Otani Steak and Seafood
1532 Laskin Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Otani Steak and Seafood
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.otanigrill.com/
- Phone: (757) 425-0404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on weekends.
A word from Otani Steak and Seafood
Otani Steak and Seafood offers Japanese hibachi tables serving fresh seafood and steaks. They offer a Sushi bar and extensive Saki selection. Live Entertainment on weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Otani Steak and Seafood reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (15)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Fun for groupsKimVDined on 11/8/2014We went to celebrate some birthdays with kids and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and service and food were both good. The price point might be slightly high for some items but you do get a good amount of food. We would go back.Special Features:
- Otani Hibachi GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great place, great food, always a fun and exciting dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorsefamilyDined on 9/20/2014Service and show at the table was Awsome! For a large group and special dinner, this was perfect. Food was delicious!Special Features:
- If you like Hibachi styleSamiDined on 9/6/2014I'm not a fan of Hibachi cooking since they over salt the food and they usually don't use quality ingredients. But for a large group it's entertaining and children especially enjoy it. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hibachi GrillMaryVIPDined on 9/1/2014Food was excellent, sat with a nice group of people - one ordered their special shrimp and bragged on it. We got the combo: steak, chicken, shrimp excellent. We will return next time at VA Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining experiencePmenDined on 8/16/2014Very enjoyable experience. Waitstaff friendly and attentive, chef prepared a wonderful array of Hibachi selections that were fresh and grilled to perfection. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Very noisy but I would recommend for special occasion or group dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun time!NsuredDined on 7/28/2014Great hibachi grill with a fun experience. We always have a good time when eating here. They have the best "yum yum" sauce around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 219 reviews are from the Otani Steak and Seafood reviews archive.
- diningduoDined on 7/22/2014Standard tepanyaki dining. Drinks slow to order, had to wait for table to fill up before anyone appeared. Surfaces and floor all sticky, from the oil and shrimp flying no doubt. TV in one corner, thankfully not near our table. Food as expected, way too much salt!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014If you leave here hungry, it's your own fault. Great food, great atmosphere, great service.Special Features:
- Not greatNannyDined on 7/17/2014The food was just ok...not great. And why do they have a tv playing movies near the hibachi tables? Our chef kept turning around to watch and the movie,The Other Guys, was not really appropriate for younger children.
- Otanicgm2Dined on 7/9/2014The best Hibachi in VB. Our chef was hilarious and food was delicious. If you're looking to take a group out, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Hibachimagnet0Dined on 6/29/2014Not neccessarily the best hibachi experience but still a lot of fun. There is no other place like it near the VA Beach oceanfront. My wife and I have been there many times but this was the first time that I made a reservation. Reservations are generally not needed because this place seems to be a hidden spot. The grill experts seem to show off the normal tricks for a hibachi but the food quality is superb. We took our grandson who is only 3 years old. He was enthralled by the onion volcano and really impressed with the whole 'chef-in-your-face' style of cooking. He was certainly taken aback with the activity going on at the different grills. I think that this experience was one that he will remember from his trip to VA Beach.Special Features:
- Great experience!VAbeachgalDined on 6/20/2014we really enjoyed our dining experience. the food was excellent but we mostly enjoyed the teppanyaki chefs. they were obviously very talented but they were so funny--a great show. we had been to teppanyaki restaurants many times when we lived in Japan but none of them added the humor these chefs did. the kids really enjoyed it. the very young kids around the restaurant weren't sure how to respond to the huge flames. some cried. the prices were reasonable and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great time every time!BlkDynamiteDined on 6/15/2014I usually only go to Otani for special occasions, like Father's Day, since it is expensive for a family of my size. That being said, I love it every time. The food is great, the service is nice, and the chef always puts on a show. Also, the yum yum sauce is very addictive. The woman I sat next to had 3 refills! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone.Special Features:
- Fun and DifferentdontneedashovelDined on 6/13/2014Otani's is a fun place to eat. We have been there a few times, and our chef has always been friendly and entertaining. We love eating around the grill, and the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prom!SjaxxDined on 4/26/2014I had a group of 12 people come here for dinner, we all had a great time the server was great and the cook was hilarious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese cuisine!marysDined on 4/19/2014Otani has the best ginger salad dressing in the city. The chef was very entertaining, and my daughter loved the experience!Special Features:
- Show was LackingChxbchguyDined on 4/18/2014The food was excellent and worth the money but the chef was lacking in showmanship and/or personslity. Unfortunately, that can be the luck of the draw at any Japanese steakhouse. I've been here several times and this is the first time I wasn't blown away by the chef. He did make one the best volcanos I've ever seen though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st birthday partybirthdayDined on 4/4/2014We have been asking my son for his birthday to Otanis for years. This is the 2nd time we have been to this Otanis and we had the very best time ever. Jack was our chef and he made our dinner so much fun!! The portions and food was def worth it! I highly recommend Otanis! Ask for Jack:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a blast and the foodMom2MacknDomDined on 3/22/2014We had a blast and the food was top notch. So much food that most of us didn't even finish our meal.Special Features:
- Fun timeBusyMomofThreeDined on 2/27/2014Went for a birthday celebration. Chef was fun food was good and kids had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Birthday DinnerCindyDined on 2/15/2014Our chef was exceptional. He kept everyone thoroughly entertained along with preparing our excellent meals. I've been to your establishment for a lot of functions (business dinner, birthday celebrations, night out with friends) and I will continue to frequent as much as possible. We had a lot of fun and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, good serviceVickieDined on 2/9/2014We celebrated my daughters 31st Birthday with 9 guests. The food and service were very good. Excellent service. Will return,Special Features:
- HIBACHIVsfeb14Dined on 1/31/2014OUR CHEF KENNETH COULD'VE BEEN MORE FRIENDLY AND INTERACTIVE. WASN'T SURE IF HE WAS JUST HAVING A BAD DAY. FOOD WAS EXCELLENT AND COOKED TO PERFECTION. THIS ISN'T OUR FIRST TIME AT OTANI'SI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outMissG19Dined on 1/18/2014I went to celebrate my birthday this past Friday with a few friends. Once everyone arrived we were seated quickly. I went last year and decided to come back again. The chef we had this year was an older gentleman, so it was a relatively quiet experience compared to last year, which was full of great laughs and excitement. So that was a little disappointing. The food was great though. I'll definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Family tradition...JTLTDined on 1/3/2014Every year when my son & daughter come home for the holidays, we go to Otanis for a family dinner out. The food is exceptional, the chefs are entertaining, and you usually end up sitting with other folks you make friends with. All in all, a really great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent ExperienceJuanN2080Dined on 12/29/2013I was very entertained by the chef, the food was outstanding. I had a Medium Rare Filet Mignon with fried rice and scallops. All was cooked to perfection. These chefs are truly something to behold. This is not for shy people, the chefs love to communicate with the people they are cooking for. The waitresses were very polite. They wear kimonos which adds to the atmosphere making you feel like you are in Japan. I had an outstanding time and you will too. Give Otani's a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013The restaurant was overbooked and understaffed. Service was poor and staff was rude. Waited an hour for service, with a reservation, and finally decided to leave. Will never go there again!
