640 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriaphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157630920x
- Hours of Operation:
This Mother's Day, Osteria will be open from 4PM to 10PM: Sunday, May 11th, 2014.
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00 p.m. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00-10:00 Friday and Saturday 5:00-11:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Michaud
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms. The Wine Room, cozy with a view into the wine cellar, seats up to 30. The glass enclosed Patio offers the ambience of outdoor dining with the comfort of being indoors and seats up to 50. The Chef's Table located in our kitchen is perfect for groups 8-14. The whole restaurant is available for groups 50-150. Several menu options, all parties are served family style.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2157630920x
- Special Events: Osteria frequently hosts demonstration dinners, wine and beer dinners and tastings as well as hands on cooking classes. For a schedule of events please go to www.osteriaphilly.com/events.
A word from Osteria
Rustic Northern Italian featuring homemade pastas, thin crust pizzas and wood grilled meats and fish. An all Italian wine list highlights small producers and an international beer list focuses on artisinal brews. A traditional Italian Osteria nestled on North Broad Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (182)special occasion (118)notable wine list (95)good for groups (84)neighborhood gem (82)hot spot (66)romantic (63)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (12)great for brunch (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- A place you can always count on.NSllVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is fabulous without fail. The chopped liver pasta is a crowd favorite. The desserts are fresh and delicious, The casual rustic Italian ambience is comfortable for day or evening.Special Features:
- DjctecDined on 9/25/2014Great lunch with a colleague. Service and food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlmostBornAgainItalianDined on 9/21/2014The Ambiance, Service and wines by the glass were great. The menu was extremely varied and interesting, and the Artichoke and Octopus appetizers, and the Peach desert were fabulous. BUT....both pastas were very disappointing. The mussel pasta was dominated by the taste of the peperonata....couldn't taste the mussels at all, and the breadcrumbs were weak. The doppio ravioli tasted fine, but identical to any ravioli with a butter sage sauce....the presence of veal brains and/or corn was undetectable. The pasta itself, however, was nicely done.
- Nice but not sure it was worth $$NjdinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Food was good. Service ok. Very disappointed that we wrote special instructions when making reservations that we were celebrating our friends wedding and nothing was done. We were not asking for anything but an acknowledgement. This place wasn't so busy they couldn't do so. For what we spent in food and beverages, an acknowledgement would have been nice. Not sure we would return. There are so many others that show exceptional service along with an amazing food experience, that just good service and good food isn't enough anymore.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodBridgewaterFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The pizza and other dishes are great - very rustic Italian! It was yummy without being pretentious and adding unnecessary ingredient. The pasta special of the night with Brussels sprouts and guanjale was amazing, so was the roasted suckling pig.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We loved the service and the dessert was amazing. The ambiance is great as well.Special Features:
- Creative ItalianMofoodVIPDined on 9/18/2014Creative dishes make Osteria a must try. The menu offers a mix of authentic traditional Italian dishes and entrees that have an original spin. We tried several appetizers: ricotta with melon, sausage with egg over polenta and grilled octopus, they were all perfectly prepared. Entrees were equally as good: but I would highlight the rabbit over polenta. The rabbit was cooked perfectly and blended very well with the polenta. The pasta with sausage was also very flavorful. Service was attentive without being intrusive. The décor has a farm-house feel, with high ceilings and rough wood tables, which are well spaced in the corners of the room, but tightly placed in the middle. Would strongly recommend Osteria, it is worth the trip.Special Features:
- Wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/16/2014There were many empty tables but they kept us waiting at the bar while they supposedly prepared our table. After 15 minutes I approached the hostess send she spool gushed, pushed two tables together and sat us down. The server seemed to gave too many tables to handle us properly and we waited another long time before we could order. And this was at 9 PM. The food was greasy and very salty. It seemed that the only spice they had was salt. I had been here before for lunch and had a better experience. Not sure if this was an off night but I wouldn't go back.
- Great place for dinner !Doc11Dined on 9/16/2014We took the gnoccheti mushroom and fried mozarella and shared a margaritta as main dish. Everything was great. Excellent quality of products and waiters perfect. As a dessert, the italian gelato was also a nice moment. All together we were very happy about the experience and definitely recommend Osteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014Wanted to try this place for a few years, finally made it for a birthday dinner. Osteria came highly reccommended by a couple friends. The aps/entrees/desserts were OUTSTANDING. I literally can't wait to go back and enjoy another meal here! Service was outstanding as well, our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:
- You Have to Like Salt and CheeseBarbaraManVIPDined on 9/14/2014I know that Italian restaurants use a lot of cheese, but I think the Vetri restaurants use more than most. The bread was great. We had the special vegetable antipasto salad. The variety and selection of vegetables was excellent but there was too much salt on the arugula. My rigatoni with chicken livers was very good. My friend had one of the pasta specials which had too much cheese and pepper for me.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014As always Osteria never disappoints. Amazing food paired with wonderful wine.Special Features:
- EmilyDined on 9/12/2014Restaurant isn't nearly as good as it used to be. Not planning on going back anymore.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014The ribeye steak for two was outstanding. My boyfriend and I can both eat, and we ended up bringing a good quarter of it home. We did order one of the salad/grilled veggie appetizers, and I thought it was a little to heavy on the vinaigrette. Other than that, everything was great.Special Features:
- DeliciousBabetteDined on 9/12/2014The menu is a bit pretentious, and, for example a simple green salad is not available. Ingredients are prepared in an inventive way and the results are positive. The food is delicious. A variety of unusual pizzas and pasta dishes is offered and the ones we had turned out to be outstanding as was the yummy dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful all aroundMPfromPAVIPDined on 9/11/2014We arrived on the early side for dinner on a Thursday eve and the restaurant was quiet..within 45 minutes it was full and lively. Our server was very attentive from the minute we sat down, brought us wines we loved without even having to look at the menu...we told him what we liked in wine and he brought us two glasses. He helped us choose our menu items ...pizza and pasta dishes ...and everything was fresh and delicious. He was very knowledgeable and the restaurant had a cool, lively, welcoming vibe...highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Ate BrainscheersDined on 9/10/2014The sweet corn and calves brain ravioli was amazing.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Wonderful food and service. Only issue was that we had a table bumped up next to the service station where orders where being entered at all times. The person I went with pretty much only had the wall and the server station to look at. Overall I recommend it. Food was out of this world.Special Features:
- Overrated & overpricedSilverfoxDined on 9/5/2014Famous for eclectic pizza but they were overrated and not very good. We got two to share before dinner and both were average. Crowded and noisy as local hang out. Dinners were served with dried up roasted potatoes, with a pork entree and the blue crab in a pasta like ravioli was okay. The desserts were great and the service was very good with a knowledgeable wine presentation but we will not be back as there is better food elsewhere.
- foodhappyVIPDined on 9/4/2014We were never told the specials or that you could mix and match the menu. We found out too late when we heard it from the waitperson telling other dinersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Philly GemDon1Dined on 9/4/2014Best restaurant relatively close to the Temple Campus. Wish this quality could be in walking distance to the campus. Good food, great service and pleasant place to be.Special Features:
- Snazzy placeShanaynayVIPDined on 9/3/2014We loved the Parma pizza - arugula, prosciutto, and shaved Parmesan drizzled in olive oil. So darn good, and the fresh prosciutto really made it spectacular! I had the polenta gnocchini with mushrooms and Parmesan as well, a very unique take on gnocchi! A little softer than traditional gnocchi, and definitely the polenta taste, it was so good. Once again their wine (and champagne) list was out of this world and they are so happy to accommodate you and allow you to taste any wine! I had the boudino dessert which was really special and I absolutely loved it, it was just the perfect little size for a sweet treat to complete another glorious meal. Who wants to take me back next time? So many more things I want to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeneVIPDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding restaurant with a wonderful Manager. She gave great guidance in working our way through a complex, partially in Italian,menu. The rabbit in polenta,the ravioli with brains and the veal (?) heart sausage were exotic but delicious The sommelier was also very patient as we worked our way through the moderate selection in their "wine by the glass program." Started off with a preliminary lively Vermintino followedby a red wine from Puglia. Topped it off with a remarkable glass of Limoncello; best I've ever had.Special Features:
- DisappointingsurfDined on 8/31/2014Heard much about how great it is Always it seems when expectations are high reality dose not meet it Server (I wish I remembered her name) was the main reason for Low star rating. She seem disengaged, unfriendly, was not hospitable , she should not work in the industry. Managment need to better examin their staff motives to work it makes the huge difference. Manager never stopped at our table even when we brought up an issue with food. I can see around happy people but with that miss service and so so food this will most likely not last long. Wishing I could have experienced the hype of this place. Disappointing !
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014Just oustanding food -- from start to finish -without being "snooty"!!Special Features:
- DisappointedMJ70Dined on 8/30/2014Our antipasti was fabulous as was the truffle pizza but when it came to the main course our party of 4 was underwhelmed. The service was mediocre it felt like they were rushing us out even though it was sat night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyable meal. Server was most accommodating and the food was very tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Birthday CelebrationKehayezeeDined on 8/29/2014My mom, my sister and I went to celebrate mine and my mother's birthdays. I noted in my open table reservation that it was our birthday, and that my sister was just coming back from abroad, and they put us in the back room, which was much more intimate and quiet than the main restaurant. The server was just attentive enough and very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. At the end of our meal, she brought out one of each of the specialty gelatos with candles on the house, and the kitchen held our leftovers until we had paid so that we didn't have to hold on to them during the dessert course. We had a wonderful experience and will definitely be going back again and recommending it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Fantastic Food and beautiful ambiance. Service was great, but a little stuffy.Special Features:
- MooseDined on 8/28/2014Menu is outstanding. The pizzas (Polpo, Mortadella, and Prosciutto) were all wonderful. The server recommended several dishes: pasta and roasted baby pig as well as a rabbit/polenta dish. They were all fantastic. We had a reasonable chianti with dinner that complemented the food perfectly.Special Features:
- Lived UpExpertDinerDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant lived up to everything I had heard. The only confusing part was how to combine the various types of food. I wanted to try the pizza, which I had heard so much about, but wasn't sure whether to have pizza and appetizer, pizza and pasta, appetizer and entree, etc, etc. I ended up having pizza as an appetizer and a pasta dish. Shared the octopus and smoked mozzarella pizza. It was intensely smokey and delicious. I had the rigatoni with chicken livers, cippolini onions and sage, which had been mentioned in several reviews, as well as recommended by friends, as well the waiter. It was incredible! I expected to find whole cippolini onions in the dish, but didn't so perhaps they were part of the sauce. Loved it!Special Features:
- Terrific food and service but loudFabFoodieDined on 8/25/2014We went to Osteria on a Monday and the food was wonderful and the waiter and wait staff were attentive. The only complaint was the music was avant garde jazz and was loud enough that conversation was slightly difficult. I would only suggest a music selection more suitable for dining vs. a "hip bar scene".Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The service was incredible, the environment was spectacular and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Didn't Live up to the HypeRoochmanDined on 8/23/2014Parma Pizza and grilled vegetable platter were great. Entrees - pork chop, pasta special &, brisket were good but not great. We arrived @6:30. Two of us ordered a dinner special but were later told that they had run out. It was only 6:30? Later I ordered a bottle of Italian beer and a glass of port. Each time our server returned to the table to inform me that they were out. For desert we ordered the gelato sampler and the sorbet sampler. Each was to include 3 flavors. We got one flavor of gelato and 2 flavors of sorbet. They were very good but not what we ordered. The bill came to over $400 for 4 people. For that price I would expect the food to be excellent and the selections on the menu (especially the daily specials) adequately stocked.
- Molto bene!CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Osteria's always a pleasure - this meal was no exception. After enjoying a leisurely drink at the bar & great conversation with the bartenders, we headed to our table for a procession of delights. The grilled vegetable antipasti were largely green this time around, fresh & done perfectly. A polpo pizza was exactly as we like it - thin, crisp crust with nicely grilled octopus just to the point of char. We enjoyed course after course of great but simple dishes like perfectly al dente pastas (chicken liver rigatoni with onions & sage for me, one of the specials for my wife - I don't know what it was because she didn't share a single bite with me!). With a great Italian red new to us (recommended by the sommelier, also great), it was so fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best in PhillyFoodLionessVIPDined on 8/21/2014Osteria remains my go-to restaurant for any special occasion. They do everything right, from perfectly dressed salads, grilled vegetables and meats that melt in your mouth, great wine selections by the glass, portion sizes just right--not skimpy, but modest enough to leave room for dessert. I do wish restaurants would have a selection of desserts without dairy, but the sorbets were heavenly so I didn't feel too deprived. Wait staff informed without being too chatty, and only one person tried to remove a plate while another diner was still eating. Dining perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumFiney8Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food with friendly prompt service. Loved eating in glass covered areaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2014This place was great. The waiter explained the menu in great detail when asked and clearly he was a great fan of the food. The food was creative and delicious. We all agreed we would return eagerly. Very unique menu and everything beautifully prepared. Go.Special Features:
- First time at OsteriaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Most of us got the Back from the Shore 4 for $44 deal and it was really a great deal. You got a nice antipasti plate, a pizze of your choosing, a primi piatti if your choosing and 3 scoops of sorbet and/or gelato. The pizze and pistachio gelato were my faves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic gateawayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014A great place for a romantic dinner. We were seated on a back room which was better the main area can be noisy. Food was fantastik!!!Special Features: