1177 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ossosteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157716776x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Jim Wagner 4157716776x
A word from Osso Steakhouse
It's the new kid in town! Osso Steakhouse offers the steak lover a quintessential dining experience--Art Deco elegance, dry-aged steaks, premium cocktails in the latest restaurant on the San Francisco dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Osso Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Osso Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (23)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great place for a steak!!MissKTVIPDined on 9/13/2014SF is not known for it's steaks, but there are a handful of really great (non national chain) spots! Osso is definitely one of the best steaks in the city!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenesteoVIPDined on 9/13/2014Enjoyable place, nice atmosphere and very professional attention, but the food could be better. I went for the crab but I found it to be a bit heavy and it was hard to appreciate the delicate flavor of its meat. In my opinion they should use less butter and garlic. Maybe next time I should focus my dinner on the steaks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2014The bone-in filet was one of the best steaks I have had. Cooked perfectly. Sides were all very good. Appetizers and crab cocktails were so-so.. Overall very good meal lead by a perfect steak!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014They didn't seem to want us there. Ordered 3 courses, all which came out with 20 minutes of each other. All portions are small, even the steaks. Steaks were very tasty, that cannot be denied. Porterhouse for 2 came out with Filet separate from bone (they are known for bone in filets). They sides were not memorable Asked server for 4 different bottles of wine to which he replied he'd bring 2 as he couldn't remember 4 different ones at the same time. Server also cushioned his auto gratuity by ringing in more pricier items. 1 in our group ordered Macallan rocks which the server said no problem. Bill comes and he brought us Macallan 25 at $35 a glass. No biggie but something he should have confirmed before bringing us. That is ethically wrong.
- Excellent all around!MSPIGGYSFDined on 9/6/2014Petite filet was cooked just perfect Really enjoyed the cheese and chorizo bread as well. Try the bread pudding we really loved it! Waiter was on top of it and definetly going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another neighborhood place?Njoygr8fdVIPDined on 9/6/2014This location has been difficult for many prior owners. I live nearby and would very much like this place to succeed. I thought the food was a bit precious but good. I wish they would shoot a little more down the middle but I'm no restauranteur and I really have no clue. I readily acknowledge that the people working there know much more than I do about running a restaurant. I simply wish them luck. But compared to the Big Four - they're just not there yet. How to get there I don't know. But keep working it. Keep playing with it. The neighborhood would love another option. By the way, I wonder to what extent it's difficult to work with the condo owners above you . . . ? I'm sure that would be a problem where I live. So I wish you the best.
- A Perfect DinnerMjackVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything was perfect! What more can I say. The crab and spinach fondue was perfect. The beet salad was perfect. The bone in fillet was perfect. The waiter was perfect. One of our first truly perfect dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our trip to OssoAllanFMDined on 9/1/2014We arrived late for our anniversary dinner but were seated without issue. We ordered two of the filet mignone and both were cooked to our exact requirements and tasted delicious. I am fortunate to hBe eaten in some of America and Europes finest restaurants and I can honestly say I believe this was the best steak I've ever eaten. Prior to this it was the Bateaux Parisien dinner cruise on the River Sienne. Our server was days into the job and was a complete pleasure to have serving us. He was knowledgable about the wine list and made recommendations that we succumbed to and were not disappointed. In short if you are in San Fran, make Osso top of your dining list if I can make it back within the next 36 hours it would be a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- there are better steakhouseskatyDined on 8/30/2014steak was pretty good. service was pretty horrible. waiter kept hitting on my gf during dinner. he forgot to serve us our appetizers and a side order. also, side orders are VERY small. waiter also didnt know how to pour a beer. gave me all foam. service was so bad, i would not recommend it. give me Bobo's, House of Prime Rib, or Ruth Chris instead.
- Wonderful!ShortyfromTexasDined on 8/24/2014We were at Osso's for our anniversary dinner and the ambience was perfect! This is a great place for dinner for two. I did see one family with children, but this is not casual dining. We both had the petit file mignon (bone in) and it was superb! We are from Texas and know our steaks; this was amazing! Our server was prompt, polite, there when we needed him. We will go back next time we are in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksrcarrarettoDined on 8/22/2014This is a really good steakhouse, food was amazing as well as the service. It is pricy, way above the rank shown on OpenTable, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014The steaks were great, but the lights were too bright and the place too noisy. Service was poor - first we were asked if we had been served our appetizers yet - really, are there any used plates on our table? and then our steaks came out before wine was brought out.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014We had an excellent event except one steak was medium well instead of med rare. I am not the type to send it back. The waiter offered to replace it but, that would mean that we would be eating a different times. Wine list was very reasonable. Yes, I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- lovelyevening4usDined on 8/18/2014delicious steak, baked potato and dessert......bone-in petite filet, lemon tart
- Great Food***vcpsfDined on 8/17/2014we really enjoyed the options and the steaks were amazing so was the spinach and potatoes. the chocolate truffle and panna cota were a nice finish. Our waitress was very accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrlandoDined on 8/16/2014The food outstanding, and Service Outstanding . Thank YouSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceSmilesDined on 8/15/2014My boyfriend and I went to celebrate his birthday and we had a great meal. Our waiter was amazing, very attentive and personable. It is pricey but if you're looking to splurge, this is a great find. My boyfriend had the bone in filet and I had the double mussels and crab, delicious; and we shared the mushroom side which was also quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oso Steakhouse...Oh So Good!Mel5Dined on 8/11/2014We were in the city visiting colleges with our daughters and wanted to commemorate this milestone with a special dinner. Oso Steakhouse was the perfect choice! The girls had Nojitos- non alcoholic Mojitos to start while we enjoyed a fine bottle of wine. We enjoyed the house salad, petit filets, mac-n-cheese and the roasted potatoes. The filets were heavenly- we enjoyed every morsel! I have eaten at many top steakhouses but this was the absolute best filet I have ever enjoyed. We ended our dinner with coffee and sharing dessert (the chocolate mousse and the white chocolate covered mango sorbet), all of which were great. The service and ambiance were perfect as well. I look forward to returning when back in the Bay area.Special Features:
- Great food, wonderful service....chefayerDined on 8/11/2014It was worth the 3 block hike straight up in my 4 inch heels....You walk in to a cool art deco ambiance...Our waiter was very good and gave us the run down of the menu... he was attentive but not bothersome...He was kind and fun...He was wonderful...My husband and I enjoyed a amazing dinner ...I had the crab cocktail very good (just ask for light cocktail sauce) my husband had a Ceaser Salad...It was very fresh and the dressing was good (very anchovie)...I had the Petite and my husband had the gladiator both were cooked perfect. We shared the sides of Crispy potatoes and Brussel sprouts both were fantastic. They have a great wine list and the cocktails are good too... We were to full for dessert...but maybe next time...Special Features:
- Food snobFoodsnobDined on 8/10/2014The service was very attentive and professional. The ambience was elegant. The steaks were excellent. The sides were not on the same level. Drinks were delicious. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous steaks and serviceFoodcriticDined on 8/9/2014Steaks were fabulous and service impeccable. Steaks were top quality, juicy, flavorful, and perfectly prepared. The outside I the steak had a delicious crisp texture and inside was tender. Holy cow! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the demi glace!JoeShanghaiVIPDined on 8/2/2014Normally I think sauces are a sin for a good steak, but the Osso sauce is very subtle and adds a nice flavor enhancement to an already good steak. The service staff are very friendly and professional. It's not a cheap steak, but when is a good steak cheap?Special Features:
- Great experienceAvatarDined on 8/2/2014Waiter took a while to warm up but otherwise great food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Great find, fantastic steak. Unbelievable service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Try AppetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2014We tried two appetizers that we would highly recoomend - the iron skillet shrimp and the Italian Potstickers.
- Do not make the same mistake as meFoodie1801VIPDined on 7/19/2014If you can get a last minute Saturday 7:30pm reservation at a restaurant in SF and the place is practically empty: back away as fast as you can. The food was laugh out loud bad (except for the $600 check). Iceberg lettuce, out of the box macaroni and cheese, steaks dripping butter to cover up their poor quality. Not a fresh veggie or herb in sight. With a city full of beautifully prepared food--steer clear of this place. Don't have a Saturday night reservation? Get carry out and don't get burned like my group.
- Great restaurant, hidden locationsteakloversgirlfriendVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've been to OSSO several times since it opened and WOW!! This is from the same partner that opened up Bobo's on Lombard...so you know the steak and sizzling platter of seafood's going to be great. The really nice things about OSSO is that you can hear the other person talking, the service is great...and though the restaurant is hidden from the street (it is located across the street from Grace Cathedral) it is centrally located. OSSO is a keeper at this location. Plus one can eat at the bar as well.Special Features:
- SpartyBoilerVIPDined on 7/18/2014Visiting San Francisco and this was walking distance from the Fairmont. First it wasn't very busy which always seems like a concern. The service was impeccable. Started with the chorizo cheese bread. You pay extra for this, but it was worth it. Had a spinach salad and house salad, both were very good. All 3 of us had the petite in-bone filet. The menu says they cook them medium-rare and that is how we ordered them. Steaks were good, not necessarily to do for. Slightly over-cooked, more like medium. Had a side of asparagus and crispy potatoes which was enough for all 3 of us. Had a sorbet dessert, served with chocolate and whipped cream which was very good. Overall,it was good-very good, not outstandingSpecial Features:
- Unique experienceBusinessExecDined on 7/16/2014A pretty, quiet setting in a landmark location for a quiet (and memorable) dinner in one of America's greatest cities. We'll worth enjoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks and moreJohnVIPDined on 7/13/2014At the top of Nob Hill, Osso is classic San Francisco ambiance --comfortable and quietly elegant. Just the setting to start your evening with a classic cocktail. Our steaks were superb, our selection of salads and side vegetables delicious. Wine service was very good and our wait person amiable efficient. A very nice touch to include free valet parking for their guests.
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 7/10/2014We wanted to like this place. Their specialty is bone in filet mignon, both steaks were overly salty, and the sides were nothing to write home about. Our server, however, was fantastic! She was always there when needed, provided good information, comedic asides etc. Cocktails were good too, but with all the options for a steak in SF, it is unlikely we will be back.Special Features:
- Osso's Great FindShermanDined on 7/3/2014Great find just up road from where we stayed at Stanford - good food, service and ambienceSpecial Features:
- Great service - food was okdeedeeDined on 6/23/2014The service here was top notch. We had a small client dinner and the entire wait staff was extremely accommodating. The portion are a good size, but not your typical size for a steakhouse. I had the scallops which were terrible. They were chewy - I had one bite and pushed my plate away. The other guests seemed to enjoy their food. Entrees enjoyed included steak, salmon and the crab cakes.Special Features:
- Very, very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014This is an expensive steak house. However, I could not eat my meal. There is a preservative that I am told can be added to meat to extend it's life after it has been sold. I have a serious allergic reaction when this is done and I had that reaction with my first bite. Also, there were gnats flying around us the entire time we were there which was most disturbing. The waiter tried to make light of it acknowledging that they did have this problem periodically but this is certainly not acceptable for any type of dining experience.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Absolute best steak I have ever had (I ordered the petite bone-in filet), excellent customer service, great atmosphere that I think Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra would have been comfortable in. This is my new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Steak AMAZING, veggies not so much!VictoriaGirlieDined on 6/19/2014It's like a Prohibition club... high black leather booths, linens and nice silverware. The servers are very professional. It's an expensive place to eat but the filet mignon was amazing... melt in your mouth goodness. You buy a steak $30-50 then pay $8.95 for a side vegetable or potato... I picked spaghetti squash - I took one bite... the server didn't return for some time so when I expressed that it tasted vinegary?, he asked me if I'd like anything different but when I pointed out that our meals were finished he nodded and disappeared. No discount to offset the terrible squash which tasted 'pickled'.Special Features:
- The BartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Our second time here, we decided to stay at the bar, Daniel the bartender was superb, great drinks and great recommendations on food, we will be back to see him, thanks Daniel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedsuperdinoDined on 6/17/2014Superb service, and we'd recommend the bone-on filet mignon. Lovely view of Grace Cathedral is a bonusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Chris Ruth Steak HouseLuLuVIPDined on 6/15/2014For NOT being able to accommodate increasing my reservation for 4 to 6 people. This led me to scramble at the very last minute to find another restaurant (preferably a steakhouse) on Father's Day. Luckily, I was able to book a table at Osso's and it was the best thing that could have happened! The ambiance and feel of the restaurant was very cool! The staff were engaging, professional and attentive. The food was A-mazing! I haven't had such a perfect steak in such a long time! Our dinner was enjoyed by all and we will definitely share our praise with friends and family and go back again soon!Special Features:
- Butter anyone?FinedinerDined on 6/7/2014If you like steak with your butter maybe this is the right place for you. The steaks were terrible, they soak the steaks in massive amounts of butter before searing them. You could see the melted butter layered like icing on the steak when it was served. The cuts were less than impressive. Longhorn and Outback do a better job.