1177 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ossosteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157716776x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Jim Wagner 4157716776x
A word from Osso Steakhouse
It's the new kid in town! Osso Steakhouse offers the steak lover a quintessential dining experience--Art Deco elegance, dry-aged steaks, premium cocktails in the latest restaurant on the San Francisco dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Osso Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Osso Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (25)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014This place is a hidden gem. I wish I was able to keep secrets better just so I can selfishly hoard all available reservations. Atop Nob Hill, and a mere 2 blocks from my apartment lays this beauty of a restaurant. If your closing a deal or if it's date night (mine was the latter of the two), Osso did not disappoint. Osso is an Italian term for 'bone in' so we could not help ourselves and chose the 22oz bone in filet to share. Perfectly charred on the outside (due to the cast iron skillet and whole butter basting). It was frickin' fantastic and definitely a manty dropper. I chose 3 sides: mashed yams with maple butter, portobellos and lightly creamed spinach. SERIOUS YUM. We couldn't have chosen a more perfect setting for his 40th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningthehoffDined on 10/17/2014My big bone in Mignon was delicious. However, don't order the the petite unless you are on a tight diet or are an aspiring super model. There ain't much there.Special Features:
- Best steak ever.JFoodieDined on 10/15/2014I took a party of 16 - mostly customers. I had oysters as a starter and a steak as a main. Being South African, we normally believe that we have the best steaks in the world. But I have to say, this was the best steak I've ever had. My customers were also thrilled with the food. I will definitely come back then next time I am in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious mussels and crab!Diner4LifeDined on 10/12/2014This is my third visit to OSSO and every time I go I order the sizzling mussel and crab skillet. It is the absolute best dish. The mussels and crabs come sizzling hot, perfectly seasoned and juicy. This time, once my friends saw my meal, they ordered it too. Atmosphere is great, quietly romantic with excellent service. Try it soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent. If more people heard of Osso, it would be more crowded.
- One of SF's Bestzman911Dined on 10/8/2014An excellent place for a romantic or social evening out to dinner. Excellent service, quality of food is fresh, tasty and cooked just to order. A highly recommended steak house. However do choose this restaurant if your pocket book limited.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Wine & ServiceSoCalLarryDined on 10/1/2014We went to Osso for a client dinner. Our server Jack provided impeccable service, and with wit and humor. The steaks were excellent and the wine list was really solid. Great overall atmosphere, service and food. I highly recommend Osso.Special Features:
- Great Bar and Free ValetOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/30/2014I went to a concert next door at the Masonic and wanted a local restaurant. Osso was my choice. I had no clue that it would be a perfect pick. Great food, excellent service and free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday NightKevinDined on 9/30/2014While we have eaten here many times in the past, the food remained excellant, the service fantastic, but for a high quality stek house not to have a baked potatoe (twice baked does not count - half the potatoe, twice the price) is the biggest difference between here and Bob's Steaks on Chops. Get with the program.Special Features:
- Pretty decent but overpricedskillmansanjDined on 9/28/2014I took my customer with a few of my team this week. The steak bone in filet is one of the best I have had in a long while. The appetizers we ordered were not so great. The calamari was over fried . The crab cakes had some Great review but I found it ok. They do come with a decent wine range . Overall ok experience. For 3 of us for a full 3 course it came to about 550$. Over priced for the location.Special Features:
- Way too expansive for the fooddisappointedVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very good service, sometimes a little bit too rushed to bring the following plates, like if they were in a hurry to double the table utilization. Food is absolutely not at the level one would expect for this price. No imagination, just average
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014Our meal was perfect from the lovely waiter to the delicious steak. We dined before a show at the Masonic and it made for a perfect and EASY evening.Special Features:
- Great place for a steak!!MissKTVIPDined on 9/13/2014SF is not known for it's steaks, but there are a handful of really great (non national chain) spots! Osso is definitely one of the best steaks in the city!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenesteoVIPDined on 9/13/2014Enjoyable place, nice atmosphere and very professional attention, but the food could be better. I went for the crab but I found it to be a bit heavy and it was hard to appreciate the delicate flavor of its meat. In my opinion they should use less butter and garlic. Maybe next time I should focus my dinner on the steaks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Steak was not cooked, cold. Service was very slow.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2014The bone-in filet was one of the best steaks I have had. Cooked perfectly. Sides were all very good. Appetizers and crab cocktails were so-so.. Overall very good meal lead by a perfect steak!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014They didn't seem to want us there. Ordered 3 courses, all which came out with 20 minutes of each other. All portions are small, even the steaks. Steaks were very tasty, that cannot be denied. Porterhouse for 2 came out with Filet separate from bone (they are known for bone in filets). They sides were not memorable Asked server for 4 different bottles of wine to which he replied he'd bring 2 as he couldn't remember 4 different ones at the same time. Server also cushioned his auto gratuity by ringing in more pricier items. 1 in our group ordered Macallan rocks which the server said no problem. Bill comes and he brought us Macallan 25 at $35 a glass. No biggie but something he should have confirmed before bringing us. That is ethically wrong.
- Excellent all around!MSPIGGYSFDined on 9/6/2014Petite filet was cooked just perfect Really enjoyed the cheese and chorizo bread as well. Try the bread pudding we really loved it! Waiter was on top of it and definetly going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another neighborhood place?Njoygr8fdVIPDined on 9/6/2014This location has been difficult for many prior owners. I live nearby and would very much like this place to succeed. I thought the food was a bit precious but good. I wish they would shoot a little more down the middle but I'm no restauranteur and I really have no clue. I readily acknowledge that the people working there know much more than I do about running a restaurant. I simply wish them luck. But compared to the Big Four - they're just not there yet. How to get there I don't know. But keep working it. Keep playing with it. The neighborhood would love another option. By the way, I wonder to what extent it's difficult to work with the condo owners above you . . . ? I'm sure that would be a problem where I live. So I wish you the best.
- A Perfect DinnerMjackVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything was perfect! What more can I say. The crab and spinach fondue was perfect. The beet salad was perfect. The bone in fillet was perfect. The waiter was perfect. One of our first truly perfect dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our trip to OssoAllanFMDined on 9/1/2014We arrived late for our anniversary dinner but were seated without issue. We ordered two of the filet mignone and both were cooked to our exact requirements and tasted delicious. I am fortunate to hBe eaten in some of America and Europes finest restaurants and I can honestly say I believe this was the best steak I've ever eaten. Prior to this it was the Bateaux Parisien dinner cruise on the River Sienne. Our server was days into the job and was a complete pleasure to have serving us. He was knowledgable about the wine list and made recommendations that we succumbed to and were not disappointed. In short if you are in San Fran, make Osso top of your dining list if I can make it back within the next 36 hours it would be a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- there are better steakhouseskatyDined on 8/30/2014steak was pretty good. service was pretty horrible. waiter kept hitting on my gf during dinner. he forgot to serve us our appetizers and a side order. also, side orders are VERY small. waiter also didnt know how to pour a beer. gave me all foam. service was so bad, i would not recommend it. give me Bobo's, House of Prime Rib, or Ruth Chris instead.
- Wonderful!ShortyfromTexasDined on 8/24/2014We were at Osso's for our anniversary dinner and the ambience was perfect! This is a great place for dinner for two. I did see one family with children, but this is not casual dining. We both had the petit file mignon (bone in) and it was superb! We are from Texas and know our steaks; this was amazing! Our server was prompt, polite, there when we needed him. We will go back next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksrcarrarettoDined on 8/22/2014This is a really good steakhouse, food was amazing as well as the service. It is pricy, way above the rank shown on OpenTable, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014The steaks were great, but the lights were too bright and the place too noisy. Service was poor - first we were asked if we had been served our appetizers yet - really, are there any used plates on our table? and then our steaks came out before wine was brought out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We had an excellent event except one steak was medium well instead of med rare. I am not the type to send it back. The waiter offered to replace it but, that would mean that we would be eating a different times. Wine list was very reasonable. Yes, I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- lovelyevening4usDined on 8/18/2014delicious steak, baked potato and dessert......bone-in petite filet, lemon tart
- Great Food***vcpsfDined on 8/17/2014we really enjoyed the options and the steaks were amazing so was the spinach and potatoes. the chocolate truffle and panna cota were a nice finish. Our waitress was very accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrlandoDined on 8/16/2014The food outstanding, and Service Outstanding . Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSmilesDined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I went to celebrate his birthday and we had a great meal. Our waiter was amazing, very attentive and personable. It is pricey but if you're looking to splurge, this is a great find. My boyfriend had the bone in filet and I had the double mussels and crab, delicious; and we shared the mushroom side which was also quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oso Steakhouse...Oh So Good!Mel5Dined on 8/11/2014We were in the city visiting colleges with our daughters and wanted to commemorate this milestone with a special dinner. Oso Steakhouse was the perfect choice! The girls had Nojitos- non alcoholic Mojitos to start while we enjoyed a fine bottle of wine. We enjoyed the house salad, petit filets, mac-n-cheese and the roasted potatoes. The filets were heavenly- we enjoyed every morsel! I have eaten at many top steakhouses but this was the absolute best filet I have ever enjoyed. We ended our dinner with coffee and sharing dessert (the chocolate mousse and the white chocolate covered mango sorbet), all of which were great. The service and ambiance were perfect as well. I look forward to returning when back in the Bay area.Special Features:
- Great food, wonderful service....chefayerDined on 8/11/2014It was worth the 3 block hike straight up in my 4 inch heels....You walk in to a cool art deco ambiance...Our waiter was very good and gave us the run down of the menu... he was attentive but not bothersome...He was kind and fun...He was wonderful...My husband and I enjoyed a amazing dinner ...I had the crab cocktail very good (just ask for light cocktail sauce) my husband had a Ceaser Salad...It was very fresh and the dressing was good (very anchovie)...I had the Petite and my husband had the gladiator both were cooked perfect. We shared the sides of Crispy potatoes and Brussel sprouts both were fantastic. They have a great wine list and the cocktails are good too... We were to full for dessert...but maybe next time...Special Features:
- Food snobFoodsnobDined on 8/10/2014The service was very attentive and professional. The ambience was elegant. The steaks were excellent. The sides were not on the same level. Drinks were delicious. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous steaks and serviceFoodcriticDined on 8/9/2014Steaks were fabulous and service impeccable. Steaks were top quality, juicy, flavorful, and perfectly prepared. The outside I the steak had a delicious crisp texture and inside was tender. Holy cow! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the demi glace!JoeShanghaiVIPDined on 8/2/2014Normally I think sauces are a sin for a good steak, but the Osso sauce is very subtle and adds a nice flavor enhancement to an already good steak. The service staff are very friendly and professional. It's not a cheap steak, but when is a good steak cheap?Special Features:
- Great experienceAvatarDined on 8/2/2014Waiter took a while to warm up but otherwise great food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great find, fantastic steak. Unbelievable service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Try AppetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2014We tried two appetizers that we would highly recoomend - the iron skillet shrimp and the Italian Potstickers.
- Do not make the same mistake as meFoodie1801VIPDined on 7/19/2014If you can get a last minute Saturday 7:30pm reservation at a restaurant in SF and the place is practically empty: back away as fast as you can. The food was laugh out loud bad (except for the $600 check). Iceberg lettuce, out of the box macaroni and cheese, steaks dripping butter to cover up their poor quality. Not a fresh veggie or herb in sight. With a city full of beautifully prepared food--steer clear of this place. Don't have a Saturday night reservation? Get carry out and don't get burned like my group.
- Great restaurant, hidden locationsteakloversgirlfriendVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've been to OSSO several times since it opened and WOW!! This is from the same partner that opened up Bobo's on Lombard...so you know the steak and sizzling platter of seafood's going to be great. The really nice things about OSSO is that you can hear the other person talking, the service is great...and though the restaurant is hidden from the street (it is located across the street from Grace Cathedral) it is centrally located. OSSO is a keeper at this location. Plus one can eat at the bar as well.Special Features: