Osteria Morini - New York
218 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Osteria Morini - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
- Phone: 2129658777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5pm - 11:00pm; Thursday-Saturday: 5pm - 12:00am; Sunday 5pm - 11:00pm Interim Menu Served Everyday from 3:30 - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael White
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We are serving a 4-course pre fix menu for Monday February 13th and Tuesday February 14th in recognition of Valentine's Day. It is $75 per person with a choice of appetizer, pasta, entree, and dessert from our regular dinner menu. We will also be offering specials that can also be included in the price-fixed menu. We will not be offering an a la carte dinner menu on these dates.
A word from Osteria Morini - New York
Osteria Morini - New York is a authentic rustic Italian restaurant by acclaimed and award winning Chef Michael White and the Altamarea Group. In Italian, “osteria” means a place where the owner “hosts” guests, and at Osteria Morini - New York Chef White continues this tradition of hospitality, transforming his first downtown restaurant into an authentic, old-world osteria with soulful food from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Morini - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (159)neighborhood gem (125)good for groups (68)special occasion (65)hot spot (65)notable wine list (56)great for lunch (43)romantic (37)great for brunch (33)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (15)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- GreatST13Dined on 8/27/2014Just all around good italian food. Not fancy, but everything was on point, tasted great even after accommodating gluten allergies. would def go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I was excited to bring a friend from out of town. based on the reviews . Was expecting higher level of food quality for the hype. food was okay and the plates themselves for dinner were small kind of felt like we were out for lunch the meatball app was just okay. was hoping for AMAZING FRESH PASTA but instead mine was ok but nothing special when leaving at 730.. the bar looked fun ,suggest for two people go eat at the bar... as it was this casual kind of rest. think I would have enjoyed it more if we sat at the bar and ate..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014The food was incredible, the ambiance was vibrant - a fantastic restaurant, the only drawback is that the waiters try to rush you out in order to turn over the table and that's a turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but stuffyFoodieDeeNYCVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was really good, however the portions were pretty small. Wouldn't recommend if you're looking for an Italian restaurant with large bowls of pasta. The hostess was also pretty rude. She gave us a hard time when we were waiting in the bar area. Everywhere we tried to find room to stand she said we needed to move -- the bar area is way to small I guess... Overall the pastas were delicious. We cleaned our plates (although as I mentioned, the portions are pretty small). I might go back, maybe with a date instead of a group of friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014fun. great food. excellent service. bread and butter was amazing.Special Features:
- A must go...SFEaterDined on 8/22/2014Back in town and first thing, headed straight to OM for dinner. Brought coworker from Nashville....loved it as well. Relaxed atmosphere with folks from all ages and neighborhoods. Consistently good!Special Features:
- Consistently good food.msbnyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Osteria Morini has one of the best pasta dishes in New York City: garganelli with peas, prosciutto & truffle butter. Their lasagnetti is also a beautiful dish. Meatballs and calamari are a must for starters. I love this place for brunch and for dinner. Have not had a single disappointing dish here. Fantastic food & great location & good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly super neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014The food was super, the service attentive but discrete. My only complaint is the excessive noise level even at 6:30PM.Special Features:
- DeliciousJackDined on 8/18/2014The food is wonderful.... creative and fresh! Would highly recommend for casual dining.Special Features:
- Amazing Sunday Night DinnerlakeshoredriveDined on 8/17/2014I'm so happy i found this place! The wine list was pretty extensive and fit all price ranges. We started with the crostinis and tried 3 spreads- parmesan, trout, and eggplant. so delicious! the waiters were great about refilling the crostinis. For dinner we had a rosemary, mushroom pasta, and the grilled branzino which were both really well prepared. For desert we shared a lemon semolina cake, topped with strawberries and gelato. Overall, it was a great experience. I would highly recommend it. The waiters/waitresses and front staff were all really friendly as well.Special Features:
- Good food but poor serviceDjphinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was great. Waitress didn't know much about the menu. Ordered a wine flight and the waitress had no idea which was which. Then when they cleared up my left overs, another spilled half my glass of wine into the asparagus and said nothing. No sorry or no offer to replace my glass of wine. However, I will probably be back as the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 22 month anniversary and we were very happy with our meal. The wine was great, and the food was even better! I highly recommend this place for a special night outSpecial Features:
- Delicious and Authentic CuisineVouvouDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant is a gem. Delicious food, nice restaurant and great service. The food was old fashion, but maybe not the best in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We were looking for upscale food in a more casual environment and this fit the bill. We brought along our two children (7 and 4). The restaurant was accommodating to our children. There is not a kids menu, but we told our server that our children were splitting a meal and they brought the food out in separate dishes, perfect for them. Food was great. Server was great at making recommendations. A bit noisy in the restaurant.Special Features:
- 4th Visitleeley18VIPDined on 8/7/2014And I will be back again!! I cant get enough of this place, this food, this pasta!! Love Love Love!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amocomidaVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was good -- octopus was a little dry but the seafood soup was stupendous. The noise level was really high -- you couldn't hear the person across from you.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedschlimmerkerlDined on 8/4/2014Lunch with a colleague, but can't wait to try for dinner. From food to service, all the signs are there that indicate a very well-managed restaurant.Special Features:
- They did the right thing.JJ28VIPDined on 8/2/2014Had a great dinner here again. We asked them to wrap some leftover food up and they accidentally threw it away. The waiter told us that it was their fault and they recooked everything again and wrapped it up. They even remembered to make the minor tweaks we had asked for the first time. Food is always great and so is the service.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014Went here early on a Saturday night. Had a reservation. The restaurant wasn't crowded but they sat us right near the bathrooms. When I commented they didn't offer to move us. That set the tone. Otherwise, it's a nice little bistro. The pasta was fresh and very good. The capaletti was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We had our celebratory post-wedding lunch here and were extremely satisfied. It was a quiet, intimate setting for our guests with delicious food and gelato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2014Pasta was lovely, especially the torcia. Very unique shape and had a wonderful rich shrimp flavor. But some service problems made this a 3 star experience. First, we had to wait to be seated for our 8:30 reservation, and even though this contributed to us not ordering our food until 9:10 they would not allow us to take advantage of the $10 pasta after 9 pm deal on Monday nights, which felt like a very cheap move to our group. Secondly, the waitress charged us for an extra glass of wine. When we discovered the mistake the manager initially tried to explain it to us as a legitimate charge related to their glass and a half orders. Luckily the waitress came back and acknowledged her mistake. We felt the restaurant did take care of us well.Special Features:
- TerrificShawnVIPDined on 7/21/2014The experience at Osteria Morini never disappoints. The food and service is outstanding and the ambiance is great. More importantly, it is very consistent and the people who work here clearly want to be here, enjoy what they do, and do it very, very well. Go for the amazing pastas, or the grilled meats which are so simple but so tasty and not unlike what one might find in Italy. Have the zabaglione mousse for dessert and wonder why you don't come here more often! Congrats to everyone here for caring about what you do, maintaining a standard, and consistently providing a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's work on the wine selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/21/2014You'll feel almost like you've entered an osteria in Italy, however the price of wines will bring you quickly back to your real location - New York. Osteria Morini greets you warmly, the food comes out of the kitchen at a decent pace, the service is professional. The wine list could offer a few more selections under $60 considering the breadth of Italian wines. The 5 oz portion by the glass looks a tad under 5 oz making a $16 /glass charge seem ridiculous in an Osteria. This is my 4th time here and I'm not sure I'll go back. Price/value just seems a little out of whack these days.Special Features:
- DelishLinzDined on 7/19/2014The food was truly unbelievable... duck liver mousse and pasta we're delectable and I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Chef White does it again!yourxserviceDined on 7/19/2014You can't go wrong with anything on the menu here. The pasta portions were a little on the small side but you won't mind because they are sooooo delicious. The skirt steak was also well seasoned and melts in your mouth. We also got a selection of cured meats. The prosciutto was AMAZING. Come here for brunch and pair it with a carafe of peach bellinis!Special Features:
- MoriniDVE285Dined on 7/16/2014Meager portions, general lack of graciousness. Not worth it, used to be better.
- Good but... still had to waitEatOut2OftenVIPDined on 7/15/2014The food and staff here are very good. We still had to wait 30 minutes despite a reservation. The point of a reservation is to avoid this type of wait (and it was a Tuesday evening). Otherwise, pasta is fantastic and the staff attentive.
- MkayVIPDined on 7/15/2014We are fans of this place, where we've eaten before, but this time there were some negative aspects. The restaurant made too much of an issue over adding one person to our party of four--the table had a bench that easily fit two or three. The noise level was deafening for the first hour or so that we were there. We didn't get our second bottle wine until our meal was almost over. The wines, although very well chosen, were way overpriced--eg, we paid more than $60 for a bottle that sellls for about $20 retail. On the positive side--our crostini, meatballs, various cured meats and a number of different pastas were all very good--interesting flavors and preparations. On balance, the quality of the food just outweighed the negatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisePrincetonFoodLoverDined on 7/15/2014We picked Osteria Morini for our lunch and it did surprise me. We arrived early and were pleasantly greeted and promptly seated. The server and all of the wait staff were professional and knowledgeable. The lunch menu offers 2 courses for $28 and with a nice range of options. What we liked is that they had a number of dishes that were distinctly different from your average good Italian place. We loved the luscious meatballs and the 2 different salads that my table mates ordered to start. Main courses? Meat tortellini with a duck liver sauce? Original and brilliant! the Bolognese?-better than the ones I had in Bologna. Only 2 things to say negative. The wines by the glass were over priced and we did not care for the Baccala fritters.Special Features:
- Amazing food!ak444Dined on 7/14/2014Morini never disappoints! Whenever I want a great Italian meal I know I'm going to get one here! I've never had anything on the menu that I didn't like! Absolutely amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingVoulaVIPDined on 7/13/2014We ate late on a Sunday evening. The waiter was not very interested in serving our table. Perhaps he didn't want to stick around. The food lacked flavor. The wine had SoHo prices for 5 oz glasses. We had tiramisu and three scoops of gelato for dessert. The tiramisu was fine, but I have had better. The pistachio gelato was excellent. When we first arrived, I told the waiter that there were no hand towels in the washrooms. He said he would take care of it, but when we left he had not and two other women were also searching for towels to dry our hands. He wasn't even busy and they were all closing down the restaurant while we were still eating. We should have gone to Balthazaar. It was definitely "happening" when we walked by.Special Features:
- Delicious Food!TkjtdaVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious and the portions are medium sized, which I prefer. There were 4 in our group and we all got a different pasta dish and everyone loved the one they got. The bread is excellent -- already soaked in olive oil. It's a little hard to hear in there but I find that to be true for most NYC Italian restaurants. I will definitely return again the next time I am in SoHo.Special Features:
- luvfoodDined on 7/12/2014Food is amazing. Try any of the house made pastas. This is the second time and so far nothing has been short of wonderful.Special Features:
- Amazing food, poor serviceFoodAndWineEnthusiastVIPDined on 7/4/2014I've been to Osteria Morini 3 or 4 times previously and the food never disappoints, but the service often does. To start, the prosciutto, rucola salad & octopus were all delicious. Up until that point of the meal, the service was good (not outstanding, but good), then my party of 2 waited about an hour for the pasta dishes we ordered. To be fair when the food arrived it was terrific, but waiting an hour is unacceptable (and the staff was not particularly apologetic/more attentive after they were made aware of the issue). On past visits, the service has not been great but this time was the worst of all. The food always has us coming back, but the lack of attention to service is harder and harder to overlook.Special Features:
- Porchetta heaven!KathyGDined on 6/29/2014Was somewhat doubtful when I saw they had several branches, but went on the recommendation of a foodie friend. Loved the food and particularly the suggestion of serving "family style" as we always want to taste anyway. The porchetta was authentic and as good as we had in the Marche. Just wish it was a tad less noisy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We both enjoyed every part of our meal. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Meal!!!chimanDined on 6/21/2014My wife and another couple went here for dinner on our trip to NYC. This was one of the best meals we had there. We had the set menu ($70/person). Everything was great, just a little bit too much food for us. The atmosphere is very lively and great for a not too formal meal. All the pasta dishes were to die for. Highly recommend the Gramigna, so simple but sooo delicious. Try the grilled octopus, it was melt in your mouth tender!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...MishiVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great food that keeps us coming back - in particular the fegatini is amazing, and the pastas are perfectly cooked (the stracci and tagliatelle are delightful). We've previously enjoyed warm service and have enjoyed the relaxed feel of the dining room but on this particular morning the servers were inattentive (had to ask for extra bread for the salumeria... twice!) and our waitress in particular was rather unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJaneSDined on 6/20/2014Our second time here and would not go back. Very noisy, awful service and mediocre food. Too many other great places in NYC to bother with this one.
- Small gemDukeNucleusDined on 6/19/2014Osteria Morini was a true find - an interesting menu and great wine list. The service was very good, and both of our pasta dishes were fantastic. It has the ambiance of an old Italian family restaurant, but we were surprised to learn that it has only been open a couple of years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.