6048 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.osmanthusrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5109231233x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Julia Klein
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Osmanthus
A modern-classic Asian restaurant, our kitchen focuses on an array of Chinese Regional dishes, Japanese and South-East Asian flavors. We create bold flavors through casual dishes. A full bar serves craft cocktails inspired by Asian ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Osmanthus - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Osmanthus reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since April 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (50)great for lunch (24)good for groups (20)special occasion (14)kid-friendly (11)romantic (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014There were three of us and we ordered three items to share. The food came quickly and was attractive to look at and delicious to taste. We all liked all three items. My favorite was the Brussels Sprouts with Pork Belly and my husband's was the Coconut Shrimp. Our friend liked the Beef Tenderloin the best. The prices were reason able and the food was excellent quality and well prepared. I have to be gluten free and I was able to eat all three dishes. Normally I have difficulty find something to eat at an Asian restaurant because of the soy sauce. Great Meal!Special Features:
- Can always count on OsmanthusOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014This neighborhood place is walking distance from my home and I eat there at least once a month (or more), including take-out. The service is excellent and the food is always delicious. The old stand by for me is the green tea salad, which is just perfectly done and the brussel sprouts with bacon. While the menu doesn't change much, everything that is on the menu is good.Special Features:
- Fabulous and consistent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Rarely have I eaten somewhere where every single dish is exquisite, but this time it happened. Let me see...coconut prawns, tea leaf salads, green beans, eggplant, pork belly,dan dan noodles, dry chicken wings and last but not least the green tea creme brulee. To top it off, the cocktails are wonderful, especially the cherry blossom. We are huge fans of this place!! The only criticism would be uncomfortable booths.Special Features:
- great experiencelocaldinerDined on 8/8/2014Don't expect helpful signage to find the place, but you can expect an awesome dining experience. Everything was excellent and looking forward to a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Asian-Fusion Food2pasta42Dined on 8/5/2014This neighborhood restaurant deserves to be crowded all the time--the food is fantastic. It reflects influences from throughout Asia--mostly Chinese, but also Japanese, Burmese, Thai, Korean. We love the shrimp toast! Other people have raved about the brussel sprouts, and we agree. (And I've refused to eat brussel sprouts all my life.) In fact, every dish that we've tried has been wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooooo GoodnamsmomDined on 8/2/2014It's mostly small plates but with plenty of food on each and no one felt they didn't get enough of any one dish. Started with some specialty drinks...all of them tasty, Ms. Grant, The Osmanthus, Snow White and Cherry Blossom Girl. For food we had: tuna tartare with avocado, ginger-soy and lime; dry-fried green beans; Kiang ton spareribs (boneless, a touch sweet and very tasty); good big prawns with coconut milk and mint leaves; brussel sprouts with salt pork and honey-siracha. Dessert was their special Thai tea creme bruelee. Our server, a UC anthrop major, was delightful. She was very knowledgeable and answered every question we had and made excellent suggestions. We are so happy with this find and will be regulars. And very well-priced.Special Features:
- Good food, good taste10upDined on 7/29/2014In a handsome newly renovated location previously occupied by the venerable Nan Yang, Osmanthus offers a tempting menu for lunch. Our two delicious dishes were the garlic eggplant and the shrimp curry (I'm not exact about the names here, sorry). We look forward to returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revitalized spotteamVIPDined on 7/16/2014Osmanthus is a worthy addition to the area and replaces the much loved Nan Yang. Food is great for sharing. Delivery can be somewhat erratic so it may be a good idea to order as you go. Could become a strong contender in a location with many choices. Full bar is an improvement on the original.
