Osteria Morini - New York
218 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Osteria Morini - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
- Phone: 2129658777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5pm - 11:00pm; Thursday-Saturday: 5pm - 12:00am; Sunday 5pm - 11:00pm Interim Menu Served Everyday from 3:30 - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael White
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We are serving a 4-course pre fix menu for Monday February 13th and Tuesday February 14th in recognition of Valentine's Day. It is $75 per person with a choice of appetizer, pasta, entree, and dessert from our regular dinner menu. We will also be offering specials that can also be included in the price-fixed menu. We will not be offering an a la carte dinner menu on these dates.
A word from Osteria Morini - New York
Osteria Morini - New York is a authentic rustic Italian restaurant by acclaimed and award winning Chef Michael White and the Altamarea Group. In Italian, “osteria” means a place where the owner “hosts” guests, and at Osteria Morini - New York Chef White continues this tradition of hospitality, transforming his first downtown restaurant into an authentic, old-world osteria with soulful food from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Morini - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (115)good for groups (71)hot spot (53)special occasion (52)great for lunch (45)notable wine list (45)great for brunch (30)romantic (29)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (21)kid-friendly (16)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great RestaurantJohnKDined on 9/14/2014Osteria Morini is a great restaurant in the Soho neighborhood downtown New York. It was recommended by our hotel concierge and it certainly lived up to her description. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/14/2014Excellent food, Good service. A bit of sound proofing would make this a totally satisfying experienceSpecial Features:
- Swede2Dined on 9/10/2014This restaurant is a nice place to drop in when you're around Lafayette. Quick service, lots of people at the bar and good italian food. The wine list was long and we Lazio we picked was excellent with our food.Special Features:
- Great food, service needs a wake upSteakloverDined on 9/8/2014The menu offers fun variety and great portions to try many things for sharing. I loved the trout crostini, the antica Ragu and the peppers and onions were delicious. The service was slow. Even though we made a reservation we were immediately seated by the bathroom. I was so offended as the restaurant was 50% empty at 7 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaDined on 9/6/2014Food was very good, menu had many choices to suit any mood (as long as you're up for Italian, and if you've chosen this place, you are) and there were choices at several price points. However, I guess we're not used to NY portions and prices. At a similar type resto here in Boston, my partner and I can share a salad, pasta and main, and leave quite satisfied. We ordered a bit more than that here, and left eager for dessert. Food was very good, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverVIPDined on 9/6/2014Brunch was a very specific menu, make sure to check it out before arriving.
- great italianNatashaDined on 9/6/2014wonderful Italian food, straight ahead, you get what you order, no nonsense. Quite possibly the best prosciutto I have ever had, and that includes in Italy!Special Features:
- My favorite Restaurant in NYCerniezapDined on 9/2/2014I love the place, everyone is very nice and good service. The food? Well, you could be sitting in a restaurant in Emilia-Romagna! Great!Special Features:
- Pasta from HeavenchillgunasDined on 9/1/2014Maybe the best pasta I've ever had. It was utterly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific foodFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014Michael White's hand is evident on the menu and on the plate. Delicious meal, great evening. We enjoyed macaroni with pork sausage and kale, fish stew and veal. Would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- MichaelVIPDined on 8/29/2014I love this place. Great food, great service. Really nice people that want to please. Going back next week so we can introduce to some friends.Special Features:
- MandBVIPDined on 8/28/2014We shared 3 crostini -- all of which were excellent -- and 3 from the meat/cheese selection -- all of those excellent as well. In particular, the parmagiano "gelato" was fabulous as was the Squacquerone cheese (complemented by wonderful bread. These six dishes were rich, filling and delicious, leaving room only to share a pasta dish -- also amazingly delicious. Can't wait to go back to taste some more amazing dishes. We've had Lambrusco several times before and hadn't particularly liked them, but since this is a specialty of Osteria Morini we tried again and order the special of the day thanks to the suggestion of our waiter -- it was great!Special Features:
- GreatST13Dined on 8/27/2014Just all around good italian food. Not fancy, but everything was on point, tasted great even after accommodating gluten allergies. would def go backSpecial Features:
- DottyMDined on 8/26/2014I was excited to bring a friend from out of town. based on the reviews . Was expecting higher level of food quality for the hype. food was okay and the plates themselves for dinner were small kind of felt like we were out for lunch the meatball app was just okay. was hoping for AMAZING FRESH PASTA but instead mine was ok but nothing special when leaving at 730.. the bar looked fun ,suggest for two people go eat at the bar... as it was this casual kind of rest. think I would have enjoyed it more if we sat at the bar and ate..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodFoodFanDined on 8/25/2014The food was incredible, the ambiance was vibrant - a fantastic restaurant, the only drawback is that the waiters try to rush you out in order to turn over the table and that's a turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014I do not live in NY, but every time I visit, this is the restaurant I want to go to. I will eat all the cheese they have to offer! The entrees are excellent. My favorite is the polletto. The best restaurant in New York!Special Features:
- Yummy but stuffyFoodieDeeNYCVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was really good, however the portions were pretty small. Wouldn't recommend if you're looking for an Italian restaurant with large bowls of pasta. The hostess was also pretty rude. She gave us a hard time when we were waiting in the bar area. Everywhere we tried to find room to stand she said we needed to move -- the bar area is way to small I guess... Overall the pastas were delicious. We cleaned our plates (although as I mentioned, the portions are pretty small). I might go back, maybe with a date instead of a group of friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014fun. great food. excellent service. bread and butter was amazing.Special Features:
- A must go...SFEaterDined on 8/22/2014Back in town and first thing, headed straight to OM for dinner. Brought coworker from Nashville....loved it as well. Relaxed atmosphere with folks from all ages and neighborhoods. Consistently good!Special Features:
- Consistently good food.msbnyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Osteria Morini has one of the best pasta dishes in New York City: garganelli with peas, prosciutto & truffle butter. Their lasagnetti is also a beautiful dish. Meatballs and calamari are a must for starters. I love this place for brunch and for dinner. Have not had a single disappointing dish here. Fantastic food & great location & good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly super neighborhood spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014The food was super, the service attentive but discrete. My only complaint is the excessive noise level even at 6:30PM.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/18/2014Manager was super rude and pulled a bait-and-switch on their late-night pasta special as far as not stating their conditions, not understanding that customers would be confused, as well as not making any effort to satisfy customer expectations.Special Features:
- DeliciousJackDined on 8/18/2014The food is wonderful.... creative and fresh! Would highly recommend for casual dining.Special Features:
- Amazing Sunday Night DinnerlakeshoredriveDined on 8/17/2014I'm so happy i found this place! The wine list was pretty extensive and fit all price ranges. We started with the crostinis and tried 3 spreads- parmesan, trout, and eggplant. so delicious! the waiters were great about refilling the crostinis. For dinner we had a rosemary, mushroom pasta, and the grilled branzino which were both really well prepared. For desert we shared a lemon semolina cake, topped with strawberries and gelato. Overall, it was a great experience. I would highly recommend it. The waiters/waitresses and front staff were all really friendly as well.Special Features:
- Good food but poor serviceDjphinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was great. Waitress didn't know much about the menu. Ordered a wine flight and the waitress had no idea which was which. Then when they cleared up my left overs, another spilled half my glass of wine into the asparagus and said nothing. No sorry or no offer to replace my glass of wine. However, I will probably be back as the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 22 month anniversary and we were very happy with our meal. The wine was great, and the food was even better! I highly recommend this place for a special night outSpecial Features:
- Delicious and Authentic CuisineVouvouDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant is a gem. Delicious food, nice restaurant and great service. The food was old fashion, but maybe not the best in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014We were looking for upscale food in a more casual environment and this fit the bill. We brought along our two children (7 and 4). The restaurant was accommodating to our children. There is not a kids menu, but we told our server that our children were splitting a meal and they brought the food out in separate dishes, perfect for them. Food was great. Server was great at making recommendations. A bit noisy in the restaurant.Special Features:
- 4th Visitleeley18VIPDined on 8/7/2014And I will be back again!! I cant get enough of this place, this food, this pasta!! Love Love Love!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amocomidaVIPDined on 8/6/2014The food was good -- octopus was a little dry but the seafood soup was stupendous. The noise level was really high -- you couldn't hear the person across from you.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedschlimmerkerlDined on 8/4/2014Lunch with a colleague, but can't wait to try for dinner. From food to service, all the signs are there that indicate a very well-managed restaurant.Special Features:
- They did the right thing.JJ28VIPDined on 8/2/2014Had a great dinner here again. We asked them to wrap some leftover food up and they accidentally threw it away. The waiter told us that it was their fault and they recooked everything again and wrapped it up. They even remembered to make the minor tweaks we had asked for the first time. Food is always great and so is the service.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014Went here early on a Saturday night. Had a reservation. The restaurant wasn't crowded but they sat us right near the bathrooms. When I commented they didn't offer to move us. That set the tone. Otherwise, it's a nice little bistro. The pasta was fresh and very good. The capaletti was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We had our celebratory post-wedding lunch here and were extremely satisfied. It was a quiet, intimate setting for our guests with delicious food and gelato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2014Pasta was lovely, especially the torcia. Very unique shape and had a wonderful rich shrimp flavor. But some service problems made this a 3 star experience. First, we had to wait to be seated for our 8:30 reservation, and even though this contributed to us not ordering our food until 9:10 they would not allow us to take advantage of the $10 pasta after 9 pm deal on Monday nights, which felt like a very cheap move to our group. Secondly, the waitress charged us for an extra glass of wine. When we discovered the mistake the manager initially tried to explain it to us as a legitimate charge related to their glass and a half orders. Luckily the waitress came back and acknowledged her mistake. We felt the restaurant did take care of us well.Special Features:
- TerrificShawnVIPDined on 7/21/2014The experience at Osteria Morini never disappoints. The food and service is outstanding and the ambiance is great. More importantly, it is very consistent and the people who work here clearly want to be here, enjoy what they do, and do it very, very well. Go for the amazing pastas, or the grilled meats which are so simple but so tasty and not unlike what one might find in Italy. Have the zabaglione mousse for dessert and wonder why you don't come here more often! Congrats to everyone here for caring about what you do, maintaining a standard, and consistently providing a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let's work on the wine selectionsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/21/2014You'll feel almost like you've entered an osteria in Italy, however the price of wines will bring you quickly back to your real location - New York. Osteria Morini greets you warmly, the food comes out of the kitchen at a decent pace, the service is professional. The wine list could offer a few more selections under $60 considering the breadth of Italian wines. The 5 oz portion by the glass looks a tad under 5 oz making a $16 /glass charge seem ridiculous in an Osteria. This is my 4th time here and I'm not sure I'll go back. Price/value just seems a little out of whack these days.Special Features:
- DelishLinzDined on 7/19/2014The food was truly unbelievable... duck liver mousse and pasta we're delectable and I would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Chef White does it again!yourxserviceDined on 7/19/2014You can't go wrong with anything on the menu here. The pasta portions were a little on the small side but you won't mind because they are sooooo delicious. The skirt steak was also well seasoned and melts in your mouth. We also got a selection of cured meats. The prosciutto was AMAZING. Come here for brunch and pair it with a carafe of peach bellinis!Special Features:
- MoriniDVE285Dined on 7/16/2014Meager portions, general lack of graciousness. Not worth it, used to be better.