polenta, my son had the lamb with a pomegranate reduction. Both were phenomenal! Don't remember what my wife had(she split it with my daughter). Wait staff was super-attentive but not intrusive, pleasant, and efficient. The owner/chef made a visit to all the tables, which is a nice touch rarely seen these days. It's a small place, but warmly decorated and exudes class well above it's square footage. The bottom line is that Ottavio excels where a restaurant should: food quality that pleases the palate, and excellent service. A great find. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great MealTheophilosDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch and dessert. Price was reasonable, food was very good, atmosphere was pleasant, and service was courteous and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/11/2014I went on Mother's Day it wasn't a good idea -- they were by far too busy; however, my duck was lovely.
- Brunch for 6BotzDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch, for my parents and my wife's parents went great. Special service and attention from the owner / chef really added to the experience. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPhilly01romanceDined on 5/10/2014The evening was perfect in every way...an intimate and wonderful dining experience...will certainly returnSpecial Features:
- The following 527 reviews are from the Ottavio reviews archive.
- Excellent northern Italian gemChefShivDined on 4/23/2014When the owner chef visits your table several times during your wonderful meal you know you are in good hands. And when he apologizes to stop the conversation so that your meal on the stove doesn't burn... Well it's all good. The fresh spring salad and warm bread, the perfectly prepared house smoked fish and house smoked paper thin venison... Entrees were equally delicious: thin slices of medium rare steak over greens and the savory lasagna. It's a small place hidden on North Main but well worth the find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014I have been a resident of Walnut Creek for 10 years and am always looking for restaurants with unusual yet approachable and delicious dishes. Ottavio is my new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodlovetoeatDined on 4/21/2014We went to Ottavio during restaurant week, our first time there. We had the hanger steak and lasagna, both were fantastic! We definitely would go back and try other dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014This was our second visit to Ottavio, and it was a good experience both times, it is a pleasure to enjoy good, true Italian food.Special Features:
- Great eatKevinVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had our anniversary dinner there. The food was great and well prepared. The chef, Valentino, stopped by personally to give us the congrats and we got complimentary cocktails at the end for our anniversary too. Great service!Special Features:
- Personal serviceUncleStevieDined on 4/16/2014The chef / owner is attentive, and makes some rich meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most authentic italiano in town.JoseisabelVIPDined on 4/16/2014Home made Sugo ( slow cooked sauce ), risotto, pasta, bistecca, desserts, bread.. All is exceptional. Let know Valentino what you want to eat and he will recommend fabulous dishes. Ask for Amarone Wine. This is a "Boccato di Cardenale cucina".Special Features:
- Best In TownALLReviewsStuffDined on 4/11/2014Dining at Ottavio is a must for everyone, whether you're a local or a visitor. The food is phenomenal, cocktails are fun, service is friendly, and the ambiance is great for any occaion... from casual week night dining to formal New Years dinner or special occasions. Valentino and his team make you feel like family.Special Features:
- Great EveningPCfoodieDined on 4/5/2014The food was exceptional, the five of us had duck, beef, and pasta dishes, all prepared aver nicely. We had great service too. We will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is nicely prepared andJennDined on 4/4/2014Food is nicely prepared and delicious. They were accommodating for my food sensitivities which is always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Ottavio. We were celebrating our 35 annivesary which was Monday. Most places are closed Mondays. We wanted to try something different. My daughter suggested it from their reviews. We split the grilled octopus/calamari salad. I would go back just for that alone. We both chose the veal t-bone. Perfectly cooked and presented. Topped off the dinner with the New York cheese cake. Delicious! Our waiter, Alejandro, was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade and Fabulousfood4meDined on 3/30/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday and try a new place. The restaurant was empty when we go there, and the table that we were sat at was against the window, great, expect the fact that the sun had begun to set and the light was beaming into our eyes. There was a large party that was in the back, otherwise the restaurant was small, so I would recommend reservations. The food was great! Everything was made in house including the meats! The food was outstanding, and the specials were great, which we ordered the Duck, and steak. I would recommend the lamb which was cooked perfectly. I loved the cheesecake! All of the food had great flavor and the owner/chef was extremely nice. I would recommend this place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnNotafanDined on 3/22/2014Salads were mediocre. Octopus was bland. Rabbit entree was very good. Desserts were poor. While my entree was excellent, the overall meal was not. I would neither return nor recommend.
- incredibly noisyBarytonDined on 3/14/2014Perhaps it was the location of our table or the presence of large parties obviously having fun, but we couldn't talk to each other across a very small table. We left without coffee or desert. Otherwise good meal, as usual.Special Features:
- Creative and intimate ItalianLAM45Dined on 3/14/2014This is my 5th time at Ottavio's in the last 2 months! 4 times with my husband (the ultimate Foodie) who cooks a mean pasta himself but loved the pasta with wild boar sugo(sauce/gravy). I have taken my all women/friends dinner group (4 of us) and they loved sharing all dishes. Our dinner group has been dining on both sides of the Caldecott for 15 years. Ottavio's gets highest marks. Go on a weekday your 1st time and get to meet the chef and our favorite waiter, Alejandro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteBarytonDined on 3/7/2014Long time Walnut Creek residents who have been lazy about straying from our few habitual favorites, we stole a look at Open Table and made last minute reservations at Ottavio. We dine early (5:30) so we were virtually alone at the start of the meal on a Friday. We split a salad featuring calamari, which was just enough and deliciously different. Wine by the glass was excellent. My wife chose the duck and was pleased by the preparation, the moisture of the meat and the accompanying vegetables. My rabbit was a novelty for me and brought back memories of my childhood in Iowa. Delicious, and again, the accompanying broth and vegetables were superb. Dessert grappa and decaf cappuccino sent us away happy and planning a return in the near future.Special Features: