205 Oak Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.otorosushi.com/
- Phone: 4155533986
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Otoro Sushi
Otoro Sushi is a hidden gem in the Hayes Valley. Our sushi experts will go to great lengths to bring you the freshest ingredients to offer San Francisco Bay Area patrons Japan"s best traditional sushi and tapas. Otoro Sushi is perfect for small groups and also has a wonderful sake and wine selection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Otoro Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (9)hot spot (4)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fresh fishSsssDined on 8/30/2014This place was great. The fish was super fresh and very tasty. We made a reservation, which I would recommend. The place is very quaint but that adds to the ambience. The server was very nice and the host/maybe owner? Served us as well. I was impressed by the quality of fish, the salmon melted in my mouth practically! Overall great experience, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quaintOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Otoro had a very small restaurant but it was quaint and cozy. Good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Otoro-not just for the neighborhoodVicinSFDined on 8/16/2014They have great sushi - some fish imported from Japan. Interesting combinations, unusual choices, all immaculately prepared. And my companion goes for the soba in broth, which he swears is top-notch. Service is fast, pleasant, not officious - informal like the rest of the restaurant. The owner is on hand to make sure that all goes smoothly and is up to snuff. It's loud, but better at lunch on on weekdays than weekends. Small, so reserve on Opentable!Special Features:
- Well-kept secretSFFoodie550Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent place to go before or after performance at SF Jazz Center or other venues in the area.Special Features:
- Fine SushiErinDined on 8/13/2014The sushi is fine, but overpriced for what it is. They did have a nice selection of fresh fish of the day though.
- food4thoughtDined on 7/31/2014Amazing sushi, fresh creative delicious rolls. A small neighborhood restaurant, specializing in perfection.Special Features:
- Great sushi - close to the symphonyTeedupDined on 7/30/2014My wife and I went here for dinner before attending a concert at the SF Symphony. Otoro was quick, great sushi, a large Specials Menu. The place is small so reservations are recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good depending on your orderOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/24/2014I have been here 3 times and it can be good depending on what you order. The dishes we found we like is the hawaiian poke with octopus, agedashi tofu, their sashimi dish with truffle oil and their rolls. We also always enjoy the otoro. We mainly don't really like their regular dishes, but anything sushi or fresh fish related have been very good. Service has always been good and friendly.
- One of SF"s Best Sushi RestaurantsSFNativeVIPDined on 7/17/2014I've eaten at Otoro Sushi at least eight times over the past year. The food they serve is delicious! I've taken friends and family members there too and everyone has liked it. If you're looking for great sushi around Hayes Valley, Otoro Sushi is a must!Special Features:
- Otoro AuthenticBudulDined on 7/17/2014The cuisine is authentic Japanese. Many daily specials. Great service. Get there early if you're going to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pre opera/symphony choiceTime2EatVIPDined on 7/8/2014Very fresh fish elegantly prepared. Large menu of sushi and tapas.
- Sweet Spot!MartinigirlDined on 6/25/2014Great neighborhood spot! They get fish from Japan and Baby Snapper is a standout! The tongue with ume is fun, so was the shisito stuffed with spicy tuna. Buy the chefs a beer and enjoy their recommendations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish and great servicekosinskiDined on 6/20/2014The fish here is fresh and of excellent quality. Preparations are creative yet authentic. Service was wonderful -- our server informed us about the specials and helped us choose our dishes without being pushy, and she seemed genuinely interested in our enjoyment of them. Pacing was perfect.Special Features:
- It was mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/6/2014It was slow service, and medium quality food. We would not go there again
- Aprés Symphony SpotSonicEmEatsDined on 5/19/2014Great for noshing before a show. Not the best sushi but good. Very nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O toroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Great sashimi, tasty small plates. Michelin guide recommended restaurant ...but pretty pricey for what you get. Some dishes I have had better elsewhere for much cheaper. Garlic albacore and kakuni were delicious. Salmon belly was easily forgettable and slightly fishy in taste. The fly crawling on the table really killed it for me in ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Delicious!SFNativeVIPDined on 5/16/2014Otoro Sushi is one of the best Japanese restaurants in SF. The sushi is divine. I took a friend who was visiting from out of state and she was amazed by how delicious our meal was! Such a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Great for Pre-ShowModernistVIPDined on 5/9/2014Awesome sushi, they were very kind to hold our table as we hit bridge traffic. Polite efficient service to get us to our show on time, thank you!Special Features:
- The following 195 reviews are from the Otoro Sushi reviews archive.
- Very fresh sushi!HannaVIPDined on 5/2/2014Great place for sushi in the Hayes Valley neighborhood; especially nice before Ballet or Symphony, great fresh daily selections of fish, good rolls, and sashimi was wonderful. Love the sushi bar and chefs.Special Features:
- Fresh fish, innovative menuRichDined on 4/29/2014Service is always friendly and excellent. Cozy spot in a great neighborhood. Lunch or dinner, doesn't matter, always good.Special Features:
- A real gemjimkVIPDined on 4/28/2014Otoro is a real gem. Very low-key but with excellent genuine food. We have been here 4 times and everytime food has been first-rate.
- Solid SushimawdawDined on 4/22/2014Good food; the specials were interesting, especially one roll that included pumpkin. Wish they had a sashimi menu, or an omakase offering.Special Features:
- terribleHaroldVIPDined on 4/18/2014cutting corners...the vegetable tempura roll seems to be 2 pieces of carrot fried to a crisp, and the shrimp tempura also suffers from the bad fry...the service takes forever even if you beg for a check so not a good idea to plan a concert after this meal.The sushi is not delicate its very salty as if preserved for a long sea voyage. The waiters are unfriendly and try not to look at the waving customers. The beer is warm.... NOt sure what the draw is here?...... but the best thing here is the colored glass lights.
- Waitress was quite unfriendlyRezziechickVIPDined on 4/12/2014Food was good but the waitress was very unfriendly and looked like working there was a painful experience.
- Could not be more perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/3/2014We came to Otoro for our wedding dinner, just four of us after a City Hall wedding followed by a ferry ride to Sausalito. What a perfect day, and Jimmy ended it superbly (as usual). Special, special sushi superbly prepared. I have known Otoro since before it was opened, and know the care and quality that goes into serving every customer. A neighborhood gem indeed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok Sushi, Manager with attitudeDeclanVIPDined on 4/2/2014First time dining in Otoro Sushi. I arrived on time for our reservation. The maître d' / manager was stacking glasses when I entered and said "I'll be right with you". A minute later, he came over and asked if I had a reservation. I said that I did and gave him my name. He said he would seat me when the entire party (2) was there. I explained that my friend was parking the car. Despite the fact that there were 5 open tables, he insisted that I remain standing in the tiny entrance way until my friend arrived. We asked for an ice bucket to keep the white wine chilled but they said they only had one ice bucket and it was already in use. Despite the nice service from the table-side server and the OK sushi I will not be returning here.
- Outstanding foodBayAreaNativeDined on 3/31/2014I took two friends out for a pre-concert meal on a week night, our first time here. We sampled about ten different dishes --hot and cold appetizers, including veggie caterpillar roll, dragon roll, sea bream, the astonishing asparagus and kobe beef special, melt in your mouth tofu agadashi, a special of green lipped mussels with a spicy sauce, the seaweed salad, and more. Everything was exquisite, delicious, beautifully to look at, and presented by an attentive and welcoming server. The two specials were so good that we ordered repeats. I cannot recommend this place enough! Prices commensurate with the area, and very good value for this level of quality. Be sure to make reservations; many people waiting around 7PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Sushi but no so Fresh ManagerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/21/2014The sushi is tasty and fresh here but the manager is absolutely rude. He doesn't know how to treat customers from the way he talks. We felt like he was barking at us the moment we walked in the door and when we paid our bill. I have never had a manager point his finger at my face when being spoken to. Just rude. The waitresses who serve the tables are great though.
- Their Otoro on the specialsRhejinaldVIPDined on 3/19/2014Their Otoro on the specials board is the best sashimi I've had in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fantastic experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/14/2014Always a fantastic experience. Great fish and sake'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun neighborhood sushi placeHannaVIPDined on 3/14/2014Went here before the ballet -sat at the sushi bar-fun atmosphere -sushi was fresh -great sashimi-service quick & efficient-would go back.Special Features:
- Very Good Sushi in Hayes ValleyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2014Otoro Sushi is my go to place if I want to have sushi before a performance nearby. The rolls are creative and artistically presented and the fish is very fresh and cut properly. The service is warm and efficient, which is important for pre-performance dining. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Excellent SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/11/2014Went there for a two year anniversary. We had hamachi sashimi, uni nigri, aji nigri (spanich mackeral), iwashi nigri (sardine), otorro (fatty tuna) and kanpachi nigri (amber jack) and uni. All of the fish was very fresh and the cuts were a good size. The spicy squid tentacle appetizer was really good as well. We had one of the rolls as well and it was the only thing that was forgettable. This place is for good fish, not specialty rolls. Two large sakes and two beers rounded it out for $115 before tip. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible wait with reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/8/20143 times this happened, I had a reservation and when arrived no table, for 45 minutes or no table at all, only bar seats. Not nice. Food is great, but staff not prepared to manage their demand, make more time betweeen your reservations please.
- Fresh, delicious nigiri!foodie4567VIPDined on 3/8/2014Some of the best fish my boyfriend and I have ever had. Everyone (sushi chefs, wait staff, manager) was so helpful and nice. Pretty small place, so I would definitely recommend making a reservation. Great place to grab dinner with a friend or significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Hayes Valley sushiOT123VIPDined on 3/8/2014Otoro Sushi never fails to deliver. Always fresh, perfectly prepared, great service, very nice people....this is the place to go for Japanese food in the Hayes Valley area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, fresh sushi and sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014I went with friends and had several nigiri, some sushi rolls and some sashimi and everything was delicious. Their sake list is also very good. We did have to wait about 15 minutes for a table to open up AFTER our reservation time, even though our reservation was for 9:30pm, so that was not so great, but we fixed that issue by getting a bottle of sake to start drinking while waiting. The fish is really fresh and delicious. I spent time in Japan (several months in total) and I find the sushi here to be of very good quality even when comparing it to food in Japan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014They gave us free sake when we accidentally spilled it, and we really appreciated the gesture. Sushi was delicious.Special Features:
- Good sushi, less good servicejhnsfVIPDined on 3/1/2014Sushi was great - fresh and well prepared. Service was slow and rather unattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny and TerrificstonybrokeDined on 2/28/2014The Bay Area is sadly lacking in spotless sushi bars with amazing fare. Otoro Sushi meets and goes far beyond that Japanese standard: absolutely delicious, imaginative food served by friendly, efficient, polite staff in an artfully lovely, clean setting. The small space means you must create privacy via courtesy -- a small price to pay for such always-delicious dining pleasures of Japanese standards and daily specials. From their house special Otoro Roll to the incredibly light and eye-rollingly-tasty gyoza, sunomonos, tempuras & impressive selection of saki, Otoro Sushi is THE off-Market Street Hayes Valley tiny but terrific treasure. It stars on our well-whittled-down A-list of San Francisco's best. Reservations a VERY good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.