722 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriapanevino.com/
- Phone: 6195957959x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast at 8am - Monday - Friday. Sat & Sun at 8:30am.
Lunch 11:00am Daily. Dinner Daily at 4pm until 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Osteria Panevino
Panevino… Bread and Wine… The essentials of life.Osteria Panevino's prime location in the heart of San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter is just minutes from the Convention Center and most major hotels. Spacious dining room features some of San Diego's most highly acclaimed Italian cuisine and the casual atmosphere of an Tuscan osteria. Complementing Osteria Panevino's cuisine is an award-winning collection of domestic and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Panevino reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (18)notable wine list (14)good for groups (14)great for lunch (10)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Osteria PannevinoDtsesDined on 10/14/2014With each trip to San Diego area (we were staying in Carlsbad this time), we always make an effort to enjoy this restaurant.....this trip included connecting with an old friend who lives in San Diego.......love the street scene in the Gas Lamp District where this restaurant is located! Food, wine, service are all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Better in GaslampOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/3/2014Nice place, but part of the GasLamp quarter which means crowded and rushed and geared toward getting people in off the streets. Food was good and our waiter was very good, but still had what felt like a machine-driven evening (quick in and out).
- We all left full and happy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/28/2014We dined at Panevino before the McCartney concert, so the restaurant was packed, even at 5pm. Regardless, the service was excellent, and all the food was just delicious. The main courses were very generous (leftovers all around) and all were perfectly prepared. Two of us ordered the scallpo and fettucine special, which was gi-normous, another had chicken parmesan, and the fourth, mahi mahi with spinach risotta which was out of this world. And to end the meal, the limoncello cake was absolutely devine! So light and flavorful and just right. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/25/2014Dined on 9/25 with group of 8. It was fantastic. Service was prompt and courteous. Food was special. I had the seafood dish with lobster, calamari, shrimp, mussels and clams. Very special. My wife had sea bass. Said it was perhaps best she has ever had. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014This was a birthday celebration and this restaurant was a perfect place to spend our evening. We chose the San Diego Restaurant Week menu and were not disappointed. The mushroom appetizer was delicious and generous in portion. The salmon dinner had wonderful spices and was cooked perfectly and the ravioli with lobster filling was very rich and tender. The bread is authentic Italian style and brought back many memories of Italy. The Italian white wine was very good. The only critique was the dessert of Tiramisu wasn't as good as we have had before. We enjoyed the whole evening, the ambiance, the food and service. We recommend it and will return!Special Features:
- A very good Italian placeBillVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a very good Italian place in the Gaslamp district. It is very good in all respects. We went for San Diego Restaurant week, but we will return again.Special Features:
- great foodpghgirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was fantastic, very authentic. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the line!dpkraftVIPDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I went for pizza and wine before the ball game and it was excellent....Special Features:
- Bit of Palermo in Gaslamp DistrictMellowfellowukDined on 8/30/2014In heaving Fifth Avenue, in San Diego's Gaslamp District, is a slice of Sicily which I recommend. Outdoor tables behind glass partitions, keep the bustling tourists away from bumping your table. Osteria Panevino manages to exude an aura of genuine Sicilian charm, starting with Giuseppe from Palermo and his excellent menu suggestions. We shared an insalata tropica, baby spinach and hearts of palm, avocado and mozzarella with a light vinaigrette. My girlfriend had crusted seared ahi tuna with sesame and peppers over lobster mashed potatoes and spinach, and I had fettuccine with good-sized scallops and generous portions of crab meat under fresh parmesan. Both were delicious. A real find that Panevino can flourish in such bedlam as Gaslamp.Special Features:
- Don't Lose Your Italian HeritageItaly4HeartDined on 8/11/2014I find the dishes at Osteria to be extremely tasty and always make me long to be back in Italy.Special Features:
- Spectacular find!TwooldstersDined on 8/7/2014Looking for some place to eat before the theater and did not disappoint. All your reviews were great and the menus were authentic Italiano! They even special order a pasta not on the menu. Very quaint and private - great for singles couples and families alike. We will be back! The service was extraordinary - better than most 5 star rated restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We visited Osteria Panevino iN San Diego's gaslight district because of an offer from Restaurant.com. What a gem of a restaurant. We had 2 Osso Bucco dinners and 2 fish specials of the day. The atmosphere was wonderful, small and cozy Italian restaurant, the service was excellent, but the food was beyond our expectations. This is certainly a restaurant not to be missed if you enjoy Italian. In an area of a multitude of places to choose from, Osteria Panevino stands out as a terrific and highly enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceChrissieVIPDined on 7/27/2014We chose to sit on the patio as it was the weekend of Comic Con. What a show we got as we had some wonderful food and service. I always love having dinner on the patio in the Gaslamp district. It is fun and entertaining.Special Features:
- Go hereTasteDined on 7/26/2014Always...The best. Never fail...best wait staff in all of GaslampSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find Osteria PanvinoKarlasKreationsDined on 7/19/2014We had a fabulous meal and the wait staff was terrific. We enjoyed SeaBass over a bed of fennel risotto and a pomegranate reduction. Yum. Will def return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreattsickmeyerDined on 7/15/2014I took my parents here when they visited from Illinois, and Panevino didn't disappoint. The staff is great as making intelligent recommendations and my parents were blown away with their first taste of true Italian food (they're used to the big chain variety). Great spot to come and enjoy a nice relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 7/7/2014The food and service here were very good. I would definitely come back for the boneless rib eye steak with roasted potatoes.Special Features:
- Best Service Experience Ever!bripad24VIPDined on 7/4/2014My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful experience at Osteria Panevino! The food was great (the spinach ravioli is a must) the restaurant is quant and lively for a small place and the service was TOTALLY on point and made the entire experience a 10+. Giuseppe was our waiter and I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for over the top good service... He may not be for those people who want to just be left alone, but he made our entire evening perfect! I could spend another 1000 characters but I'll just let you experience it for yourself. Our best dining experience in the Gas Lamp district by far. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average ItalianClareeseDined on 7/4/2014The food was pretty terrible. The chicken was overly salty (I wouldn't have been able to eat it), the asparagus hugely oily, and the lasagna pasta really overcooked and sloppy. The waiter, while very attentive, had terrible breath! An expensive night out with very average food.
- Great Lunch Spot!tsickmeyerDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I took an international client in for lunch and we couldn't have been happier. We had a nice, quiet lunch that allowed us to cover everything we needed to, and the food was delicious. Panevino's friendly service and authentic Italian atmosphere definitely made us look like knowledgeable hosts!Special Features:
- PanevinoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We had a great time dining here for dinner. My seafood linguine pasta dish was really fresh and my boyfriends boneless rib-eye was cooked perfect! Great restaurant. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Really AverageseafordinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014In the NY metro area, OsteriA Panevino would not survive. It's really average food at prices that are high by even NY standards. I can get a better chicken parm at my local pizzeria. I guess in San Diego, they think it's great. First sign of trouble was the hostess soliciting customers off the street. Nothing cries desperation more. Second sign of trouble was the bread, pane literally means bread. Italian bread is normally amazing, not here. Ordered the cheese plate, which in California usually means artisan type. Not here, looked like perfect sliced wedges you find at Costco. No explanation of them either. Lastly the main course- chicken parm, just ok. Another Gaslamp dud.
- Just OKServiceSnobDined on 6/30/2014The food was pretty pricey here for the dishes being mediocre. (Totellinni Alla Panna & Linguine With Seafood). Only the clams & sauce tasted good. The Meat Tortellini was bland. They gave you large portions but we didnt care to finish. Nice and comfortable outdoor seating. The service was good but I would not return.
- Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2014Food is excellent and the service, which features staff from Italy, knowledgeable and attentive. Will come here every visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 125 reviews are from the Osteria Panevino reviews archive.
- Cuisine of Days Gonebiju2Dined on 6/14/2014Although dishes are rendered fairly ok, the recipes are so old world. Lots of cream, thin tomato sauces,and a lack of distinction in things we ordered.
- HeatherDined on 6/13/2014Fantastic food and great service. Small dining area though, felt a little cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven in a plate!JamonfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014In town for the marathon and looking for pasta. Found this amazing place on OpenTable. It is small and crowded but definitely worth trying. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the food was spectacular. We had the stuffed eggplant, Toscana salad, side of asparagus, lasagna and pappardelle. Everything was delicious. The housemade pasta is to die for but the asparagus is out of this world. Wish we were in town another day so we could come back and sample more items off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ExperienceTylerSDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I love this place! It's by far one of our favorite places to go for the food and service. Annalisa and Giuseppe were attentive and extremely friendly. They know just what to suggest as far as entrees go and their Italian background make the experience even more authentic. My wife had the lasagna bolognese and I enjoyed the ribeye. Both were presented well and came to the table piping hot, bursting with flavor. Be sure to try some of their delicious Italian wines as they complete the Panevino experience. Panevino is definitely a place to try if you're ever in the Gaslamp Quarter.Special Features:
- Quaint and GoodESS2013Dined on 5/29/2014It is right in the middle of downtown SD so you have a lot of people watching and noise from the outside. The food was fairly good but nothing amazing. The service was excellent. It wasn't anything over the top special for us.Special Features:
- downtown and a gastronomic delight!SVjbVIPDined on 5/23/2014The cioppino was incredible! Enough food for 3 meals and half a lobster included in the calamari, clams, mussels, octopus and fish. Super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic & DeliciousSteveDined on 5/11/2014Can't say enough about Osteria Panevino. Had a magnificant dinner on Mother's Day & were also celebrating my birthday. We took our server's (Giuseppe's) suggestions. We had the special Bocconcini as our primi mozzerella covered with prosciutto & served on a bed of spinich; great. For main course, my wife had the special spaghetti mediterranian (think frutti di mari) & I had the Halibut special. Wow! Can't say enough about the food or the service. Nice wine list too whether by the glass or the bottle. Not rushed. Take your time enjoy. Speaking in Italiano was an added bonus. The best Tiramisu we've had anywhere. We'll be back here whenever we're in San Diego ... just wish we lived here so we could go all the time. Its that good.Special Features:
- ExceptionalDanaDined on 4/19/2014The service and food was exceptional. Intimate dinning. Loved it will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- metcalfeDined on 4/19/2014Friendly and helpful service. Good recoimmwndations on food and drink. Veal is a huge plate. Beware! Generous portions. Starter we had also large. We shared. Good food and drink at reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They go the extra mileFoodforFunDined on 4/13/2014The waiter was the greatest. Ask for Giuseppe. The wine was well priced and food like home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pastaBrittDined on 4/5/2014Had a wonderful meal at Panevino, before a concert. My husband and I both ordered pasta dishes and we were both very satisfied with our dishes. The service was outstanding and staff very helpful in selection of food and wine. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great Before Play RestaurantkareninsdVIPDined on 4/3/2014Since we see plays in the Horton Plaza are we are always looking for great places within walking distance. This one is just a couple blocks away and is well worth the walk. We shared a ceasar salad, which was made the "old fashioned way", anchovies, egg, etc. and then shared the papardelle pasta with a ragu of beef and veal. It was hot and savory, very flavorful and was more that the two of us could eat. We ended with pistachio ice cream with amaretto soaked cherries and whipped cream and it was dreamy creamy. The combination of flavors were perfect and we cleaned the dish. The service is very attentive and if want something off the menu they will happily comply. We have been here several times and will be coming back again.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014We enjoyed our meal - the spinach/ricotta ravioli was delicious, as was the bruschetta and seafood linguine. Skip the tropical salad...flavors were a bit strange together.Special Features:
- Theater-goers GemKathyDined on 4/2/2014If you happen to have tickets for a show at Symphony Hall, this is the place to dine. You can come early, park on 8th and B, then take a short 10 minute walk to the restaurant. At 6:00 pm, with a reservation, we comfortably and leisurely dined, then walked back to our 8:00 performance. A truly delightful evening.Special Features:
- Excellent Tuscan food!BeanieDined on 3/29/2014We had a wonderful meal at Osteria Panevino on Saturday night. We were given a window table in the corner so that we could people-watch to our hearts content. We started with a highly recommended appetizer, the burrata that was stuffed with mascarpone cheese, along with San Daniele prosciutto, some fresh basil and kalamata olives.....absolutely sublime! Couldn't get enough of it! I ordered the lamb ravioli that had a light porcini mushroom sauce.....simply wonderful. My partner ordered the Chilean Sea Bass with butter sauce, alongside a lobster risotto....he loved it. The fish was perfectly cooked, flaky and glistening. This restaurant is a gem, the food is very, very authentic and the staff are hospitable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had to wait about 20 minuteskathyVIPDined on 3/23/2014We had to wait about 20 minutes to be served even though we had reservations. When I complained, I was informed that they were short staff: only 2 men to serve the entire restaurant. Once we ordered, the beleaguered waiter was attentive and efficient. The food was good.Special Features: