Osteria Morini DC
301 Water Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Osteria Morini DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.osteriamorini.com/
- Phone: 2024840660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday 11:30am-3pm
Dinner: Sunday 5pm-9pm
Monday through Thursday 5pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 5pm-11pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11am-2:30pm
Happy Hour at the bar: Monday through Friday 4pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Matthew Adler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Osteria Morini DC
Osteria Morini pays homage to the casual and rustic cuisine and ambiance of the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy. Osteria Morini is a casual Italian restaurant from Chef Michael White. In Italian, “osteria” means a place where the owner “hosts” guests, and at Osteria Morini, Chef White continues this tradition of hospitality, transforming his first Washington, D.C. restaurant into an authentic, old-world osteria with soulful food from the Emilia-Romagna region of Northern Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Osteria Morini DC - Best Restaurants in Navy Yard ›
Osteria Morini DC reviews from OpenTable diners
276 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (183)scenic view (170)fit for foodies (166)neighborhood gem (110)special occasion (101)good for groups (83)romantic (70)notable wine list (67)hot spot (59)great for lunch (59)great for brunch (43)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (13)Show More
- Always excellentMDGrDined on 10/19/2014I have dined here several times and even though my favorite menu items can be rotated out it always seems to get better. Never had one bad item or server or bartender or hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionHHainesVIPDined on 10/11/2014Even though we walked in late, we were warmly greeted and spent a wonderful evening at this amazing restaurant. It lived up to the hype of its New York twin and then some. The food was incredible and every bite was truly one that I savored. From the bread to the wine to the amazing pastas--it was all delicious. The service was responsive and knowledgeable, making excellent suggestions and checking in without hovering. The only slight negative is that our table felt in the way and often jostled between servers and customers alike. But a very small price to pay for such a fantastic place. The view of the waterfront makes this a special gem--not only for the neighborhood, but for DC at large.Special Features:
- Osteria Morini Molto Bene!RichDined on 10/11/2014Our third visit to Osteria Morini -- this time for an early weekend lunch -- more than met our high expectations. Creativity plus lack of pretension equals a fine dining experience. Delicious food; warm, efficient, unobtrusive service; and a great river view -- what more could one ask? Order a pitcher of house wine and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Delicious!KatherineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our pastas were both amazing and we also had an incredible salad. Everything else coming out of the kitchen looked great too!Special Features:
- What Happened?!?washdscDined on 10/10/2014For the second time in a row, Osteria Morini was a disappointment. Once again, they did not seem ready for the crowd. Last time I went, a Nats game had ended around dinner time, and all staff were slammed with walk in guests. The waitress was efficient but she did not have any time to really serve all guests as much as she could have. The food arrived a little late, but not to the point that it ruined our meal. Fast forward to this past Friday night and again, full capacity. We waited 10 extra minutes past our reservation time- no biggie. But the lengthy wait for the food, and once again, staff who were slammed with too many guests, and too busy to care made it an overall sad dining experience. Management: don't overbook guests.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We visited Osteria Morini because we had discovered it right behind Ice Cream Jubilee. The food is fantastic. We had two pasta dishes and two desserts. The desserts are incredible and sized generously. The restaurant was loud enough to make conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't know what happened...?ThePerfectPearVIPDined on 10/10/2014I felt like I was dining in another country. Was there something I was missing? Everything we ordered was served seperately and we never received our vegetable. Did you think it was desert? Was there a cultural norm I was unaware of? Why did they keep replacing our plates with new ones? The wait staff seemed afraid to talk with the customers, but hovered around the tables, focused on their concerns, but not the customers. It's too bad, because most of the food that made it to our table was pretty good and the location was outstanding. Also, it took three hours to get an appetizer, a pasta and an entre. If you go here, go with low expectations, but with so many amazing restaurants in the DC area, why would you bother.
- Excellent Food and ServiceLove2EatDined on 10/10/2014We went as a group of 6 and decided to share food. The waitress was very helpful in offering suggestions as to her favorites, guest favorites, and items she thought would pair well together. The parmigiano gelato just melts in your mouth. The duck liver mousse was very creamy and tasty. For our pasta course we tried the capeletti, gramigna, and the one with sea urchin in it. The first two were amazing. The sea urchin pasta was good, but our group did not care for the sea urchin itself. That said, based on all the other food it was probably done very well, we just didn't care for the urchin. We also tried the branzino, the veal chop, and the short ribs. All delectable. Overall a wonderful experience and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 10/9/2014Food was good and the view of the river is very nice. I was with a basic food/basic restaurant group and it was not easy to decipher the menu and the prices seemed high.Special Features:
- OutstandingdcsapperVIPDined on 10/9/2014Once again Osteria Morini was very good for an official business outing. The food is simply wonderful and the wine list matches the food exquisitely.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014The fresh pasta was excellent. With outdoor seating right on the water, this restaurant has a lot to offer.Special Features:
- Usually great, except when busyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014On busy nights, the staff and kitchen seem sloppy.Special Features:
- Nice Place Feh serviceBorinquenWonderDined on 10/3/2014We went to Osteria Morini before the Nats Friday playoff game and had a very pleasant time. We had meatballs and kale salad as appetizers and portions were plentiful and tasty. I had the ravioli with cheese and truffles which was delicious and plentiful. Our waiter was very capable but had far too many patrons to take care of. We would like to go back again and it has both inside and outside tables with a view of the mighty Anacostia which was a plus. (Who would believe a view of the long downtrodden Anacostia would be a plus?) All in all a good experience except the game and the lunch combos are a good deal at $19 and $25 respectively for two courses.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The food was okay, nothing to rave about. Every course took forever to come out, even the drinks. Didn't see server very often, relied on other staff to assist. I had heard such good things, and was such a disappointment.
- DeliciousDsovaDined on 9/28/2014Only disappointment was my selection of wine.$56 bottle was disappointing. My fault not theirs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal!JCinDCVIPDined on 9/28/2014We dined Al fresco style since the weather was perfect and everything was great--the service, the ambiance and of course, the food. We have been before but had out of town guests with us who have not and they thought it was amazing Italian food. The braised short ribs were fork tender and flavored just right; the pastas were all wonderful and the portions are just right, too. We were lucky to have eaten outside that evening-the inside of the restaurant was freezing and it was warmer outdoors! We look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:
- Food was good,service was terrible!JimmieDined on 9/28/2014The location by the waterfront was great. It was a nice evening so we say outside. We knew service was going to be poor when we saw other diners who had been sitting, not order drinks yet. It took a while to get our drink order so we ordered dinner at same time. Our salads came out before our drinks did. The main course took a while. They showed us dessert menu but since it took so long to come back for our order we decided not to order.Special Features:
- Gotta love those mimosas!LauraVIPDined on 9/28/2014We had a delicious brunch prior to a Nats game. There is a unique way to enjoy mimosas, bottle of prosecco and your choice of 2 different juices. The blood orange is yummy. Very interesting choices for brunch. I had the maple mascarpone pancakes and 2 of us had the soft boiled eggs which were all great. I'm anxious to go back and try dinner sometime.Special Features:
- Good food, not so good serviceFancyPantsDined on 9/27/2014I've been to this restaurant about 4 times since it's opening. The food is very good; pasta portions are small and a bit pricey, but worth it. We enjoy sitting outside because of the great view of the riverfront, but don't go when it's dark outside. The restaurant is not well lit for outside dinning. It was very dark. It would be made better if candles were on the tables. The service here is consistently slow. We wait a long time to receive dinner menus and the wine list after being seated. We waited a long time to put in our order. The servers don't come back to check on the food after it's delivered. Don't bother asking for anything additional either, like crushed red pepper. You'll never receive it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Game TreatSkitripper1VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was great; and the outdoor seating and eating was great. The service was slow and they seemed to struggle with the post game crowds that descends on the restaurant. The outdoor options are the best, although tables are packed in. The inner restaurant was loud and difficult to hear one another; could simply be the din of a Saturday night, but the acoustics make it louder than it seems. That said, the food was wonderful and we will return again with or without a preamble with the Nationals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatEchoVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good food but not excellent. It was hit and miss and I also understand why everyone has been complaining about the service. They did not have enough waitstaff on.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and authenticwandawilesVIPDined on 9/24/2014Real Italian food from Emilia-Romagna, rich and delicious made with high quality ingredients. Wine list has some unusual and very tasty lesser known wines to US folk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to DC dining sceneGPVDinnerVIPDined on 9/23/2014True it is not Marea, but Osteria Marini delivers an amazing meal in a city expecting great Italian food. Not a easy task at all although they have done it and you can expect they will even do better in the near future.Special Features:
- Very goodBillVIPDined on 9/21/2014Was excited to try this place and it lived up to expectations. A great addition to a burgeoning neighborhood.Special Features:
- Super brunchPleasedVIPDined on 9/21/2014Excellent place for Sunday brunch. Great view of the river, efficient service, and wonderful food. The ricotta pancakes are sensational - a "must have."Special Features:
- Seriously good italiananagramaVIPDined on 9/20/2014While the vibe outside is casual, the food here ranks with the best Italian in the city--close to Obelisk-quality sourcing with a wider range of deliciousness on the menu. Add to this brilliant menu a view of the sunset over the river; a chance to observe a waterfront redevelopment project bringing beauty, play and jobs to a once-blighted part of the city; and a wait staff that warmly welcomes all comers (including our our mobility-impaired elderly guest); and you have yourself one golden D.C. evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- willgoanywhereforfoodDined on 9/20/2014Sitting outside and watching the people and the water while eating great pasta. A great combination. Service was very good. The kitchen even provided a side dish of vegetables when asked which is normally not on the lunch menu.Special Features:
- Second time isn't a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014I went to Morini when it first opened and had a memorable meal that had me sending colleagues and friends down to the Navy Yard for dinner. I was thrilled when friends suggested going on a Tuesday night. The food was still very good, but the service was lack luster, at best, and given that there was almost no one there, it was surprising. One thing that I thought was a nice touch on my first outing was how they handled leftovers. Once they left the table they went to the coat check. I was given a tag to claim them at the end of the evening. No so this time. They have the food down and a location that is great . . . don't forget the service!Special Features:
- Tasted like ItalySeeFoodDietDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I were looking for a place to go for a bite after the Nats game to celebrate our anniversary. I was intrigued by the look of the food in the photos on their website. It looked like dishes you'd actually get in Italy. Sure enough, the food actually tasted like something you'd get in Italy. Seriously, the tagliatelle brought me right back to my childhood summers spent in Europe. I would go back in a heart beat for the food. The only thing I wasn't happy about was having to wait even though we made a reservation. That is a huge pet peeve of mine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southernfoodiesVIPDined on 9/10/2014We had decent food for our group of six: good steak, lasagne was so-so, delicious capelletti, fantastic grilled asparagus. The service was SLOW, because it was a post-game Nats crowd. Our water was refilled once. It was a long time until the first course came, and a long time to wait for the main course. I loved this place last time we dined, but it will be a while until we come back.Special Features:
- Always Excellent!AlexfoodieDined on 9/9/2014Without a doubt, one of the best dining experiences I've had in DC! Attentive service and perfectly prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, needs some workNeighborVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was very good, however the service was slow and inattentive. We had to ask for our waiter to order drinks, then to get our drinks, then to order our food...and the restaurant was not crowded. Either the bar and kitchen are too slow or there is not enough staff, or both. These are things that can be fixed, and I hope they will work on it. The location is great, with views of the Anacostia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and delightfulrk6901Dined on 9/7/2014I don't usually go Italian for brunch, but this was the perfect place. Happened in on the most beautiful day, so the usually gorgeous view was stunning. Good bloody marys. Nice option for mimosas - buy a bottle of prosecco, mix and match small carafes of juices. A-mazing ricotta pancakes. And my friends' picks seemed equally delicious.Special Features:
- Food, Italian; Ambiance, NOTIlCuocoDined on 9/6/2014While both antipasti and pietanze are acceptable recreations of Italian standards, the noise level in the restaurant detracts from an Italian dining experience. The branzino was delicious, the brodetto outstanding. The prosecco-enhanced sorbetto to is far below the Italian standard. Evenings here, based on two visits, are more the US bar, happy-hour scene than the typical Italian osteria. (For the past fifteen years, I have spent about half the year in Italy and have a pretty good feel for Italian dining from the top to bottom of the Boot.) Don't go if you want to have a quiet, conversational evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningSammyDVIPDined on 9/3/2014My husband and I took my mom, who was visiting, out to dinner here for our special night out. The experience was lovely. We sat outside overlooking the Yards Park and the Anacostia River - for those who haven't yet visited that beautiful area - it's time to make the trip. And with places like Osteria Morini to enjoy a lovely meal at, it's a wonderful way to spend an evening and sunset. Everything we ordered was divine, from the trio of crostini spreads to the shared pastas and mixed grill - we will definitely be going back for other special occasions.Special Features:
- Don't miss the ricotta pancakesSuitelifeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Returned to OM for a second visit, this time it was brunch, after having a delightful lunch here in March 2014. Ricotta pancakes with homemade raspberry jam is what you should order. Very moist. No syrup needed!! The four of us also shared a quite nice pastry basket. Great view of the Anacostia River. Recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014as usual the food was fabulous. the lasagna was spectacular -- light and the thinnest pasta sheets imaginable. the bass special with summer tomatoes and vinaigrette and chilis was amazing. so were the short ribs. and the chocolate budino with salted caramel was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good food/setting/attentive staffG2G8RDined on 8/29/2014We scored - great location for an outdoor concert on the Potomac - made for an exceptional experience. Somewhat pricey yet our dishes were quite well prepared. Our wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable of the menu items - therefore quite helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and location.DCDinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Morini has one of the best locations in the city for outdoor dining, on the Anacostia at Yards Park. Dinner for two at sun down was a wonderful way to try Morini, especially when a band was playing in the park. We split 5 dishes, all very good. Recommend the grilled octopus with lentils and fish special,of the day. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Capitol Riverfront GemAnItalianExperienceVIPDined on 8/29/2014The ambiance is amazing! The food is authentic and scrumptious!!Special Features: