205 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.otorosushi.com/
- Phone: (415) 553-3986
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Otoro Sushi
Otoro Sushi is a hidden gem in the Hayes Valley. Our sushi experts will go to great lengths to bring you the freshest ingredients to offer San Francisco Bay Area patrons Japan"s best traditional sushi and tapas. Otoro Sushi is perfect for small groups and also has a wonderful sake and wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Otoro Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (11)romantic (8)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Good sushiopentableSF12345Dined on 9/20/2013Great location and I love that you can make reservations. The sushi was good, but nothing amazing. Maybe we just ordered wrong. I'd go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sushi!PaloAltoDinerDined on 9/14/2013We ducked into Otoro Sushi pre-Opera and were delighted by very tasty food and quick service. We indulged in several of the specials, sea scallops (sliced into four discs and served in scallop shells), garlic soft shell crab, hamachi tartare, and aji (Spanish Mackeral. The latter dish was a two course dish: sashimi is served first, then the skeleton is deep-fried and served as a crunchy foil. Very interesting combination of flavors and textures. The kitchen was quick and dishes came out in rapid order, so patrons of the arts won't be late for their evening performances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well-priced, quality sushi/sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2013well-priced, quality sushi/sashimi and friendly, attentive service.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!RichDDined on 9/7/2013We had a combination of apetizers, rolls and sushi and enjoyed it all. Really great food overall; worth making a reservation as the place is very small....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All enjoyed good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2013We had a group of 10 for an early 5:30 dinner before the opera and the restaurant was very accommodating. It is a small space but worked out great for us as we could hear each other talk and we weren't rushed out The group all enjoyed everything ordered.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi everILoveSushiDined on 8/27/2013I've eaten sushi in Tokyo before, and Otoro's is on par with it, if not better! This really was one of the best sushi experiences of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cozy & vibrant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2013Otoro has a fantastic selection of sushi. We had several rolls, maki, sushi and starters and all were delicious. The gyoza were excellent, along with the otoro (fatty tuna) sushi and pork belly! The restaurant is quite small but I really like the layout, it makes it intimate. You can sit along the bar and watch the pro's at work, too! AND they take reservations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/17/2013We enjoyed the monkfish pate, garlic soft crab, and Spider rolls. I would like to go back and try the other interesting-sounding rolls - and their desserts. This place's got interesting-sounding plates - and I would definitely order these over the more usual, "ordinary"-sounding plates (e.g., ramen). I would also check out their blackboard for specials. If I'm in the area, I would definitely also go there for lunch. I am not that much into sushi, but this one place has convinced me otherwise.Special Features:
- Fresh sushi in a central locationSffoodloverDined on 8/15/2013Except fresh sushi. Staff is extremely friendly and service is efficient and fast. Our favorite was the fresh scallops on the sell! Simply excellent!! Will definitely come back!Special Features:
- We had an OpenTable reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2013We had an OpenTable reservation for 8:30 but did not get seated till after 9. Crammed in the doorway. Sushi was good at a reasonable price. Chefs and servers were good but the place needs someone to manage reservations/ seating...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Otoro GemdiningoutfanDined on 8/1/2013The sushi was delicious! The service perfect! A perfect place to go before the symphony!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food, service notOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2013Food here is fantastic BUT we waited for 40 mins for our OpenTable booked table. Then the service was slow. It took about 10 mins for them to grab our CC's from the table with the check and it is a small restaurant so they walked past numerous times before we got their attention. Shame as the sushi here is phenomenal!I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Rate Service Great FoodDonnJulieVIPDined on 7/30/2013Small, intimate place with friendly staff and exceptional food. Will return.Special Features:
- Good sushi at great pricesBellaDined on 7/26/2013Great Sushi and incredibly reasonable prices (a lot of options for around $6 for 6 pieces). The staff seemed a little busy at times so our service wasn't always as prompt as I would've liked, which was strange given how small the restaurant was. However, the quality of food made it worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars plusDelightVIPDined on 7/10/2013There were 4 of us, each picking an assortment of dishes, and couldn't stop talking about the meal. There was not one order that disappointed us. One of those small neighborhood gems that you stumble upon now and then and look forward to the next visit.Special Features:
- Outstanding sushi, very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/9/2013Outstanding sushi, very friendly staff. Small restaurant can be noisy.Special Features:
- fresh and creative sushi/sashimifoodfanDined on 7/6/2013fresh and creative sushi/sashimi offerings. Nice and helpful staff. Restaurant is very small but comfortable. Enjoyed our visit and look forward to returning and trying more dishes.Special Features:
- Love of raw fishMellyBellyDined on 7/5/2013I have been dining here for over four years and the quality is always perfect. They have amazing fish from Japan that I never pass up. The Uni is one of my favorites!!! Min is a great sushi chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2013Otoro sushi was delicious. We went off of the specials menu and everything was great. We had reservations for four people and were shown to our table immediately. Other than being a little bit warm in the restaurant, it was perfect. It is a small place but a good find!
- Fresh food, friendly serviceMetaphorDined on 6/27/2013Convenient location on Oak at Gough, a few minutes walk from Davies or the Opera House, Otoro Sushi has an extensive menu of Japanese dishes that are fresh and flavorful including a long list of specials on the blackboard behind the bar. Service is friendly and efficient. Like almost all restaurants these days, the hard surfaces of the walls and ceiling make the place noisy, which is a pity. If the place were less noisy, the food would probably taste better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findmxsingerVIPDined on 6/22/2013very fresh and stylish setting. great find for events around civic centerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I booked this just becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/12/2013I booked this just because of the location, and it turned out to be a terrific find. Excellent sushi, great sake list, a few different items on the menue and a great vide. Loved it.Special Features:
- Otoro Sushi has a lot of specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2013Otoro Sushi has a lot of special dishes listed on a chalk board. Be sure to ask your server for a description of each and his or her recommendation. I received excellent advice on my order!Special Features:
- Best sushi near Hayes ValleyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2013The fish is better than other sushi places, every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fatty Tunamephy9Dined on 6/5/2013The fish was fresh and decadent. Cuts were generous and service was extremely fast. I enjoyed everything, but especially the Hamachi Carpaccio with Truffle Oil and Walu (Butterfish). I didn't try the Uni, but my date said it was delectable. The noisiness was too much at times since it's a small, crowded space, but everything else was terrific. Try the Yuzu Sake, it pairs well with rolls that have tempura.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi was very good, notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2013The sushi was very good, not the best I've had, but very good. It is small so the tables are very close together, which can be an advantage if you have good "neighbors", which we did. The service was excellent. Very close to the Davies Symphony Hall and the Opera house, a good place to eat before events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding sushi served byOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2013Outstanding sushi served by an attentive and knowledgeable staff. Go right to the blackboard and order any of the specials and you will be happy, though everything we have tried on the regular menu is also outstanding. This is our new pre-symphony favorite.Special Features:
- imaginative and very freshcrispanVIPDined on 5/9/2013imaginative and very fresh sushi, one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/30/2013excellent sushi as well as traditional Japanese food - a small place with terrific foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food really was write goodJudyVIPDined on 4/25/2013Food really was write good but service left a lot to be desired. We had to repeatedly ask for water, sweetener, working chopsticks, etc before food even arrived. It is a tiny place: only 6 tables and the bar - so one server and host should have been able to handle it.
- We were running SO LATE andNoraDined on 4/20/2013We were running SO LATE and I had to call twice to apologize. Luckily there were two seats at the bar, so we were still able to sit down as soon as we got to the restaurant. Sushi was delicious (we enjoyed some rolls + daily special nigiri per recommendation from the host) and the service was prompt and courteous.
- Based on previous reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/17/2013Based on previous reviews I expected very basic, non-designed, interiors. In fact, although simple, it was quite pleasant. We were there early, and with a reservation, so no problem re seating. All tables were filled when we left and only a few people were waiting. The food was very good and beautifully presented. We got the Special Grasshopper Roll which was picture worthy.
- Outstanding Sushi and otherOT123VIPDined on 4/6/2013Outstanding Sushi and other Japanese specialties. Reasonably priced, very fresh fish, great service, good people.Special Features:
- Cute little place. Lots ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/4/2013Cute little place. Lots of intriguing specials. Fit for carnivores and vegetarians alike. They have a vegetarian section on their sushi menu and several veggie appetizers.Special Features:
- A little off the beaten pathOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2013A little off the beaten path Otoro is a great find. Food was delicious and the service was great. The place is on the smaller side so you should make reservations. However, we we to an early dinner, 5:30 and there were only a few people there. By the time we left the place was nearly full.Special Features:
- Good quality sushi and niceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/21/2013Good quality sushi and nice staff. Creative rolls and good specials. Really like going here.Special Features:
- Took 30 minutes to be seated,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/15/2013Took 30 minutes to be seated, even with a reservation.
- Don't bother making a reservation.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013Don't bother making a reservation. We called to push back our time they said no. We rushed to make it on time. They told us it would be a few mins. 45 mins later they sat people without reservations and told us if we wanted a table instead of sitting at the bar we should have requested it. Food was fine but don't bother using open table. They don't care about the reservation.Special Features:
- Otoro has consistently beenOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/2/2013Otoro has consistently been our favorite Japanese in SF serving innovative dishes beyond the traditional rolls. Try the chef's choice, OMAKASE and you will be surprised by new dishes and flavors. Prices are very reasonable for this quality of food.Special Features:
- A real find with originalcrispanVIPDined on 3/1/2013A real find with original and fresh sushi. Intimate surroundings, great attention to detail. I'll come back. Rates as highly as several far more expensive and fancier sushi restaurants.Special Features: