6048 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.osmanthusrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5109231233x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: T-Su 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Julia Klein
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Osmanthus
A modern-classic Asian restaurant, our kitchen focuses on an array of Chinese Regional dishes, Japanese and South-East Asian flavors. We create bold flavors through casual dishes. A full bar serves craft cocktails inspired by Asian ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Osmanthus - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Osmanthus reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (57)great for lunch (21)good for groups (15)special occasion (14)romantic (11)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Beautiful environment, tasty food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I walked in and sat down with my dining partner at a booth for two. I loved the lighting and modern, oriental decor. The servers were very polite and attentive, and I felt well-taken care of. The first two cocktails we had were tasty, but I was less impressed with the Nessie, which seemed watered down. We ordered the eggplant, the tea leaf salad, and the smoked trout fried rice. The eggplant was perfectly cooked and my favorite part of the meal. The tea leaf salad and the smoked trout fried rice were both good but perhaps overly garlicky. I would have liked a few more bits of fish in the rice. We finished with ginger root tea, which was delicious and served in a lovely tea set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blown away by the foodbayareaprofessionalVIPDined on 10/15/2014Did dinner here as a party of 4. Dining is family style and the food is something special - the very worst dish we had was merely good and the best was transendental. The basa fish and the smoked trout fried rice were absolute standouts. Service was professional, freindly and appropriately interactive. all together highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Charm but....DrSookDined on 10/15/2014Many dishes just miss a little- misguided ingenuity ? Lovely service, some fine dishes, but odd excess- as in saturation of salad; once fabulous brussel sprouts are now sodden, crispy pork ribs dry & bland, etc. Garlic noodles remain excellent. Drinks are superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and worth many visits2hijasandmaxVIPDined on 10/11/2014It was great. All the dishes were marvelous, especially the shrimp toast. Interesting menu, interesting drinks. Very popular and prices were reasonable. What more could be asked. We will return.Special Features:
- Always good food and servicenamsmomDined on 10/10/2014This was our third trip to Osmanthus and it didn't disappoint. Four of us shared green tea salad (mixed at your table), the always delicious fried brussel sprouts with honey-sriracha, beef tenderloin with garlic and black pepper, salmon, purple ham and curry, dan dan noodles (one of the spicier dishes) and two thai tea creme brûlées. As in the past, we tried several of the specialty drinks and loved the Ms Grant. There was plenty to eat for all of us, with the exception of a rather smallish piece of salmon - so we each had only a couple of very small bites (it would have been perfect for two people rather than four). Servers are knowledgeable and on top of things. We'll go again and again.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodMotherEarthDined on 10/10/2014We were visiting our daughter at UC Berkeley and wanted to have dinner somewhere outside of the usual Berkeley eateries. I looked at Yelp and the restaurant guides and thought I'd take a chance on Osmanthus since it was just on the border. The restaurant has a really nice clean contemporary look to it, and is very welcoming. The menu at first glance seems like it has a lot of standards, but there are some very interesting twists. But once the dishes arrive...there is nothing standard about the fare. Everything is fresh, cooked to perfection, seasoned beautifully, and just delicious. This will definitely be one of our new "go to" restaurants whenever we visit Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chinese Food at a new levelgaryDined on 9/28/2014Sorry to see Nan Yang folks retire but they left the tea leaf salad to the new owners and customers who love this refreshing mixture of tastes and textures...what a way to start the meal. The staff is wonderful...friendly and helpful. They know their menu very well. Each time we go there are certain dishes we like to order and then try new ones. Each has distinctive flavors and these are slight variations on traditional Chinese dishes. Always a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osmanthus is a must try restaurantwelovejuliaDined on 9/27/2014Brussel sprouts, green tea leaf salad, prawns with coconut milk and mint, the whisky... I could go on and on. Try some things and then go back and try other things. It's ALL amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osmanthus a flowering successBabsDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here twice and enjoyed it very much. Excellent dishes featuring Sichuan peppercorns. Great bartenders and a nice wine list. The service is attentive. It's a bit noisy when it's crowded, but then, we're older........ ;>)Special Features:
- I love this restaurantMonicaDined on 9/25/2014Everything I have eaten here has been delicious. The tea leaf salad, chicken wings, and short rib are the best I've had anywhere.
- Good , not (yet) greatderekw14Dined on 9/20/2014Nice decor (although too lively acoustically, as often with bare walls/floor restaurants), appetizing menu, reasonably priced, good location on College, what's there not too like? Well despite having made a reservation, we had to wait for our table 10-15 mn, not the best start. Food was good but not great, a little bland / lacking true flavor despite the spices. I liked it but was not blown away. Come on guys, you can do better and deserve better.Special Features:
- Delicious!arlenizuchiniDined on 9/20/2014We lucked out and got a last minute reservation on a Saturday night. The food was really tasty, especially the green beans and basa. The garlic noodles were good, but unimaginative, as they looked like the chef took a bowl of spaghetti and tossed in toasted garlic and some oil. The short ribs were also tasty. We would definitely go back, but I hope the service will be more attentive next time.Special Features:
- Upscale Chinese & Eastern AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/18/2014Good Bay Area entry into the pan Asian fusion category, similar in concept to Vanessa's Bistro and Noodle Theory across the street. For people who are eternally seeking Chinese food that comes closer in quality to what one can get in that culinarily creative country. Also, touches base with Japan, Thailand and Korea. "Mouth watering" chicken was good, though improved by the hot sauces which were brought on request. Excellent dry-fried green beans which we ordered both times; very good prawns with coconut milk. I would order all of those dishes again. A word to non-Sinophiles--all Asian food is meant to be eaten with rice or noodles, without it you'll be missing something. Able bar, nice setting, competent and friendly service.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!OliviaVIPDined on 9/17/2014This is a wonderful addition to the Berkley/Oakland restaurant scene. We were a group of eight; we tried almost everything on the menu. Everything was delicious; a few items were quite different, but very, very good. If you like great food and competent friendly service, you will love this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/16/2014food is flavorful and delicious. specialty drinks are not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - again.Hank88VIPDined on 9/16/2014Well worth the return visit. Excellent and inventive food.Special Features:
- Nummy and Numby!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Soooooo good! Spicy, but mostly from sichuan peppercorns numbing your mouth. I can't wait to go back with more people and try more dishes!Special Features:
- neighborhood gemhiedVIPDined on 9/2/2014Just tried and great. Something different for Rockridge. All dishes were well done. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful findFoodSingsDined on 8/28/2014Osmanthus turned out to be a fantastic find for a birthday dinner. All our dishes were great, but what really stood out were the "mouth watering" chicken and the braised beef. They were perfectly balanced. Also, the Cherry Blossom Girl cocktail, which is probably the best cocktail I have had in a while. The dishes varied in size according to the dish and felt nicely proportional. The atmosphere was cosy and the noise level was low, but we were also there on a weekday evening and it wasn't too crowded. I imagine it would be louder on the weekends. Our server was prompt and came back to check on us now and then to make sure we had everything we needed. In all, a fantastic experience and we are definitely planning to go back there again.Special Features:
- Ain't Like Other "Asian Fusion"SashimistaDined on 8/19/2014This place is truly fantastic - great food, great cocktails, great wine list - all the things I want for a restaurant. If you are thinking "Oh another imperfect Asian fusion restaurant?" then give a try, you'll realize that this place has it perfected. Tea Leaf Salad is already much better than went-down Burma Superstar. Szechuan peppercorn dishes are truly amazing here. Dry-frying technique etc is something that sets this place aside from all other fake-Asian Orange Chicken sort of places.Special Features:
- DiabloDishDined on 8/16/2014There were three of us and we ordered three items to share. The food came quickly and was attractive to look at and delicious to taste. We all liked all three items. My favorite was the Brussels Sprouts with Pork Belly and my husband's was the Coconut Shrimp. Our friend liked the Beef Tenderloin the best. The prices were reason able and the food was excellent quality and well prepared. I have to be gluten free and I was able to eat all three dishes. Normally I have difficulty find something to eat at an Asian restaurant because of the soy sauce. Great Meal!Special Features:
- Can always count on OsmanthusOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014This neighborhood place is walking distance from my home and I eat there at least once a month (or more), including take-out. The service is excellent and the food is always delicious. The old stand by for me is the green tea salad, which is just perfectly done and the brussel sprouts with bacon. While the menu doesn't change much, everything that is on the menu is good.Special Features:
- Fabulous and consistent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2014Rarely have I eaten somewhere where every single dish is exquisite, but this time it happened. Let me see...coconut prawns, tea leaf salads, green beans, eggplant, pork belly,dan dan noodles, dry chicken wings and last but not least the green tea creme brulee. To top it off, the cocktails are wonderful, especially the cherry blossom. We are huge fans of this place!! The only criticism would be uncomfortable booths.Special Features:
- great experiencelocaldinerDined on 8/8/2014Don't expect helpful signage to find the place, but you can expect an awesome dining experience. Everything was excellent and looking forward to a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooooo GoodnamsmomDined on 8/2/2014It's mostly small plates but with plenty of food on each and no one felt they didn't get enough of any one dish. Started with some specialty drinks...all of them tasty, Ms. Grant, The Osmanthus, Snow White and Cherry Blossom Girl. For food we had: tuna tartare with avocado, ginger-soy and lime; dry-fried green beans; Kiang ton spareribs (boneless, a touch sweet and very tasty); good big prawns with coconut milk and mint leaves; brussel sprouts with salt pork and honey-siracha. Dessert was their special Thai tea creme bruelee. Our server, a UC anthrop major, was delightful. She was very knowledgeable and answered every question we had and made excellent suggestions. We are so happy with this find and will be regulars. And very well-priced.Special Features:
- Good food, good taste10upDined on 7/29/2014In a handsome newly renovated location previously occupied by the venerable Nan Yang, Osmanthus offers a tempting menu for lunch. Our two delicious dishes were the garlic eggplant and the shrimp curry (I'm not exact about the names here, sorry). We look forward to returning often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revitalized spotteamVIPDined on 7/16/2014Osmanthus is a worthy addition to the area and replaces the much loved Nan Yang. Food is great for sharing. Delivery can be somewhat erratic so it may be a good idea to order as you go. Could become a strong contender in a location with many choices. Full bar is an improvement on the original.
- a pleasure to eat hereshulieDined on 7/11/2014A friend and I ate here for lunch during the week. It was quiet because there were very few customers. I've also eaten here for dinner, and it's been livelier and more crowded, but the service and the food have always been fine and the noise level passable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceSandyeggDined on 7/5/2014Went to Osmanthus for the first time with friends and we were impressed. Pan-Asian menu provided a wide range of choices ranging from vegan to pork bellies and chicken, fish, beef, etc. Only one dish disappointed (Brussel sprouts with pork belly and a honey/siraccha dressing...too sweet) and all of the others were very good to excellent (Basa fish, coconut-curry prawns, eggplant, and smoked trout fried rice). And service was excellent with our waiter going the extra mle to accommodate a member of our party who has a food allergy. We'll go back again!Special Features:
- briefly....SteveTVIPDined on 7/4/2014...what a find! interesting and creative food, warmly and intelligently served, in a beautiful setting...indoor or out. we'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date spotDeezyVIPDined on 7/3/2014Loved the ambiance, great eclectic selection on menu and excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- great spotCLEOAKDined on 7/3/2014Love the brussel sprouts and Tuna tatar. Service was great and nice cocktail list. Great for sharing so even better with a group. Woiuld go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchGesSfDined on 7/3/2014At night Osmanthus can be very noisy but it's perfect for lunch. Wonderful food.Special Features:
- The following 73 reviews are from the Osmanthus reviews archive.
- Wonderful....OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2014We are now loyal patrons of Osmanthus. This was our fourth time dining here. The cocktails are especially good. Food is innovative, perfectly seasoned and excellent. One comment this time around, was the Hamachi was a bit fishy tasting. The booths are very uncomfortable, so bring a pillow if you like. Everything else was superb and we will be back for more soon.....Special Features:
- My new favorite!MimsymDined on 6/28/2014I have been here 4 times since it opened and I have yet to find something I didn't like. It's a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotStephDined on 6/28/2014I ate here with my husband and two daughters and we enjoyed our meal very much. Three of us had different cocktails and liked them all. I had the Barrel-Aged Vieux Carre, which was outstanding. It was a hot evening and the water brought to the table was not cold-- more like room temperature-- and had no ice. We asked for a couple of glasses of ice, but I am taking a few points off for tepid drinking water. Every dish we had was prepared well and was so tasty. There were four of us, and 6 dishes total were a good number, which our waiter helpfully suggested. There is only one dessert offering, but it's a good one-- The Thai Tea Creme Brulee. My daughter especially loved it and said it was the best creme brulee she'd ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findfoodenjoyerDined on 6/15/2014Osmanthus is a lovely restaurant reasonably priced and innovative in its choices of ingredients and seasonings. We loved the green tea leaf salad and the brussel sprouts with salt pork. We also had salmon curry with purple yam which was delicious and would have appreciated a bigger portion of salmon. The smoked trout fried rice was new to all of us. Highly recommend Osmanthus.Special Features:
- ExceptionalMaggieOakDined on 6/14/2014What a GREAT addition to the Rockridge dining scene. We used to frequent the restaurant that formerly occupied this space but hadn't been in a while. When we saw that a new restaurant had started, we decided to give it a try. We were really blown away at how fantastic everything was, and by the look of everyone else in there (completely packed), we all agreed -- it's just a terrific spot. You really won't be disappointed.
- Meh.industrieVIPDined on 6/12/2014I've had better and worse. Everything was relatively tasty, but no real standouts or dishes that were going to be memorable. We did have a nice experience due to the wait staff and and ambience. Not sure if we'll be back, but glad we tried it.
- lovefoodDined on 6/12/2014We really enjoyed eating here. The tapas were great. I especially liked that we were able to taste the sangria before ordering it to know if we wanted it. That was a special treat.Special Features: