205 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.otorosushi.com/
- Phone: (415) 553-3986
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Otoro Sushi
Otoro Sushi is a hidden gem in the Hayes Valley. Our sushi experts will go to great lengths to bring you the freshest ingredients to offer San Francisco Bay Area patrons Japan"s best traditional sushi and tapas. Otoro Sushi is perfect for small groups and also has a wonderful sake and wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Otoro Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (11)romantic (8)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Good and NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Food was really good. The staff were friendly and very quick. The noise level was up there, so conversation was tough at times. But it was worth it to go before hitting a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small spaceSFDinerDined on 11/14/2014Went before the theater. Good food, yummy live scallops. Pricey.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FresssshFishfoodloverDined on 11/14/2014What is unique is the freshness of their menu! Uni, can't be fresher then straight out of their shell. Monterey Otters, sorry but we got this one!!! Wow. Same for the scallops. Rest typical rolls, nigaris, good and fresh. So you want something hot and tasty, don't miss their pork belly, yum. Not overcooed, just soft enough to melt on the palate, tantalized by the delicates sauce that coats this delight. Tempura? You have to get pass my wife, who is particular on crispness, proper warmth and tenderness on the inside, still moist and lightly golden on the outside, never over cooked. She enjoyed them with delight! Last, the Agadashi tofu, is great to start the meal. As for sake, don't waste time on the sparkling sake like I did. I am a hot sake lover, cold sake sampler on occasion. But the sparkling sake was too much fluff. You would fair better with Saporro. Definite a must try!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best unknown sushi/noodle placeVicinSFDined on 11/6/2014Wide variety of seafood, some imported from Japan. Prices reasonable for a SF sushi place. Small, many regulars, hidden away but worth the find. One member of the party is not open to raw fish but was ecstatic over the ramen (had to ask for a vege preparation, graciously granted). Try it!Special Features:
- The real dealDinerFromChez55VIPDined on 10/31/2014Having been to Japan dozens of times, I have to say I experience a fair amount of disappointment at Bay Area Japanese restaurants. But Otoro Sushi is an exception and arguably one of the top three sushi restaurants in the Bay Area. The quality of the fish, the faithfulness of the preparation and presentation is fantastic. They have a variety of exquisitely rendered (cooked) traditional and interpreted Japanese dishes for those who may not be as sushi-centric.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service - great grill.DBRossDined on 10/31/2014The staff are friendly, welcoming and professional. The grilled chicken and tuna were great. One the the rolls had pumpkin which was a nice theme option but did not really work with tuna. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent food, beautifully presented. Well balanced flavours. Helpful descriptions and recommendations from the waitress. Can get a little noisy when full, but noise levels ok for a 1 to 1 conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite sushi place in the cityCherryDined on 10/20/2014Absolutely love this place, however for the first time, one of our favorite dishes was not at its typical level of awesomeness. Regardless, still a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go in Hayes ValleyOT123VIPDined on 10/18/2014Good fine, nice room, excellent service, very friendly people. It's all good here. I'm a bit of a regular and must say that I look forward to every visit. Sushi is always excellent and the Japanese prepared food is also great. This is a place where you can go for quick bite or a business gathering. It all works. Outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very small quantityalexandreDined on 10/4/2014It was ok but very disappointed with quantity. We ordered Omakase and got 10 pieces each.... Also very very loud. Overall not a good experience - perhaps because I had high expectations.
- Great for pre concert or operaTime2EatVIPDined on 10/4/2014Excellent sushi and a wide variety of small plate specials. Small list of well chosen wines.Special Features:
- Outstanding Japanese foodeat2jightVIPDined on 9/30/2014The entire experience at Otoro was first rate. The food was delicious, creative and beautifully presented. Our waitperson helped us choose a wonderful sake. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jose del CorralJoseDined on 9/30/2014I'm only going to say two things: OTORO NIGIRI + OTORO SASHIMI Just amazing, best sushi in SF!Special Features:
- Great sushi, great serviceDiningMattersVIPDined on 9/25/2014Overall, very fresh fish and attentive service. The saki flight is a nice touch. Crispy tempura, excellent spider and rainbow rolls. Cucumber salad was good although a small portion. Excellent miso soup. The only disappointment was the grilled octopus. Needed something -- a tad bland. We are members of the SF Jazz Center and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- great service - delicious foodKSK13Dined on 9/16/2014wonderful fish, excellent vegetable dishes - spinach with sesame, mushrooms. very friendly and helpful service.Special Features:
- San Francisco SushiFoodHunterVIPDined on 9/9/2014I'm often underwhelmed by the sushi restaurants in SF. This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend. I was pleasantly surprised how fresh and tasty the sushi and sashimi were. Almost everything we had tasted fresh. Look forward to returning to this restaurant in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome sushi in Hayes ValleyOT123VIPDined on 9/6/2014I'm a regular at this spot...the food is always great and the sushi is fresh and wonderful. Keep up the wonderful restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fishSsssDined on 8/30/2014This place was great. The fish was super fresh and very tasty. We made a reservation, which I would recommend. The place is very quaint but that adds to the ambience. The server was very nice and the host/maybe owner? Served us as well. I was impressed by the quality of fish, the salmon melted in my mouth practically! Overall great experience, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Otoro had a very small restaurant but it was quaint and cozy. Good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Otoro-not just for the neighborhoodVicinSFDined on 8/16/2014They have great sushi - some fish imported from Japan. Interesting combinations, unusual choices, all immaculately prepared. And my companion goes for the soba in broth, which he swears is top-notch. Service is fast, pleasant, not officious - informal like the rest of the restaurant. The owner is on hand to make sure that all goes smoothly and is up to snuff. It's loud, but better at lunch on on weekdays than weekends. Small, so reserve on Opentable!Special Features:
- Well-kept secretSFFoodie550Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent place to go before or after performance at SF Jazz Center or other venues in the area.Special Features:
- Fine SushiErinDined on 8/13/2014The sushi is fine, but overpriced for what it is. They did have a nice selection of fresh fish of the day though.
- food4thoughtDined on 7/31/2014Amazing sushi, fresh creative delicious rolls. A small neighborhood restaurant, specializing in perfection.Special Features:
- Great sushi - close to the symphonyTeedupDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I went here for dinner before attending a concert at the SF Symphony. Otoro was quick, great sushi, a large Specials Menu. The place is small so reservations are recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 206 reviews are from the Otoro Sushi reviews archive.
- Good depending on your orderOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/24/2014I have been here 3 times and it can be good depending on what you order. The dishes we found we like is the hawaiian poke with octopus, agedashi tofu, their sashimi dish with truffle oil and their rolls. We also always enjoy the otoro. We mainly don't really like their regular dishes, but anything sushi or fresh fish related have been very good. Service has always been good and friendly.
- One of SF"s Best Sushi RestaurantsSFNativeVIPDined on 7/17/2014I've eaten at Otoro Sushi at least eight times over the past year. The food they serve is delicious! I've taken friends and family members there too and everyone has liked it. If you're looking for great sushi around Hayes Valley, Otoro Sushi is a must!Special Features:
- Otoro AuthenticBudulDined on 7/17/2014The cuisine is authentic Japanese. Many daily specials. Great service. Get there early if you're going to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre opera/symphony choiceTime2EatVIPDined on 7/8/2014Very fresh fish elegantly prepared. Large menu of sushi and tapas.
- Sweet Spot!MartinigirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014Great neighborhood spot! They get fish from Japan and Baby Snapper is a standout! The tongue with ume is fun, so was the shisito stuffed with spicy tuna. Buy the chefs a beer and enjoy their recommendations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish and great servicekosinskiDined on 6/20/2014The fish here is fresh and of excellent quality. Preparations are creative yet authentic. Service was wonderful -- our server informed us about the specials and helped us choose our dishes without being pushy, and she seemed genuinely interested in our enjoyment of them. Pacing was perfect.Special Features:
- It was mediocreTiredVIPDined on 6/6/2014It was slow service, and medium quality food. We would not go there again
- Aprés Symphony SpotSonicEmEatsDined on 5/19/2014Great for noshing before a show. Not the best sushi but good. Very nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O toroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Great sashimi, tasty small plates. Michelin guide recommended restaurant ...but pretty pricey for what you get. Some dishes I have had better elsewhere for much cheaper. Garlic albacore and kakuni were delicious. Salmon belly was easily forgettable and slightly fishy in taste. The fly crawling on the table really killed it for me in ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Delicious!SFNativeVIPDined on 5/16/2014Otoro Sushi is one of the best Japanese restaurants in SF. The sushi is divine. I took a friend who was visiting from out of state and she was amazed by how delicious our meal was! Such a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Great for Pre-ShowModernistVIPDined on 5/9/2014Awesome sushi, they were very kind to hold our table as we hit bridge traffic. Polite efficient service to get us to our show on time, thank you!Special Features:
- Very fresh sushi!HannaVIPDined on 5/2/2014Great place for sushi in the Hayes Valley neighborhood; especially nice before Ballet or Symphony, great fresh daily selections of fish, good rolls, and sashimi was wonderful. Love the sushi bar and chefs.Special Features:
- Fresh fish, innovative menuRichDined on 4/29/2014Service is always friendly and excellent. Cozy spot in a great neighborhood. Lunch or dinner, doesn't matter, always good.Special Features:
- A real gemjimkVIPDined on 4/28/2014Otoro is a real gem. Very low-key but with excellent genuine food. We have been here 4 times and everytime food has been first-rate.
- Solid SushimawdawDined on 4/22/2014Good food; the specials were interesting, especially one roll that included pumpkin. Wish they had a sashimi menu, or an omakase offering.Special Features:
- terribleHaroldVIPDined on 4/18/2014cutting corners...the vegetable tempura roll seems to be 2 pieces of carrot fried to a crisp, and the shrimp tempura also suffers from the bad fry...the service takes forever even if you beg for a check so not a good idea to plan a concert after this meal.The sushi is not delicate its very salty as if preserved for a long sea voyage. The waiters are unfriendly and try not to look at the waving customers. The beer is warm.... NOt sure what the draw is here?...... but the best thing here is the colored glass lights.