Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
212 W. Crockett St.
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mokarahotels.com/sanantonio/dining.html
- Phone: 2103965817x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: 11:30pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
- Special Events: At Ostra we are proud to house two private dining rooms for the exclusive use of guests dining in groups or who are in need of that little extra privacy. We also have the capability to host large private groups. Call 210.518.1177 for more information!
A word from Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa
At Ostra we proudly present the finest selection of fresh fish, locally sourced produce and organic product flown in from around the world. Uniquely imaginative cuisine delights diners as they stroll in from the River Walk to enjoy fine fare and one of our famous margaritas. Ostra features exclusive river front terrace dining, a dramatic stone and glass oyster bar and two private rooms to accommodate any guest request. Here, you can expect quality ingredients, an extensive wine selection, specialty vintage tequilas and the highest levels of service in a relaxed contemporary atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (18)scenic view (17)special occasion (15)romantic (14)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (5)good for groups (3)hot spot (3)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A real hit...!!!foodie4everDined on 9/13/2014We were at Ostra on a Saturday evening, early dining time. Everything was wonderful!! Service and ambiance were first class! We spent most of our time eating our way through the appetizers, all fresh seafood and oysters, which was fabulous. We then shared a salad and a grilled redfish entrée, both of which were awesome! We would come back in the heart beat! Recommend this place to any one who likes "fresh off the boat: seafood and great service!Special Features:
- oysters are the best partjwalkersVIPDined on 9/1/2014We went for he oysters and they were fresh and good, the fish was okSpecial Features:
- BendyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Good ambiance, foor, service, and wine. Nice location on the Riverwalk.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealMattDined on 8/17/2014We went there for the first time on our last visit downtown. Our meal was fabulous and will definelty go out again for the next special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Riverwalk is the only bright spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014The service was average. Drink refills slow. Our waitress was very nice, but I don't think she had much confidence in the food, she even called the sides 'just plain ole side'. We should have heeded the warning, but we ordered two $8 a piece sides anyway and were very disappointed with the mushy bland asparagus. As far as the main course goes, we ordered three appetizers to share and although the menu describes them all differently, they all came out on identical sauced plates. And just like the sides, they were lackluster and were missing seasoning. You would think in a city known for great food, with numerous great chefs, one would be working at one of the most expensive places in town......I guess not.Special Features:
- ExceptionalluckynluvDined on 8/7/2014We celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary here and the hotel, spa, and restaurant staff went all out to make our celebration exceptional. We found the staff to be very friendly and responding to our every need. This was truly a 5 star experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ostra a gemFam4niteDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time here. We were very pleased with both the service and food. Our servicer was great and very attentive. Manager was continually working the room ensuring everyone had what they needed. The kind of service you should get for a high end restaurant. We were not disappointed. We had a great view of the Riverwalk thru tinted windows so we had some privacy. Menu was very interesting with several items we still want to try when we go next time. Fish dishes were prepared perfectly with tons of flavor. A great place for a romantic dinner or in our case a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFoodieFoxDined on 8/1/2014Came here for our anniversary, it was a wonderful experience and we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On River-walk & makes reservationsAustinAggieVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food is good quality and service is good. for some reason we were not "wowed" at the same level as the price. It just was not there. One good thing is that they accept open table reservations while most on the river-walk are in long long waiting lists.Special Features:
- 2eatersVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very disappointed. Order seafood Cobb, which was described as with shrimp and crab. Salad arrived with 1 shrimp and no crab. Not acceptable.
- River walk DinnerDezinerDined on 7/8/2014We love this restaurant, and always eat here when we are in San Antonio. The ambiance and service are fantastic when you eat outside. Great place to enjoy people watching on the river walk. This time, the halibut special was a little over cooked and dry. Flavor was fantastic, portion was very small however. Salmon nacho appetizer was wonderful, as usual. Jorge, our server was very attentive and professional.Special Features:
- excellentI8itDined on 7/5/2014Great location, the ambience was perfect also added bonus, if you like to people watch dining outside us perfect. Our server Jesse never let our needs go unattended. Staff made a special night memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gross, Period.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We reserved an indoor table by a window to celebrate our anniversary. We were placed outside right under the masses of punks pouring by with their body piercings (festerings) and tattoos everywhere including private areas. The host was not kind in giving us this table. Food was as average as having gone to one of the chain restaurants on the river walk. The smells were atrocious. My redfish was below average and the size of a child's palm; husband's steak was mediocre at best. Really, just horrible. We couldn't leave the table quickly enough. I'm very honest in my reviews. Trust me, this is not the place for upscale dining, or even an above average experience if you have taste.
- Pretty ambiance, okay foodIlikeatmosphereVIPDined on 7/4/2014Very pretty restaurant. Went for lunch and it was great, went back for dinner and it was awful food and service. Scallops were tiny no flavor and a the scallops sat on weird bland noodleSpecial Features:
- Walked past this gem many times!chefboyrdVIPDined on 7/3/2014Ive been going to the San Antonio Riverwalk for years and have stumbled by this place and never took the time to look as most of these places have mediocre "tourist" food at best! Was I ever wrong!! This place has an extremely diversified menu to please anyone and service of a 5 star restaurant. From the blackened redfish sandwich @ lunch to the dinner special of "porgy", a fish I've never heard of, it was all perfect... 2 times dining with a total of 9 people, we found NO flaws with any dish. Not only will I return, I've begun to "spread the word" by mouth to all my friends! See you guys again when I return... and thanks for the culinary memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for River ParadejadlairDined on 6/18/2014We reserved a spot and were able to get a table outside for the Spurs Championship parade. The staff was very friendly and attentive. They were also very understanding that people getting a table there were staying for the parade. There was a $75 minimum per adult, but that was more reasonable for the occasion than other restaurants who were charging that for adults and $25-50 per child also (we came with our two kids). The food was tasty and seemed fresh. I had the halibut which I highly recommend. Great place to eat especially if the weather is cooperating and you want to sit outside. Even with the heat, there is enough shade to make it tolerable.Special Features:
- Riverwalk diningCindysaDined on 6/14/2014We took visitors to the Riverwalk for dinner and had a delicious meal. The seafood was well presented and fresh. Service was accommodating although this is not a place for a quick meal. The restaurant is located on a lovely, less crowded part of the Riverwalk and the outdoor dining is great. We enjoyed the Sancerre wine but the wine list in general was fairly expensive. Free valet parking at the Mokara is a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeBuckeyeVIPDined on 6/6/2014I ws in San Antonio for business looking for a place for dinner when i walked by Ostra. I stopped in early in the evening and was pleasantly surprised over the quality of my meal. The food was so good i decided that rather than take a chance on a new place I would stick with something i knew and went back the second evening. The meal was just as good as my firs experience. Service was excellent on both occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceEggsBenedictDined on 5/26/2014We were looking for a nice breakfast place before heading to the airport. They provided great service, good food, and good prices. One of the best Eggs Benedict in recent memory.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Great service and very friendly staff. The best shrimp scampi I have ever had.Special Features:
- The following 217 reviews are from the Ostra at Mokara Hotel & Spa reviews archive.
- UnderwhelmingTravelerNotTouristVIPDined on 5/18/2014We booked this based on TripAdvisor reviews and because it was in our hotel. This was our anniversary dinner but everything about it was just average, although we enjoyed sitting outside and enjoying the weather. The lump crab appetizer seemed like it had been frozen and thawed out; texture was not indicative of fresh crab. Thankfully, our server warned us off two of the desserts. Definitely overpriced for the quality. Good cocktails.
- Dining on the RiverDoctorGRVIPDined on 5/11/2014Nice breezy (usually) area of the Riverwalk. The only negative is the pedestrian flow (with lit cigarettes and crying babies) is very close to the outdoor tables.Special Features:
- Mother's Day CelebrationHusbandDined on 5/11/2014We were impressed from the moment, we entered until the moment we left! I am so glad that I happened upon this restaurant. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!IlovegoodrestaurantsDined on 5/6/2014Fabulous meal on this first-time visit for all in our party. We ordered several appetizers for the table and they were excellent. Entrees kept the bar high! Excellent service. Only regret is that we all were in town for a meeting and don't know when we might be able to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on RiverwalkdiningshamanDined on 5/6/2014Lovely, quiet area along Riverwalk with impeccable service, beautifully prepared and inspiring food with inspiring southwest flavors, this is the special place to dine. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 5/6/2014Loved the restaurant- we will come back to try the hotel next visit to San AntonioSpecial Features:
- BrunchRaleighVisitorVIPDined on 5/4/2014A great spot with a scenic view for brunch. Richard was very welcoming and accomodating. They have gluten-free options, but you must have a full entree on Sundays to enjoy any adult beverages.Special Features:
- Great but is lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014The food was good, ambience was good, service was very attentive, accomodating and professional. Wine list was lacking. Food price is on the higher end for the riverwalk, cooked just right with sauces and sides you wont find anywhere else in the vicinity. But I wasnt blown away. Ambience was good for a romantic dinner with my girlfriend, could have used dimmer lights however. I felt it was more a celebration of money than food in the end. Paid a lot but didnt walk away feeling deeply satisfied for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not wowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/25/2014Food was good, waiter fine and friendly. I just think they could work on the wow factor as far as the food goes - wow the taste buds and make it a must repeat instead of a once and go.Special Features:
- LOVE Ostra!JaggiestDined on 4/20/2014We go here (usually more than once) each time we visit San Antonio and we LOVE it! It's great for the kids. The staff is very accommodating and super friendly (sometimes not the most attentive) but we're always on vacation so not too worried about it. :) We always sit outside and enjoy the river, but this past trip it was Easter and sprinkling so they gave our party of 4 adults/3 children a private room inside, which was great for our wild ones. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Ostra before WickedBernadineDined on 3/29/2014Great seafood, the clam chowder was not good at all. Overall atmosphere great! Would come back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem on the RiverwalkmggmdVIPDined on 3/28/2014Wife and I recently dined at Ostra on the Riverwalk prior to attending a show. This was our 3rd time at the restaurant and everytime the food and service have been excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time guestguestDined on 3/22/2014they first time i went there this place was fantastic. Food was PERFECT, wait time for meal was great, waitor was awesome!. 2nd time not so great!. Waitor was not attentive food took 50min to get out steaks were not what we ordered at all!! We went on a sunday the first time went on sat night second time.Special Features:
- Great findensgatesDined on 3/22/2014Great seafood on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Unique menu with great taste and presentation. Food, service, and ambiance were all perfect. Of course the company of my future wife made it even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageDonlisaDined on 3/22/2014I ordered a filet medallion and received an over cooked sirloin. The lobster was over done as well. The drinks were less than average.The service was slow. The waiter tried to sell certain items on the menu. The overall experience was not pleasant at all. Especially for the prices. I have been there twice and that's enough.
- Good sea food by the riverZorro47VIPDined on 3/21/2014Ostra was a nice experience. The Oysters were fresh an the Quality / Price ratio very good!. Very attentive and professional service and the wine selection is appropriate and varied. Don/t miss it!Special Features:
- Great food; great settingDaveDined on 3/18/2014The food and service are always great at Ostra, but when the weather is nice and you can sit outside by the Riverwalk the experience is nearly perfect. I love that the cocktail and dinner menu changes as well as the oysters available when they're in season. This is a great place to eat and valet your car if you are going to a show at The Majestic. No need to pay to park when your valet ticket gets validated by the restaurant (but I always tip the valet).Special Features:
- Unable to get a table whenriverwalkDined on 3/17/2014Unable to get a table when we walked up to the restaurant as it was fully booked for the day (even half of the restaurant was empty). However, I was able to use Opentable to reserve a table at about the same time and then walked up there and get seated. I would highly recommend to reserve the table with OT if you want to go there.Special Features:
- Food was excellent! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2014Food was excellent! Service was very good. Great cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find on the RiverwalkOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/21/2014We had a terrific time at Ostra. While the entire experience stands out, the food was by far the biggest hit. We ordered the special for the evening, which was tuna. Divine. We put s pecial order in for wilted spinach, and they took care of us with delicious greens. Service was superb. And we were able to dine outdoors along the Riverwalk which made for a very romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.