640 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriaphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 763-0920
- Hours of Operation:
This Mother's Day, Osteria will be open from 4PM to 10PM: Sunday, May 11th, 2014.
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00 p.m. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00-10:00 Friday and Saturday 5:00-11:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Michaud
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms. The Wine Room, cozy with a view into the wine cellar, seats up to 30. The glass enclosed Patio offers the ambience of outdoor dining with the comfort of being indoors and seats up to 50. The Chef's Table located in our kitchen is perfect for groups 8-14. The whole restaurant is available for groups 50-150. Several menu options, all parties are served family style.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2157630920x
- Special Events: Osteria frequently hosts demonstration dinners, wine and beer dinners and tastings as well as hands on cooking classes. For a schedule of events please go to www.osteriaphilly.com/events.
A word from Osteria
Rustic Northern Italian featuring homemade pastas, thin crust pizzas and wood grilled meats and fish. An all Italian wine list highlights small producers and an international beer list focuses on artisinal brews. A traditional Italian Osteria nestled on North Broad Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (171)special occasion (111)notable wine list (83)good for groups (69)neighborhood gem (65)hot spot (62)romantic (59)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great food prepared wellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/26/2014I have been here at least 4 times. Always excellent food prepared well. Pastas are house made. Most of them are available in 1/2 sizes. Grilled Octopus appetizer is perfectly done. My only concern is that I was there with a group a month ago, and some ordered 1/2 sized pasta's (2 each so that they could try different ones). I ordered full size pastas last night that were smaller than the 1/2 sized. Maybe there was a mix-up last time with the group order and people got full sized orders in error. This will need to get checked out closer with future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Lacked GraciousnessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Main server was playful but talked too much and only did two things: take our order and ask occasionally how things were. Our food and drinks were delivered by several different people who simply came over and abruptly set the food / drink down on the table. No comments, no eye contact, no nothing. Didn't even confirm if they had given us the correct dishes. The table itself was simply a wooden table: no cloth, no placemat, no candle, oh yes there was a flower which they kept setting over in one corner instead of in the middle (where there was room by the way). That is what I call lack of graciousness. The food itself was good but not exceptional and not plated in a particularly attractive way. There must be better Italian places out there in Philly. We were out of State visitors.
- On this Thur night, just not up to par...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I have eaten here several times. On this night, for a quick business dinner, service was good but the main dishes were very salty...Plus with other avail tables they put us, a party for 2, right next to the front door on a cold night. Made no sense. The other tables never filled up. When I book using Open Table I am initially almost always offered a bad table placement. Again, does not make sense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014And it was awesome! Would love to go more often. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Longer the Osteria We Used To Enjoy So Much.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2014Big fans of Osteria for years, this was the most disappointing meal we've had at the restaurant. While the food is still quite good, and the wine selection is exciting (but, with VERY HIGH prices) the service was, at best, mediocre. Overall, inattentive, with an occasional burst of contrived enthusiasm. Delivery of the courses came with an attitude of indifference. Several times we had to insist that plates not be cleared until everyone at the table was finished. The sommelier was abrupt as if she had something better to do and couldn't wait to leave for the night. Perhaps the Vetri empire has expanded a bit too much and can no longer deliver that all around high quality experience we enjoyed so much. Disappointing, especially at the price. We'll look elsewhere for our "taste of Italy".
- special dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The food was excellent and innovative, and the cocktails delicious and different! The service was excellent as well. My only complaint is that the place is small, so the tables are really close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mortadella Pizza!BilzoDined on 11/9/2014We researched the menu well. The serving sizes are moderate, so you can explore the menu. Great before dinner cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCynwydkydVIPDined on 11/8/2014Consistently wonderful in every way! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NASA KenNASAKenVIPDined on 11/8/2014Dining here has always been a pleasure. Sitting at the bar offers a more friendly interchange with the bartender, Kristen, who has always proven to be extremely knowledgeable in both food and wine options and pairings, cordial to customers and makes the overall dining experience an event that makes a Customer want to return. Highly recommend this restaurant for ambience, food, wine and service.Special Features:
- reviewhungryDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful food and service! Turning down the music would greatly improve the experience. Almost impossible to hear the other person across from you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipping downhill food-wiseFoodieDined on 11/2/2014We've been eating at Osteria for the past four years and there has been a gradual change from what used to be our go-to restaurant to more and more of a disappointment each time we return. . Too bad. I'm guessing that like a lot of people, we won't be back.
- There are better in PhilaGregfromMediaDined on 10/31/2014We went in expecting the best and though there were some great dishes, there were disappointments. 1. Great pate appetizer. So-so smoked fish app 2. The sausage and egg pizza was entirely mediocre. 3. The chicken liver pasta was fantastic. 4. The gorgonzola pasta was embarrassing. Three mouthfuls and the $18 dish was over. Smallest portion I have ever seen in my life. So, overall, very disappointing. Sorry.Special Features:
- Too SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014My ravioli was too salty, to a point where salt made me cringe. The same was with our steak. When you pay over $100 for steak I would expect it cooked perfectly. Our servers were all great.
- never disappointsDeborahVIPDined on 10/30/2014Great restaurant with nice menu and ambiance. Service is always good and the dessert menu is a highlight.Special Features:
- First classOccasionaldinerDined on 10/26/2014We chose this restaurant from a list of "best Italian restaurants in Philadelphia" and we were not disappointed. The service was prompt but not hurried. The menu is varied and includes unusual items. The food was of a very high standard, perfect lamb, delicious ravioli, excellent liver pate, etc. etc. The desserts, which often are the weakest link in good restaurants, were exceptional. And the coffee was as good as I've had anywhere. The only caveat for me, as it is almost everywhere these days, was the sound level. Do restauranteurs go out of their way to furnish their rooms with sound reflecting surfaces and to remove anything that absorbs noise?Special Features:
- Love this placeRobCDined on 10/26/2014always great food and service, go there, i love it and so does the gf and friends.Special Features:
- Mary OrlandoClevelandVIPDined on 10/24/2014We all loved it food was great and service was even better!Special Features:
- Highly recommended61alumsDined on 10/24/2014My wife and I were very impressed with Osteria. Everything from the wine list, service, atmosphere, presentation, and the food itself were excellent. Will look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic ItalianvegetarianfoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was my second time at Osteria, and both times were amazing. The first time my favorite dish was the polenta ravioli I think it was, but I didn't see it on the menu the second time (I guess they have seasonal menus). I also tried the pizza, it was crispy and a little oily, but very tasty and the pesto on it was very flavorful. There are a few vegetarian options, but not as many as I would like. However, the service is very nice and accommodating. Overall the food is a little salty, but everything was very tasty, fresh, and unique. The desserts were the highlight of the meal - so definitely save room!Special Features:
- Great restaurantSarah1777Dined on 10/23/2014The food was delicious and the service really good. Wait time was perfect and they brought us a candle for our special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anyone can take a ReservationTerriVIPDined on 10/23/2014It's honoring the reservation that counts. We were there for our anniversary Told they were running behind so we waited at the bar The place was packed and loud and we were unable to have a nice conversation. After waiting 20 minutes there wer decided to eat at the bar. No place mats uncomfortable having silverware on the bar top. I ordered eggplant lasagne. The bartender came back and said its seasonal and not available Why was it in the menu?? We Ordered a pizza and spaghetti and salmon. Food was ok but nothing to rave about. Overpriced If you know someone there you probably have a better chance getting a table.
- Not Impressed--Very MediocrePhillyPhoodieDined on 10/21/2014The food, service, attentiveness and wine knowledge was very mediocre. It would have been acceptable except for the high expectations set by Vetri's acclaim.
- PerfectRacletteDined on 10/19/2014My family had a perfect dinner here celebrating a special occasion. We've been here many times and have never been disappointed. The food was wonderful. The ambience was lovely. The real standout this night was the service. Both our waiter and the kitchen staff were terrific. I wish we could eat here more often. It's definitely a favorite!Special Features:
- Always incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Food is always amazing and service excellent. It's our favorite place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to fall in love withajintrudeDined on 10/17/2014I don't like leaving a restaurant hungry. Way over priced. Confusing menu. Underwhelming portions. Service? I assume she was having a bad day.Special Features:
- Very good, but not memorableSoozDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed Osteria, but it is not a destination restaurant; one we would come back to whenever we go to Philadelphia. The food was never worse than good, often very good, but never memorable. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive, but I did not get the appetizer I had ordered. On a Friday night, it was noisy, but with the very high ceilings, there was no problem conversing at a table for two. At a larger table, I'm not so sure. I'm not familiar with Philadelphia restaurants. So while I would recommend Osteria to a friend, if I were going back to Philly, I would try somewhere else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ending to long travel dayGoPack15Dined on 10/16/2014After sitting in MKE for 3hrs for our 2 hr flight our dinner tonight made it all worth it. From the melt in your mouth postage stamp ravioli to the pistachio gelato everything we ate was fabulous. Great service and fun decor. Only minus was no diet tonic for my wife's favorite cocktail. Oh well great night to long frustrating travel day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A CELEBRATIONArtLoverDined on 10/16/2014Dinner at Osteria is always a celebration, whether it is for a birthday, anniversary, or just a celebration of friendship. Having lived in Italy, we can attest that the food here is prepared in the Italian tradition -- simple flavors done better than you ever dreamed. It is always hard to choose, so we order plenty and then enjoy some again at home -- an indulgence, sure, but small consolation for the fact that we can't eat here every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience -again!kenmVIPDined on 10/12/2014another great dining experience. Large group of 8 was well taken care of!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great N.ItalianVisitorsfromGreenvilleVIPDined on 10/9/2014If you enjoy N. Italian food-don't look for "red sauce" this restaurant is a must. Great variety, everything is prepared properly, absolutely 1st rate-even the gelato was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Thursday lunchDon1Dined on 10/9/2014As always food and service were excellent. However noise level was very high and diners could have been spread out given the restaurant was not that full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014Roasted pig was a special offering. It was outstanding, the best pork dish I ever had. Waiter suggested a great wine pairing. We started with a beautiful platter of roasted vegetables which was delicious. Desert was incredible, warm donuts and cinnamon and pistachio ice cream.Special Features:
- LobsterVIPDined on 10/3/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Philadelphia! Never disappoints!Special Features:
- dishDined on 10/2/2014We were a small group this time. We really enjoy this restaurant. Our lunches were excellent. Everyone enjoyed their entree. Our appitizer was wonderful and dessert was great. Our server was was very helpful, friendly and gave great service.Special Features:
- Food was very excellentLuv4foodDined on 10/1/2014We were a party of five and we were put at a rectangular table for 4, and they set up an extra place setting for the fifth person at the end of the table, so that my back was in the aisle, and the tabke was cramped. I was very annoyed at this- for a restaurant this expensive and good, I thought this was not acceptable. They should have put us at a round table, or if there was no space that night for five, not accepted the reservation. Very surprising and it got in the way of the overall experience. Also they had paper mats under the plates. Didn't like this either/ the place seems to be trying to be casual, but this is sloppy and feels cheap. Not the thing to so when you are paying 300 dollars for a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/30/2014Always great and consistent. Rigatoni with chicken livers is a winner as are all the octopus dishes.Special Features:
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014No care for needs of the customer. When asked for a substitute for a dish the only option given was beans. As a chef, I am sure you have more options available then just beans. The servers lack of care for our requests and lack of help with the menu were not appropriate.
- Maybe I ordered wrongDubCDined on 9/29/2014I've heard great things about Osteria, and since I wasn't willing to pony up for Vetri, this was the closest I could get to that experience. The food was a mixed bag. The roasted pig special was dry (I should know better than take the last serving of any special) and tiny for the price ($35). The octopus salad was *excellent* and by far my favorite dish. My boyfriend's pasta was good, but not stellar. Dessert definitely saved it. The bombolone and the gelato were excellent. We also had great service and the ambiance was beautiful, but I was disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- mehdelawarianDined on 9/26/2014was looking forward to eating here - however was disappointed in the menu. after reading rave reviews about the wood oven pizza, found that i've had better pizza elsewhere - ordered parma pizza. neighborhood and parking situation not ideal. pasta dishes were not that good either. eggplant lasagna, better versions at macaroni grill. polenta gnocchi too mushy/salty - not light and fluffy. the charred octopus was ok but too salty. wine list interesting - negroamara delish the molten lava cake/chocolate flan best part of whole meal. the pistachio gelato - i've had better versions. overall, after 4 years of waiting to dine here, i was sorely disappointed. am still dying to eat at Ventri, so perhaps that will be a much better experience.Special Features:
- A place you can always count on.NSllVIPDined on 9/25/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is fabulous without fail. The chopped liver pasta is a crowd favorite. The desserts are fresh and delicious, The casual rustic Italian ambience is comfortable for day or evening.Special Features: