Osetra The Fishhouse
904 Fifth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Osetra The Fishhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.osetrafishhouse.com/
- Phone: 6192391800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Californian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer a variety of banquet events menus, that can be tailored to your event.
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday and Saturdays starting at 9:00 pm and Late Night Happy Hour from 9:00 to midnight.
- Cross Street: E Street
- Public Transit: Trolley and Buses Stops are only steps from us. Please visit www.sdcommute.com go to trip planner and enter the address of your location or landmark and for destination enter HORTON PLAZA on landmark. We are located 1 short block from the Mall.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is offered at the Gaslamp Suites at 520 E. Street. Rate is $10 from 4pm to 11 pm. Monday through Thursday. And $15 on the weekend including Friday from 4pm to 11pm. Horton Plaza Mall validates parking for up to 3 hours. You do your own validation at machines at the mall.Please validate before you visit the restaurant. Osetra is only a short block from the mall.
A word from Osetra The Fishhouse
A progressive Fishhouse offering gourmet seafood, prime aged meat and an award-winning wine collection showcased in a three-story wine tower.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osetra The Fishhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)fit for foodies (29)romantic (20)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (11)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding!NineInchNealDined on 10/11/2014Outstanding Chilean Sea Bass, Lobster Ravioli and Scallops. Fantastic craft cocktail and wine list. Eat outside on a Saturday night if you can get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood restaurantGeorgeDined on 10/3/2014Known for seafood but the lamb chops were excellent. Service greatSpecial Features:
- SDRW experienceSeegarzDined on 9/30/2014Located downtown, we had a great dinner for $35. Great appetizers, main course, and of course dessert. Ate too much bread to start off with, but it was a great meal nonetheless. Only 4 star for service because I had also requested the wine pairing and the waitstaff forgot. Plus the dessert wine was way too sweet for my palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner outhl924Dined on 9/26/2014We visit San Diego a few times a year and Osetra is now on our must eat list. Everything from the drinks, to the warm bread and our amazing meal was just perfect. Our server did a great job. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pasta!hungry2eatVIPDined on 9/25/2014everything from the food, service noise level was perfect. Only thing, I am not too comfortable with high seats. The lobster ravioli was wonderful.Special Features:
- Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014The bartender poured a bad glass of champagne and told me to try it after she told me it's not good. It was flat so she poured me a different open bottle said the same disclaimer and the second glass was not good either so she decided to open a fresh bottle! Absolutely ridiculous. A place that charges me $7 for glass on happy hour should have class.Special Features:
- catmanDined on 9/22/2014food and serice was goo. but northing outstanding about the foodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Waiter should talk to you more and get to know youSpecial Features:
- Love the food, BUT!Foodie25Dined on 9/20/2014Love the food, BUT I didn't love the ambiance. There were screaming toddlers on one side & the loudness if the bar. The server was swapped mid-way and the service sent south after he took over. Forgetful and simple things like refilling water was overlooked. Food was great if only all of staff were on the same page.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceSchmooVIPDined on 9/4/2014Treated ourselves to caviar before dinner. Great atmosphere, superb service (thanks Olga!), fantastic bar (and bartender). All around a classy nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Food31yearsDined on 8/2/2014We were looking for a great sea food restaurant to celebrate our 31st wedding. Sat upstairs had the best waitress and Maitre d who surprised us with a lovely dessert and congrats of our anniversary.Special Features:
- Wonderful Sea BassOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely dinner. The food was excellent, as was the wine. We will put it on our go there again list.Special Features:
- luvgoodfoodDined on 7/12/2014the ambiance was great. the sea bass was average. the risotto was not cooked. the chicken was straight out of a mediocre cafeteria. we were ignored most of the night and our waitress tried to make up for it with a mediocre tiramisu. I will.not recommend to any of our friends.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceBettyDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is located in the middle of a very walkable area of downtown San Diego, so no need to worry about parking. We ordered the pear salad that was one of the best salads we've ever eaten. I followed this up with the lamb osso bucco, which was incredibly tasty. My husband's entree was also very good. The serving sizes are very adequate and satisfying. The restaurant has a large wine cellar and the wine angel is hoisted up with cables to retrieve bottled of wine. On the back of the hoist are wings, making the angle image complete. We enjoyed our meal tremendously.Special Features:
- Expensive yet ordinary menuFoodLovermanDined on 7/11/2014I thought that the menu was quite ordinary given the price. Was not too happy with my order. I ordered the Chilean Sea bass. I often judge a restaurant on weather or not I think I could cook the same dish at my home just as well. They over cooked the Sea bass and used a star of anise to create a sauce for the risotto. I thought that I could cook a better sea bass at home with simpler ingredients. I did not think that the side dishes were proportionately priced. At some point you realize that you are not necessarily paying those prices for the food but you are paying for the ambiance of the restaurant. There are better restaurants with cheaper food and ambiance that is just as well. The need to improve the food to match the price.Special Features:
- Always A PleasureTJnBJDined on 7/6/2014We are locals and this is our sixth time there. They are a constant. This is where we bring guests and don't want anything to go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014So we ended up looking for a restaurant at 10PM. We ordered the mussels appetizer and they arrived...exploded. Every other mussel looked like they blew up in their shell. When the waiter came to ask how they were we told him and he was friendly but didn't do anything about it. Later I got the caviar sushi while my date got the salmon. She really loved hers. Mine was as close to rubber as anything I've ever eaten. The waiter never came back to check about that. Eventually a manager checked on us - one of the few couples left in the restaurant - and we told her what happened. She comped the mussels and offered us dessert and cards for free apps. Which was very nice. But with a sharp pain coming from the sushi we just went back to the hotel.Special Features:
- Attention to DetailJustinClark1023Dined on 7/1/2014I made a reservation about an hour before going in. I also made a note on my Open Table Reservation that it was my friends birthday. We sat down, ordered, ate..the food was delicious and the service was fantastic. At the end, they brought my friend a little birthday dessert. I didn't even have to worry about reminding them or anything, they read the reservation notes and responded. It's nice to know they honor special requests and read the reservation notes. Thanks!Special Features:
- Delicious Food! Great Service!OutofTownersDined on 6/28/2014We had a wonderful family gathering at the restaurant. Every item of food and drink we ordered was exceptional! We will praise and recommend this eatery highly to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer Service need work...tabemasuDined on 6/27/2014Although the ambiance and the food was good, this restaurant was sadly disappointing on the customer service end. Being the only Asians in the restaurant, we felt neglected. The only time the waiter was friendly was when he brought the check to us. Guess he thought it would get him a big tip...BIG Mistake. I must admit that the oysters were very good. We also picked this restaurant because they advertised 1/2 price happy hour menu, but only if you sit in the lounge area and that detail was not advertised. They would not allow us to order from the happy hour menu even though we had a child with us (reason for not sitting in the lounge area and they seated us there). Great customer service goes a long way!Special Features:
- cleminsdDined on 6/24/2014A really lovely dining experience. Food was delicious and prepared just as ordered. Wait staff were delightful, friendly and knowledgeable. There was no rush between courses and the atmosphere was very pleasant. Can't wait to dine here again.Special Features:
- The following 200 reviews are from the Osetra The Fishhouse reviews archive.
- Mediocre ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014I really wanted to like Osetra but unfortunately was disappointed. I was in town for business and I really wanted to have a nice seafood dinner. The overall ambiance was great, we sat outside, it was a lovely night and the people watching was fun. The service was ok but not great, our server would disappear for long stretches at a time. The food was my biggest disappointment. I ordered the sea bass and I was served a huge chunk of meat about 5 inches thick that was very tough and hard to cut. I really had to saw at it to get a bite and in the end I didn't eat much of it. The sides that came with the fish were actually quite good but I didn't order the sea bass to eat potatoes and green beans. Overall, a mediocre experience.
- Seafood GemfinedinerDined on 6/15/2014Osetras is a beautiful restaurant located downtown San Diego with a delicious menu selection, from the appetizers to the main entree dishes to the desserts. Everything was mouth watering, everything we ordered tasted delicious. We got to meet Chef Giovanni to personally thank him for an awesome Father's day experience. Kudos to Chef Giovanni and all the staff who were very attentive to our needs. I highly recommend this restaurant for their delicious food, the ambiance, and the friendly and attentive staff.Special Features:
- Excellent wait stafflinkssterDined on 6/7/2014The wait staff was attentive but not overbearing which was great. We were not in a rush but wanted to take our time. They were respectful to that. Plus, the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food ever!!Food4thoughtDined on 6/6/2014Extremely pleased with the food selections they provide and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for the fishDaveDined on 6/2/2014I sat outside by the sidewalk to see people ps by. Sashimi tuna was really seared ahi but delicious and rare. Oysters so fresh. Scallops topped with caviar in blodd orange sauce reduction. Heavenly.Special Features:
- HappyCamperDined on 5/30/2014a nice street side seafood cafe in a great location to people watchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- closed early on a Thursday nightyumyumDined on 5/29/2014When my husband and I arrived, we were told that they were closing early because it was pretty slow. I guess it would have been nice to know when we made dinner reservations thru Open Table. So I am unable to rate this restaurant.
- Great birthday dinnereisenbmiDined on 5/25/2014Osetra was delicious! The waiter was very friendly and knowledgable. The bone-in rib eye just melted in your mouth. We shared it and an order of asparagus. Excellent! Highly recommended. We will be back to try other entrees. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJsprague56VIPDined on 5/25/2014Our waiter was neither skilled nor responsive. We arrived at 430 to enjoy outside dining and happy hour. Since we sat outside we were told that "happy hour was only at the bar." The waiter offered a "free appetizer." We ordered glasses of wine and he came out and spilled them in my lap. He then only brought back one glass of wine and handed my wife the wine list, which was still dripping from the spilled wine. Salad, appetizer and dinner took two hours. The waiter seemed more interested in a girl sitting at the bar. The bill was incorrect and we had to ask for it to be changed (charged us for the wine and appetizer even though he promised they would be "comped" due to spilling all over me).
- Forget about The Fish MarketMNoonanDined on 5/24/2014My usual go to seafood restaurant in downtown San Diego is The Fish Market, but, it's often difficult to get into, due to heritage and popularity. I used Yelp and Restaurant.com to look for alternatives, when I couldn't book a reservation at The Fish Market. I stumbled upon Osetra and I've replace my favorite place now! Excellent service, delicious menu, eclectic ambiance, just what I was looking for. I eagerly anticipate my next visit to San Diego so I can return to Osetra!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/21/2014service and entrees were good. the gnochi was very good. we were a little disappointed by the dessert and they were ok, chocolate lava cake wasn't hot and the dessert selection wasn't very imaginative.
- Nice Food in the GaslampchefmarianDined on 5/16/2014What meal could be bad when you are starting with oysters? And they give you a homemade cocktail sauce that is out of this world great! Follow that with a yummy salad and finish with Sea Bass, Risotto and Asparagus? Good choice for a night out in the Gaslamp. Shout House with dueling pianos and singing at the top of your voice is only 3 or 4 blocks away! So much fun to create a full night downtown.Special Features:
- Great food and enjoyable settingFernbank08Dined on 4/27/2014This was an outstanding choice for our dinner in SAN Diego. Our waiter, John, couldn't have been nicer. The decor was pleasant and relaxing, I.e. Not too noisy. We had trouble finding a parking place, being unwilling to spend $20.00 for a tiny space in a public lot. They do have valet parking for $10, but we didn't know that.Special Features:
- Osetra The FishhouseLuv2Dine1227Dined on 4/19/2014My wife and I were very impressed by the romantic ambiance of the restaurant. They had an excellent jazz group and singer there as well. I ordered the salmon entree and my wife ordered the mahi mahi . There was just a little mishap with my wife's order, but overall, I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Post Engagement DinnerChantraDined on 4/19/2014It was excellent, they turned what would've seemed like a normal date, into something special with my new fiance. As soon as they found out we just got engaged, they brought us free champagne to celebrate, and offered us dessert on the house. They made us feel very special, they were the cherry on top of our day.Special Features:
- parkingLinkDined on 3/30/2014There was no valet parking. Droved around for 30 mins looking for parking. Finally I asked a nearby establishment if I could use their valet parking and they let me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dinePtignerDined on 3/14/2014Wonderful experience from start to finish. Would highly recommend this place to anyone heading to San Diego. Our new fav now out there. Must go and enjoy the food , service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014This restaurant is two blocks from the US Grant Hotel where I was staying, call my attention the great variety of seafood plates when I was checking the menu on line, but honestly it was beyond my expectations, the service, ambience and food were exceptional, highly recommend Cioppino a perfect mix of clams, crab, shrimp, mussels, fish, linguini on a light tomato broth, just delicious!!! It was so easy to book reservations on line, very impressed with the presentation of the dishes and how wonderful, well timed and friendly was my service, definitely a place to come back to try more dishes, and suggest to friends that visit San DiegoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downhill from drinksFoodieMomDined on 3/8/2014Sat nite reservation for 7:45 but not seated until 8:15. Drinks at bar were delish, appys pretty good and dinner was disappointing. 2 of 3 dinners had a lame sear on yellowtail and scallops. Service, while friendly and knowledgeable, was very slow. We waited 20-30 min for entrees ... AFTER we were already finished with appys. For a $350 meal will not go back.