1 Charles St. South
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://ostraboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 421-1200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm-9:30pm
Bar/Lounge: Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm-11:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm-12:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm-10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Mitchell Randall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
A word from Ostra
A Contemporary Mediterranean Restaurant featuring both innovative & classic preparations of the finest seafood available globally. The dining room at Ostra evokes a sense of style and sophistication in a comfortable and inviting setting. Ostra also offers a fine bar and lounge area featuring live piano entertainment. Ostra's private dining room accommodates up to 42 seated and 70 for a cocktail reception.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Ostra - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Ostra reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (226)special occasion (204)notable wine list (110)romantic (109)hot spot (98)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (45)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2014Absolutely outstanding service and fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJonmetsoxDined on 11/19/2014I've been going out to nice dinners on special occasions my entire life however that was by far the best meal I have ever had. The restaurant was flawless in every sense of the word. The service was fantastic, the food was absolutely delicious, and the ambience was very high class. Easily the best seafood restaurant in Boston if not the northeast. I will definitely be going there again. The fried calamari, the paella, the oysters, even the bread, was simply the best I've ever had without a doubt. I can guarantee if you take someone there for their birthday like I did, you made a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014Very loud!!!! We had to yell l to one another to hear each other. Food was overcooked, (but smelled good)Special Features:
- barbVIPDined on 11/17/2014My cornish hen was DRY; the escargot risotto had plenty of escargot but just a thin layer of risotto coating the bottom of the plate --- not satisfying at all and not really something you could share which the waiter said you could; the rice creme brûlée was delicious but the top wasn't crusty enough; the salmon was fine…….and the only thing that was truly a sharable portion were the fries - but they weren't crispy enough! Too expensive and not satisfying
- Be prepared to waitVMurphyDined on 11/15/2014Husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. Our reservation was for 9:30 on a Saturday night. We got there about an hour early knowing we'd be hanging out at the bar for a drink or two. Needless to say, the bar was also where we ended up ordering our dinner because 10pm acne around and they were still behind on reservations. Food was good, I got the Paella and hubby got the filet mignon. Service at the bar was great. Bar tenders were very friendly and accomadating. I would visit again but with an earlier reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This could be the BEST restaurant in the city.DinnerloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food, presentation and service were outstanding !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing but taken care of by our serverBostonbobbyDined on 11/14/2014So I booked Ostra hearing that it was on the same caliber as the highly reputable Mistral and unfortunately I was disappointed. I know that they advertise being a seafood restaurant but have a variety on their menu. I went with my boyfriend who can handle seafood apps but for his entree, he will typically always order his highly predictable Meat and potatoes. I had the expectation that for the price bracket there wouldn't be any room for disappointment. We started off with oysters which were a good local selection and the salmon tartare. They split our tartare so we had our own plate, which was fabulous with a nice smokey flavor. Their homemade focaccia bread was tasty and addicting. I ordered the sea bream and my boyfriend ordered the sirloin. Both were mediocre. I finished my meal but the seasonal veggies were the highlight to my meal. Unfortunately, I have to admit that my experience was deflated when my boyfriend was unable to finish his sirloin. He asked to have it taken back and I've never seen him to do that. The server was very apologetic and did remove it from the bill. Overall, I appreciated the service and that they removed the meal from the bill. However, we were not impressed that they were unable to produce a tasty steak according to the standards of a rumored high end restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant in Boston's Theater DistrictChemedDined on 11/14/2014My wife and I wanted to enjoy a night out in the town and chose Ostra for dinner. This place is a top notch restaurant for anyone wanting a meal before or after a show. The service is impeccable, and the food is very fresh and high quality. It is primarily a seafood restaurant, but both my wife and I had the sirloin and the ribeye steak, respectively. They were delicious. I did have a half dozen of the Mayflower oysters, and the assortment of sauces for them was great. If you choose a side, you need to enjoy the truffle-parmesan fries. You will not be dissapointed! We will definitely be back to Ostra. Thank you for an outstanding dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceACRVisitor2014Dined on 11/13/2014When you read all the recommendations available in different communities you are really impressed and convinced that this might be a good place to go with your customers. Finally it turned out just to be average, with all fish entrees completely overcooked and not as ordered. Dishes had been replaced without any further discussions, however the first impression was bad.Special Features:
- fabulous entrees but tiny sidestacogirlDined on 11/12/2014The fish was outstanding--simply and deliciously prepared, the fried oysters perfect, but the sides were microscopic. One of us got a small bowl of sides while others didn't, rather tiny garni to their fish. No bread. For these prices you could make these amenities part of the entrees.Special Features:
- Not perfect, but almostOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/12/2014Very good food, a stylish upscale vibe, very good service. One could easily be very happy dining here. If you're looking for a cozy, warm space around you, this isn't it. There is wonderful fresh fish, delicious pasta, amazing bread, and nice (but pricy) wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little pricey for what it isOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Fish was fresh and great but I was disappointed with the portion sizes, especially for the side. Dessert was great. Noise was overwhelming, not the best choice if you want to go for something romantic. Tables are too close.Special Features:
- Has good seafoodJackDined on 11/9/2014I booked this place the day before I had dinner there for 10 people and I thought I would not be able to find available seats for that many people but they actually organized it for me and I was very pleased and their service was great. The seafood was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty fishsuperbDined on 11/8/2014our server was phenomenal. very keen eyes - keeping his eyes on our every need yet not hovering at all! i would definitely go back there for the service alone!Special Features:
- Loud, crowded but great foodDinerDined on 11/7/2014Our paella was delectable, but one order was more than enough for two people. Salads were also good. Wine by the glass was exorbitant...Chardonnay at $22 and $23 a glass! Our table for two was crowded between two others with only about 14" between. A large party was right behind and the noise leave was very high. We couldn't hear the waiter. We ended up conversing with neighbor tables when we had hoped for a special evening out.Special Features:
- Off the ChartsVinnieVIPDined on 11/7/2014I travel coast to coast, Ostra may be one of the top 10 restuarants, from Boston to LASpecial Features:
- Branzino fanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014The salt crusted branzino was the best fish of my life. Well done. Nicely styled/presented and so simplistic and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service in a classic placeCalifornianDined on 11/6/2014Classical decor, nice bar, beautiful large black and white sea photos, clientele is upscale.The food was, really, excellent. I chose the petit scallops (after a nice 6 Pemaquid oyster platter, with a Sauvignon Blanc glass).My brother ordered the braised octopus, and my mom had the truffle-infused lobster gnochetti.The food was excellent, really, and the waiter was attentive but not over-solicitous, and very knowledgeable. We finished with beautifully prepared desserts (I had a rice brulée) and espressos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly good, but very overpricedmind2brainDined on 11/6/2014The starters and bread were good but the paella was filled with soggy, not crispy, rice and not much seafood for the inflated cost. The sides were skimpy and without much value. I would not recommend ahead of other seafood restaurants in Boston.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014Not as good as it should have been. Calamari were few and not particularly tasty. Fish baked in salt should have been stellar but it was not. The flavor of the fish was not there. Will not be going back.
- Food was disappointingCaterioVIPDined on 11/5/2014Some dishes were excellent others were problematic, paella at $48 was dry ... Excellent service, but Brazino was also overcookedSpecial Features:
- Loved it! Great addition to Boston!Diningout14VIPDined on 11/5/2014I was so impressed with my first experience at Ostra! Me and my husband sat at the bar and had great wine, sea bass tartare, grilled octopus, lobster gnocchetti and spaghetti + clams, and halibut! One dish was better than the next!! Can't wait to come back! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Energetic HappeningStocksoupDined on 11/1/2014This is the place where design meets great food. I was impressed by the menu and flavor profiles. It is not an outcast on the edge of the theater district, but the place to stop and have a meal. I was impressed by the staff helpfulness and the good preparation. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish nicely presentedfudgbugDined on 11/1/2014Service was excellent without being intrusive. The Oysters and our fish dinners were excellent in taste and presentation.
- Flattered to deceiveredchrisDined on 10/31/2014We went with high expectations as the restaurant had received top reviews. The Cocktail bar was very good with a live pianist. At our table we chose our meal and the starter arrived within 2 minutes. That felt a little rushed. The starters were great - a smoked salmon terrine. Then we had to wait too long for the main course, to the extent that we complained to the Maitre de. I chose a signature dish - a Valencia Paella. It looked great, lots of seafood - however the rice was far too salty and spoilt the whole effect. We received a weak apology from the Maitre de for the service, but no real acknowledgement of fault. Anywhere else I would have expected a drink on the house. Too arrogant! Not recommended on the basis of this performance.
- Great food & service - but noisyNuraDined on 10/30/2014We loved the food and the service was great but we could hardly have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- Excellent food; too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014We went for my wife's birthday on a weekday because of OpenTable's high rating. Food was excellent: Snow pea salad, fried oyster appetizer (perhaps the best I've ever had), Branzino for one, and a Sea Bass special. All were excellent, although I could have used a fish knife for the whole sea bass. Our server was very good: knowledgeable and friendly. The time between courses was a little long, but our major complaint is that the room was VERY noisy. We could hardly hear each other without shouting. Another complaint: price markup for wine (e.g. $105 for Merry Edwards Sauvingnon Blanc which I can usually buy for less than $40. It's doubtful that we will return unless significant soundproofing occurs. What a shame - excellent food!
- Just phenomenaljakthirdVIPDined on 10/29/2014My wife and I came there later one night and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was immaculately prepared - every oyster was shucked to perfection, every protein cooked to perfection and every dish was balanced, seasoned well, and very flavorful. Service was fabulous - knowledgeable server who was attentive but not pushy or too present. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Upscale, pricey and worth it ..gabeDined on 10/27/2014Great dinner in a wonderful ambiance and outstanding service. The branzini was fresh and beautifully grilled. Overall outstanding.Special Features:
- Good but......kjemdDined on 10/26/2014Food was good but certainly not amazing as previous reviews would lead you to believe. Wine list was good but extremely overpriced and the restaurant felt a bit pretentious. Glad we went but unlikely to returnSpecial Features:
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Start to finish, our anniversary dinner did not disappoint. The wine list was extensive. The service was excellent. We had trouble narrowing down our menu selections. All five courses were fantastic. You'll pay for a great experience, but it is totally worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully Prepared and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014An upscale decor which is also romantic to celebrate a special occasion together with the freshest fish exquisitely prepared makes this restaurant a home run! We enjoyed everything we ordered and will be back to enjoy it again soon!Special Features:
- Fun Date NighttarheelVIPDined on 10/25/2014Everything about this place was top notch. From drinks in the bar to dinner and dessert it was first rate and just so much fun. I'll be going back when I visit Boston again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChillAmmeterDined on 10/25/2014Chill evening with wife. Great drinks at bar. Recommend oyster martini. Let the oyster marinate in the drink d'd or a couple minutes. Then very tasty. Fabulous service provided by Christopher. Highly recommend him. Fish was great. For both of us. Wonderful Boston night out. will love to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night at OstraBIB28VIPDined on 10/25/2014Enjoyed an evening out here on Saturday night. The place was impossible to get a reservation before 9:30pm unless you went at 5:30 or 6pm. Even trying to book weeks in advance. Everything was great from start to finish. The apps are small portions, as expected. Meal for two cost about $300 including valet parking. The only gripe we had was the beer listing. They do not have a large selection and when ordered...they did not have what they list on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Complete Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014When incredible food, engaging atmosphere, and perfect service collide to deliver such a memorable experience, it is rare indeed. Ostra hit the ball out of the park. The paella was exquisite!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerJoesDinerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Reservation honored on time. Piano bar @ entrance with full restaurant menu available BUT no reservations. Waitstaff very attentive...water glasses refilled, bread replenished, plates cleared. Something for everyone. Branzino filet simply prepared flavorful. Broiled 3 lobster presented in its cooking skillet (roasted with butter) with roasted veggies. Had xtra loaf of house baked bread to soak up what was left in pan. Expensive wines including by the glass. Phelps Insignia @ $495 although a "reasonable" 2x +/- mark up was more than should be. Look fwd to returning. Great for special occasion. Look fwd to returning. Dessert chocolate hazelnut cremeux just OK, no intense chocolate taste, on the small (as in tiny) side for sharing.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. Food, service, decor were superb. Advice and suggestions were often taken and never wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowRacerXDined on 10/24/2014great restaurant in all aspects- food,service, decor. This is really upscale food with each dish cooked to perfection with delicate tastes. To date this is the best restaurant in Boston for the money.Special Features:
- Surprise in Theatre DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Wow! Ostra was a welcomed surprise in the theatre district--very good food, very good service, a bit cavernous and somewhat noisy but overall one of the better restaurants in Boston. Would I return? Yes.Special Features: