166 Franklin Street
Buffalo, NY 14202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osteriabuffalo.com/
- Phone: 7168583118x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Jeff Cooke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Amaze your guests with our on- and off-site catering, which includes hors d’oeuvres, party platters, sandwiches & wraps, buffets, family style, sit down or your own private chef. Our goal is to produce memorable events taking into consideration clients' individual needs and budget. Personal attention to detail will ensure that your event is a true success. Contact us today to learn more about our catering packages, pricing, reservation information and more!
- Entertainment: Friday Night Live Music!
- Special Events: Your location for special events, from a quiet dinner to meetings, presentations, product rollouts and fundraisers. We are here for you to make your event seamless and make you look like a star!
A word from Osteria 166
Situated in the heart of the beautiful downtown City of Buffalo, New York. Osteria 166 offers a wide variety of options For Lunch, Dinner and Catering. Stop in and enjoy the food, the drinks and the people. Come be part of OUR FAMILY!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Osteria 166 - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
Osteria 166 reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (35)hot spot (32)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (29)great for lunch (24)romantic (20)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Very unique and delicious menuFoodieDined on 8/30/2014Great presentation, tasy food with a warm and inviting atmosphereSpecial Features:
- always greatdubroDined on 8/29/2014Great food great drinks great service! You can get a high end meal but can still dress casually which I love after dressing up all week for work. Very laid back with the owner and head chef regularly bringing out food to tables and seeing that everything is good. Give them a try you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightGoodFoodieDined on 8/29/2014Oyster is is just right for its downtown Buffalo spot--something for everyone, everything of high quality.Special Features:
- An Italian Pub ???? Great Idea !!!!JohnMcTDined on 8/23/2014Want Italian food with a Twist? Try their Chicken and Waffles, their breading uses Polenta. Half a huge chicken that has an incredible tasting breading that is perfectly crisp. The trick is the chicken itself is still extremely juicy. I had a Carbonara dish that was done properly without cream. Remember to mix that egg yolk on top before eating, it is amazing. The bar had appetizers on a side counter and the Bills game on the TV. Crowd was 20-30's with a vibe that indicated that they were regulars. The restaurant is LOUD, but it adds to the ambiance. Service is attentive but not to the point you want to say "Leave me alone". If the dinner menu is any indication, lunch should be great. I just can't tick the box as we did dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantdeefDined on 8/22/2014Great food, ambiance and service. Would definitely recommend and will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodMeeganDined on 8/15/2014Excellent food. Highly attentive service. The only drawback is the noise.Special Features:
- Great Food, Shaky ServiceRyanDined on 8/11/2014Osteria 166 has some of my favorite food in Buffalo, as well as a fairly strong wine list (albeit, I am no whino). However, the service leaves something to be desired. During our most recent visit, we had 7:45p reservations, and although we showed up on time, it took multiple hosts / hostesses to seat us by 8:00p. I was frequently passed by and asked to "just wait just a little bit more." Service at the table was significantly better, although I am very over the "deliberately slow" dining experience. I do not need to take 3 hours to eat 3 courses. Also, one of our orders was forgotten (although very quickly reconciled). All in all - I continue to go back for some amazing Italian food, and the hope that service will improve.Special Features:
- Spaghetti and MeatballsCeeCeeVIPDined on 8/11/2014Something I would not usually order but it was highly recommended by one of my friends who dined there the day before. The dish was perfect, from the al dente hand made pasta to the incredible tomato gravy and the monster delicious meat ball with a dollop of mascarpone cheese. YUM! All the menu items come in two sizes and are very reasonably priced. Went there twice!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Very uncomfortable crammed seating and tables unless you are in a larger group. Not great for two people by any means...expensive for what the food was like...bartender was very nice though. Server was only with us a few moments but she was nice at least.
- Goodeats2sweettreatsDined on 8/9/2014Good food for the price,like the bread served in paper bags with the dipping oil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great, but our server was very slow and inattentive. We waited over 45 minutes for our appetizer and hostess on the phone was not polite. Would most likely not come back due to serviceSpecial Features:
- First timeFirstTime34Dined on 8/9/2014The service was excellent. Our waitress was very sweet and did a fantastic job. I said yes when asked if we wanted to eat out side, and I was a little disappointed. Table was very wabbly. I felt like I was just eating at a random table on a sidewalk. No real ambience. Food was ok. The presentation looked a bit rushed. I got a grilled chicken salad, it was very fresh and chicken was moist and cooked perfectly. My husband got chicken lasagna and mozzarella bread and it tasted just mediocre. Pasta was under cooked and sauce was too heavy.
- Noisy and MediocreHungryManDined on 8/8/2014Bad acoustics ruined our mediocre meal. There was an extremely loud group near us headed by a red-faced drinker. However, from the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were anticipating a super meal despite the uncomfortable and poor atmosphere. Three out of the four main courses were just average. The fourth meal was actually good. But, we will not be returning.
- Great food, ambience & serviceMADaboutFoodDined on 8/2/2014The menu was creative and our food delicious. Waitress had excellent knowledge of the menu items and made good suggestions. Everyone was "wowed" by the presentation and taste of each appetizer and entrée. And we had our forks on each other's plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014This was our second time to Osteria 166 and we will absolutely go back. The Service was a bit slower this visit and our server was not as attentive as the last but the experience was still great. The food was excellent both times. We chose chicken lasagna and pasta carbonara and they were delicious. The decor is great and the ambiance is energetic although it can get a bit loud due to the small dining area. I highly recommend Osteria 166 for a great meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found it.foodiefamilyDined on 8/1/2014My family (2 adults and an 11 year old) were in Buffalo for a couple of days to visit Niagara Falls and decided to say in Buffalo because we wanted to be able to try out the restaurant scene. In part we selected the restaurant because it scored near the top of the list in Tripadvisor, also because we could walk from our hotel. It was a great find! Overall we loved everything about it, and we are all appreciative of top quality dining. It is noisy, hard for a small group to have a conversation, but on the other hand the place was full (bar and restaurant). There is nothing to absorb the sound, hard floors, older brick or concrete building, so maybe some sound absorbing pads would help. Food was great, service attentive.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014This was my third visit to Osteria 166. My husband and I came with two friends before a concert. Everything was delicious! Our Server gave great recommendations, our meals were wonderful and the atmosphere fun. We will all definetly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but noiseyISCDtravelerDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good, but the noise level was high. It was very hard to have a conversation with the person across from you. The service was a bit slow, but they were busy. However, I shouldn't have had to ask twice to have my water refilled. It was a nice touch having the manager/owner come over and ask how everything was.Special Features:
- Review from an ItalianrobebryantDined on 7/25/2014I'm actually italian so I tend to stay away from the "italian" restaurant in the US since they're full of fake italian food but this one is really good. There is a good selection of wines and, for a non wine drinkers like me, an even better selection of original cocktails. This place is definitely good even for just drinks. For the food, I liked the variety, the menu isn't very long but there is a good mix of pasta, seafood and meat. The most important thing is that the dishes are actually italian and were very tasty. Only disappointment I couldn't find the pasta with bolognese sauce that I tried 2 weeks earlier at Buffalo foodfest. That reminded me of home, so I was hoping to get it. Good choice of desserts and the service was great.Special Features:
- Nice nightJplateDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I enjoyed an enjoyable dinner at Osteria. The food was very good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We had the pasta bolognese and the chickens and waffles, both of which were very good. The service was slow but friendly. Overall very good.Special Features:
- thediningduoDined on 7/19/2014Mussel's had great flavor but were small in size for "in season" sea food. Loved the whole bread in a bag idea it was a fun little twist. Décor was inviting, and the wait staff were all very friendly. The homemade pasta was delicious and cooked perfectly. Would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Food and service was delightful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Nick, owner, strolled the dining room and very pleasant, genuine, caring and interactive with the customers. It is always nice when the owner takes an active interest in the food quality, service and overall experience of their guests. Server was knowledgeable, pleasant and engaging. Overall, an exceptional experience. The ambiance is quite energetic and may tend to be a little noisy on a very busy night. We were there on a Saturday night and the restaurant and bar were quite busy all evening which is great to see! A crowd like this is indicative of a special place that has a reliable quality and experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerKimMDined on 7/19/2014We loved this place! My sister and myself came from out of town and wanted a nice meal out. We went here based on the reviews. It lived up to all the reviews. The carbonara dish was especially amazing.Special Features:
- DisappointedcrazydogladyDined on 7/18/2014Heard good things and read good reviews but was sadly disappointed. Run down space that was incredibly loud for not being real crowded. Burrata with toast and stewed tomato appetizer... I would suggest ditching the canned stewed tomatoes and roast your own fresh tomatoes. Bolognese was dry. The best of the evening was the swordfish special. Moist, good flavor and cooked just right. I doubt we'll go back.
- Great food friendly staffFrancisco79Dined on 7/11/2014We tried a few appetizer and they were great portion size. Food was great and there's a great outdoor seating. With live music on Fridays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableJunior99Dined on 7/10/2014We were a group of 8 for dinner. Food was delicious, service was great, we could talk to each other w/o screaming. As we were leaving a band was setting up, looked like fun, but we were exhausted, next time we will stay for the music. Lovely time, would recommend Osteria to anyone and everyone. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in BuffalodateniteDined on 7/9/2014We absolutely loved the food at Osteria 166! Our meals were fresh and exciting.. and at that price point....perfection! It was loud, but most likely a reflection of the excitement of the pre JT concert crowd that was there. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal despite set backFeedMeDined on 7/7/2014Had the Steamed Mussels as an appetizer and they were delicious and well prepared. I ordered the Chicken and Waffles, while my friend had the Red Snapper special. Unfortunately, my chicken was slightly under-cooked (as can be expected sometimes with thick bone-in chicken), the server promptly returned my dish and new one was brought out shortly after. The concept is great but the waffles were a little dense and dry, begging for more sauce as a vehicle. The polenta crust on the chicken was great. The Red Snapper was superb and the pesto pasta incredible. Received complimentary zeppolli for the inconvenience of my dish which were very good. Overall, good dinner despite the slight execution problem. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Disappointing this timeBuffdinerDined on 6/30/2014I had been to this restaurant for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed it, but this time I was far from impressed. The beet and arugula salad came with no truffle oil and had three dime sized dollops of goat cheese. Greens were fresh and beets were well cooked on the positive side. I doubt the salume was house made as advertised on the menu on the antipasti. And the presentation was laughable. The cutting board was way to small to showcase the selection on the board. And the meats were the quality of a corner store deli. My companions crab cake was, according to her, just ok... way too much filler. It was very busy and that might have been the reason for the slow but adequate service.
- great food and serviceiluvfoodDined on 6/28/2014Food and service were excellent. My only suggestion is no chicken broth in the risotto. Parmesan risotto is just as good with veg broth! And make your cheese board an everyday item. It's fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers & we'll be back!SammiDined on 6/27/2014Four of us arived on a Friday evening to friendly, accomplished bartenders. Enjoyed martinis at the bar before moving to our table- had made reservations. Oyster appetizer was excellent, as was the stuffed pepper. Two ordered ribeye steaks as an entre and were pleased. I had a chicken with angel hair, and the last person had the eggplant stuffed ravioli. Both of us were happy we chose pasta as it was an appropriate sized portion and prepared well. I ordered the ricotta dessert, as that ingredient I cannot get enough of in dessert form! It was small, rich, and superb! Our table also shared the chocolate tower cake which was delicious, and brought gasps when presented to us - big and rich! Appropriate live music, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageCowboyxDined on 6/21/2014We sat outside. There was a very loud and obxious table. It seem like they were from out of town and had something to do with something being judged. They said they were there for over 4 hours and were drinking the whole time. The restaurant was out of a lot of specials. Ave time. Drinks very expensive.Special Features:
- Great food wish the service was tooLuv2chewDined on 6/21/2014The food was excellent. We tried some amazing appetizers which included oysters and their house made burrata and charred breads. Both were excellent. We all ordered off the evenings special menu. The dishes were delicious. The only complaint was the service. It seemed like they were short staffed and it was a busy Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryellenDined on 6/21/2014Great food. Very noisy while dining. Love the service So many great choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrific!helenVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had yet another great meal at Osteria 166. The menu is tasty and creative, executed perfectly by the chef. Owner Nick puts such a personal touch on everything. He makes everyone feel like they are his dearest and most treasured friends. You can see the really care about their product and reputation. The staff is terrific, attentive, pleasant. We will go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great regular menuRealFoodDined on 6/13/2014Went after hearing many great things about it. The items we ordered off the regular menu (crab cake appetizer and filet mignon) were delicious and I would definitely go back and eat them again. The mahi mahi special that I ordered as an entree was not very good. I'll definitely go back, but when I do I'll just stick to the regular menu. Closest to a real "city" atmosphere we've come across in Buffalo (translation: loud and bustling) Our server was not particularly attentive. There were several times when we just sat for long stretches of time waiting for him to come back. We had to ask several times for water. It seemed like perhaps he was new to serving and the busy Friday-night may have overwhelmed him. Luckily we weren't in a hurry.Special Features:
- Great food, too loudbufffoodieDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed the fish special of the evening as well as the grilled octopus appetizer. However the sound level was was so loud we could not hear each other at a small four top table, two of us left with a headache from the noise. The menu is interesting and the service is great but I won't return unless they can address the noise factor.Special Features:
- great food!MDaleyDined on 6/13/2014the farro and veggie salad & the chicken lasagna were awesome! the house white wine was also fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellent Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The meatball was delicious and the steak and spinach pizza was fantastic on a truly handmade crust.Special Features: