1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
267 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (192)special occasion (178)romantic (96)notable wine list (95)hot spot (73)good for groups (49)neighborhood gem (37)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Lots of funOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/2014Great food. Informative and attentive service. Went here for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Good seafood restaurantElsie13Dined on 10/20/2014Food was good, it was very busy for a Monday night. Would recommend the raw plates which were delicious. This place let itself down with welcoming staff, who we felt weren't great. We were told we were five minutes early so they would have to see if our table was available and rather than say take a drink at the bar or keep us updated, we stood by the door, whilst the ladies sashayed past us with no update as to how long we would have to wait. So this kind of spoilt it for us. All I can say is the kitchen is great, but front of house needs to be better.Special Features:
- Spectacular seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/19/2014This is a sophisticated restaurant for grown ups. The seafood is pristine and simply prepared. Service is highly professional but not starchy. Prices are high but it's not a rip off.Special Features:
- Beautiful Nautical Photography!AnnArborDined on 10/18/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. I would state that they got us in 30 min behind our reservation, but we enjoyed ourselves in the hip lounge area and bar! Server was amazing, food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- met/EXCEEDED expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014It's not often that a restaurant exceeds expectations created by marketing. This one does. Food is great-from the gnochetti and tuna tartar apps to the branzino, skate, salmon entrees to the desserts-everything great. Wish we lived in Boston to go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!!MamacincoDined on 10/17/2014I absolutely loved Ostra! The food was outstanding, the waiter was knowledgeable and took the time to explain the menu in detail and made great recommendations. Everything from the sea bass tartare to the warm chocolate cake….my mouth is watering while I write this!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before OperaMikiVIPDined on 10/17/2014Wonderful service, amazing food, highly recommend this restaurant to anyone. We had 7:30 pm show, arrived at 5:30 pm, the wait staff was very aware of our timing to leave and brought our food in timely matter. At the same time we did not feel we were rushed. His recommendation on food was excellent. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lacking for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/16/2014For a meal costing almost $100 per person with only one glass of wine the service was below expectations. The server should have had a better knowledge of the menu and what was available. Two of the entrees arrived several minutes later than the other two. The server had to be called to the table several times when we needed something. Most of the dishes were delicious - my halibut, recommended by the waiter, was fairly bland though the accompaniments were delicious.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014Excellent experience as always. The ambiance lovely and the food outstanding.Special Features:
- Stylish and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014A truly remarkable space- graphic, elegant, sophisticated- and the food is arguably the best seafood to be found in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice in theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014We had a 7:30PM show at the Schubert Theater and wanted to enjoy a pleasant dinner beforehand - Ostra did not disappoint. The relatively new restaurant, that took over the location of Avila, offered efficient service, great food and a pleasant ambiance. The restaurant specializes in seafood. Will be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough NightchunkyDined on 10/14/2014The bar was top notch. From there on, the night declined. From inattention to seating to reverberating acoustics, to waiters who had to be pointed to the menu, the evening lost all its momentum. Undeniable Kudo: the food was top notch. We just should have stayed at the bar.Special Features:
- very good mealstevegVIPDined on 10/14/2014The service and food were top shelf at this well run restaurant. Despite being very crowded, we were served in a timely manner. Food ranged from very good to excellent.The prices will prevent us from coming here frequently but it is certainly worth considering for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- very good for 70th birthday!!urslorDined on 10/12/2014loved the lobster special dinner and mixed well with monopole champagne! Our service was outstanding Kudos to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPattyScottDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went to Ostra when we were in Boston for our 10 year anniversary and we were not dissapointed! The food and atmosphere was wonderful. I had the Halibut and my husband had the Salmon. Both were incredible and I don't typically like salmon. Definitely a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!StavieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Order with confidence! Everything is outstanding!!!Special Features:
- A treatzookprDined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious, interesting and nicely presented. The waitstaff was professional and efficient without being stuffy. The decor of the restaurant was comfortable, but edgy and a delight for the eyes. I am looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is AMAZING!!!JohnZVIPDined on 10/10/2014Being from NYC we were impressed how amazing the food is here!!!! This is a winner, if you are a foodie, this is your place.Special Features:
- Standout DinnerLDLDVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went to Ostra for the first time and it managed to surpass my already high expectations. We had delicious oysters, a yummy kale salad, and the salt crusted branzino. Everything was perfection, but the branzino was by far the highlight- truly one of the best things I have ever eaten. Simple, perfectly executed, and beautiful.Special Features:
- Dinner with friends from the UKMerlincrystDined on 10/9/2014I picked this place based on open table and tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. It has a very modern style to it and a very energetic vibe. We had a reservation but it did take about 30 mins to get seated so we had drinks at the bar. Once seated the attention and service were excellent. The menu is very appealing and all the dishes we had were first class. We only tired seafood but I would imagine the meat is excellent too. It is not a quiet restaurant but our table was small enough to allow us not to shout, but a larger group might struggle with conversations. The high ceilings just make the acoustics challenging.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/9/2014The food and the service were very good. Loved the sea bass tartare appetizer. The halibut and the salmon were slightly on the dryer side, but very nonethelesss. Was a bit surprised to see meat dishes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014Friendly helpful staff, great food and wine. The tuna tartare is outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMjgbostonVIPDined on 10/5/2014Paella, Branzino cooked in a salt crust were well prepared. The fish was moist and lemony studded with fresh herbs. Can't wait to have it again. Service was excellent. Soaring space!! Wine list is very pricey. Mt martini was $17. Pretty expensive for a Monday night dinner but very good.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience I have hadOldNumber77Dined on 10/4/2014Ostra is one of those places that you likely reserve for a special occasion, or a once in a great while occasion. If you are going to go and have wine, an appetizer, a first course and an entre, you are going to spend well over $200, very probable to go into the $300 range. Having said that, the place is wonderful! Seating is a little close together but done so in such a way that it's not too intrusive. And it's fun to see what everyone else orders. The food was amazing. From the Sea Bass Tartare to the Lobster Bisque to the oysters to the salt crusted branzino for 2 to the desserts to the after dinner drink. The wait staff was very attentive. Osta is not just going out ot eat, it is a dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but too loudHealthyEaterDined on 10/4/2014The service was excellent. Our waiter, Steven, answered our questions and was very sensitive to some dietary issues my dining partner had. We got the salt crusted fish and it was excellent (although it had too much lemon juice on it). Side vegetables (and the greens we ordered) were great as well. We had a nice table by the window, but would not have been happy with many of the tables in this really large and loud restaurant. The decor is stunning, but the restaurant would be more appealing if it were broken up a bit. Good selection of wines. Dessert was so-so. Good coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not that greatSuzanneDined on 10/4/2014Food was good. They rushed our meal, they tried to sit us at a table on the side of a pole. atmosphere very cold and sterile. The meal was costly to say we only had an entrée and 1 glass of wine. It was so loud that we could not hear each other talk across the table and this was at 6:30PM. This was not fine dining. NOT romantic. The noise level was that of a childs birthday party in a small room. POOR POOR
- Trendy placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Food was very good and so was the service but they the restaurant overdoes it trying to create ambience and impression of coolness. kind of expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at its bestMjkavDined on 10/1/2014So impressed with our 1st night, we made reservations for a 2nd night. Fine dining experience for sure. Exceptional staff and fantastic menu delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014A beautiful restaurant. As soon as you step inside, you know you are going to have great time. The service was efficient and friendly without being overbearing. The menu and wine selection was extensive. The food was exquisite - the best oysters I have tasted and I lived in Sydney, Australia for a long time! If only I lived in Boston....Special Features:
- Wonderful!CbediliaDined on 10/1/2014The manager and every single member of the staff offer the ultimate service! Food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDrewDined on 9/28/2014Great restaurant with outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds all expectations!TravellerDined on 9/28/2014Recommended by concierge at Mandarin Oriental. Food was consistently excellent and surprising. Distinctive flavors that went well together. Service was attentive and friendly without being cloying or artificial. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Interesting FoodYummy2VIPDined on 9/28/2014Very creative kitchen. Interesting choices and beautifully prepared. Bit it is very pricey . The restaurant is large and has a casual feel so the prices seem almost out of sort. Also there was a lot of precious decoration on the food most of which was inedible but very attractive for the presentation of the dish. The Bronzino was excellent as was the burrata cheese app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food,beautiful restaurantPecavoVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. Beautiful space, well decorated, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not great.JohnRVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nice place, food was good, not great. Was also way too warm in there, made for a very uncomfortable dining experience.
- best tartar evertartarDined on 9/27/2014My wife said its the best meal she has ever had. Thanks for making our anniversary memorable! A classy place without the arrogance of a steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new additionpeacetoallVIPDined on 9/26/2014Excellent all around. Delicious food, good service and a very nice atmosphere. Highlights were the all the raw fish appetizers (great selection), Ricotta Gnocchetti, grilled bronzino and the best paella ever.Special Features:
- Nothing short of spectacular...brian6uVIPDined on 9/26/2014An incredible restaurant...one of the best I have ever experienced in Boston. Pricey, to be sure, but incredible. The great weakness: Desserts did not meet the same level of excellence as the meal. Skip the dessert and leave satiated.Special Features:
- Great Fish !ThomasVIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was outstanding , Mike was a knowledgeable professional re menu and wines . Oysters were terrific , followed by salmon tartar and salt encrusted branzini - vegetable selection with entree was also good . My wife ordered a steak since she is not a big seafood fan and enjoyed it . Will definitely return -- already like Mistral and Sorrelina so we are adding this one to the list !Special Features:
- GreatLuckyDined on 9/23/2014Very great menu and amazing wine list. And great waiters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.