Osteria Morini DC
301 Water Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Osteria Morini DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
- Phone: (202) 484-0660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday 11:30am-3pm
Dinner: Sunday 5pm-9pm
Monday through Thursday 5pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm-11pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11am-2:30pm
Happy Hour at the bar: Monday through Friday 4pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matthew Adler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Osteria Morini DC
Osteria Morini pays homage to the casual and rustic cuisine and ambiance of the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy. Osteria Morini is a casual Italian restaurant from Chef Michael White. In Italian, “osteria” means a place where the owner “hosts” guests, and at Osteria Morini, Chef White continues this tradition of hospitality, transforming his first Washington, D.C. restaurant into an authentic, old-world osteria with soulful food from the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Osteria Morini DC - Best Restaurants in Navy Yard ›
Osteria Morini DC reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (173)fit for foodies (168)scenic view (165)neighborhood gem (114)special occasion (108)good for groups (80)romantic (75)notable wine list (65)hot spot (64)great for lunch (64)great for brunch (44)vibrant bar scene (25)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (10)Show More
- Cold Food, Inconsistent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014The service started out as 'sketchy', but fortunately they seem to work on the team system so another waitress picked up to cover our 'not so attentive' waiter. A huge disappointment when the entrees arrived asnd they were 'tepid', slightly warmed, as if sitting for some time They couldn't have been sitting as they arrived quickly so they were either pre-prepped or were returns. We returned the food and left without having dinner. When you charge the prices they do, it is totally unacceptable. We have no reason to return.
- Excellent meal...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/16/2014This was one of the best meals I have had in the DC area in awhileSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch on November 16, 2014JeffVIPDined on 11/16/2014I had brunch at Morini on Novmber 16. We had a variety of dishes including the testa, crostini and panzanella. All of the food was first class and would easily return to Morini for any meal. The outdoor patio was not open (too cold) but I believe this would make a nice spot for warm weather dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively and tasteyhungryhipsterDined on 11/15/2014Osteria Morini was the site of my anniversary dinner. Me and my wife were from out of state and traveled to DC for the weekend. Morini is located in a hip and upcoming area. The restaurant is very contemporary in design. They played good music and served even better food. It was loud which sometimes made it hard to have conversation, but other than that I highly recommend Osteria Morini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryVIPDined on 11/15/2014First time here and very pleased with food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/13/2014Was out celebrating my husbands birthday and the restaurant did nothing special. Food was extremely salty and over cooked. Waiter suggested the tiramisu which I thought was going to be comped....nope wasn't comped for my husbands birthday. I will never go back or recommend to any of my friends.
- 8thStGuru8thStGuruDined on 11/13/2014This a a delighteful place for lunch, especially when the crowds aren't too big. Dinner, too, but noise levels can be substantial. In warm weather you can eat outside with some rather special views of the Anacaostia and Nats Ball Park. Staff are always helpful in describing dishes. Portions are generous. Parking can be difficult, so if you're travelilng by Metro this is a good find. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was slow and the food was not not goodchisolmgaDined on 11/12/2014I live in the area and I have dine at this restaurant several times. I have always taken out of town quest from my office to the restaurant. This time I felt the service was poor and quite slow. We went there on a Monday night and there was not a lot of people in the restaurant. My guest could not find anything on the menu that she liked and I did not like the dish I selected. It was disappointing.
- Overpriced and OverhypedRachelKDined on 11/8/2014I chose Osteria because everyone told me it was so great, so maybe I went in with too high of expectations. However, at the prices they are charging, I expect something more interesting. The food was good, but not amazing. Also, it seems like they're confused about their image, are they a romantic date night spot or a sports bar?
- Great Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Tried for the first time on Friday night - the burrata with grapefruit was amazing (would go back for this alone!) and both my husband's duck cavatelli and my seafood bucatini were delish.Special Features:
- Always awesomeKirstenADined on 11/7/2014OM has yet to fail us. Outstanding service. Great wine list. Fab food. Keep it up guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerViejoMajaderoVIPDined on 11/7/2014Wife and I visit DC a few times a year and when we can we book Morini. Of the last 6 or so visits we had the same waiter--- Alex. Alex is personable, and more important knowledgable breaking down each special or menu items perfectly. Found most menu items interesting and enjoyable. During this last visit, while I did clean my plate, I had a dish that I just do not get. I found the Tonno dish disjointed and feel it should be removed or revamped. The tuna was cooked perfectly but the overall the flavors left me wanting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UffoodDined on 11/3/2014We had gnocchi, carbonara and sea food pasta, all very good and prices were reasonable. We will definitely go upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceMattyspencahDined on 11/2/201410/10 on everything about this place. One qualm: it was too bright. Buy some shades for those windows! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedphadelsteinDined on 11/1/2014Lovely ambience. Waiter looked stressed, bored. He rallied, and while he and the hostess tried to compensate, they got the orders mixed up and it ended up that two (out of four) of the entrees came out much later than the other two. They gave us more of the food that had already been served to share with those who had not been served yet. And apologized profusely. Weird. I could have ignored all that, but my meal was just fair! Pasta sauce was a bit gummy (carbanara) and non-descript. Noodles looked like they came out of a Kraft box. The salad was very good (arugula) and we had a good time, but it wasn't a knock out to be sure. The white chocolate/caramel etc. pudding was nice, but not very flavorful. I feel badly writing this.
- Great Additionfoodie1VIPDined on 11/1/2014Osteria Morini is a great addition to DC ...really a great looking space. They have a large selection of interesting starters that are quite good. The pasta was not as good as we would have expected, however. The wine list seemed a bit pricey . Overall, though, a very good dining experience..especially because of the outstanding, engaging and knowledgeable server we had.Special Features:
- Comfort and ServiceEJD3Dined on 10/31/2014This was my second time dining at Osteria Morini. Incredible location, wonderful service. Food was very good, verging on great. Too many hard surfaces; noise level would be much more tolerable with sound-absorbing materials. Menu prices for food were appropriate; wine list seemed overpriced.Special Features:
- Another great mealKarinJDined on 10/30/2014I went to Osteria Morini for the second time in a week and it was just as great! I had the wonderful Burrata again, followed by a sweet sea bass cooked to perfection and delicious mushroom pasta. Instead of wine, this time I had a very good IPA. There is something for everyone here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay?MarcVIPDined on 10/25/2014Decent, but the place goes dead after 10pm. I assume that's because of it's location and no one wants to be stuck there any later. It's a destination. On a cool summer night, worth the trip. Food is as average as average can be. Drinks are good, servers are good. Atmosphere is formulaic.Special Features:
- Great SpotJuliaVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place is great but a little pricey so it's definitely more of a 'special occasion' place. That said, the food was phenomenal, the wine was great, and the service was outstanding. We tried three of the cheeses as an appetizer and then I had the farro salad and the rigatoni with mushrooms as a main course. One of my friends had the arugula salad (which I wish I had ordered) and the gramigna pasta, and my other friend had the duck breast, which melts in your mouth. We shared the budino for dessert, highly recommend!Special Features:
- Fabulous, delicious, great serviceNadiaDined on 10/24/2014The service was outstanding, the food was phenomenal and fresh fresh fresh and delicious, everything is as best as it can be. I just wish they serve the traditional tomatoes/fresh mozzarella/basil salad thing, but good all around. The view is breathtaking.Special Features:
- has potentialLoveagreatmealDined on 10/22/2014looked forward to dining here for months prior...apps came out before wine service... the four of us felt as if we were forgotten about repeatedly throughout the meal...VERY expensive meal for lackadaisical serviceSpecial Features:
- Great food!KarinJDined on 10/22/2014Of all the new resturants I've tried this year this is the best. So many new places have opened with interesting menus. But the cooking doesn't always deliver. At Osteria Mornini everything we had was absolutley delicious. Meatball antipasti with great sauce and burrata with figs. I need to come back to try some more entrees. Everything was skillfully prepared and presented. Service was attentive and friendly. Wine list is very good. Chocolate cake with caramel was explosively yummy!Special Features:
- Always excellentMDGrDined on 10/19/2014I have dined here several times and even though my favorite menu items can be rotated out it always seems to get better. Never had one bad item or server or bartender or hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionHHainesVIPDined on 10/11/2014Even though we walked in late, we were warmly greeted and spent a wonderful evening at this amazing restaurant. It lived up to the hype of its New York twin and then some. The food was incredible and every bite was truly one that I savored. From the bread to the wine to the amazing pastas--it was all delicious. The service was responsive and knowledgeable, making excellent suggestions and checking in without hovering. The only slight negative is that our table felt in the way and often jostled between servers and customers alike. But a very small price to pay for such a fantastic place. The view of the waterfront makes this a special gem--not only for the neighborhood, but for DC at large.Special Features:
- Osteria Morini Molto Bene!RichDined on 10/11/2014Our third visit to Osteria Morini -- this time for an early weekend lunch -- more than met our high expectations. Creativity plus lack of pretension equals a fine dining experience. Delicious food; warm, efficient, unobtrusive service; and a great river view -- what more could one ask? Order a pitcher of house wine and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Delicious!KatherineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our pastas were both amazing and we also had an incredible salad. Everything else coming out of the kitchen looked great too!Special Features:
- What Happened?!?washdscDined on 10/10/2014For the second time in a row, Osteria Morini was a disappointment. Once again, they did not seem ready for the crowd. Last time I went, a Nats game had ended around dinner time, and all staff were slammed with walk in guests. The waitress was efficient but she did not have any time to really serve all guests as much as she could have. The food arrived a little late, but not to the point that it ruined our meal. Fast forward to this past Friday night and again, full capacity. We waited 10 extra minutes past our reservation time- no biggie. But the lengthy wait for the food, and once again, staff who were slammed with too many guests, and too busy to care made it an overall sad dining experience. Management: don't overbook guests.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We visited Osteria Morini because we had discovered it right behind Ice Cream Jubilee. The food is fantastic. We had two pasta dishes and two desserts. The desserts are incredible and sized generously. The restaurant was loud enough to make conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't know what happened...?ThePerfectPearVIPDined on 10/10/2014I felt like I was dining in another country. Was there something I was missing? Everything we ordered was served seperately and we never received our vegetable. Did you think it was desert? Was there a cultural norm I was unaware of? Why did they keep replacing our plates with new ones? The wait staff seemed afraid to talk with the customers, but hovered around the tables, focused on their concerns, but not the customers. It's too bad, because most of the food that made it to our table was pretty good and the location was outstanding. Also, it took three hours to get an appetizer, a pasta and an entre. If you go here, go with low expectations, but with so many amazing restaurants in the DC area, why would you bother.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLove2EatDined on 10/10/2014We went as a group of 6 and decided to share food. The waitress was very helpful in offering suggestions as to her favorites, guest favorites, and items she thought would pair well together. The parmigiano gelato just melts in your mouth. The duck liver mousse was very creamy and tasty. For our pasta course we tried the capeletti, gramigna, and the one with sea urchin in it. The first two were amazing. The sea urchin pasta was good, but our group did not care for the sea urchin itself. That said, based on all the other food it was probably done very well, we just didn't care for the urchin. We also tried the branzino, the veal chop, and the short ribs. All delectable. Overall a wonderful experience and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 10/9/2014Food was good and the view of the river is very nice. I was with a basic food/basic restaurant group and it was not easy to decipher the menu and the prices seemed high.Special Features:
- OutstandingdcsapperVIPDined on 10/9/2014Once again Osteria Morini was very good for an official business outing. The food is simply wonderful and the wine list matches the food exquisitely.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The fresh pasta was excellent. With outdoor seating right on the water, this restaurant has a lot to offer.Special Features:
- Usually great, except when busyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014On busy nights, the staff and kitchen seem sloppy.Special Features:
- Nice Place Feh serviceBorinquenWonderDined on 10/3/2014We went to Osteria Morini before the Nats Friday playoff game and had a very pleasant time. We had meatballs and kale salad as appetizers and portions were plentiful and tasty. I had the ravioli with cheese and truffles which was delicious and plentiful. Our waiter was very capable but had far too many patrons to take care of. We would like to go back again and it has both inside and outside tables with a view of the mighty Anacostia which was a plus. (Who would believe a view of the long downtrodden Anacostia would be a plus?) All in all a good experience except the game and the lunch combos are a good deal at $19 and $25 respectively for two courses.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The food was okay, nothing to rave about. Every course took forever to come out, even the drinks. Didn't see server very often, relied on other staff to assist. I had heard such good things, and was such a disappointment.
- DeliciousDsovaDined on 9/28/2014Only disappointment was my selection of wine.$56 bottle was disappointing. My fault not theirs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!JCinDCVIPDined on 9/28/2014We dined Al fresco style since the weather was perfect and everything was great--the service, the ambiance and of course, the food. We have been before but had out of town guests with us who have not and they thought it was amazing Italian food. The braised short ribs were fork tender and flavored just right; the pastas were all wonderful and the portions are just right, too. We were lucky to have eaten outside that evening-the inside of the restaurant was freezing and it was warmer outdoors! We look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:
- Food was good,service was terrible!JimmieDined on 9/28/2014The location by the waterfront was great. It was a nice evening so we say outside. We knew service was going to be poor when we saw other diners who had been sitting, not order drinks yet. It took a while to get our drink order so we ordered dinner at same time. Our salads came out before our drinks did. The main course took a while. They showed us dessert menu but since it took so long to come back for our order we decided not to order.Special Features: