Osteria Morini - New York
218 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Osteria Morini - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
- Phone: 2129658777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5pm - 11:00pm; Thursday-Saturday: 5pm - 12:00am; Sunday 5pm - 11:00pm Interim Menu Served Everyday from 3:30 - 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael White
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We are serving a 4-course pre fix menu for Monday February 13th and Tuesday February 14th in recognition of Valentine's Day. It is $75 per person with a choice of appetizer, pasta, entree, and dessert from our regular dinner menu. We will also be offering specials that can also be included in the price-fixed menu. We will not be offering an a la carte dinner menu on these dates.
A word from Osteria Morini - New York
Osteria Morini - New York is a authentic rustic Italian restaurant by acclaimed and award winning Chef Michael White and the Altamarea Group. In Italian, “osteria” means a place where the owner “hosts” guests, and at Osteria Morini - New York Chef White continues this tradition of hospitality, transforming his first downtown restaurant into an authentic, old-world osteria with soulful food from the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osteria Morini - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)neighborhood gem (117)good for groups (75)hot spot (61)special occasion (55)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (47)romantic (35)late-night find (25)vibrant bar scene (24)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (20)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Unassuming Decor, Brilliant FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014I was blown away by the food and service at this little gem in Soho. I was expecting the restaurant to have a funkier design and it felt family friendly rather than edgy SoHo but once the food started coming, it didn't matter. The squid ink calamari on a bed of polenta to start was amazing as well as a selection of meats and cheeses. I had the capaletti (sp?) with black truffle and it was to die for. Wine was from Piemonte region of Italy and our server Madelina was excellent, and made two great recommendations in the sixty dollar range.Special Features:
- Overpricedchrissie1026Dined on 10/29/2014Food was mediocre and pricey. Drinks were expensive for manhattan and were half the size of any cocktail or glass of wine. Wine comes in a tiny cruet that they pour into your glass and its embarassing. waiter apologized. nine dollars for three thin triangles of cheese you would find in an oscar meyer lunch. really.
- AngelaDined on 10/26/2014Quality food and reasonably good service, but noisy and somewhat lacking in ambiance. If the setting is important, there are better options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time - same great impressionHellskitchenerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Went there the first time some time ago with a big group of friends. Their Bloody Mary's are truly amazing. Food is excellent (although a little pricey) and service is impeccable. I brought three friends last Sunday for brunch and had exactly same great impression. Good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant Italian food and restaurantfoodforthoughtDined on 10/25/2014One of the better quality Italian restaurants in the city. Place was still crowded and lively at 10pm on a Saturday night. The calamari and meat/cheese appetizers were simply done and incredibly fresh and flavorful. The handmade pasta dishes were also well done - except the vongole which fell slightly short of expectations. The cocktails were also simple yet done really well. Very extensive wine list from various parts of Italy. Great place for a special occasion or intimate gathering. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Incredible!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014I dined here on a Saturday evening with friends. What an incredible restaurant! I enjoyed the small intimate feel of the restaurant. Our waiter was wonderful, attentive, and friendly. The Food - absolutely the best Italian I've had in ages. I ordered the ricotta ravioli and it was heavenly! My fellow diners ordered other dishes and raved about them. I will definitely be back on my next visit to NYC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memeinthecityVIPDined on 10/25/2014A very amazing restaurant! Michael White is doing everything right.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Went there for a birthday (late lunch/early dinner). The staff was very attentive and gave many suggestions regarding wine selection and appretizers. The food was awesome! We've been a frequent patron of this establishment for the last few yrs. The pasta is fresh and to die for. They finally put the double Ny strip steak on the menu and that was cooked perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in the East VillageMusicalgalDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed everything we ordered from the lunch/brunch menu and appreciated the friendly, attentive service. As the restaurant filled up, the noise level rose slightly, but not to an objectionable level. If we lived in the neighborhood, we'd go there weekly.Special Features:
- FerHelVIPDined on 10/24/2014An outstanding restaurant for a delicious meal. The food was very good and the wine list with affordable price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Really great pastas. Portions on the smaller side. Loud fun restaurant. Good valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodpickyeatsDined on 10/24/2014If you want authentic fresh food and your taste buds know the difference, you will enjoy this restaurant. It is definitely a neighborhood place that takes pride in serving food as good as European fresh - as you can get in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visitCindyFoodiesVIPDined on 10/23/2014My husband and I love food from the Emilia region of Italy and this food is spot on - highly recommend the Branzino! We would definitely go back if we were locals to NYC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingfoodforthoughtDined on 10/23/2014I've eaten at many of Michael White's restaurants before and have always had a really good meal and a pleasant dining experience. In fact, I ate at Osteria Morini when it first opened and thought the food was really good [although the noise level made conversation a challenge.] This time food was really bad--the pasta Vongole was pretty tasteless [the pasta itself reminded me of ramen noodles.] The pork chop has huge globs of fat and little meat.
- AmazingMC25Dined on 10/21/2014The food was simply amazing. I went with a group of girls and we all ordered something diffferent and believe it or not one dish was better than the next!Special Features:
- Great italian in NYOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/21/2014Excellent, same as in previous times. Great pasta and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Tuscan food!ChefInTemeculaDined on 10/15/2014Great food. A little loud for my taste. But I can definitely get past the noise to enjoy the great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RafaelDined on 10/14/2014This is an outstanding Italian restaurant in SOHO. The Stracci and Torcia are exceptional.Special Features:
- great findmaganetVIPDined on 10/12/2014Loved this restaurant - great antipasti plates and pastas. Don't forget the tiramisu is just divine!Special Features:
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014we absolutely LOVED osteria morini!! service was fantastic and the food superb!! it made our 1 year anniversary that much more special :)Special Features:
- Best Italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014did a few reviews of the restaurant so we tried three of their most recommended dishes - Polpettini, Cappelletti, and PetronianaThe Polpettini - meatballs - were to die for as was the Cappelletti, which my wife and I believe was the best Italian pasta we have ever eaten. The Petroniana (veal cutlets ) was large portion of veal perfectly prepared. The three dishes and two bourbons cost $98, a bargain for such a great meal wherever you are and a miracle in NYCSpecial Features:
- Must tryNYCvisitorVIPDined on 10/11/2014Really extraordinary food and very reasonably pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014After a first amazing visit here I found nothing to recommend this time. Very unhappy.
- Perfect PastasrichieDined on 10/10/2014Atmosphere and decor are a recreation of old time Italian restaurants. But the cooking is modern and excellent. We stuck to apps and pastas as our main courses due to a late lunch elsewhere so se did not sample the main courses but the house-made pastas were uniformly excellent and creative. Our server was well-informed and very helpful. We will be back to delve deeper into the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!NYCgirlVIPDined on 10/4/2014I recently came to Osteria Morini for dinner with my boyfriend. Upon entering, we were greeted and brought to our table. The table unfortunately was placed in front of the kitchen door.. We didn't exactly like the loudness and the people running in and out, so we asked a passing waitress if it was possible to be seated at another table. She went to ask the maitre d' who came over and told us we could be moved over to a quieter table. We thanked her and tried to explain the loudness and she kind of just responded with, "Okay." I thought that was a little rude, but regardless we liked our new table and, more importantly, the food was excellent. Our waitress could have been a little friendlier though. Like the maitre d', she was rude.Special Features:
- Great italianpokeyanneDined on 10/3/2014My friends treated me to Osteria Morini for my birthday and we had a great time. Our server was professional and helpful. The food was excellent. We shared the arugula salad and crostini and the seafood antipasto to start and we each had pasta dishes for main course that were delicious. We had red wine and some cocktails with dinner. Overall, it was a very nice experience and I highly recommend it if you're a fan of pasta and wine.Special Features:
- azucarDined on 10/2/2014The food was delicious! Wish I could have eaten more.Service was great. I will definitely be back. The atmosphere was great. - not too loud. It was very quaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great experienceevadivaDined on 9/29/2014The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. I really appreciated the efforts made by the staff to accommodate my special requests made via open table. I was pleasantly surprised that we were not rushed either! I will definitely be going back. This is a great restaurant for so many different crowds like young professionals, couples, and older diners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osterini Morini does not disappointwinelvrDined on 9/28/2014What can I say? This was our second meal here and it was just as good as the first. Service is wonderful - attentive and knowledgeable. We started with the "Mare", a marinated seafood salad that was delicious and generous enough to share. We followed with "Stracci", ribbon pasta covered in beautiful rich sauce full of mushroomy goodness! The pasta was fresh and melt-in-your-mouth. We followed that with the "Grigliata Mista di Carne". The selections on this plate were so diverse but equally delicious and prepared to perfection. We opted for a cheese as dessert and were not disappointed. Our waiter suggested a delicious wine that was well within our budget and they made sure our glasses were never empty! Fabulous meal, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- E collect first visitnathbeckVIPDined on 9/27/2014First rate crostinis and 3 different excellent pasta with very nice service. Will add to our regular rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experiencefun2eatDined on 9/27/2014We had a 6 pm reservation on Saturday that we were running late for. Called ahead and the hostess said no problem, we'll hold your table. Arrived around 6:20 and seated immediately. Nice start. Our waitress Nicole came over, warmly greeted us, made some drink recommendations and told us to relax. It's getting better. We started with a cheese and meat platter, followed by calamari, grilled octopus and salad to share. While all were very good, the grilled octopus is probably the best I've had. The entrees were pasta and veal - incredible. Too bad we couldn't stay for dessert. The service and food make this the new favorite in Soho!Special Features:
- ExcellentSuseVIPDined on 9/26/2014We eat out often. This is the best fresh handmade pasta I have ever had. And the sauces were different than the normal Italian. Even though it was busy and loud our waiter was attentive friendly and helpful. Save room for the flavorful gelatos!Special Features:
- splendid dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Food was excellent. Decor was trendy. Ambiance was excellent. Not your typical Italian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceBobbyDined on 9/25/2014Food superb, wine list excellent, service attentive and very pleasant. We loved this spit.Special Features:
- DisappointedSweetbiteDined on 9/24/2014We had high hopes for this restaurant, and the service did not disappoint, but the gritty and old clams in our pasta con vongole (which we sent back), and the unevenly cooked pasta in the staff's highly recommended cappelletti were very disappointing. The tortellini in brodo were just plain tough. The brodetto was nicely presented(sans clams, per our informed request), and the shellfish therein were ok, but the broth did not excite. Fortunately, the selection of Italian wines (which we were able to taste before purchasing), and the focaccia, softened our annoyance at a distinctly disappointing meal.Special Features:
- Good food, good service...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014I think I might have my expectations a little high - not completely wowed as I imagined I would have been after reading the reviews. That being said, food was good, the whole table enjoyed all of theirs. The service was very accommodating as one of our guests was very late. Overall very enjoyable but something was a little lacking.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantJohnKVIPDined on 9/14/2014Osteria Morini is a great restaurant in the Soho neighborhood downtown New York. It was recommended by our hotel concierge and it certainly lived up to her description. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/14/2014Excellent food, Good service. A bit of sound proofing would make this a totally satisfying experienceSpecial Features:
- Swede2Dined on 9/10/2014This restaurant is a nice place to drop in when you're around Lafayette. Quick service, lots of people at the bar and good italian food. The wine list was long and we Lazio we picked was excellent with our food.Special Features:
- Great food, service needs a wake upSteakloverDined on 9/8/2014The menu offers fun variety and great portions to try many things for sharing. I loved the trout crostini, the antica Ragu and the peppers and onions were delicious. The service was slow. Even though we made a reservation we were immediately seated by the bathroom. I was so offended as the restaurant was 50% empty at 7 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.