1606 North Main St.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ottavio-osteria.com/
- Phone: (925) 930-8008
- Hours of Operation:
Pranzo (Lunch): By request
Cena (Dinner): Monday-Thursday 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday and Saturday 5:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Valentino Luchin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available upon request and consultation.
- Private Party Facilities: The intimate atmosphere and exclusively designed menus make OTTAVIO the perfect venue for your private party! With the open kitchen as OTTAVIO's heart and soul, Executive Chef/Owner Valentino Luchin will delight and entertain guests as he passionately prepares innovative cuisine from his Veneto region. As a wonderful alternative to off-site catering, OTTAVIO is perfect for a restaurant buy out, accommodating 30-50 guests. Join us for an extraordinary private dining experience!
- Private Party Contact: Michele Luchin 9259308008x
A word from Ottavio
OTTAVIO, an Osteria from the Veneto region of Northern Italy, embraces culinary traditions innovatively interpreted by renowned native Executive Chef Valentino Luchin. House-cured wild boar, duck, and venison prosciuttos - earthy sugos - smoked fish and chops - fresh daily made pastas, gnocchi, and bread - and an ever changing seasonal bounty of local product are key elements in our delectable dining experience. Nestled in on bustling North Main, OTTAVIO's open kitchen is the heart and soul of our warm and intimate Osteria. We welcome you to join us and see for yourself what this award-winning and acclaimed establishment is all about!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Ottavio - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Ottavio reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (26)romantic (25)good for groups (7)notable wine list (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- VeneziaOttavioVIPDined on 5/19/2014My party of four dined at this restaurant for the first time. The proprietor was extremely welcoming and gracious. Two in my party were vegetarians… no problem he went to work and viola they enjoyed their vegetarian entre. My meal was superbly prepared and had all the accoutrements. He also helped us with our wine selections and entre selections all were good choices. He checked on us several times to make sure we were taken care of. I will be returning for sure. Withbert Payne SPECIALIZING IN - FREE POLICY REVIEWS and EVALUATIONS Life Ins. - LONG TERM CARE INS. - Long Term Disability Ins. Annuities - College Planning - Retirement Planning Businesses: Buy Sell - Executive Bonus - Key PersonSpecial Features:
- Great Italian CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Ottavio is a great place to dine and enjoy your food (come hungry). The Chef/Owner is a fantastic cook, his meats are superb, preparation excellent - very good northern Italian cooking, while we were eating we remembered our time in Europe and the food there. The first course of octopus and squid was superb, his signature dish I believe. Veal chop was excellent, duck with polenta also excellent. We did not try dessert as we were too full but we plan to come back and try the pasta and dessert. We do not go out for dinner often but if we do we will be coming back to this place first and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, unassuming, but first classdineamicDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day. We were seated promptly. The menu is well-rounded, not too large. But all the dishes sounded so delicious, that it was still hard to choose. I had the duck over polenta, my son had the lamb with a pomegranate reduction. Both were phenomenal! Don't remember what my wife had(she split it with my daughter). Wait staff was super-attentive but not intrusive, pleasant, and efficient. The owner/chef made a visit to all the tables, which is a nice touch rarely seen these days. It's a small place, but warmly decorated and exudes class well above it's square footage. The bottom line is that Ottavio excels where a restaurant should: food quality that pleases the palate, and excellent service. A great find. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great MealTheophilosDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful lunch and dessert. Price was reasonable, food was very good, atmosphere was pleasant, and service was courteous and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/11/2014I went on Mother's Day it wasn't a good idea -- they were by far too busy; however, my duck was lovely.
- Brunch for 6BotzDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch, for my parents and my wife's parents went great. Special service and attention from the owner / chef really added to the experience. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPhilly01romanceDined on 5/10/2014The evening was perfect in every way...an intimate and wonderful dining experience...will certainly returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent northern Italian gemChefShivDined on 4/23/2014When the owner chef visits your table several times during your wonderful meal you know you are in good hands. And when he apologizes to stop the conversation so that your meal on the stove doesn't burn... Well it's all good. The fresh spring salad and warm bread, the perfectly prepared house smoked fish and house smoked paper thin venison... Entrees were equally delicious: thin slices of medium rare steak over greens and the savory lasagna. It's a small place hidden on North Main but well worth the find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014I have been a resident of Walnut Creek for 10 years and am always looking for restaurants with unusual yet approachable and delicious dishes. Ottavio is my new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodlovetoeatVIPDined on 4/21/2014We went to Ottavio during restaurant week, our first time there. We had the hanger steak and lasagna, both were fantastic! We definitely would go back and try other dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/19/2014This was our second visit to Ottavio, and it was a good experience both times, it is a pleasure to enjoy good, true Italian food.Special Features:
- Great eatKevinVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had our anniversary dinner there. The food was great and well prepared. The chef, Valentino, stopped by personally to give us the congrats and we got complimentary cocktails at the end for our anniversary too. Great service!Special Features:
- Personal serviceUncleStevieDined on 4/16/2014The chef / owner is attentive, and makes some rich meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most authentic italiano in town.JoseisabelVIPDined on 4/16/2014Home made Sugo ( slow cooked sauce ), risotto, pasta, bistecca, desserts, bread.. All is exceptional. Let know Valentino what you want to eat and he will recommend fabulous dishes. Ask for Amarone Wine. This is a "Boccato di Cardenale cucina".Special Features:
- Best In TownALLReviewsStuffDined on 4/11/2014Dining at Ottavio is a must for everyone, whether you're a local or a visitor. The food is phenomenal, cocktails are fun, service is friendly, and the ambiance is great for any occaion... from casual week night dining to formal New Years dinner or special occasions. Valentino and his team make you feel like family.Special Features:
- Great EveningPCfoodieDined on 4/5/2014The food was exceptional, the five of us had duck, beef, and pasta dishes, all prepared aver nicely. We had great service too. We will definitely be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is nicely prepared andJennDined on 4/4/2014Food is nicely prepared and delicious. They were accommodating for my food sensitivities which is always appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our diningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/31/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Ottavio. We were celebrating our 35 annivesary which was Monday. Most places are closed Mondays. We wanted to try something different. My daughter suggested it from their reviews. We split the grilled octopus/calamari salad. I would go back just for that alone. We both chose the veal t-bone. Perfectly cooked and presented. Topped off the dinner with the New York cheese cake. Delicious! Our waiter, Alejandro, was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade and Fabulousfood4meDined on 3/30/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday and try a new place. The restaurant was empty when we go there, and the table that we were sat at was against the window, great, expect the fact that the sun had begun to set and the light was beaming into our eyes. There was a large party that was in the back, otherwise the restaurant was small, so I would recommend reservations. The food was great! Everything was made in house including the meats! The food was outstanding, and the specials were great, which we ordered the Duck, and steak. I would recommend the lamb which was cooked perfectly. I loved the cheesecake! All of the food had great flavor and the owner/chef was extremely nice. I would recommend this place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnNotafanVIPDined on 3/22/2014Salads were mediocre. Octopus was bland. Rabbit entree was very good. Desserts were poor. While my entree was excellent, the overall meal was not. I would neither return nor recommend.
- incredibly noisyBarytonDined on 3/14/2014Perhaps it was the location of our table or the presence of large parties obviously having fun, but we couldn't talk to each other across a very small table. We left without coffee or desert. Otherwise good meal, as usual.Special Features:
- Creative and intimate ItalianLAM45Dined on 3/14/2014This is my 5th time at Ottavio's in the last 2 months! 4 times with my husband (the ultimate Foodie) who cooks a mean pasta himself but loved the pasta with wild boar sugo(sauce/gravy). I have taken my all women/friends dinner group (4 of us) and they loved sharing all dishes. Our dinner group has been dining on both sides of the Caldecott for 15 years. Ottavio's gets highest marks. Go on a weekday your 1st time and get to meet the chef and our favorite waiter, Alejandro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteBarytonDined on 3/7/2014Long time Walnut Creek residents who have been lazy about straying from our few habitual favorites, we stole a look at Open Table and made last minute reservations at Ottavio. We dine early (5:30) so we were virtually alone at the start of the meal on a Friday. We split a salad featuring calamari, which was just enough and deliciously different. Wine by the glass was excellent. My wife chose the duck and was pleased by the preparation, the moisture of the meat and the accompanying vegetables. My rabbit was a novelty for me and brought back memories of my childhood in Iowa. Delicious, and again, the accompanying broth and vegetables were superb. Dessert grappa and decaf cappuccino sent us away happy and planning a return in the near future.Special Features:
- Needs a kid-menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/2/2014I am sure that this place was anticipating a large amount of children, but there should be an item or two for kids. This is also true for the picky eater. It is fine if everyone is a foodie, but if you have picky people, they will have a hard time navigating the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As if it was opeing night..reladyDined on 3/1/2014Although we all enjoyed the food very much, and the entire staff was certainly pleasant....we felt that the restaurant would do well to improve their service.Special Features:
- Great little find in walnut creekOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/28/2014My wife and i were travelling through walnut creek and found this gem on open table. intimate and nicely decorated interior and quiet enough to hear a conversation. excellent attentive service and absolutely great food. we started with a generous vodka martini and intriguing burrata with grilled raddichio. For entrees we had the gnocchi with duck (fabulous) and the lamb sirloin (so flavorful). this menu had several things that looked great and i was tron not ordering the hanger steak because most restaurants dont have that cut. the chef/owner came out and said hello which was a nice touch and connection. We have parents in WC and will definitly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sure ThingWCDaveDined on 2/28/2014We always find Ottavio to be a sure thing. Especially if the Chef is in the house. My wife is an Italian food snob, and it is one of the few Italian restaurants she will visit.Special Features:
- neat experiencebarbaraVIPDined on 2/28/2014We had reservations , seated promptly,nice menue variety, friendly staff. Food was outstanding and proper portions . I had the Messy Lasagna and would highly recommend it. Jim had their duck which was also very flavorful They do not have soups.Special Features:
- DeliciousOaktownMommaDined on 2/22/2014Took my dad here for a Saturday night pre-show dinner at the DLRCA. Gnocchi with duck sugo was excellent alongside a delicious glass of red the waiter suggested. It was a true Italian meal in the sense that the waitstaff left you alone to enjoy conversation and meal. By the same token, i would have liked a more frequent refill on my water and not to have to hunt our waiter down for the check. Lovely, down to earth staff, very respectful. We were in at 6 pm and the noise level got to "energetic" pretty swiftly. MUCH better option than other nearby Italian restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service are terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/20/2014Food and service are terrific. Owner-chef is on site and that always makes a big difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night out Gem...DWatkinsDined on 2/19/20145 of us embarked on this restaurant and had a delightful time. The Server was very attentive, the Chef visited out table. We felt very comfortable there and had a great time. The Risotto with Spek and Radicchio was nothing short of Spectacular! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Unfriendly placeEastbayeaterDined on 2/15/2014Had reservations for four on a Saturday night. We walked in a couple minutes early and no one even acknowledged our presence for a few minutes. We finally were seated, and the dining experience improved. Food was decent, service was good. We were there for about an hour and a half when the hostess asked us to leave so another party could be seated. Granted the place is small and we were there for awhile, but never had that happen before. Too many good restaurants in Walnut Creek to ever come back here.
- i will Go back but not on a holidayECLECTICDined on 2/14/2014FOOD was very good. Staff seemed not on point, looked like a long day for our server, especially being our reservation was at the end of the evening. I would go back but not on a holiday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ottavio, Lovely FoodDrmonarDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went to Ottavio for Valentine's Day and had an easy time making the reservation through Open Table. We went early and were readily seated. The table was not cleaned properly and it took a while to get someone to do so. This was a 4 course price fixed dinner. The meal was served slowly allowing us to focus on tasting each course and enjoying the process.Several choices were available for each course. Amounts seemed perfect and we felt satisfied at the end without being stuffed. Service seemed uneven as for example, no one came to ask if we wanted more wine nor did they suggest coffee at the end. Water glasses, though, were often refilled. Lovely food, nice ambiance. Not rushed. Recommended and we will return.Special Features:
- Dissapointed On Valentines DayciregrahamDined on 2/14/2014The idea for the menu was nice. Portions size were very small. The scallops cold,tough and chewy. The risotto was grainy and not cooked. The sea bass fillet had bones and the veil fillet was the size of a small red potato. The service was about the same disappointing, except the server with the water he was good. No bread was offered and our champagne glasses were never topped off. We had to ask for an ice bucket for our champagne. I just felt that I spent $231.00 for appetizers and not for a romantic meal. We have been here before for Valentine's day and blown away. Now we are just going away and never coming back !! Sorry to see such a great place go down hill. Hopefully just a bad night !
- Lost in translationIrinaskyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Booked this as a last minute option on v-day. The ambiance is great , dark colors, sheer curtains, candles. The service started out attentive and then after the first course arrived we completely lost him. No water refills, waited an hour for the main course. The food was not horrible , but bland. Very little flavor, except the risotto . On their menu it says that they ask their patrons to leave in 2 hours. Well, even though I find it rude, we wanted to leave, but couldn't because the server was not around to bring our check.
- Great dining discoveryLAM45Dined on 2/11/2014Too great meals eight days apart. Last Monday night,February 3, went with my hubby who is a foodie and a pretty good Italian cook. He loved his pasta dish with wild boar sugo. I loved my roast chicken with cannellini beans and eggplant. We shared their signature salad with octopus and calamari. All good. Two days ago I took my "girls night out group". For the past 10 years, we four have been dining eight times a year to restaurants on both sides of the Caldecott tunnel. We shared two salads, three main dishes and a bottle of wine. Service was great; the chef came to our table at least two or three times. Food was great and the vibe was perfect also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Mediocre serviceMuncherVIPDined on 2/8/2014Food is good but service is not. Our appetizer was served to another table & when the server was informed they didn't order that, he just took it from their table & plonked it down on ours. Did they taste it first with their forks? We don't know. Felt yukky! And DO CHECK your bill. We were charged a full bottle of wine when we only ordered A GLASS! There are many good restaurants in town. Not going back...Special Features:
- Excellent night outLocalVIPDined on 2/1/2014Excellent service. Excellent food well presented and ample portions. Very good wine. Very good ambiance. Moderately noisy.Special Features:
- Deliciously PriceyMangiataVIPDined on 1/30/2014I really enjoyed my dinner, but it was a bit too rich for my pocketbook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.