- a pleasure to eat hereshulieDined on 7/11/2014A friend and I ate here for lunch during the week. It was quiet because there were very few customers. I've also eaten here for dinner, and it's been livelier and more crowded, but the service and the food have always been fine and the noise level passable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceSandyeggDined on 7/5/2014Went to Osmanthus for the first time with friends and we were impressed. Pan-Asian menu provided a wide range of choices ranging from vegan to pork bellies and chicken, fish, beef, etc. Only one dish disappointed (Brussel sprouts with pork belly and a honey/siraccha dressing...too sweet) and all of the others were very good to excellent (Basa fish, coconut-curry prawns, eggplant, and smoked trout fried rice). And service was excellent with our waiter going the extra mle to accommodate a member of our party who has a food allergy. We'll go back again!Special Features:
- briefly....SteveTVIPDined on 7/4/2014...what a find! interesting and creative food, warmly and intelligently served, in a beautiful setting...indoor or out. we'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date spotDeezyDined on 7/3/2014Loved the ambiance, great eclectic selection on menu and excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- great spotCLEOAKDined on 7/3/2014Love the brussel sprouts and Tuna tatar. Service was great and nice cocktail list. Great for sharing so even better with a group. Woiuld go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchGesSfDined on 7/3/2014At night Osmanthus can be very noisy but it's perfect for lunch. Wonderful food.Special Features:
- Wonderful....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014We are now loyal patrons of Osmanthus. This was our fourth time dining here. The cocktails are especially good. Food is innovative, perfectly seasoned and excellent. One comment this time around, was the Hamachi was a bit fishy tasting. The booths are very uncomfortable, so bring a pillow if you like. Everything else was superb and we will be back for more soon.....Special Features:
- My new favorite!MimsymDined on 6/28/2014I have been here 4 times since it opened and I have yet to find something I didn't like. It's a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotStephDined on 6/28/2014I ate here with my husband and two daughters and we enjoyed our meal very much. Three of us had different cocktails and liked them all. I had the Barrel-Aged Vieux Carre, which was outstanding. It was a hot evening and the water brought to the table was not cold-- more like room temperature-- and had no ice. We asked for a couple of glasses of ice, but I am taking a few points off for tepid drinking water. Every dish we had was prepared well and was so tasty. There were four of us, and 6 dishes total were a good number, which our waiter helpfully suggested. There is only one dessert offering, but it's a good one-- The Thai Tea Creme Brulee. My daughter especially loved it and said it was the best creme brulee she'd ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findfoodenjoyerDined on 6/15/2014Osmanthus is a lovely restaurant reasonably priced and innovative in its choices of ingredients and seasonings. We loved the green tea leaf salad and the brussel sprouts with salt pork. We also had salmon curry with purple yam which was delicious and would have appreciated a bigger portion of salmon. The smoked trout fried rice was new to all of us. Highly recommend Osmanthus.Special Features:
- ExceptionalMaggieOakDined on 6/14/2014What a GREAT addition to the Rockridge dining scene. We used to frequent the restaurant that formerly occupied this space but hadn't been in a while. When we saw that a new restaurant had started, we decided to give it a try. We were really blown away at how fantastic everything was, and by the look of everyone else in there (completely packed), we all agreed -- it's just a terrific spot. You really won't be disappointed.
- Meh.industrieVIPDined on 6/12/2014I've had better and worse. Everything was relatively tasty, but no real standouts or dishes that were going to be memorable. We did have a nice experience due to the wait staff and and ambience. Not sure if we'll be back, but glad we tried it.
- lovefoodDined on 6/12/2014We really enjoyed eating here. The tapas were great. I especially liked that we were able to taste the sangria before ordering it to know if we wanted it. That was a special treat.Special Features:
- Polished and prettysherraeDined on 6/10/2014Osmanthus, a sweet smelling flower, is the name of this wonderful spot. Decor is tasteful, restful but has a certain attractive energy. The people who seat and serve are delightful and knowledgeable. The food: brilliantly executed Shanghai/Chinese and Southeast Asian for people who don't think they like that kind of food. Knowing the real deal from extensive travel, I'd say the food at Osmanthus makes a great case for transporting the experience back to what is familiar. While fusion is overused, the ideas of the eastern cultures have achieved greater heights here. Portions are generous and the wine list is chosen for its compatibility with the food. The cocktails are wonderful and have a similar aesthetic. Lovely. Reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/8/2014This was our second time at Osmanthus and it just keeps getting better....each and every dish is executed beautifully and perfectly seasoned. To top it off, the cocktails are very special and very good. The green tea creme brulee is a perfect dessert with this meal. Get lots of dishes and share them family style in order to try more things. We had two green tea leaf salads they were so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May the Buddha be With YoubugzieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Very interesting & appealing menu; look forward to coming back and trying more options. While everything wasn't an absolute winner, most things were, and all were made with quality ingredients and originality. Good cocktails as well and very nice and helpful server - we had theatre tickets and he made sure we got out in plenty of time.Special Features:
- excellent and interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014we loved our meal, especially the tea and little gem salad, the pork, eggplant and garlic noodles. The cocktails were also excellent!Special Features:
- Delicious Unique FlavorsHungry1Dined on 5/17/2014We were so lucky to find this relatively new restaurant for lunch with a big family group after my daughter's graduation. The ambiance was fresh, service terrific and the flavor combinations were out of this world. Try the green tea leaf salad and the chai tea creme brulee. Healthful, delicious, and fun -- a real find!Special Features:
- Yummy Lunch with FriendsCoupleByTheBarDined on 5/17/2014We are nearly regulars here and took this opportunity to introduce new friends to our favorite spot. Once again, nothing but the best from both the food and the drinks. Wine list pairs well with the food. Trust the bar staff. Special shout-out to Kelly for this visit. Need to venture into there Sake selection at some point in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Vegansash13Dined on 5/15/2014I love this place because I am addicted to the ma po Tofu. Just the right amount of spicy! Being vegan, it is nice to find hip places to go where I can find something to eat and my meat-eating friends do not have to go veggie for the meal. I enjoy sitting outside, but it is streetside seating.Special Features:
- reliable and satisfyingshulieDined on 5/9/2014I have eaten at Osmanthus twice recently, once for dinner and once for lunch, and have found the food and the service both notably good. The food, especially, was fresh-tasting, and the service was prompt, attentive and friendly but not too friendly. At lunch we were told that the menu--the same as for dinner--would soon change so as to be more "lunch-friendly." I hope this outstanding restaurant will continue to be as satisfying in future.Special Features:
- Great Value in OaklandnotoutallthetimeVIPDined on 4/27/2014We once lived in Oakland and now live in New York. We were in Berkeley for the evening and looked for a place on College Ave. for old times sake. We selected Osmanthus. The server was incredibly helpful, the food was flavorful and fun, and we had no pressure to leave as we spent a couple of hours noshing and visiting friends from the past. A wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Osmanthus reviews archive.
- Great new rockridge restaurantRockridgeFoodieDined on 4/19/2014Osmanthus is a GREAT new addition to College Ave - as good as Burma Star but currently not much of a wait! We have been there several times now and have loved it every time. While we were sad to have Nan Yang go, so excited that Osmanthus is here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meeting placeWillbebackDined on 4/17/2014It was a good meeting place for a casual dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Great food, good drinks.KevcalDined on 4/11/2014Brussels sprouts were out of this world. Beef is great. Cocktails are tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth repeat visitstfidfDined on 4/6/2014I like Osmanthus for many of the same reasons why I like nearby Soi 4: skillfully executed, formula-breaking Asian flavors: trout fried rice; a simple but satisfying tea leaf salad; gently sichuan-peppercorned mapo tofu; and many really nice-looking meat dishes that I haven't tried because I'm vegetarian. Tasty, creative cocktails, and thai-tea crème brûlée is hard to resist for dessert. I actually like the atmosphere at Osmanthus better than Soi 4: Osmanthus feels much less suburban.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really "Pan-Asian"BadgerDined on 4/6/2014Yes, the menu range through several Asian cuisines, but each dish appears to be chosen for its own sake and very carefully prepared. Like many other diners, I particularly recommend the (fermented) tea-leaf salad and the flash-fried Brussels sprouts..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful addition to College Ave.MillyDined on 4/5/2014Excellent menu, ambiance and service. Was nervous about trying Osmanthus because I was able to get reservations when other restaurants had none. Lucky for me it was simply because people are not yet aware of this gem! This wont be the case for long. The restaurant was full, I'm guessing due to walk ins. My party especially enjoyed the Salmon, Purple Yam and Curry meal which we ordered twice. Everything we tried was amazing so I'm sure the same goes for the rest of the menu. The small details such as cloth napkins as a clue as to the level of quality you will find at Osmanthus, but at a reasonable price. Try it, you wont regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osmanthus is FantasticsrtsVIPDined on 4/4/2014The food here is Asian tapas style (small plates) that can be shared. It's fantastic. The Brussels Sprouts with salt pork and honey and Sriracha sauced is out of this world great as are the curry shrimp. The beef and chicken and vegetarian dishes are excellent as well. This restaurant is a real treat and serves very tasty, memorable food. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Delicious, interesting dishes.katiedidDined on 3/21/2014Delicious, interesting dishes. Balanced cocktails. Some dishes ran too sweet but overall, I enjoyed my food and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visit. All visits wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/16/20143rd visit. All visits were very satisfying. Do not miss the brussel sprouts. The pho could be skipped , very mild. The sauce on the salmon was great. The salmon itself was just ok. Tea salad also very good.Special Features:
- Osmanthus Continues to ShinesrtsVIPDined on 3/14/2014Fantastic Chinese, Asian tapas style food. Excellent curry shrimp, fantastic Brussels spouts and solid beef and fish offerings. This restaurant continues to get better and better over time. It's a real treat to have in the neighborhood. If you have to chose between Box and Bells and Osmanthus, Osmanthus wins hands down: this is a delightful restaurant. enjoy.Special Features: