640 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriaphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157630920x
- Hours of Operation:
This Mother's Day, Osteria will be open from 4PM to 10PM: Sunday, May 11th, 2014.
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00 p.m. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00-10:00 Friday and Saturday 5:00-11:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Michaud
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms. The Wine Room, cozy with a view into the wine cellar, seats up to 30. The glass enclosed Patio offers the ambience of outdoor dining with the comfort of being indoors and seats up to 50. The Chef's Table located in our kitchen is perfect for groups 8-14. The whole restaurant is available for groups 50-150. Several menu options, all parties are served family style.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2157630920x
- Special Events: Osteria frequently hosts demonstration dinners, wine and beer dinners and tastings as well as hands on cooking classes. For a schedule of events please go to www.osteriaphilly.com/events.
A word from Osteria
Rustic Northern Italian featuring homemade pastas, thin crust pizzas and wood grilled meats and fish. An all Italian wine list highlights small producers and an international beer list focuses on artisinal brews. A traditional Italian Osteria nestled on North Broad Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
251 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (182)special occasion (123)notable wine list (91)good for groups (80)neighborhood gem (80)hot spot (74)romantic (69)vibrant bar scene (26)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (16)late-night find (14)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014The food was delicious and the service really good. Wait time was perfect and they brought us a candle for our special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anyone can take a ReservationTerriVIPDined on 10/23/2014It's honoring the reservation that counts. We were there for our anniversary Told they were running behind so we waited at the bar The place was packed and loud and we were unable to have a nice conversation. After waiting 20 minutes there wer decided to eat at the bar. No place mats uncomfortable having silverware on the bar top. I ordered eggplant lasagne. The bartender came back and said its seasonal and not available Why was it in the menu?? We Ordered a pizza and spaghetti and salmon. Food was ok but nothing to rave about. Overpriced If you know someone there you probably have a better chance getting a table.
- Not Impressed--Very MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014The food, service, attentiveness and wine knowledge was very mediocre. It would have been acceptable except for the high expectations set by Vetri's acclaim.
- PerfectRacletteDined on 10/19/2014My family had a perfect dinner here celebrating a special occasion. We've been here many times and have never been disappointed. The food was wonderful. The ambience was lovely. The real standout this night was the service. Both our waiter and the kitchen staff were terrific. I wish we could eat here more often. It's definitely a favorite!Special Features:
- Always incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Food is always amazing and service excellent. It's our favorite place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to fall in love withajintrudeDined on 10/17/2014I don't like leaving a restaurant hungry. Way over priced. Confusing menu. Underwhelming portions. Service? I assume she was having a bad day.Special Features:
- Very good, but not memorableSoozDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed Osteria, but it is not a destination restaurant; one we would come back to whenever we go to Philadelphia. The food was never worse than good, often very good, but never memorable. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive, but I did not get the appetizer I had ordered. On a Friday night, it was noisy, but with the very high ceilings, there was no problem conversing at a table for two. At a larger table, I'm not so sure. I'm not familiar with Philadelphia restaurants. So while I would recommend Osteria to a friend, if I were going back to Philly, I would try somewhere else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ending to long travel dayGoPack15Dined on 10/16/2014After sitting in MKE for 3hrs for our 2 hr flight our dinner tonight made it all worth it. From the melt in your mouth postage stamp ravioli to the pistachio gelato everything we ate was fabulous. Great service and fun decor. Only minus was no diet tonic for my wife's favorite cocktail. Oh well great night to long frustrating travel day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CELEBRATIONArtLoverDined on 10/16/2014Dinner at Osteria is always a celebration, whether it is for a birthday, anniversary, or just a celebration of friendship. Having lived in Italy, we can attest that the food here is prepared in the Italian tradition -- simple flavors done better than you ever dreamed. It is always hard to choose, so we order plenty and then enjoy some again at home -- an indulgence, sure, but small consolation for the fact that we can't eat here every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience -again!kenmVIPDined on 10/12/2014another great dining experience. Large group of 8 was well taken care of!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great N.ItalianVisitorsfromGreenvilleVIPDined on 10/9/2014If you enjoy N. Italian food-don't look for "red sauce" this restaurant is a must. Great variety, everything is prepared properly, absolutely 1st rate-even the gelato was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Thursday lunchDon1Dined on 10/9/2014As always food and service were excellent. However noise level was very high and diners could have been spread out given the restaurant was not that full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Roasted pig was a special offering. It was outstanding, the best pork dish I ever had. Waiter suggested a great wine pairing. We started with a beautiful platter of roasted vegetables which was delicious. Desert was incredible, warm donuts and cinnamon and pistachio ice cream.Special Features:
- LobsterVIPDined on 10/3/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Philadelphia! Never disappoints!Special Features:
- dishDined on 10/2/2014We were a small group this time. We really enjoy this restaurant. Our lunches were excellent. Everyone enjoyed their entree. Our appitizer was wonderful and dessert was great. Our server was was very helpful, friendly and gave great service.Special Features:
- Food was very excellentLuv4foodDined on 10/1/2014We were a party of five and we were put at a rectangular table for 4, and they set up an extra place setting for the fifth person at the end of the table, so that my back was in the aisle, and the tabke was cramped. I was very annoyed at this- for a restaurant this expensive and good, I thought this was not acceptable. They should have put us at a round table, or if there was no space that night for five, not accepted the reservation. Very surprising and it got in the way of the overall experience. Also they had paper mats under the plates. Didn't like this either/ the place seems to be trying to be casual, but this is sloppy and feels cheap. Not the thing to so when you are paying 300 dollars for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/30/2014Always great and consistent. Rigatoni with chicken livers is a winner as are all the octopus dishes.Special Features:
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014No care for needs of the customer. When asked for a substitute for a dish the only option given was beans. As a chef, I am sure you have more options available then just beans. The servers lack of care for our requests and lack of help with the menu were not appropriate.
- Maybe I ordered wrongDubCDined on 9/29/2014I've heard great things about Osteria, and since I wasn't willing to pony up for Vetri, this was the closest I could get to that experience. The food was a mixed bag. The roasted pig special was dry (I should know better than take the last serving of any special) and tiny for the price ($35). The octopus salad was *excellent* and by far my favorite dish. My boyfriend's pasta was good, but not stellar. Dessert definitely saved it. The bombolone and the gelato were excellent. We also had great service and the ambiance was beautiful, but I was disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- mehdelawarianDined on 9/26/2014was looking forward to eating here - however was disappointed in the menu. after reading rave reviews about the wood oven pizza, found that i've had better pizza elsewhere - ordered parma pizza. neighborhood and parking situation not ideal. pasta dishes were not that good either. eggplant lasagna, better versions at macaroni grill. polenta gnocchi too mushy/salty - not light and fluffy. the charred octopus was ok but too salty. wine list interesting - negroamara delish the molten lava cake/chocolate flan best part of whole meal. the pistachio gelato - i've had better versions. overall, after 4 years of waiting to dine here, i was sorely disappointed. am still dying to eat at Ventri, so perhaps that will be a much better experience.Special Features:
- A place you can always count on.NSllVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is fabulous without fail. The chopped liver pasta is a crowd favorite. The desserts are fresh and delicious, The casual rustic Italian ambience is comfortable for day or evening.Special Features:
- DjctecDined on 9/25/2014Great lunch with a colleague. Service and food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostBornAgainItalianDined on 9/21/2014The Ambiance, Service and wines by the glass were great. The menu was extremely varied and interesting, and the Artichoke and Octopus appetizers, and the Peach desert were fabulous. BUT....both pastas were very disappointing. The mussel pasta was dominated by the taste of the peperonata....couldn't taste the mussels at all, and the breadcrumbs were weak. The doppio ravioli tasted fine, but identical to any ravioli with a butter sage sauce....the presence of veal brains and/or corn was undetectable. The pasta itself, however, was nicely done.
- Nice but not sure it was worth $$NjdinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Food was good. Service ok. Very disappointed that we wrote special instructions when making reservations that we were celebrating our friends wedding and nothing was done. We were not asking for anything but an acknowledgement. This place wasn't so busy they couldn't do so. For what we spent in food and beverages, an acknowledgement would have been nice. Not sure we would return. There are so many others that show exceptional service along with an amazing food experience, that just good service and good food isn't enough anymore.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodBridgewaterFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The pizza and other dishes are great - very rustic Italian! It was yummy without being pretentious and adding unnecessary ingredient. The pasta special of the night with Brussels sprouts and guanjale was amazing, so was the roasted suckling pig.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We loved the service and the dessert was amazing. The ambiance is great as well.Special Features:
- Creative ItalianMofoodVIPDined on 9/18/2014Creative dishes make Osteria a must try. The menu offers a mix of authentic traditional Italian dishes and entrees that have an original spin. We tried several appetizers: ricotta with melon, sausage with egg over polenta and grilled octopus, they were all perfectly prepared. Entrees were equally as good: but I would highlight the rabbit over polenta. The rabbit was cooked perfectly and blended very well with the polenta. The pasta with sausage was also very flavorful. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The décor has a farm-house feel, with high ceilings and rough wood tables, which are well spaced in the corners of the room, but tightly placed in the middle. Would strongly recommend Osteria, it is worth the trip.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/16/2014There were many empty tables but they kept us waiting at the bar while they supposedly prepared our table. After 15 minutes I approached the hostess send she spool gushed, pushed two tables together and sat us down. The server seemed to gave too many tables to handle us properly and we waited another long time before we could order. And this was at 9 PM. The food was greasy and very salty. It seemed that the only spice they had was salt. I had been here before for lunch and had a better experience. Not sure if this was an off night but I wouldn't go back.
- Great place for dinner !Doc11Dined on 9/16/2014We took the gnoccheti mushroom and fried mozarella and shared a margaritta as main dish. Everything was great. Excellent quality of products and waiters perfect. As a dessert, the italian gelato was also a nice moment. All together we were very happy about the experience and definitely recommend Osteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014Wanted to try this place for a few years, finally made it for a birthday dinner. Osteria came highly reccommended by a couple friends. The aps/entrees/desserts were OUTSTANDING. I literally can't wait to go back and enjoy another meal here! Service was outstanding as well, our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- You Have to Like Salt and CheeseBarbaraManVIPDined on 9/14/2014I know that Italian restaurants use a lot of cheese, but I think the Vetri restaurants use more than most. The bread was great. We had the special vegetable antipasto salad. The variety and selection of vegetables was excellent but there was too much salt on the arugula. My rigatoni with chicken livers was very good. My friend had one of the pasta specials which had too much cheese and pepper for me.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014As always Osteria never disappoints. Amazing food paired with wonderful wine.Special Features:
- EmilyDined on 9/12/2014Restaurant isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Not planning on going back anymore.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014The ribeye steak for two was outstanding. My boyfriend and I can both eat, and we ended up bringing a good quarter of it home. We did order one of the salad/grilled veggie appetizers, and I thought it was a little to heavy on the vinaigrette. Other than that, everything was great.Special Features:
- DeliciousBabetteDined on 9/12/2014The menu is a bit pretentious, and, for example a simple green salad is not available. Ingredients are prepared in an inventive way and the results are positive. The food is delicious. A variety of unusual pizzas and pasta dishes is offered and the ones we had turned out to be outstanding as was the yummy dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KEDinesVIPDined on 9/11/2014Osteria hit the sweet spot for me - the best combination of fabulous food and my favorite cuisine (Italian) that I can recall. We had two of the traditional pizzas for a first course, intending to take some home, but it was so good we could not restrain ourselves. For my entree, I had the polenta gnocchi, which was out of this world. Serving sizes for the entrees and desserts are not as generous as your traditional Italian, but that's a good thing, as it leaves room for everything. No wrong notes in the evening; I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful all aroundMPfromPAVIPDined on 9/11/2014We arrived on the early side for dinner on a Thursday eve and the restaurant was quiet..within 45 minutes it was full and lively. Our server was very attentive from the minute we sat down, brought us wines we loved without even having to look at the menu...we told him what we liked in wine and he brought us two glasses. He helped us choose our menu items ...pizza and pasta dishes ...and everything was fresh and delicious. He was very knowledgeable and the restaurant had a cool, lively, welcoming vibe...highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Ate BrainscheersDined on 9/10/2014The sweet corn and calves brain ravioli was amazing.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Wonderful food and service. Only issue was that we had a table bumped up next to the service station where orders where being entered at all times. The person I went with pretty much only had the wall and the server station to look at. Overall I recommend it. Food was out of this world.Special Features:
- wonderfulLuckyDined on 9/9/2014it was awesome. the server was helpful in recommending dishes and wine. everything he recommended we loved. we definitely return.Special Features: