3650 5th Ave Ste 103
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.origanorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6192959590x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast & Lunch
Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Monday - Friday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Closed for Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Osteria Origano
Serving Hillcrest's tastiest Italian cuisine and wood-fire pizza. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner we have something delicious for you any time of day.Continued
Happy Hour daily Monday-Friday 5:00-7:00pm come and join us!
Happy Hour daily Monday-Friday 5:00-7:00pm come and join us!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Origano reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- lovely restaurant for pre-Old GloberuthiwVIPDined on 8/13/2014We stopped in here on the way to the Old Globe for an early production. The service was superb! They noted that we were in a time crunch and let us know what could be done in the allotted time.Special Features:
- not sureOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014it is an OK place it does need better food and it's a little crampedSpecial Features:
- Stupendous Servicein92557Dined on 7/19/2014We opted to try this restaurant from a recommendation from a relative. Very glad we did. Such a friendly and attentive staff. Why aren't more places like this? I wondered about a wine, got a little tasted, absolutely did not like it and ordered another. Food was nicely flavored and cooked to perfection. The outside seating on a warm summer night could not have been better ambiance. I am very much looking forward to trying breakfast here next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Osteria Origano. We had a wonderful server who was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. I had pasta and my friend had a fish entree....bother were outstanding. The bread is freshly baked in the beautiful oven in the front of the restaurant. The wine list is good as well. I will definitely return here.Special Features:
- Amazing Italian FoodLuciafeolaDined on 6/14/2014I have been at Origano so many times with my friends or with my husband. All the servers are so attentive and the food is great! Try the Lobster Ravioli, the fettuccine or the Filet Mignon.Special Features:
- Great ServiceEatsDined on 6/13/2014Our waitress was fantastic. Catered to our every need, provided helpful advice on food and wine choices, and even worked in some pleasant, funny conversation, which we enjoyed. The food was great as well. We will go back.Special Features:
- Best Italian foodBobTVIPDined on 6/7/2014This place has excellent Italian dishes as well as fish. The lasagna is the best in town. We ordered the lobster and the artichoke pastas as appetizers. They were great. Others in our party had the seafood pasta, Cajun tuna, and the salmon. Everyone was very pleased. This was our second visit to this restaurant and I can't say enough good things about it. Our server, Jason, was very friendly as was the other server, Manuela. Between the food and service, you should try Osteria Origano. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Definitely a great place for a weekend brunch w/ bottomless mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCorinnemarie619Dined on 5/11/2014Took a big group here for Mother's Day. Service was great, food was great- came out a bit thrown together looking but tasted amazing- reasonable pricesSpecial Features:
- Great Italian foodBobTVIPDined on 5/11/2014What a great find. Had never noticed Osteria before even though we frequent restaurants in that area of Fifth Ave. We went for an early Mother's Day dinner and were glad we found it. The food was excellent. We shared the artichoke ravioli as an appetizer along with a wedge salad. The entrees we chose were the lasagna, the beef and veal papperdale, and the seafood linguini. Everything tasted wonderful. We finished dinner with a tiramisu. The wine selection is not high end but had some very nice reds and whites to choose from. Our server, Jason, was very attentive and personable. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Osteria Origano reviews archive.
- Monthly VisitheavenlyMaryDined on 4/27/2014I came across this restaurant in a Yelp review and visit them at least once a month- great for brunch. I have taken several friends and they all love it! And I found out they come without me:(. Not a Blood Mary fan but love love love their.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in Hillcrestluv2wine77Dined on 4/26/2014Kind of stumbled apon this place we my wife and I googled Hillcrest Restaurants. Boy I'm glad we did. Everything from the food to the service was outstanding. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a great and relatively affordable meal in one of the nicest neighborhoods in San Diego!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD SERVICESchmooVIPDined on 4/24/2014The waiter could not understand english well and got our order a little off...then the bus boys picked up my wine glass from the table before I had finished. REALLY BAD! The bus boys were really inexperienced and they rushed us out of there.Special Features:
- Worth the TripOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/24/2014The food is always fresh and authentic Italian. The service is usually hit or miss. Definitely authentic Italian wait staff, sometime too Italian - we usually go for lunch, so we need to get in and out - not the Italian way. But always worth the trip. The brick oven flat bread is so good, and the tomato basil soup is one of my favorites, although a close second is the spinach and cheese ravioli. Worth the trip for lunch or dinner. Haven't been for brunch, but the menu looks fabulous.
- Lovely eveningCVcustomerVIPDined on 2/8/2014We had a lovely time dining with firends. The service was helpful adn warm - staff spend time at our table talking about food, wine, and Italy! We've eaten here a couple of times before and always been happy with the food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Squeezed, slow, and sufferingmadrina2gaelDined on 1/25/2014Parking is the first challenge to overcome, of course, but lack of space doesn't stop at the street. Tables are so close together that, unless you're sitting by the window, expect to have a waitperson's behind or tummy squeezing by your head on a constant basis. Sit at the bar instead. Service was very friendly but also very slow. Our waitperson told us they were out of pear salad, but didn't tell us that the salad we chose would be missing ingredients. The gnocchi had a reasonably good flavor but was stuck together in big clumps. Decent wines by the glass or bottle. Lots of little children, so I think this may be more a neighborhood spot than a place for a special dinner or to bring out of town guests. Won't be going back.
- under staffRosadoDined on 1/25/2014Last two times I walked out because of no service servers are great but they are always severally under staffedSpecial Features:
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Dont go if you are very hungry! The waittime is terrible. Mainly lack of service, seems to have very few employees which reflected in the time we waited to get our order. There wasn't even bread offered until really late. The food was decent but lack of flavor. Overall expected more.
- Great Little PlaceLisaCDined on 1/24/2014The food was wonderful, the service delightful. A small restaurant with one chef cooking in full view of the diners, it felt homey and intimate at the same time. The servers were truly gracious. We liked our dinner so much the first night, we went back for a second meal the next! Loved the homemade ravioli. Nice affordable & varied wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timesSandyDined on 1/3/2014I have eaten here a few times and its ways the same great friendly service and great food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service are alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2013The food and service are always good. The menu was changed months ago, but the chef will make a dish that was on the old menu whenever i ask for it. The outside dining is fun with lots of people to see. The fish and pasta dishes are good. One person had the lemon chicken and ate everything on the plate. A great place for dinner which is relaxed and where you can really enjoy a conversation with a delicious meal.Special Features:
- High Expectations - Low Result!ExperiencedDined on 12/25/2013It's Christmas night, our resv @ 5pm to avoid crowds and slow service. Drinks came right away but things started causing concern..30min later appetitizers came...Ordered dinner right away..Noticing the 3 total servers were constantly waiting at the cooks open counter, were getting really stressed out. One hr exactly & 1 table got up & left. Another 30min past and another table left before we got our dinner! Only us and another table remained - business was slow and the cooks were slower! The last straw was I my wife 'what did you order?' The Filet - it wasnt close + it was well done vs pink inside. Not ever going back again - never!!Special Features:
- neighborhood gemalexDined on 12/14/2013This place is FABULOUS ! Leila and preston are great servers! The foods delicious. I will definitely be coming in for bottomless mimosa on Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningCommanderDined on 12/11/2013The food was amazing and the service outstanding. We are return time and again and are always pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm comfortable restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/7/2013Warm comfortable restaurant with very pleasant services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super cute and amazing foodDdinerDined on 11/30/2013We have been here for dinner and brunch here on Sunday morning! Everything from the start to finish was perfect. The breakfast was amazing.. breakfast pizza was to die for with chorizo and up eggs. The pastas are incredible.. chef vincenzo does a great job! Music is great too. Jackie was our server and she had a fun attitude! We can't wait to come back. Highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfortunateiggyDined on 9/20/2013this was for a birthday dinner, but a lot of little things - not getting any bread, the waitress not being as responsive to our table as much as other tables around us, asking about food and then getting it right after as if she had forgotten about it, the seasoning of the food and the...unusual presentation of one dish - all made the experience a bit unpleasant. it's too bad
- Good brunch, not-so-good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2013Went back for dinner after having a really nice Sunday brunch a few weeks earlier. The place was deserted on a Saturday night at 7 PM. The eggplant appetizer was just OK. The ravioli was so smothered in onions that all of the other flavors were lost. The chocolate mousse cake was still frozen in the middle. Overall, it was not a good meal. They did play nice music, though--Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Nat King Cole, etc.
- Pleasant and tastyMelodieDined on 9/14/2013This is a cozy spot in a nice, relatively quiet part of Hillcrest where our party of 4 had 3 delicious meals and 1 somewhat disappointing one. The staff is great and the menu is very appealing, with lots of different kinds of dishes to choose from. The obligatory "bread" -- which was pizza dough cut into little triangles -- was delicious, as was the foccaccia appetizer. Linguini with clams was also delicious and, unlike many I've had elsewhere, not overly salty. The one disappointment was the salmon -- all the more disappointing since it was one of the priciest dishes on the menu. It was apparently farm-raised salmon, which has much less flavor than wild salmon. However, the risotto served with the fish was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Urban Casual DiningSchmooVIPDined on 8/27/2013Great place for a casual dinner. We love sitting outside... we also love (tall) Marco - such an excellent waiter! Always makes us feel special.
- restaurant has room to improvesecondtimetesterDined on 8/18/2013Small, intimate and therefore noisy place - feels like a neighborhood gathering - brunch items were good, but bland white bread was uninspired as were the hash browned potatoes. Service was slow, but friendly. Enjoyed the osso bucco hash but the plate needed some veggie or fruit accompaniment. We would go back again and hopefully some of these things will have improved.Special Features:
- Good Enough for one timeilylukaDined on 6/25/2013The food was just ok. The eggplant came undercooked and I had to send it back. It came back charred. The waitress was nice and accommodating. The boss/owner was having an off day. When we tried talking to him he didn't even reply. My husband ordered their salmon with ravioli and I ordered a salad with salmon and roasted vegetables. It was not memorable, neither would we go back there.Special Features:
- city greatseatoutDined on 6/3/2013This is a truly wonderful place to stop by if you are just walking looking for dinner. the service is great and the tables are set so that you have your privacy. Monday nights are great because the appetizers and drinks are half off. The waiter we had was extremely helpfulIn suggesting what to order. I have to say that this is one of the Best bread that I have ever had with a meal. I don't think you can go wrong with your entree order. Explore the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great ServiceBreezeVIPDined on 5/31/2013I always like a restaurant where the chef and/or owner comes to greet you and will make whatever you want. I visited Osteria Origano last Friday night. I had seen the on-line menu and knew what I wanted to order before I got there. But when I arrived, there had been some menu changes and what I wanted was no longer on the menu. The chef was more than happy to prepare what wanted and it was perfect. I also really liked their bread. Instead of the usual dinner rolls, they prepared these little triangle seasoned flat breads. Very tasty.Special Features:
- Food was tasty but amountdoctorGVIPDined on 5/26/2013Food was tasty but amount was parsimonious. Service was haphazard.
- A new Chef partner is takingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013A new Chef partner is taking over firt week of May 2013. He said he was revising the menu including lower prices.Special Features:
- Portions were ample, the SpinachOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013Portions were ample, the Spinach Salad and a starter could have made a filling meal. A good wine list but the by-the-glass choices were somewhat limited. Artichoke Ravioli came with a slightly cooked chopped tomato sauce which kept the dish light. Chicken with Artichokes was also good.Tiramisu was light and not overly sweet, made a good finish to the meal. Our criticisms were that the starter was served while we were eating the salads, we thought it should have come first and the table was too small to accommodate that many plates; and there was a long wait for the entrees to arrive---possibly they were waiting for me to finish the Spinach Salad that I never could finish.Special Features:
- loved the food! was theredianeVIPDined on 3/17/2013loved the food! was there on a Sunday night and the place was all but empty. waitstaff, given the few tables to manage could have been more attentive, but the food made up for the service.
- The service was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2013The service was terrible. THe food was mediocre. Overall, it has great potential and maybe we caught them on a bad night, but will give another chance due to the previous reviews.
- Fine meal with one exceptionzipporahVIPDined on 2/18/2013With the exception of one spectacularly grit-filled mushroom (that simply refused to rinse free regardless of the amount of water consumed) our meal was wonderful. The cioppino is one of the best I've had in San Diego. My companion's steak was cooked precisely as ordered and seasoned well.Special Features: