Otani Japanese Restaurant
5900 Roche Drive
Columbus, OH 43229Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Otani Japanese Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.otanisushi.com/
- Phone: 6144313333
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00 Pm - 10:00 Pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00 Pm - 11:30 Pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 Pm - 1:00 Am, Sunday: 5:00 Pm - 9:00 Pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kazushige Honda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: karaoke system & Big TV in rooms
- Private Party Contact: Honda 6144313333
- Entertainment: karaoke
A word from Otani Japanese Restaurant
Otani is a Japanese restaurant & sushi Bar with karaoke and is located in Columbus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Otani Japanese Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- quite the turnaroundarrukusDined on 10/31/2013Otani had come a long way from its dark past. we recently had dinner and experienced some of the much needed new menu items and meet the new owner Rick (soon of the old owner Chef Honda). The place badly needed an injection of fresh blood, but it's that in which it received! New servers are also there for the uptick in business. If you were disappointed with Otani in the past,I heavily recommend coming back and giving it another shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow but TastyCoffeyCupDined on 10/31/2013I had dinner with a friend at Otani's on Thursday (Halloween) evening after work. We got there early; it was only 5:30pm. As usual the food was delicious. Our server was fairly new and friendly but it took us just over two hours to get our meal and to eat. We didn't order a lot of food or anything complicated; just 5 sushi rolls between the two of us. I will stress that the food was excellent, but there weren't many people in the restaurant at such an early hour and it really felt like to it took too long. It will not stop me from going back because I love Otani's and I want to see it remain a Columbus landmark but it would be great if the service could be a little bit speedier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wonderful treat!ssixxDined on 10/4/2013I had purchased a Living Social deal for Otani to slip into my husband's birthday card 3 months ago. We had gone years ago to see a friend who was playing in a jazz trio there one night and I remembered we had a nice time there even though it was in our pre-sushi eating days. We finally got around to using the 'deal' and got the Buckeye Love Boat. No thinking involved, we just relaxed and let our server Bow bring us each course. It was a delightful evening and 'deal' or no, I don't think we will be waiting years before our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinerFirstvisitVIPDined on 9/26/2013I had heard this was one of the first places to serve sushi in Columbus so I had to try it out. I found it to have some of the best and most creative menus I had seen. The quality of the sushi was great and the staff was very knowledgeable. Sushi is definitely something you want to enjoy from an experienced chef and for that Otani gets high marks. Service was a little slow because they were busy but I decided that was much better than having a sushi meal rushed to the table. I will be back!Special Features:
- DisappointedSushiFanDined on 9/25/2013My husband and I went to Otani because we heard they were in trouble. We hated (and still hate) the idea of them going out of business, but after this week, we likely won't be back. Otani used to be our go-to restaurant, but it was always very loud in there and the food quality had started to slip. We found places we liked better like Sushiko. Our visit this week reinforced all the reasons we'd stopped going. It took us an hour to get any food. Some of the food was good, but they burned the salmon skin in the rolls. They had open-mike comedy -- although we sat away from the stage, it was so loud we had a hard time hearing each other. And the people doing the open mike were terrible. Otani can't control who participates, but meh.Special Features:
- KaraokeBrettDined on 9/23/2013Otani is a hidden gem and the staff are great. Karaoke there is a blast as well. Sushi is really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, no frillsOpenMindedOpenTableDined on 8/23/2013While the inside of the restaurant is decorated nicely, the building it's in looks pretty dingy and the area is not the nicest. However the food is worth it. The prices aren't too high and the quality is excellent. Very fresh and prepared well. Our server was nice. Didn't overstay her welcome, gave us time to chat. I would go back. There was karayoke as well, but we did not participate. It did get louder when it started. Not probably good if you wanted a quiet romantic dinner after 9:00. But we weren't there to be romantic. Great for a girls night out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in ColumbusThirtygVIPDined on 7/23/2013Some of the best food all around in Columbus. and $2 hot Sake with other daily specials.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in ColumbusThirtygVIPDined on 7/16/2013Otani's has the best sushi in Columbus and has been doing it right longer than anyone in Columbus. This is the restaurant that brought Japanese food to Columbus and has a great history in the centrel ohio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sushi, slooow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2013Though we visited on July 4th, the restaurant was open for business. Very light crowd, but it seemed only one person was available to wait tables. The sushi was excellent. Very fresh and prepared properly. Cannot possibly complain about the food, but the service was very, very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Sushi and KaraokeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013Love the energy in this place. It's great for Friday and Saturday nights. Good for date night or a night out with friends.Special Features:
- Worse Service and Experience EverZuberi08Dined on 5/25/2013The waiter was new to the U.S. he could not understand us messed up the food and check. He should have had someone helping him out until his English is up to speed and he has the hang of the job. There was obviously no training. Also, the restaurant seems as if it is under new management it was overall an ok-poor experience and am very dissatisfied versus all of my other visits here. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Columbus but if this is the "New Otani".may have to find another favorite spot. :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we were seated in a boothcraveforgoodsushiDined on 5/11/2013we were seated in a booth next to their karaoke room with incompetent singers, wouldn't recommend for people who prefer to dine in a quiet location.Special Features:
- Only thing I didn't care forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Only thing I didn't care for with our dinner was the soup. Very fishy; they do use a fish based broth. Service was fantastic with a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013Great restaurant, food, service, atmosphere and karaoke.Special Features:
- Fantastic Atmosphere... Okay Sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Atmosphere was amazing if you want to have fun with a group of friends. Most of the food was excellent however some of the Sushi wasn't the best. Overall it was a great place to eat and hangout though. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone I know.Special Features:
- Love the bartender. She knowsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Love the bartender. She knows every drink you can imagine, and always is friendly. The waitstaff is friendly.Special Features:
- Great food, service!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Otani's was wonderful as usual!! Some times, in the past, a little slow on service but this occasion we were served very quickly and waitress was very attentive! Will DEF Go back!!Special Features:
- Decent Groupon experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2013We went on a Monday night using a Groupon. We were the 3rd table there at the start of dinner time. Not a big crowd, but service was alright, not fast, not slow. Food quality was decent, worth it using the Groupon. There are specific rolls offered during Happy House (ask server for specifics), but normally they are priced decently ($4-7 each roll).Special Features:
- Great sushi, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013Sushi was great and so was the bartender. My only complaint is the service was SLOW. We waited almost an hour for 4 sushi rolls. The bartender was kind enough to offer us a free round of drinks for the inconvienence. She, however, was not our waitress.Special Features:
- 6 year anniversary dinner or lackofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012Took the woman here for our 6 year anniversary, bad call. Got there no service at all on new years but before their party started. They werent busy at all. 10 min after we got there a large party of 10 or so showed up and got service instantly, i couldnt even get a drink. Another 20 min later still hadnt seen a soul to my table yet the group next to us had drinks and had ordered keep in mind i got here 10 min prior. So i asked for a server n was told they would be right over, never came. I ended up walking out and since it was new years everything was fully booked up. We ended up having taco bell for our anniversary dinner. Oh and my favorite part. i noted it was our 6 year anniversary with the reservation they knew before handSpecial Features:
- We have been here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2012We have been here many times and always leave happy......until this visit. There was hardly anyone in there on Saturday and the wait time was just too long. Food was still great. We would have ordered more good but we didn't want to wait anymore.Special Features:
- Worst service experience everOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012We had a terrible experience. We arrived on time for our reservations (for 10 people). A large party arrived shortly after us. None of the wait staff came to our table to take our orders in an hour of time. A couple of people in our party went to the bar to order drinks since no wait staff came to our table in the first 20 minutes. They were told by the bartender (who said he was also the manager) that he would send someone to our table. We waited another 40 minutes (total of an hour), and no one ever stopped at our table. Multiple wait staff walked by our table to go to the large party, but didn't help us at all. When one of the waitresses was asked if she could help, she said no and that she would tell our waitress (never came).
- Not for children!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012Our table was fine, however, we had a screaming kid next to us. I think if people are taking their child to a nice restaurant, they should behave or put families with small children in a separate area of the restaurant.Special Features:
- While we weren't sure aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012While we weren't sure about this restaurant as it's curb appeal is limited... the food was outstanding! They are creative and eager to try new things for the menu/daily specials and we enjoyed it very much! The staff was very kind and the manager was very personable to ask what we liked and didn't like! We will return for more sushi!Special Features:
- We shared the Buckeye boatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2012We shared the Buckeye boat for two, sushi was very fresh and nice selection, no fillers like the egg or octopus no one cares for anyway. Very accommodating and helpful. We almost shared an appetizer but glad we didn't due to all the food included.Special Features:
- Food good as usual. Sake becameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Food good as usual. Sake became cool quickly. Unfortunately a group of eight were seated in a small conference room removed from any fun karaoke might provide. Very disappointed as other seating options seamed to be available.Special Features:
- Sushi rolls are average qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Sushi rolls are average quality and wait staff is generally busy and slow, but its always a great time! We go on the weekends for karaoke and drinks with friends. And my 7yr old daughter loves the kids menu and the ambiance during the week. Just go with a patient attitude and good friends and it'll become your new favorite spot too! ;-)Special Features:
- Great food, Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2012Great food, Great service. Overall a 5 star experience!!! Would highly recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- The sushi was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2012The sushi was excellent and drinks were good too, I appreciated the happy hour specials.Special Features:
- Worst Sushi in Columbus OhioOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/7/2012It was the single worst sushi experience in memory. The quality was at the level of Giant Eagle or Kroger's. The service was abysmal. had to ask for sushi menu; reask for sushi menu; ask to order; then waited over 45 minutes for the order. When order arrived, theyd replaced real crab with fake Krab, and asked whether we minded?!?!?! Meanwhile, had to listen to wailing moaning karaoke shrieks. With Akai Hana on Kenny Rd. there is NO REASON FOR ANYONE EVER TO GO TO OTANI.
- Bad food, Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012I love Japanese food; however, Otani's gave my husband and me the worst dining experience we had ever had. The hot tea was watered down. The soft-shell crab was more batter than crab. The sushi was average. The service was slow or non-existent. It took 20 minutes to get our drinks then another hour before we got our food. The waitress either didn't put in our order or the "lost" it.
- Otani is great. Its definitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2012Otani is great. Its definitely known for its karaoke and Chef Honda's great cuisine. Sushi is well priced. The sesame chicken was a nice surprise as it was not fried And the sauce was amazing.Special Features:
- Some food undercooked, mysteryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2011Some food undercooked, mystery fish in a soup entree that did not include any seafood on the menu description.Special Features:
- the Sake (smoked) was exceptionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/17/2011the Sake (smoked) was exceptionally tasty. Great smoke aromas & flavor. Not sure what was done differently, but,keep that recipe!The only down side to our visit was a really loud party closeby. Considering the time of year, we'll overlook it.Special Features:
- This is a great place forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2011This is a great place for groups and the DJ was a blast. He had fun with the crowd and definitely set a fun tone for the night. I love this place! Thanks Otanis for making my best friends birthday memorable!Special Features:
- Had reservations for 7:15,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2011Had reservations for 7:15, got seated right away. However, the waitress took FOREVER to take our orders. It's understandable that sushi takes time to make, but two hours later, we were still waiting for our entrees. Though the food is excellent, there are plenty of other fantastic Sushi restaurants in Columbus to go to this place.
- got a call less than two hoursOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2011got a call less than two hours before my reservation, manager said that they were closed for the day due to "no water" in the restaurant. said "tomorrow will be ok, but today we are closed", its just too bad my birthday couldn't be rescheduled. on a positive note, we have been there many times before and food and service were always great. I just did not appreciate having to scramble to make other plans and coordinate a group of people on such a short notice.Special Features:
- Honda-san took great careOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/10/2011Honda-san took great care of us, and the omakase was delicious! Domo arigato.
- Decent sushi, drinks are a rip-offOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2011This place is always fun for karaoke, and the sushi is good. However, the service is mediocre at best. The only truly great server we ever had was Brii, and unfortunately, she's no longer there. Expect long waits between server visits to your table, and even longer waits for drinks from the bar. I'd also recommend getting your alcohol in a bottle or straight-up, as they have a tendency to significantly under-pour on their mixed drinks. On our last visit, I drank 7 of their Tokyo Iced Teas. Not that my goal was to get trashed, but I'm not a regular drinker - I should not be able to drink 7 of *anything* and still be upright. I felt like I'd had my usual 2 drinks, not 7. At $6 each, I'd expected a little more bang for my buck.Special Features: