640 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriaphilly.com/
- Phone: 2157630920x
- Hours of Operation:
This Mother's Day, Osteria will be open from 4PM to 10PM: Sunday, May 11th, 2014.
Lunch: Thursday and Friday 11:30-2:00 p.m. Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00-10:00 Friday and Saturday 5:00-11:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Michaud
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms. The Wine Room, cozy with a view into the wine cellar, seats up to 30. The glass enclosed Patio offers the ambience of outdoor dining with the comfort of being indoors and seats up to 50. The Chef's Table located in our kitchen is perfect for groups 8-14. The whole restaurant is available for groups 50-150. Several menu options, all parties are served family style.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2157630920x
- Special Events: Osteria frequently hosts demonstration dinners, wine and beer dinners and tastings as well as hands on cooking classes. For a schedule of events please go to www.osteriaphilly.com/events.
A word from Osteria
Rustic Northern Italian featuring homemade pastas, thin crust pizzas and wood grilled meats and fish. An all Italian wine list highlights small producers and an international beer list focuses on artisinal brews. A traditional Italian Osteria nestled on North Broad Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Osteria - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)special occasion (132)notable wine list (103)neighborhood gem (89)good for groups (86)romantic (66)hot spot (66)vibrant bar scene (23)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014Just oustanding food -- from start to finish -without being "snooty"!!Special Features:
- DisappointedMJ70Dined on 8/30/2014Our antipasti was fabulous as was the truffle pizza but when it came to the main course our party of 4 was underwhelmed. The service was mediocre it felt like they were rushing us out even though it was sat night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyable meal. Server was most accommodating and the food was very tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Birthday CelebrationKehayezeeDined on 8/29/2014My mom, my sister and I went to celebrate mine and my mother's birthdays. I noted in my open table reservation that it was our birthday, and that my sister was just coming back from abroad, and they put us in the back room, which was much more intimate and quiet than the main restaurant. The server was just attentive enough and very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. At the end of our meal, she brought out one of each of the specialty gelatos with candles on the house, and the kitchen held our leftovers until we had paid so that we didn't have to hold on to them during the dessert course. We had a wonderful experience and will definitely be going back again and recommending it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MooseDined on 8/28/2014Menu is outstanding. The pizzas (Polpo, Mortadella, and Prosciutto) were all wonderful. The server recommended several dishes: pasta and roasted baby pig as well as a rabbit/polenta dish. They were all fantastic. We had a reasonable chianti with dinner that complemented the food perfectly.Special Features:
- Lived UpExpertDinerDined on 8/26/2014The restaurant lived up to everything I had heard. The only confusing part was how to combine the various types of food. I wanted to try the pizza, which I had heard so much about, but wasn't sure whether to have pizza and appetizer, pizza and pasta, appetizer and entree, etc, etc. I ended up having pizza as an appetizer and a pasta dish. Shared the octopus and smoked mozzarella pizza. It was intensely smokey and delicious. I had the rigatoni with chicken livers, cippolini onions and sage, which had been mentioned in several reviews, as well as recommended by friends, as well the waiter. It was incredible! I expected to find whole cippolini onions in the dish, but didn't so perhaps they were part of the sauce. Loved it!Special Features:
- Terrific food and service but loudFabFoodieDined on 8/25/2014We went to Osteria on a Monday and the food was wonderful and the waiter and wait staff were attentive. The only complaint was the music was avant garde jazz and was loud enough that conversation was slightly difficult. I would only suggest a music selection more suitable for dining vs. a "hip bar scene".Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The service was incredible, the environment was spectacular and the food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Didn't Live up to the HypeRoochmanDined on 8/23/2014Parma Pizza and grilled vegetable platter were great. Entrees - pork chop, pasta special &, brisket were good but not great. We arrived @6:30. Two of us ordered a dinner special but were later told that they had run out. It was only 6:30? Later I ordered a bottle of Italian beer and a glass of port. Each time our server returned to the table to inform me that they were out. For desert we ordered the gelato sampler and the sorbet sampler. Each was to include 3 flavors. We got one flavor of gelato and 2 flavors of sorbet. They were very good but not what we ordered. The bill came to over $400 for 4 people. For that price I would expect the food to be excellent and the selections on the menu (especially the daily specials) adequately stocked.
- Molto bene!CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Osteria's always a pleasure - this meal was no exception. After enjoying a leisurely drink at the bar & great conversation with the bartenders, we headed to our table for a procession of delights. The grilled vegetable antipasti were largely green this time around, fresh & done perfectly. A polpo pizza was exactly as we like it - thin, crisp crust with nicely grilled octopus just to the point of char. We enjoyed course after course of great but simple dishes like perfectly al dente pastas (chicken liver rigatoni with onions & sage for me, one of the specials for my wife - I don't know what it was because she didn't share a single bite with me!). With a great Italian red new to us (recommended by the sommelier, also great), it was so fine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best in PhillyFoodLionessVIPDined on 8/21/2014Osteria remains my go-to restaurant for any special occasion. They do everything right, from perfectly dressed salads, grilled vegetables and meats that melt in your mouth, great wine selections by the glass, portion sizes just right--not skimpy, but modest enough to leave room for dessert. I do wish restaurants would have a selection of desserts without dairy, but the sorbets were heavenly so I didn't feel too deprived. Wait staff informed without being too chatty, and only one person tried to remove a plate while another diner was still eating. Dining perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumFiney8Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent food with friendly prompt service. Loved eating in glass covered areaSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2014This place was great. The waiter explained the menu in great detail when asked and clearly he was a great fan of the food. The food was creative and delicious. We all agreed we would return eagerly. Very unique menu and everything beautifully prepared. Go.Special Features:
- First time at OsteriaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Most of us got the Back from the Shore 4 for $44 deal and it was really a great deal. You got a nice antipasti plate, a pizze of your choosing, a primi piatti if your choosing and 3 scoops of sorbet and/or gelato. The pizze and pistachio gelato were my faves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A romantic gateawayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014A great place for a romantic dinner. We were seated on a back room which was better the main area can be noisy. Food was fantastik!!!Special Features:
- Fine restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014We just spent two weeks all over Italy, and this restaurant stood up as well or better to any fine dining we experienced abroad. The creativity of Osteria's pasta dishes is unsurpassed. We have explored much of the menu, and have yet to find any dish that was less than excellent. We will continue to use this as one of our two "go-to" restaurants for special occasions.Special Features:
- SMOKED BRISKET W/PEACHMoltoMerrillDined on 8/15/2014I thought I died and went to heaven when I ate Might Quinn's brisket in my hometown of NYC, but I was wrong. If I could transport this meal onto my plate every evening in NYC--along with the peaches & radicchio--I finally would have found Nirvana! And Osteria's never-ending choices of Italian wines amazes. As does their non-alcoholic Punch for those who don't imbibe. Get thee to Osteria before the brisket smoking seasons ends!Special Features:
- Never lets me downtwelVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have yet to have a bad meal at Osteria. And in this era of expensive, small plates, Osteria's portions match the price they charge. And they now have 3 oz tasting of their wines by the glass. Great option to pair different wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodcwnarberthDined on 8/15/2014They seated us in the back room, which kind of kills the ambiance, but the food was, as always, delicious, fresh and different. We stick with the antipasti, pasta and pizza and it is amazing that that it can be so satisfying, interesting and fun. For awhile we were the only ones in the back room--which made it very quiet--but a couple of times I thought they forgot about us.
- Overall Good, but I Had Bettertlina069Dined on 8/14/2014Hubs & I went to Osteria for our 10th year wed. anniv. GREAT ambience, friendly service, loved our surprise watermelon sorbet with a candle at the end of the dinner. Very much appreciate it. However, food wise, I expected more. All in all they're good, but I felt like I had better. LOVE grilled clams w/ charred squid, lemon & chilies and the fusili special of the day (w. anchovies). Had the pork spec. - tasty, perfectly cooked, but a bit too salty. Hubs ordered beef fiorentina, beautiful perfectly cooked, but I don't think it should be paired with such a strong side. The sorbets are AMAZING (lemon verbena and watermelon), but the raspberry tart was very sour. Also had the Sicilian Lemonade, too sweet. Maybe better luck next time for me. :)Special Features:
- Poor Serviceebar8Dined on 8/13/2014We came here for a birthday dinner and were disappointed with the service, especially at the price point. Dinner for two was nearly $200, and the service was poor, we waited longer than necessary for menus, courses, drinks, and check; our waiter was also not very friendly. The food was good, but ultimately the service put a damper on the evening.
- amyamymDined on 8/13/2014Very cool decor inside and a wide range of food offerings. Amazing flavors, but make sure to ask questions on the preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food & service, but...CoolinarianDined on 8/11/2014Osteria's an institution, Vetri's culinary and service team always set the standard for excellence and the Sommelier truly knows his stuff - great wine list, don't be bashful - engage him to select the perfect pairing and ask for a table in the back, it's bright, airy and delightful So why the but? The music selection doesn't complement the ambiance and is at a volume level that is distracting to any attempt at conversation , and we're not fuddy-duddy's.... This is the only reason we don't go back more than we do...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Gianna was wonderful and knowledgeable as our server as were the rest of the staff.Special Features:
- Get Outdoor SeatingRegularGuyDined on 8/9/2014The only downside to our dinner on Saturday night was being seated inside. The noise level was pretty high and while watching the kitchen put out food can sometimes be entertaining, we were hoping for a quieter dinner. Next time I'll know to ask for the garden seating. Having said all that, the food was excellent and the service was attentive and friendly without being annoying. We shared the postage stamp ravioli as an appetizer and it was light and perfect. We also shared the rib-eye for two, which comes cut and surrounded by a salad. It looked spectacular and tasted even better. A blackberry puff pastry topped off the night for dessert. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014As usual the food was outstanding. But the noise level was very high and made conversation almost impossible.Special Features:
- A great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014We took a group of six to Osteria to celebrate a family birthday. We were seated a a big round table which allowed for all-table conversations. We started with four shared appetizers; two pizzas, a bruschetta and a roast vegetable platter. Each was delicious and our server was great about making sure that everything was easy to share and that we all had the right plates and utensils. We each then ordered our own main course, with a lot of fork-passing around to try each other's fabulous entrees. The restaurant provided a molten chocolate cake for the birthday girl and our other desserts were seasonal and perfect. The valet brought the car out instantly - all around a five-star experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect experienceluv2dineDined on 8/8/2014I love the ambience and the food. Great bar and excellent wine list. I would have given it 5 stars but octopus dish was over cooked. Still delicious, though. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than average foodfoodbertDined on 8/5/2014Very busy popular spot for dinner. Arrived at reservation time and was seated immediately. The high noise level was apparent from the outset and made it difficult to talk to each other as well as understand the servers. The menu was varied and appealing. The service was excellent from the principal waiter but the sommelier was very annoying. We were asked 3 times if we were ready to order or discuss our wine selection. When the wine arrived opening it proved to be a prolonged ordeal. The wine service was extremely pretentious to the point of being silly. The portions were large--my wife couldn't finish either her pasta course or her main course, but they were very tasty. The presentation was a little weak. May or may not return.Special Features:
- OsteriaBarbLDined on 8/4/2014Overall this was a very pleasant dining experience. The staff was pleasant, the atmosphere very relaxed...it was a Monday evening. The "sommelier " self taught as he put it was very knowledgeable and helped us with our wine choices. The food was good, not over the top great as some have said with regard to this Chef. I have eaten at Amis and I found their food more noteworthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Perfect EveningAmateurChefDined on 8/2/2014Another perfect evening at another of Marc Vetri's Philadelphia gems. Liz the sommelier helped us find a moderate tuscan for a moderate celebration. We had our usual assortment of antipasti, pasti, and a single main. Jeff is a genius with pasta, and the postage stamp ravioli and the chicken liver rigatoni were as always wonderful. We tried a pork chop Milanese instead of the more familiar veal chop and it was great. Took about 15 seconds to flag a cab after dinner. Just a perfect evening. I had just gotten back from 34 hours of traveling, returning from south east asia, and this was a wonderful pick me up and a wonderful return to western cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakBobpVIPDined on 7/29/2014I have been trying to get here for a while and was lucky to be in Philly on a Tuesday night. We were promptly seated in their roomy greenhouse and enjoyed a wonderful meal with excellent service. We had a great pizza and polenta gnocchi as an appetizer. Both delicious. We had a steak for 2 and a pasta and they were also excellent. Additionally they had a great selection of Italian wines that were extremely reasonably priced. This is a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining for a great priceTheThingDined on 7/29/2014All around this was one of my best dining experiences to date. The service was on point. Kathleen, our server, came around just often enough and at the right moments to be concerned about us, but to not be overbearing. The food came out in a relatively timely fashion, and was amazing. The chicken was moist, juicy, and flavorful, and was reminiscent of a thanksgiving feast. The salmon didn't have an abundance of spices (if any), but it didn't need it - the flavor of the fish was more than enough. And the plating was magnificent. We went with the gelato for dessert - you can pick up to 3 flavors, but the lemon verbena is all you need (vanilla bean and peach were pretty good too). The decor was perfect - homey, but modern and classy.Special Features:
- Second timeflowerchildDined on 7/28/2014The pasta is pretty fabulous. I has the fusilli which was amaaaaazing. I couldn't stop eating the bread which was also delicious. I had the brisket which I didn't love. It was smoked and had I realized that I wouldn't have ordered it. The dessert if chocolate flan was standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!tmak454Dined on 7/27/2014I loved the everything about the Osteria. Very warm, rustic feel to it. Nice and open. You can tell they put their time in the food. Bread, pizzas, and pastas are perfect!!! Marc vetri and Jeff Michaud really know what they're doing!!! Good work guys!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!BonsdoofVIPDined on 7/26/2014The quality of the food is impeccable. I would recommend anyone to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedDiningExpertsDined on 7/26/2014Been wanting to try this for quite some time and it disappoint. Crown Manhattan was perfectly made. Appetizers were outstanding as were the entrees too. Highly recommended!!!!!!Special Features:
- Always wonderful!CynwydkydVIPDined on 7/26/2014Osteria is consistently excellent with great service, great food, and great wine. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerKaner1683Dined on 7/26/2014Yet another great Marc Vetri restaurant in Philadelphia. I highly recommend the Rabbit Casilinga (sp?) for a main course. Our waiter was awesome. He explained a lot of the items that we had no clue what they were beforehand. Great whiskey/bourbon selection and an endless wine list. I recommend trying to grab a table in the semi-outdoor, greenhouse-like area. Overall a great evening and they even brought out a nice little anniversary dessert with a candle in it at the end. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/25/2014Was in Philly for 3 days. Tried 6 restaurants. All really good. Osteria was the best of all. Food reminiscent of City House, my favorite restaurant in Nashville. Just wonderful !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.