OTD (aka Out the Door - Bush St.)
2232 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94115Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
OTD (aka Out the Door - Bush St.)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.outthedoors.com/
- Phone: 4159239575
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
br>Lunch: 11:00am – 2:30pm
Mid-day Snack: 2:30pm – 4:30
Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 9:00am –3:00pm
Dinner Monday-Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
Dinner Sunday 5:30pm- 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For advanced notice pick-up orders, contact us at (415) 923-9575. For more information on off site catering please contact email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact a manager for pricing and details.
- Private Party Contact: Valerie Klein 4159239575
A word from OTD (aka Out the Door - Bush St.)
Charles Phan's latest addition comes to Pacific Heights. OTD serves lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Weekend brunch offers popular brunch favorites.
20 walk-in counter seats are also available on a first-come basis.
Weekend brunch offers popular brunch favorites.
20 walk-in counter seats are also available on a first-come basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
OTD (aka Out the Door - Bush St.) reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (64)great for lunch (38)good for groups (25)hot spot (24)great for brunch (23)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (8)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Interesting fusion tasteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/27/2014Went there for dinner this week and had a good experience. the jicama and grapefruit salad was delicious, the entrees were good, but not great. We had the fried chicken, which had a really interesting breading, but was just alright. We also had the opah which came in an incredibly thick sauce (almost a stew). The fish was a bit overcooked and it seems like the sauce was an attempt to save that. It was also odd for an entree to have that much sauce, but no rice. We didn't eat dessert, but their selection wasn't very exciting I'd still recommend it.Special Features:
- Casual Fun & Entertaining!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014We didn't, but should have, asked to sit at the counter in front of the woks and all the action. The smells were fantastic and the food was the culmination of that wonderful cacophony of sound and smell. We had the shrimp fresh spring rolls (subtle & minty) & the hue dumplings (little pillows of texture and flavor). Then the clay pot chicken (nom nom), shaking beef (melt in your mouth) accompanied by brown rice with sautéed Swiss chard (yum!) and the BEST EVER Brussels Sprouts! We drank Reisling (recommendation of the house) and Hitachino Nest Red Rice beer and herbal teas afterwards. It was a fantastic meal with helpful, attentive and non-intrusive service. We WILL return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!SmileVIPDined on 10/25/2014We always love the food at OTD! Spring rolls, daikon rice cakes, pork buns and the pho are awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy once again!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Delicious beignets, papaya salad and pickled vegies. The food is yummy, the help is, well, helpful, and the neighbors that gather here friendly and fun. I come in from Sacramento to enjoy the neighborhood and it is my first stop for food.Special Features:
- An off night?classicDined on 10/21/2014First, the staff is some of the nicest that I have met in any restaurant in the city. The problem is that the service was very sketchy, it took almost fifteen minutes before anyone asked what we would like to drink. Then the food took forever and it wasn't that busy of a night. The spring roll with the shrimp was pretty tasteless, the shrimp entree was not good either. The pork chop was the winner at the table, it was visually beautiful, delicious and a huge portion. The other dishes were unremarkable. I will give them another shot because I have heard such good things from other people.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/21/2014Always good fresh food with wonderful service. It is too noisy but still worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little too much sugar, but goodDavidSFOVIPDined on 10/17/2014All (and I do mean ALL) of Charles Phan's restaurants use too much sugar (or other sweeteners). It's typical of restaurants that are trying to cater to the all-American palette -- salt-sugar-fat. Wonderful triumvirate. That said, there are some items on the OTD menu that are outstanding. Both veggie and shrimp/pork spring rolls (tho' the peanut sauce might as well be poured over ice cream it's so sweet); the papaya salad is awesome. We also had green beans which were good (blanched, then pan sautéed), but not terribly inventive. The Hue dumplings were good, interesting, too sweet. And the salt and pepper squid was lightly battered and fried, but the addition of grilled pineapple ruined it. Overall, it was solid. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Asian Fusion FoodGalaDined on 10/11/2014Admitting that I have been to Slanted door only once, I would always go back to OTD (the little sister restaurant). The dishes are easily shared with two or four people at your table. This way you get to try more of the many delicious choices. They had a lot of vegetarian and fish dishes, so it's a great choice if you want to get away from all the meat. Going around 6pm is advisable because it is not as crowded and noisy as it can be later in the evening.Special Features:
- Don't miss this placeSFFinDined on 10/9/2014Every visit to San Francisco must include OTD. Every flavor is discernible and fresh without meshing together. Somehow they always get the combinations spot on. Service is always enthusiastic but never in your face. I always feel welcome and leave totally satisfied. I look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPassion4foodVIPDined on 10/7/2014Disappointing is word comes to mind when describing our experience at OTD. As a long time fan of Slanted Door and OTD in the Ferry Building I expected the same quality of food, service and ambiance. The food was the most off. Had the jicama and grapefruit salad and spring rolls to start. The salad had a weird taste and the nuts tasted stale. The spring rolls were not bad but again something was off. Had eggplant and mahi mahi next. Eggplant was chewy and mahi mahi was just okay. Presentation of food, plates not as nice as Slanted Door, but that may be because they are going down market with OTD. The ambiance was not as lively as Slanted Door and the energy coming from kitchen was not same.Special Features:
- Fun place with amazing foodSmileVIPDined on 10/4/2014Every dish is always such a treat. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood SavyfocusDined on 10/2/2014While the restaurant location is not the easiest for out of town visitors to get to, the effort was worth it. Our seafood meals were both delicious. The scallops were perfectly cooked and seasoned, the best we've ever had. The shrimp stir fry was very good, though the sweet carmelized sauce was tasty but a bit heavy.
- Pleasant surprise!Yul2goDined on 9/25/2014A bit disconcerting at first, you can still recognize the traditional fare of the vietnamese restaurant but always with a little addiitional twist. We went there twice during our stay in SF, very satisfied both times. The ribs are a must, as are their variations on the dumplings, and their shrimps too! Service is attentive, a bit on the fast side but they will slow down if asked. Oh, and they also have a few wines on tap, we had very decent pinot and carignan. Noise level is fairly high but remains acceptable, and contributes to the lively ambience of the place.Special Features:
- Fresh and interesting mix of foodGoodfoodtravellerDined on 9/25/2014We found OTD bush st offered us a fabulous taste of fresh food prepared in a way that combined amazing produce with perfect combinations of flavours. The hint of Vietnamese with Chinese cuisine produces an amazing taste without destroying the fresh flavours. The atmosphere is vibrant and uplifting while the service is attentive and friendly. Well worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceFoodySBDined on 9/23/2014Food is excellent and the ambiance chic. We did feel a bit rushed by the server which in SF restaurants is usually not the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo deliciousSmileVIPDined on 9/20/2014Love this place! Everything we try on the menu is super yummy. Spring rolls, daikon cakes, pho, and lemongrass pork are my favs on the brunch menu!Special Features:
- Iconic Little Sister - Slanted DoorGreathighwayDined on 9/19/2014If you can't get into Slanted Door, why hassle and instead go here. The food is outstanding and the service matches the food. It is hard to get a reservation, but there is counter seating and a big communal table, so give it a chance. You won't regret it. Also the lunch menu is different and just as good, so sneak away and catch a superb lunch as well. We go at least once a month, would go more, but want to savior the time in between. Outstanding.......Special Features:
- The bomb!DisappointingDined on 9/17/2014Food was great, service was great, but I wish they would put in something in the decor to absorb the overwhelming noise, the place is SUPER noisy. Also, I think on yelp, it shows as 2 $$ but it was definitely more $$$.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingfitndineVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a disappointing meal. We felt it was overpriced Asian food. We had asked for recommendations (crepe) and it was not good. The food was greasy and heavy. The crepe had mostly onions and sprouts with two shrimps and two pieces of pork. The shell was an egg crepe and really greasy. We informed the waiter and they remade the crepes on the house but the second one had more ingredients but still very very greasy. The chicken dishes were good.
- Great food but.....SunflowerDined on 9/6/2014I've been there with friends on a Saturday. Setting is nice. The tables are a little cramped, service is friendly, the food is excellent. I would come back maybe during the week , with the hope of , it beeing a little bit more quiet. The noise level is just to much. It's hard to have a normal conversation, due to the noise.Special Features:
- pleasant experiencewillreturnDined on 8/30/2014read mixed reviews but we had a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OTD AOKmaudeVIPDined on 8/14/2014can't get enough of the classic slanted door grapefruit salad. and the spring rolls are perfect: fresh, crisp, full of flavor, with a killer peanut sauce that's not too thick. nice list of unusual asian teas. highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Vietnamese with energyGatorJohnVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food, excellent service, including what turned out to be great guidance and advice on what to order, to suit our tastes. We like to share dishes, so the choices of shrimp and lamb made for a sweet and sour effect. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014The food was delicious and plentiful. The service was friendly and excellent. However the noise level made it difficult to talk and hear. Not a good place for a business luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my favorite place in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/10/2014every time i walk into OTD i hope no one ever asks me to leave. enough said!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very disappointing morning...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/9/2014We go to OTD 1-2/week. We got to OTD at 9:10 (they open at 9 am) and were told: "We are running late. Come back at 9:30." Then a waiter thankfully recognizes as regulars and says, "Come sit down" and indeed the menu was ready. We almost left based on the 1st comment and the host with the false info never apologized. We ordered our food and were 10 minutes into our meal when another patron came in and threw a fit because he had reserved the table for 2 we were sitting at, but there were three other tables for 2 available. So even though his dining partner had not arrived, we were forced to move to another table. Finally, our steamed pork bun was cold. Our entire meal, no one stopped by to ask how we were doing or how our food was.
- SffoodieDined on 8/8/2014I made reservations at 11 AM. We waited at door till the 2 people folding napkins ( after turning around and giving us both looks of what are you doing here"? no smiles or acknowledgement. We were the first n only ones in restaurant. We ordered ,others came in and their appetizer arrived, Ours shortly after, then their soups split and another dish and we had not gotten either of our main dishes. We noticed others around us getting food,so my friend called over the waitress to question where our food was and she said " it takes longer to grill the chicken" n walks away. WE DIDn't order anything with chicken ? She forgot our order, hurriedly told the chef and both side n main came .No return from waitress NO "To insure Proper service" either.
- inventive, modern Vietnamese fooddraliVIPDined on 8/6/2014This remains an all time favorite with combinations of foods and spices not found elsewhere in San Francisco. Small plates of meat and fish delivered sequentially as they are prepared - each distinctly differently seasoned. Clay pot chicken always perfect, and any of the shrimp dishes exquisite. Finish the meal with one of their aromatic teas- this restaurant, although always busy and noisy, is a real treat.Special Features:
- We love this place!SmileVIPDined on 8/4/2014Every time we dine at OTD, we always leave so happy. The food (spring rolls, beef pho, chicken pho) and service is always superb! Dominick always takes such good care of us every time. We like sitting at the chef's table to look at all the food get prepared. They all look so delicious! Even the chefs are friendly at this place! We forgot our leftovers/doggie bag and as we turned around to walk back to the restaurant, our server was running out give it to us. It's nice that they always go that extra mile to make us feel special! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch place ever!SmileVIPDined on 8/2/2014Spring rolls, chicken pho and beef pho is an absolute must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Vietnamese I have ever hadLanDDined on 8/2/2014Really good modern vietnamese kitchen. Interesting and varied menu, experienced cooks (get a seat watching the person making the rice wraps, she was good). It was great to find a vietnamese place that is clean and modern with traditional flavours. Bring lots of people with you so you can try all the dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kumoDined on 8/1/2014This is a very eclectic restaurant with interresting dinner options. The service is excellent. The staff is very knowledgable of the menu and keeps the water glasses filled and the dishes removed and replaced with courteous efficency. The only downsides are the parking and noise level. Probably better to sit at the bar and watch the cooks.Special Features:
- GreatKikeDined on 7/28/2014We love it, we wish we have a Restaurant with this quality and original food back homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the doorDocDoc40VIPDined on 7/27/2014Treat yourself... Go in the door at out the door ... You will be happy.. A bit noises , but great food,and service more than makes up for the noiseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014The food was good but it was very noisy. You can't really have a conversation even if you are conversing with the person next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OTD Always YummyLessSaltPleezeDined on 7/25/2014Anders (chef) is the best!! He was in tonight, so the food was amazing as usual. We had the scallops, spring rolls, and crab in glass noodles. The only issue I have is that because it's so great and popular, the noise level gets too high for me. I love Charles Phan and OTD! Thanks, Anders, for another amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wonderful serviceDiningsceneDined on 7/24/2014We decided to eat tapas-style rather than in courses. The dishes are great for sharing. The selection is adundant without being overwhelming and many of the dishes mix-n-match well together. Delicious food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great brunch!SmileVIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I look forward to dining at OTD every weekend! The food and service is always amazing. We go for Saturday brunch to have spring rolls and pho. Their dinner menu is also amazing. The slow roasted pork spare ribs are a must! And the pork chop and the clay pot chicken are super delicious!Special Features:
- Always deliversLaraDined on 7/17/2014OTD always delivers amazing food! We took some out of town guests here and they loved the uniqueness of the dishes and tastes. My only complaint is the noise level, which made it hard to talk at a table of 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So delicious!SmileVIPDined on 7/12/2014Can't get enough of OTD! My husband and I love the food and the friendly service. Spring rolls, chicken pho and beef pho are so delicious! Other items on their menu are great too but we are addicted and can't seem to switch. Our favorite server Dominik takes such good care of us! Such friendly and knowledgeable staff at OTD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.