1606 North Main St.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ottavio-osteria.com/
- Phone: 9259308008x
- Hours of Operation:
Pranzo (Lunch): By request
Cena (Dinner): Monday-Thursday 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday and Saturday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Valentino Luchin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available upon request and consultation.
- Private Party Facilities: The intimate atmosphere and exclusively designed menus make OTTAVIO the perfect venue for your private party! With the open kitchen as OTTAVIO's heart and soul, Executive Chef/Owner Valentino Luchin will delight and entertain guests as he passionately prepares innovative cuisine from his Veneto region. As a wonderful alternative to off-site catering, OTTAVIO is perfect for a restaurant buy out, accommodating 30-50 guests. Join us for an extraordinary private dining experience!
- Private Party Contact: Michele Luchin 9259308008x
A word from Ottavio
OTTAVIO, an Osteria from the Veneto region of Northern Italy, embraces culinary traditions innovatively interpreted by renowned native Executive Chef Valentino Luchin. House-cured wild boar, duck, and venison prosciuttos - earthy sugos - smoked fish and chops - fresh daily made pastas, gnocchi, and bread - and an ever changing seasonal bounty of local product are key elements in our delectable dining experience. Nestled in on bustling North Main, OTTAVIO's open kitchen is the heart and soul of our warm and intimate Osteria. We welcome you to join us and see for yourself what this award-winning and acclaimed establishment is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ottavio - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Ottavio reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (34)neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (25)romantic (22)notable wine list (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent!BabsinWCVIPDined on 10/15/2014Our first time eating here. Hadn't been before because it was…..another Italian restaurant. Our mistake. There is nothing typical about this restaurant. We shared the beef carpaccio with artichoke and it was excellent, nothing like we have had at other places. Truly unique. For main course I had the smoked pork chop with fig and apricot…confit (?). I'm gluten sensitive so they gave me lots of extra veges. OMG, I could come here everyday and eat this pork. Hubby had the duck with figs and balsamic on polenta. Again, this was excellent. Under the duck there were lots of veges - zucchini, brussel sprouts, squash, broccolini. We kept swapping plates. I couldn't choose a winner, they were both great.Special Features:
- A taste of ItalyDsommsDined on 10/11/2014We've been to Ottavio twice and will keep going back. We always sit at a table by the window which reminds us of sitting in a piazza in Florence (yes we know it's WC!). The food is always a taste of Italy which most italian restaurants in the US can't replicate. We always find a new appetizer or main dish which adds to each experience. Service is always great and Valentino always comes by and talks with us (and now knows my wife speaks italian). For anyone wanting a reminder of the taste of italy and that small restaurant ambiance, this is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and awesome serviceBrianDotNetDined on 10/10/2014We made a last minute reservation at Ottavio for dinner and we had a 2 year old toddler with us, who can never sit through a dinner. Overall, the food was great, definitely one of the better italian restaurant I've been to in Walnut Creek. I ordered the Gnocchi with smoke duck breast, it was very tasty and I loved it. Food for the rest of us were also very good, nothing to complain about. The owner (Chef?) came out to greet us during the dinner to make sure we enjoy everything, and even brought paper and some crayons to keep our toddler entertained. That added little personal touch made our dinner experience special. I'd definitely come back without a doubt.Special Features:
- Another fabulous dinnerCelebrateVIPDined on 10/9/2014Wonderful dinner as always. Valentino creates flavors like nobody else around. This is real Tuscan, not your normal Ragu from down the block. Pasta was fresh, cooked perfectly and the Ahi was prepared wonderfully. Support these guys, we don't want to lose a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but lacking in serviceporterhouseDined on 10/4/2014Searching out a place to take my wife out to dinner, and saw many good reviews on various sites for Ottavio. I considered the food very good. We had the Hangar steak, Duck Breast with Polenta, grilled Monterey sardine appetizer, and the Ricotta cheesecake. The steak and duck were cooked perfectly. The major flaw with the meal was the slow, inattentive and sometimes, just plain confusing service. When trying to order a drink, we had to find the right server of our three as only he could get a drink for us. We often had empty water glasses (a pet peeve of my wife) and no follow up as to how our meals were. Just need better, faster and more comprehensive service.
- tom1938Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent food. Different from the usual Italian fare. Good selection of wines and cocktails. Not busy if you go early.Special Features:
- FantasticLetsEatDined on 10/3/20142nd time here and we tried all new dishes. Again all were very good with fantastic and different flavors. The wait staff is pleasant and not overly attentive. Would highly recommend this location for a try. It is fantastic.Special Features:
- OttavioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014this has been my favorite restaurant since I 1st ate there 2 years or so ago. I bring every friend that I can to introduce to the restaurant. The owner Lucien and his wife are charming and welcoming. Make you feel as though you have been invited to their home. Amazing pasta and sugos and the most incredible gnocchi you will ever eat! Duck prosciutto to dream about.Special Features:
- DeliciosaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Wonderful Italian food. Attentive service. Generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couple NightBiffDined on 9/25/2014Took another couple here before heading to the Pavilion - great meal from the appetizers (Sardines and Carpaccio) to the entrees (Pork Chops and Gnocchi). Would recommend for a foodie, higher-end meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscan foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2014I went to Italy last year for my honeymoon, and the food was extraordinary. I have eaten since then at many of the top-rated Italian restaurants in San Francsico, including SPQR. I like this place better. The food is decadent, but does not feel like it is trying too hard. It tasted like some of the delicious food I had in Siena, Italy. Took my friend here for her birthday dinner, hoping it would be good. It exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- Quality FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/5/2014I had the Monterey Sardine, caramelized onions salad and it was fantastic! The service outstanding and a nice ambiance!Special Features:
- Jacquie NickJn43Dined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed a delicious birthday dinner, first time dining and will go back and take friends!Special Features:
- Should be swampedBillandMEVIPDined on 8/31/2014Valentino Lucin is a CHEF. This is not just another fancy pasta place. In a town surrounded by establishments that cater to yokels in shorts wearing Oakland Raiders baseball caps backwards, this guy delivers food he deeply cares about. Carpaccio of house smoked Swordfish with Caper Dressing is to die for. Lightly smoked and sweet I was stunned at first bite. The House cured Meats and cheese from the Tre Venezie Regions app was delicious with the unexpected addition of a delicious fig jam. I don't even like figs! I had the Pappardelle with Wild Boar sugo and it was so good. I wanted to taste the Pig! Yelp says he's closed Sundays (he's not) and he was kind enough to call me back and let me know they were open. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LetsEatDined on 8/22/2014great food but service was a little spotty. longer than expected waits between courses and check. appeared to have only one waiter on a Friday night. Difficult to cover that many tables solo. Would definitely come back, but service needs improvementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatdaniellem818Dined on 8/18/2014I went to Ottavio with my boyfriend for my birthday. The location was good, the decor was well done. The food tasted good. Overall, we had a good evening. However, there was nothing really special about the place. If you're looking for a nice Italian place that's fancier, Ottavio works. But if you want something more than that, keep looking.Special Features:
- Wonderful!BookwormGirlDined on 8/10/2014We have now enjoyed Mothers Day and my parents anniversary here and both times enjoyed a wonderful meal and enjoyed the scenic view of downtown Walnut Creek from the front table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialcasualgourmetVIPDined on 8/2/2014Entrees are are hit and miss. Uneven in quality, taste , size, seasoning, and being heated enough. Service also inconsistent. Sometimes too little too late. There is an attempt to play catch up, but Sat. Pm at 7 is most likely problematic for many restaurants. Certainly the case here. Ambience, dark, hot , crowded and can be noisy in the back. But you're cramped in the front. Also rice, potato, or pasta, side servings complimenting the entree should be served with all main courses. Especially when priced over $25.
- Excellent Italian placeMichelleDined on 7/31/2014The food was absolutely delicious. The service was great and the chef owner personally explained the menu to us. The only weak point was the dessert. We had the panna cotta, which was too firm from too much gelatin and the balsamic sauce was overpowering. Other than that, I would happily eat here again. I had the pappardelle with wild boar, which was excellent. My husband had the smoked duck over gnocchi, which was delicate yet delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableCelebrateVIPDined on 7/25/2014Ottavio is our go to place in Walnut Creek. We have never been disappointed and the food is always interesting and prepared to perfection. Valentino and Michele are always great hosts and want to make sure you have a good experience. Only restaurant I can truly say has never disappointed. Seems everywhere else is a roll of the dice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerVaventyDined on 7/11/2014This is the second time I dine at Ottavio and it didn't disappoint. The menu is great, the food well prepared and presented. This is by far one of my favorite places in Walnut Creek.Special Features:
- Nice, quiet, relaxing restaurantbarbaraVIPDined on 7/7/2014It was a peaceful and relaxing dinner. The food was outstanding.....Duck done perfectly with a wonderful balsamic and fig sauce over polenta, ummmmm. Jim had the messy lasagna and he loved it. Wonderful service an I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwkwardDontaskmynameDined on 7/3/2014I'm sure it is very authentic Italian food, but it's just not the Italian food I'm used to. It felt very foreign even for me and I have a very open mind. The server (possibly the owner?) was a little creepy. He looked at me with such intensity when I ordered an appetizer as my entree (I didn't know any better because it was not labeled so in the menu). They didn't have any soda. Again, probably my fault for not knowing any better, but I felt very out of place there. The server brought me a carbonated lemon drink that tasted awful. I felt out of my league here. Unless you spent a lot of time in Italy, you probably will too. That might explain why my date and I had the entire restaurant to ourselves that night.
- Amazing Food & The Best StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/30/2014My boyfriend and I have gone here twice now. Both times we have walked away in awe! This is a family-owned restaurant that I do not think a lot of people notice because it's smaller with discreet signage. The food, staff & service go above and beyond-more than any other place I've been to in Walnut Creek. Extremely friendly staff that truly care about their customers. The staff stayed open when they were about to close, and the food was absolutely amazing. I had the Carpaccio of House Smoked Swordfish with a Caper Dresing and my boyfriend had Pappardelle w/ Wild Board Sugo. It was impeccable-fresh, beautifully presented and so, so good. If you haven't been here you need to go! Not a restaurant you want to miss! Great for 'foodies'!Special Features:
- Outstanding mealMikeyDined on 6/23/2014Excellent food and personal service form the chef/owner. I'd visit more often if the corkage was less than $20...Special Features:
- The following 540 reviews are from the Ottavio reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014A dinner like your Italian grandmother served, meat long-simmered in a deliciously-complex sauce; huge servings, each enough for two! Rich and filling; heaps of salad.Special Features:
- lvladylvladyDined on 6/10/2014We dined on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was almost empty. We enjoyed a lovely dinner, starting with the grilled sardines and swordfish carpaccio. Both were excellent. As we reviewed the menu for our entree selection, the chef offered to prepare small dishes for tasting as the restaurant was not busy. We selected the pappardelle with wild boar sauce and the ricotta gnocchi with duck sauce. The gnocchi were light and melted in your mouth and the duck sauce was excellent. A carafe of water was brought to our table with fresh strawberries and oranges in it. The wine list offers a nice selection of wines from the Friuli region of Italy. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Food!LindaTDined on 5/31/2014Excellent food - many choices - all so good. Very pretty & welcoming atmosphere. Hands on attention by the owner/chef is a big plus. Only somewhat negative is the noise level though (in the back room where we were) very high - the word used "energetic" by opentable is a bit of a mistruth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Service Needs HelpbaxmomDined on 5/31/2014We had a reservation for 5:00pm on a Saturday evening because we had a concert to attend. There was no other diners in the restaurant when we arrived; after our group was seated, we informed the waiter that we have to leave by 6:45pm. Our group ordered 5 of the same salads off the menu; however only 4 came at a time. Our friend had to wait another 3 or 4 minutes for his salad. After dinner, we ordered 3 desserts to share. None of the desserts required elaborate preparation yet we sat for more than 10 minutes waiting for it. We had to wave the waiter down to find out what happened to our order. I want to give this place a higher rating but the inattentive service really ruined the dining experience.Special Features:
- radboDined on 5/28/2014Food, as always, was great. Chef Luchin there to take our order. The appetizers were wonderful, the pasta and gnocci perfect. This restaurant should be packed every night; much superior to other Italian restaurants in WC.Special Features:
- Almost perfect...EastBayFoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a place I just want to love...but there were enough serious issues with the service that totally detracted from the dining experience. Food should be the star and it was...however we ordered the grilled calamari as an app and they forgot to give it to us...$20 for corkage and they poured it once while we poured the rest...bread bowl was large enough for a loaf with two tiny pieces in it...now the main course...my veal chop was delicious and my dining guest's monk fish was very nice. With Prima just a block away and packed during the exact hour, this place can't afford NOT to make every guest thrilled to return...I want to return for the food so next time will cross my fingers that the service will be much improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeneziaOttavioVIPDined on 5/19/2014My party of four dined at this restaurant for the first time. The proprietor was extremely welcoming and gracious. Two in my party were vegetarians… no problem he went to work and viola they enjoyed their vegetarian entre. My meal was superbly prepared and had all the accoutrements. He also helped us with our wine selections and entre selections all were good choices. He checked on us several times to make sure we were taken care of. I will be returning for sure. Withbert Payne SPECIALIZING IN - FREE POLICY REVIEWS and EVALUATIONS Life Ins. - LONG TERM CARE INS. - Long Term Disability Ins. Annuities - College Planning - Retirement Planning Businesses: Buy Sell - Executive Bonus - Key PersonSpecial Features:
- Great Italian CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Ottavio is a great place to dine and enjoy your food (come hungry). The Chef/Owner is a fantastic cook, his meats are superb, preparation excellent - very good northern Italian cooking, while we were eating we remembered our time in Europe and the food there. The first course of octopus and squid was superb, his signature dish I believe. Veal chop was excellent, duck with polenta also excellent. We did not try dessert as we were too full but we plan to come back and try the pasta and dessert. We do not go out for dinner often but if we do we will be coming back to this place first and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, unassuming, but first classdineamicDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day. We were seated promptly. The menu is well-rounded, not too large. But all the dishes sounded so delicious, that it was still hard to choose. I had the duck over polenta, my son had the lamb with a pomegranate reduction. Both were phenomenal! Don't remember what my wife had(she split it with my daughter). Wait staff was super-attentive but not intrusive, pleasant, and efficient. The owner/chef made a visit to all the tables, which is a nice touch rarely seen these days. It's a small place, but warmly decorated and exudes class well above it's square footage. The bottom line is that Ottavio excels where a restaurant should: food quality that pleases the palate, and excellent service. A great find. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great MealTheophilosDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch and dessert. Price was reasonable, food was very good, atmosphere was pleasant, and service was courteous and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/11/2014I went on Mother's Day it wasn't a good idea -- they were by far too busy; however, my duck was lovely.
- Brunch for 6BotzDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch, for my parents and my wife's parents went great. Special service and attention from the owner / chef really added to the experience. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPhilly01romanceDined on 5/10/2014The evening was perfect in every way...an intimate and wonderful dining experience...will certainly returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent northern Italian gemChefShivDined on 4/23/2014When the owner chef visits your table several times during your wonderful meal you know you are in good hands. And when he apologizes to stop the conversation so that your meal on the stove doesn't burn... Well it's all good. The fresh spring salad and warm bread, the perfectly prepared house smoked fish and house smoked paper thin venison... Entrees were equally delicious: thin slices of medium rare steak over greens and the savory lasagna. It's a small place hidden on North Main but well worth the find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014I have been a resident of Walnut Creek for 10 years and am always looking for restaurants with unusual yet approachable and delicious dishes. Ottavio is my new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.