722 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriapanevino.com/
- Phone: 6195957959x
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Breakfast at 8am - Monday - Friday. Sat & Sun at 8:30am.
Lunch 11:00am Daily. Dinner Daily at 4pm until 11pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Osteria Panevino
Panevino… Bread and Wine… The essentials of life.Osteria Panevino's prime location in the heart of San Diego's historic Gaslamp Quarter is just minutes from the Convention Center and most major hotels. Spacious dining room features some of San Diego's most highly acclaimed Italian cuisine and the casual atmosphere of an Tuscan osteria. Complementing Osteria Panevino's cuisine is an award-winning collection of domestic and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Osteria Panevino - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Osteria Panevino reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (22)great for outdoor dining (22)special occasion (20)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (10)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Don't Lose Your Italian HeritageItaly4HeartDined on 8/11/2014I find the dishes at Osteria to be extremely tasty and always make me long to be back in Italy.Special Features:
- Spectacular find!TwooldstersDined on 8/7/2014Looking for some place to eat before the theater and did not disappoint. All your reviews were great and the menus were authentic Italiano! They even special order a pasta not on the menu. Very quaint and private - great for singles couples and families alike. We will be back! The service was extraordinary - better than most 5 star rated restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014We visited Osteria Panevino iN San Diego's gaslight district because of an offer from Restaurant.com. What a gem of a restaurant. We had 2 Osso Bucco dinners and 2 fish specials of the day. The atmosphere was wonderful, small and cozy Italian restaurant, the service was excellent, but the food was beyond our expectations. This is certainly a restaurant not to be missed if you enjoy Italian. In an area of a multitude of places to choose from, Osteria Panevino stands out as a terrific and highly enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceChrissieVIPDined on 7/27/2014We chose to sit on the patio as it was the weekend of Comic Con. What a show we got as we had some wonderful food and service. I always love having dinner on the patio in the Gaslamp district. It is fun and entertaining.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find Osteria PanvinoKarlasKreationsDined on 7/19/2014We had a fabulous meal and the wait staff was terrific. We enjoyed SeaBass over a bed of fennel risotto and a pomegranate reduction. Yum. Will def return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreattsickmeyerDined on 7/15/2014I took my parents here when they visited from Illinois, and Panevino didn't disappoint. The staff is great as making intelligent recommendations and my parents were blown away with their first taste of true Italian food (they're used to the big chain variety). Great spot to come and enjoy a nice relaxing meal.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 7/7/2014The food and service here were very good. I would definitely come back for the boneless rib eye steak with roasted potatoes.Special Features:
- Best Service Experience Ever!bripad24VIPDined on 7/4/2014My wife and I had an absolutely wonderful experience at Osteria Panevino! The food was great (the spinach ravioli is a must) the restaurant is quant and lively for a small place and the service was TOTALLY on point and made the entire experience a 10+. Giuseppe was our waiter and I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for over the top good service... He may not be for those people who want to just be left alone, but he made our entire evening perfect! I could spend another 1000 characters but I'll just let you experience it for yourself. Our best dining experience in the Gas Lamp district by far. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average ItalianClareeseDined on 7/4/2014The food was pretty terrible. The chicken was overly salty (I wouldn't have been able to eat it), the asparagus hugely oily, and the lasagna pasta really overcooked and sloppy. The waiter, while very attentive, had terrible breath! An expensive night out with very average food.
- Great Lunch Spot!tsickmeyerDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I took an international client in for lunch and we couldn't have been happier. We had a nice, quiet lunch that allowed us to cover everything we needed to, and the food was delicious. Panevino's friendly service and authentic Italian atmosphere definitely made us look like knowledgeable hosts!Special Features:
- PanevinoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We had a great time dining here for dinner. My seafood linguine pasta dish was really fresh and my boyfriends boneless rib-eye was cooked perfect! Great restaurant. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Really AverageseafordinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014In the NY metro area, OsteriA Panevino would not survive. It's really average food at prices that are high by even NY standards. I can get a better chicken parm at my local pizzeria. I guess in San Diego, they think it's great. First sign of trouble was the hostess soliciting customers off the street. Nothing cries desperation more. Second sign of trouble was the bread, pane literally means bread. Italian bread is normally amazing, not here. Ordered the cheese plate, which in California usually means artisan type. Not here, looked like perfect sliced wedges you find at Costco. No explanation of them either. Lastly the main course- chicken parm, just ok. Another Gaslamp dud.
- Just OKServiceSnobDined on 6/30/2014The food was pretty pricey here for the dishes being mediocre. (Totellinni Alla Panna & Linguine With Seafood). Only the clams & sauce tasted good. The Meat Tortellini was bland. They gave you large portions but we didnt care to finish. Nice and comfortable outdoor seating. The service was good but I would not return.
- Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2014Food is excellent and the service, which features staff from Italy, knowledgeable and attentive. Will come here every visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuisine of Days Gonebiju2Dined on 6/14/2014Although dishes are rendered fairly ok, the recipes are so old world. Lots of cream, thin tomato sauces,and a lack of distinction in things we ordered.
- HeatherDined on 6/13/2014Fantastic food and great service. Small dining area though, felt a little cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heaven in a plate!JamonfoodVIPDined on 5/31/2014In town for the marathon and looking for pasta. Found this amazing place on OpenTable. It is small and crowded but definitely worth trying. The service was attentive but not overbearing and the food was spectacular. We had the stuffed eggplant, Toscana salad, side of asparagus, lasagna and pappardelle. Everything was delicious. The housemade pasta is to die for but the asparagus is out of this world. Wish we were in town another day so we could come back and sample more items off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ExperienceTylerSDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I love this place! It's by far one of our favorite places to go for the food and service. Annalisa and Giuseppe were attentive and extremely friendly. They know just what to suggest as far as entrees go and their Italian background make the experience even more authentic. My wife had the lasagna bolognese and I enjoyed the ribeye. Both were presented well and came to the table piping hot, bursting with flavor. Be sure to try some of their delicious Italian wines as they complete the Panevino experience. Panevino is definitely a place to try if you're ever in the Gaslamp Quarter.Special Features:
- Quaint and GoodESS2013Dined on 5/29/2014It is right in the middle of downtown SD so you have a lot of people watching and noise from the outside. The food was fairly good but nothing amazing. The service was excellent. It wasn't anything over the top special for us.Special Features:
- downtown and a gastronomic delight!SVjbVIPDined on 5/23/2014The cioppino was incredible! Enough food for 3 meals and half a lobster included in the calamari, clams, mussels, octopus and fish. Super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic & DeliciousSteveDined on 5/11/2014Can't say enough about Osteria Panevino. Had a magnificant dinner on Mother's Day & were also celebrating my birthday. We took our server's (Giuseppe's) suggestions. We had the special Bocconcini as our primi mozzerella covered with prosciutto & served on a bed of spinich; great. For main course, my wife had the special spaghetti mediterranian (think frutti di mari) & I had the Halibut special. Wow! Can't say enough about the food or the service. Nice wine list too whether by the glass or the bottle. Not rushed. Take your time enjoy. Speaking in Italiano was an added bonus. The best Tiramisu we've had anywhere. We'll be back here whenever we're in San Diego ... just wish we lived here so we could go all the time. Its that good.Special Features:
- The following 118 reviews are from the Osteria Panevino reviews archive.
- ExceptionalDanaDined on 4/19/2014The service and food was exceptional. Intimate dinning. Loved it will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- metcalfeDined on 4/19/2014Friendly and helpful service. Good recoimmwndations on food and drink. Veal is a huge plate. Beware! Generous portions. Starter we had also large. We shared. Good food and drink at reasonable priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They go the extra mileFoodforFunDined on 4/13/2014The waiter was the greatest. Ask for Giuseppe. The wine was well priced and food like home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pastaBrittDined on 4/5/2014Had a wonderful meal at Panevino, before a concert. My husband and I both ordered pasta dishes and we were both very satisfied with our dishes. The service was outstanding and staff very helpful in selection of food and wine. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great Before Play RestaurantkareninsdDined on 4/3/2014Since we see plays in the Horton Plaza are we are always looking for great places within walking distance. This one is just a couple blocks away and is well worth the walk. We shared a ceasar salad, which was made the "old fashioned way", anchovies, egg, etc. and then shared the papardelle pasta with a ragu of beef and veal. It was hot and savory, very flavorful and was more that the two of us could eat. We ended with pistachio ice cream with amaretto soaked cherries and whipped cream and it was dreamy creamy. The combination of flavors were perfect and we cleaned the dish. The service is very attentive and if want something off the menu they will happily comply. We have been here several times and will be coming back again.Special Features:
- Good Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/3/2014We enjoyed our meal - the spinach/ricotta ravioli was delicious, as was the bruschetta and seafood linguine. Skip the tropical salad...flavors were a bit strange together.Special Features:
- Theater-goers GemKathyDined on 4/2/2014If you happen to have tickets for a show at Symphony Hall, this is the place to dine. You can come early, park on 8th and B, then take a short 10 minute walk to the restaurant. At 6:00 pm, with a reservation, we comfortably and leisurely dined, then walked back to our 8:00 performance. A truly delightful evening.Special Features:
- Excellent Tuscan food!BeanieDined on 3/29/2014We had a wonderful meal at Osteria Panevino on Saturday night. We were given a window table in the corner so that we could people-watch to our hearts content. We started with a highly recommended appetizer, the burrata that was stuffed with mascarpone cheese, along with San Daniele prosciutto, some fresh basil and kalamata olives.....absolutely sublime! Couldn't get enough of it! I ordered the lamb ravioli that had a light porcini mushroom sauce.....simply wonderful. My partner ordered the Chilean Sea Bass with butter sauce, alongside a lobster risotto....he loved it. The fish was perfectly cooked, flaky and glistening. This restaurant is a gem, the food is very, very authentic and the staff are hospitable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had to wait about 20 minuteskathyVIPDined on 3/23/2014We had to wait about 20 minutes to be served even though we had reservations. When I complained, I was informed that they were short staff: only 2 men to serve the entire restaurant. Once we ordered, the beleaguered waiter was attentive and efficient. The food was good.Special Features:
- Not at all worth the priceKclarkDined on 3/13/2014I read the reviews on Yelp and I was expecting great food, this was not the case at all. I had the chicken parm. The chicken was rubbery and the sauce was nothing special at all. I would not recommend this place.
- One of the highlights of aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2014One of the highlights of a recent trip and eating fest in the gas lamp district. Excellent variety. Would go again.Special Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014my family and went there the night before the SD half marathon race. we had a large group that kept fluctuating in numbers, but the staff their worked with us as some folks came later and much later. never did they get frustrated they continued to make adjustments and room for my guests. food was great. the caprese salad was pushed by the waiter so went ahead a ordered two to only find out they were ~$19/plate for few slices of tomatoes and mozzarella. the rest of the food was great. large portions, so consider sharing if you don't like taking food home. i would go back and recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always our go to!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Always our go to. Giovanni and staff always make or visit special, second only to the cuisine and service. Thanks so much for such a great Birthday Celebration! Again, we can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- Gastronomic delightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/2/2014Outstanding Osso Buco. Baked eggplant appetizer a must. Can't wait to return & explore the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took a group of 8 to thisSSRTeamDined on 2/24/2014We took a group of 8 to this restaurant and from the moment they seated us till we were done it was a gret experience. The service and the food was great!Special Features:
- Amazing service & house made pasta!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014My fiancé and I went there for happy hour and dinner before a catching a comedy show in the Gaslamp. Both the hostess and our waiter were outstanding; friendly and attentive. The food was piping hot and the service was fast. The pappardelle outstanding. We even got a special anniversary dessert. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service was iffyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014Made reservations, Valentine's Day is a busy night. We were seated 30 minutes after our reservation with no apology. We were then rushed through the dinner, immediate order, courses coming out moments after each other. Why would I still give a good review? The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was nice. Its a welcoming place without being too stuffy or formal. Apparently there were specials for the night - we didn't know because we were never offered but I heard the table next to us be offered some great sounding daily entrees. Still, our burrata appetizer was decadent and memorable, swordfish with pasta was perfect as was spaghetti with clams.Special Features:
- Great night on Valentines!SDfoodDined on 2/14/2014A little tight squeeze but it was an awesome night and the prices were perfect! They also had a great South American Wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were outstanding.FirsttimerDined on 2/14/2014Food and service were outstanding. A great find for first timers...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.