- Very DisappointedthannahDined on 12/24/2013We love Otani's and we will still go there. THIS Christmas Eve, however, was very disappointing. We showed a little before our reservation at 7. There was no direction and we waited 40 minutes before being seated - even though we had reservations. The reason given was, "everyone showed up at the same time". Anyway, a few tables actually got up and walked out. They had been seated but had waited 45 minutes for their drink orders? We noticed only two cooks and after another 30 minutes, we left ourselves. Doing the math, we wouldn't eat for hours. Like I said, we LOVE Otani's, but this was very disappointing. It's our Christmas Eve dinner as well as our daughter's birthday. We left and went to Safron for some GREAT Indian food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!nateDined on 11/2/2013The wife and I frequent Otani about once a month to enjoy the great sushi bar, bar for her birthday we decided to step it up and hit up the hibachi table. We had a group of 15 and were easily accomodated in a semi private setting with only two other grills. It was a little noisy on this saturday night because of the three other birthday parties, but not and issue in my book. Drink selection is vast and tastey. Now to the good part, the food. You would expect at a hibachi grill the food to be good, but some local spots tend to disappoint. Otani is easily one of the better spots. Chef came out in good time and immediately started dazzling our guests as he quickly cooked our meals. Great all around experience!Special Features:
- BirthdayBirthdayDined on 9/28/2013It was a good experience. Excellent showmanship from the chief. Just wish there were a more intimate setting to be had for a couple.Special Features:
- Deliciousdindin13Dined on 9/14/2013We went to Otani's for a birthday celebration on a Sat. night, we made a reservation on open table. When we arrived it was very busy and only a few reservations were on the book. We were seated within a few minutes, and the service was really good considering that they were full.I did go to the bar to order drinks during the middle of the meal, the waitress was apologetic and she returned with our order. The food was good, The chef did a little entertaining, and made sure we were satisfied with our meal. We usually only go to Otani's for a special occasion, as it's a bit expensive. I feel that could update the decor and lose the TV's in the dining area. We really like this restaurant, and we'll go back on another occasion.Special Features:
- Thoroughly Enjoyed Myself!MnfiveDined on 8/18/2013We had a great time and chef at Otani. Our chef was energetic and entertaining and our waitress was very friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be going back. My son asked immediately after our dinner if we could return for his birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was very slow andnotimpressedDined on 8/15/2013Service was very slow and we waited a long time for our meal to be prepared. We had to ask for drink refills. The chef was ok but nothing special. We will NOT be back. There are way too many restaurants of this type in town to settle for this place.
- Great for children 5 and upmari76Dined on 8/12/2013We had a fantastic time at Otani; especially my 5 year old son, who was amazed by the chef's skills with fire! Loved it and wants to go back every weekend...unfortunately we don't live nearby the Virginia Beach location. If we find one in NYC we will go for sure. The food was really nice, well seasoned and well cooked. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The chef was nice but thedisappointedDined on 8/10/2013The chef was nice but the food was not good. The food was not up Par. I would not reccomend this place to anyone.
- Felt RUSHED to turn tableDDVBDined on 8/3/2013We had a group of 8 for a Birthday celebration. During the entire time we felt rushed and that the only goal was to turn the table. We sat down and got our drinks and placed our order. We quickly were served soup and within 2 minures were served our salad, then within 2 minutes the chef was at the table. We all had full bowls of soup and had not even had a chance to touch our salads. The chef was good and entertained the 2 children in our group. Half way thru eating our dinner the waitress comes back with TO GO Boxes as well as the bill. We told her we were not finished eating dinner. Very dissapointed, especially since this is an expensive restaurant . We will not go back.Special Features:
- Awesome as always!LocalguyDined on 8/2/2013Not our first time at Otanis, I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNavajoDined on 8/1/2013We were so happy that we picked Otani. Locals recommended it as quality Virginia Beach dining option, and they were right. We loved everything about it. Our children enjoyed it. The food was quality. We've been to other hibachis, and this one was as good as any.Special Features: