1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: 6174211200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (165)fit for foodies (159)romantic (108)notable wine list (78)hot spot (65)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (35)late-night find (13)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Best foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I had the best seafood ever the Spanish grilled octopus was amazing and for dinner I had the PaellaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not blown awayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Decent food. Oysters were fantastic. Hamachi tartare was quite nice. Great balance of flavor. Just enough heat from the jalapeño oil. Octopus first course was very tender. I had the branzino for my entree. Cooked just right. My wife had the halibut. It was definitely overcooked. OK flavor but the fish was too dry. Shared the blueberry tart with cream corn ice cream. We felt it wasn't sweet enough. Made me want to order the chocolate tart but just ended with an espresso.Special Features:
- fabulous fishexperienceddinerDined on 8/26/2014Very pleased to try Ostra, relatively new in our area. Happening scene, clever decor and great food well served. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014My wife and I can't wait to go back - the drinks at the bar are inventive, unique and top-shelf. Every dish we had was spectacular - from the grilled Spanish octopus and tuna tartare to the Branzino, which was flawless, to the desserts. My wife had the rice brûlée and I was worried that her reaction was bordering 'When Harry Met Sally'. It was just that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/24/2014appetizers wete inventive and delicious. We had the octopus and the gnocci. Salmon was excellent. Branzino filet, fresh but not flavorful. Sea bream very good. Salt encrusted branzino would have been ordered if not for the 40min listed order time. Service was late to start. Several empty tables but they told us there was a 10 min wait. Dessrts wete off, not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDStarmVIPDined on 8/23/2014This a gem of a restaurant. Best seafood I've had in Boston. Impeccable service, stellar wine list, and perfect food.Special Features:
- Absolutely first rateLocalmanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Perfect experience - pricey but worth it. All 4 of us had a great meal, service was perfect (efficient and friendly without needing to become friends). Highlights were monkfish and paella. Portions in general were not large, but if you're hungry, get the paella; more than enough food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Excellent meal - the branzino was the best ever! Oysters and fish were so fresh! Very accommodating for a party of 6Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great PlaceAmyNUCVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was amazing, great wine selection also. Very fun vibrant scene Wonderful seafoodSpecial Features:
- Excellent foodHemulVIPDined on 8/19/2014We had been to Ostra several times and had good meals in the past, but last week, we had a spectacular meal there. Both of our appetizers and main dishes were outstanding. The fish was perfectly cooked and the flavors were simple but spot on. The sides were fresh and seasonal. We highly recommend it, despite it being somewhat pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceUhav2goDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I had an outstanding meal. Everything was prepared perfectly. Our server Christopher was exceptional. He was extremely knowledgeable, very attentive yet not intrusive. This made the evening and dinner even more memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectmikeVIPDined on 8/17/2014A very nice evening, with outstanding service and interesting dishes. Definitely for fish lovers and if you are interested in preparations a bit different than standard fish fare in boston, this is a good find. Strangely all our dishes were excellent with one exception which was a very overcooked and frankly a killed Paella. If it was my choice so my guests didn't know,or I would have returned it. I have had this dish in the past and it was quite good, so no idea what happened. Other than that an excellent evening. Not cheap but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014We picked Ostra by chance and we hit the jackpot. From start to finish our experience was great. We were greeted and made to feel welcome. I ordered a Sidecar and it was one of the two best I have ever had. All our food was amazing and we enjoyed everything from start to finish. If you are in Boston this should be on your list if you are looking for great restaurants.Special Features:
- Fantastic all aroundWellfedDined on 8/15/2014A friend and I recently dined at Ostra. The food was amazing. We had fried oysters for an appetizer that just melted in our mouths. Then I had the halibut, which was perfectly cooked and came with the sweetest little clams I have ever had. My friend had the paella which was also amazing we finished with the flour less chocolate cake, one of my fav desserts and Ostra's was the best I have ever had. The waiter and staff were excellent. My only complaint, and it's not really a complaint, is that when the place fills up it can be quite noisy. Fortunately, our reservation was at 7 and the place did not fill up until 8 so we had an hour of relative quiet. The wine list is awesome. Try the Spanish sparkling rose!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ilikegoodfoodDined on 8/15/2014It was my first time at Ostra and it was fantastic. Ambience is modern and trendy and the food is outstanding. If that's what you are looking for you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining indeedGitushonDined on 8/14/2014The beautiful restaurant and the outstanding service have made our date night very special and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but overpricedcodypepperVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was very good. The service was spot on. The restaurant itself was quite beautiful. But in my opinion, everything was way overpriced. That was especially noticeable in the dessert course. They charge you roughly 40% more but give you about 50% less. Not a good way to end a meal for this sweet-toothed diner! The best "dish" of the night was the free bread at the beginning. Now that was truly delicious. Everything else, eh. Nothing particularly craveable at those prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014Tartars and carpaccios were outstanding as were the other starters. Mains were good but less inspired.Special Features:
- Ostra Knows Their Business!ChicagoGirlDined on 8/11/2014Our experience all around was perfect! Christopher was fantastic - impeccable service and personality to boot. The food was equally as good as the service. It was familiar fare yet tweaked to the disconcerting foodie tastes. I've eaten in the best restaurants in the country and this place belongs in that category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPJK20VIPDined on 8/9/2014Ostra was terrific. The ambience was modern, fun and elegant. The food was terrific. Service could not have been better. Highly recommend. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fantastic seafood, great service!LocalCoupleDined on 8/8/2014This is a special dining experience! The seafood was absolutely delicious, the dessert was incredible and the service was friendly, personable and prompt. We would highly recommend this great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!HoneybeeDined on 8/8/2014All around amazing! Incredible food with a beautiful presentation. The waiters are flawless with their etiquette and everything was timed well. The decor is beautiful and unique. A very special place. It's a rare thing nowadays when you can go somewhere and be dazzled by your experience. Most often, the food and atmosphere is a letdown. This place, however, left me smiling at every turn. I cannot think of a single thing I did not love about it. If you are looking for a place to have a business meeting, romantics evening or celebrate a special occasion then you want to go to Ostra. I am so happy to have found this place. To anyone who is looking for an experience like no other, then you'll want to dine there. Thank you, Ostra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a typical Boston seafood rest.Av8orDined on 8/7/2014Beautifully decorated and great feel in this contemporary Restaraunt. No typical New England seafood here such as; scallops, Cod, Lobster etc. instead, the menu consists of Halibut, Fluke, Bronzino etc. Artfully prepared, the dishes have great flavor but will leave you wanting more as the portion sizes are small and the price is fairly high. Nice for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey, esp the winesJohnDined on 8/3/2014The food was wonderful, neither the calamari or octopus was overcooked. The food is on the expensive side, but the wine list was at least 20% higher than it should have been. One just has to soft through the list to find value, but NZ sauvignon blanc for $60?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LobsterSusankDined on 8/2/2014The lobster dish is fabulous! No bib needed for this one. My husband had the branzino which also was terrific. I do not think you can go wrong with any dish here, service attentive. I cannot say enough. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Outstanding in all phasesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014This was hands down one of the best dinners we have ever had. Every detail was thought out, every dish was cooked and seasoned perfectly, and the service was magnificent without feeling pretentious. The one surprise was there were a number of children there, and they were comfortable and treated with respect. That is hard to do when the expectation is so high. They did it well and I praise them for that. We will be back. We recommend the tuna carpacio, gnochetti with lobster and truffle (amazing) and of course the whole salt crusted branzino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fish in Boston, hands downOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014Grilled branzino, AMAZING. Everyone's fish came out perfectly cooked and at the same time, and it was a group of 7. Apps were also fantastic. The Blue fish tartare with truffle was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OstraOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014The food was outstanding! The grilled octopus was perfect! The service was great! My only complaint was that the air conditioning was too strong and it was too cold!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Boston Seafood with stylerdegoliaVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was a terrific dinner. I and a colleague split the Branzino for two. Absolutely remarkable. It takes 40 min, which worried me for a who baked fish, but it was light, moist and absolutely remarkable. The grilled octopus app was a good amount of octopus (usually it isn't enough), but it had slightly too much olive oil, so I'd put it down one notch as just very good. The warm chocolate cake dessert went back up to compete with the best that I've had in this category. Overall, it was a terrific dinner.Special Features:
- Wine listAcquaDined on 7/27/2014List is okay, not great and the prices are very high.Special Features:
- Special Evening at OstraTerriwth4VIPDined on 7/26/2014When we first arrived we noticed the beautiful dining room. We were especially taken by the photography by Pail Roscoe....stunning ! This was matched equally by our delicious food and warm attentive service by Chris. The food is incredibly fresh and perfectly prepared . Thanks for a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!CLDBDined on 7/25/2014We have been to many fine restaurants in Boston and this is 5 star! The food and service is outstanding. The waiter was personable and checked in with us after each course. The evening was topped off with listening to the incredible piano performance by Misha in the bar area and a surprise dessert in celebration of our anniversary. Over the top! We will be back!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Had a dinner here on my birthday - was very happy! Food, wine, service - all great, we had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good - not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/24/2014it was ok - just not great. Room was very loud and waiter was inexperienced. Food was good but better options available for the price.
- A great discoveryMartaVIPDined on 7/22/2014This was the first time we visited Ostra and we will definitely be back! The food was excellent, the service very friendly and fast, and the restaurant ambience very pleasant. The only minor complaint I have is that, even though we were a party of three, we sat in a small table more appropriate for a party of two. The restaurant was full, so I imagine that was the only table they had available, but it was a bit crowded once they brought the bread and wine. However, the rest of the experience was so good that the problem with the table size was quickly forgotten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JacksonVIPDined on 7/21/20142nd time there, the food is stunning and the service is perfect, attentive without being intrusive. Noise level in the dining area is high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every piece of it was spectacularLichiDined on 7/20/2014This is what fine dinning looks like. Yes, prices are high, but its worth every penny. Our waiter was probably one of the kindest and most professional waiter I've ever delved with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner!EnchantingDined on 7/20/2014This was really just a charming restaurant.Kind of a contemporary feel. Our waitress Margaret was very nice and attentive. We started with the Sea Bass Tartare- it was a small plate and tasty, but nothing really special. We also ordered the Ricotta Gnocchetti which was just divine! Great dish for a cold night. They plated our appetizers so that they could be shared for two people which I really appreciated. My date and I shared the Salt Crusted Branzino. What a flavorful and moist dish. I am not the biggest fan of seafood, but this was just wonderful. Fresh tasting and beautifully plated.For dessert I orderd the Tahitian rice brulee. I was not the biggest fan of this. A lot of flavors and different textures to it that just did not suit me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantAaa777Dined on 7/20/2014First visit to the place. Proximity to the hotel as well as very favorable reviews prompted the reservation. Overall, outstanding dining experience. Great ambiance. Place was quiet despite being occupied @ 70-80% on a Sunday evening. Food was simply great. Very fresh seafood. Tuna carpaccio, hamachi, oysters were all very fresh and well prepared. Sea bream was very well executed, with just enough of sides to complement it. Just a right amount of food on the plate. Blueberry tart with corn ice cream and especially trio of sorbets were pure fun on a palate. Very successful flavor combos on sorbets. Excellent restaurant. Well worth a visit. Will be back.Special Features: