Osaka Japanese Steakhouse
2631 Southtown Dr
Bloomington, MN 55431Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Osaka Japanese Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.osakausa.com/
- Phone: (952) 884-3633
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11:00am-2:30pm Mon-Fri Dinner 4:30pm-10:00pm Mon-Thur 4:30pm-11:00pm Friday 12:00pm-11:00pm Saturday 12:00pm-10:00pm Sunday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Osaka Japanese Steakhouse
At Osaka Seafood Steakhouse, you will enjoy our unique cuisine and friendly atmosphere. We serve only the freshest, highest quality food. For an unforgettable, entertaining dining experience, sit at our hibachi grill and see our teppanyaki chefs put on a show for the entire family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Osaka Japanese Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance2.4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (6)special occasion (3)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Slow, but deliciousSushiLoverDined on 11/8/2014The service at this restaurant is very slow. I had a reservation for 8PM and my group did not get seated until 8:30PM. I requested not to be at the Hibachi grill tables, and somehow that was the only table available. We waited 20 minutes for our waiter to bring us drinks after ordering them. When it came time to order our food, none of us ordered Hibachi, as we weren't there for Hibachi, they got upset that we were at the table that I specifically said we did not want, so they moved us to another table. After that our service was pretty decent and the food was delicious. It was just the wait that was long, one of my friends actually left before we got our food, because she had to work early in the morning and could not wait any longer.Special Features:
- Great sushi!ArinDined on 10/5/2014We tried out a variety of sushi choices and they were all delicious. The toasted salmon skin roll was a favorite, as was the avocado maki. Service was very friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better suited for dinneraveragemidclassDined on 9/19/2014We went for lunch, and, as usual the food was great, but the whole experience was different since there was literally only 1 other couple in the hibachi room. It was almost awkward since we were the only ones there for the chef to perform for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We were seated in the main dining area, not the hibbachi area. The noise level from the hibbachi made it hard to converse. It would be nice if the non hibacchi dining was in a separate slightly more sound proof room . The food was good, but the order form and menu were confusing and our waiter did not understand our questions so we ended up ordering something that we did not want and did not eat.
- REALLY loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Loud enough that I actually cringed a few times. Hibachi chefs were good, but only one waiter for the entire restaurant to handle orders, drinks and bussing on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Osaka Japanese Steakhouse reviews archive.
- It's EntertainmenttwalterVIPDined on 7/5/2014FouA-r of our six folks had never done this gig. Wide eyes and good food. Chef show is B+. Food is A-. Enjoy.Special Features:
- fun for groupstherapistconnieDined on 5/11/2014I took my adult children out for their birthdays and had a great time. The show that the chef put on was entertaining. We laughed and had fun. The food was good and he cooked my steak the way I wanted it. This is not an inexpensive restaurant but you are also paying for teh show. I would return and recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Didn't Check in OpenTableTravelerVIPDined on 4/30/2014Neither hostess nor manager knew how to confirm my reservation, which just requires tapping the touch screen. Floor was still wet from mopping just before opening for lunch.
- Quality has declinedluvbrunchVIPDined on 4/25/2014Osaka in Bloomington used to be a nice alternative to other big more expensive Japanese Steakhouses (the hana), however between the lack of quality in the food and the lack luster service the last two visits--- I would much rather spend more and eat at BH. The chef rushed through our food preperation in under 20 minutes.... the whole purpose of coming is to watch the chef put on a show! It was not even busy on a Friday night, so there was no reason to rush us through. The filet the guy next to me ordered looked like a piece of chewed up fat... my "cheap sirloin" looked better than his... and he thought the same. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Great food bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/28/2014My mom and I went there at 12:30 for a "late" lunch and the server, hostess and basically all if the employees seemed annoyed. Actually receded our server took a very long time to come to our table and ask us what we wanted, no greeting! After we got our food we did not have any silverware, napkins or plates so we asked the lady who brought our food to bring us these things and she said it was our servers responsibility but brought it reluctantly. The only nice thing about our dining experience was the food it was outstanding otherwise it was a horrible experience!Special Features:
- fun for all agesanniversaryDined on 3/9/2014We really enjoyed the hibachi show. We shared our table with a friendly family and everyone enjoyed the show. It is high energy and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POOR CUSTMER SERVICEBettyBoopDined on 3/2/2014We have decided to not go back to this Bloomington one again. The hostess tried to put us with a table of 5 people already and were a group of 5.. It would of gave us NO room at all! She was not friendly - acted like we were bugging her. The waitress was not that good even I gave her more than 15% tip, they never did my daughters boyfriends birthday, There as a group of 3 sitting with us and they gave the grandma the birthday head piece to put on and never came back. When she did come back then she wasn't that nice about it. My thing is we are the customers and they were not CUSTMER FRIENDLY AT ALL!! In fact our group of 5 said we will NOT go back to Osaka at ALL!!!! This place really needs to work on their CUSTOMER SERVICE...
- nobody homeEEntzDined on 3/1/2014I made my reservation on Open Table for noon on a Saturday. Got there at noon. No lights on. Door locked. No signs indicating some reason it might be closed at noon Saturday despite the fact that on the door the hours for Saturday were posted from 11:00 AM. Went to the Big Bowl and had great food there.
- EhSSSSDined on 1/31/2014We came here for Sushi - hibachi looked more exciting. I was entirely not impressed with the tuna sushi - it was the icky ground up kind. Kind of gross to have ground tuna posing as sushi. I take understand in a roll - but don't place it on top and pretend. Service was fine - the building was cold cold cold.
- Great ExperienceAdamDined on 1/25/2014We went with a group of 10 people for a company night out, and we had a blast! Excellent food, very entertaining service!Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/18/2014We were a bit questionable but location was perfect for us that evening. And once we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The decor and layout are amazing. We did the Hibachi and it was wonderful. The cooks were entertaining to our entire family. We have been spreading the word and can't wait to go back. Both my daughters are claiming that is where they want to celebrate their next bdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hibachi Grill was a greatLuthDined on 1/17/2014The Hibachi Grill was a great event for my wife's birthday. We will defenitley be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible customer serviceLmuellerDined on 1/11/2014When our group arrived (on-time) for our 6:30pm reservation I sat at the hostess stand waiting to even be acknowledged for over 10 min. I should have known then that the customer service wasn't going to be stellar. When the hostess finally showed, I told her that our party went from 8 down to 6. She proceeded to walk us over to a hibachi table already occupied by 3 people. I told her that this would not be ok and she said "I will bring table". She actually expected someone from our party to be sat separately from the rest of the group. As I looked around I saw 3 completely open tables. At this point I went over to who I assumed was the manager (no nametags or identification). They did move us but it set the air for the entire event.
- NYE 2013AFHowieDined on 12/31/2013Visited with 2 other couples before we did our NYE excursions and had a great time. One of the members of our party had not been to this type of experience before and was greatly impressed! I would for sure visit again in a group or as a couple and most likely be just as impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place to Eat and Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013My two kids, My wife and I had a great time. The chef was very entertaining and the food was incredible! I definitely recommend your restaurant to all my friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy hibachi in BloomingtonCincyGirlinMNDined on 12/7/2013Was looking for a non-franchise gem of a hibachi restaurant and I found it. Would go here over Benihana any day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrozenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Everything was what we expected from Osaka, except that it was about 55 degrees with a stiff breeze in there. It was very uncomfortable. We were told that the breeze was from the fans venting the hibachi smoke out of the dining area which makes sense in theory, but in reality I would rather smell other people's food and be comfortable then freeze. The waiter seemed to think that turning the heat on the hibachi would fix the problem, but it didn't come close, and it was difficult to communicate this to the staff because nobody seemed to speak English all that well. Plus the staff forgot it was my wife's birthday. Frustrating experience, we won't be back.
- Go to other Osaka's NOT BloomingtonSushiLover101Dined on 12/3/2013This is the second time I have been here and both times the service was just AWFUL. I thought I would give them a second chance as maybe they had a bad day but the service was too consistent to be just bad days. The waitress would not smile and she was curt. Apparently they close between lunch and dinner because as we sat chatting after our late lunch they turned the lights off on us! All they had to do was kindly inform us and we would have paid and move on but instead they just leave us sitting in the dark! Unreal. Every other Osaka I have been to (I have been to 2 others) the service was great! I will not be back to this one again!
- We had a fun family birthdayMikeDined on 12/1/2013We had a fun family birthday dinner, and it was an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So funSueMVIPDined on 11/20/2013I have been to a few Hibachi restaurants but this one had the best chef I've ever experienced. He was quite the performer! We had a great time and would go back.Special Features:
- Lots to eat!melikesushiDined on 11/16/2013The food was very good with plenty to take home! Not common for the hibachi dinners. Great food, not a factory of feeding. Will definitely make this our choice for hibachi going forward.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A piece of metal wire in my food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2013My rating, and this comment, is entirely based on something I found in my food. I bit into a bite full of food (cooked on the grill top), and I found a 1 inch long piece of, what I assume is, the wire brush that the chef uses to scrub down the cook top. It poked me in the roof of my mouth. I brought it to the manager and he apologized. I was a bit surprised when the bill came and there was no discount, not even for my meal (we had a reservation for 10). I did not raise that issue with the manager when we left. I felt that if they were concerned about my future business (notwithstanding my health), they might have considered something without a request. We will not eat there again.
- EvaluationPeteDined on 10/15/2013Food and service were great. The sauces were not good. Too mild. There should be a mustard sauce with zing and a sweeter sauce. Suggest the manager visit Beni Hana just to taste its far superior sauces. I would return more to Osaka if it changed the sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and pricesDaveVIPDined on 10/10/2013Since one can find sushi on any corner these days, it's pretty hard to find bad sushi or sushi that stands out. So, like many others, Osaka offers good sushi but at great prices. Also, the staff is very attentive and understanding, especially since we brought our five year old and two four year olds. I would definitely suggest Osaka for anybody looking for sushi at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osaka GrillBeebsbirthdayDined on 10/7/2013The entire experience was outstanding, Everyone in our party of 7 had a marvelous time and realy enjoyed the chef and the food he preparedSpecial Features:
- DeliciousFancyDined on 10/4/2013As always, food was good. Sushi chefs were great. Server was a little scarce when we wanted bill though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodWWintDined on 9/28/2013I love the excitement that is created with the chefs. Dinner for two is a great deal and you get more than enough food!Special Features:
- bday dinneralwaysbriDined on 9/18/2013our chef was great,made us laugh,cooked the food perfectly, and change our pick off the menu to our preferenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!aimerDined on 8/23/2013Great service and great food. Look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun as usualYumYumDined on 8/6/2013Osaka is always a fun place to eat; especially for birthdays. Food is always good; the show is great, and the saki shots are fun!Special Features:
- Special dinner for grandkids.Changirl1Dined on 7/30/2013We had a group of six and joined a fun couple already seated. Our 12 year old grandkids had never experienced that type of dining. Our chef paid extra attention to the children and he put on quite a show for all of us. The food was great. I think we all ordered something different and everyone was totally happy with the dinner. Loved the salad too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, & ourSueGDined on 7/27/2013Food was very good, & our Chef was excellent! We always have a great time & this was no exception!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Servicealiole2011Dined on 7/22/2013The restaurant itself is great! We always love the food and our chefs and the show but I was very disappointed in the wait service. We had a large group of people, but we weren't very demanding. We didn't receive all of the food we ordered even though we asked multiple times and no one got refills the whole dinner until we were getting our checks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Night Out!LisaODined on 6/30/2013We went to Osaka in Bloomington to celebrate several June birthdays. We had a great time on the Hibachi side of the restaurant. Sam - our chef - was lots of fun. The kids LOVED it. The food was really good, reasonably priced and we were completely full when we left. It was a great choice for a fun night out. Our family also often goes to Osaka for sushi. The food is great and the prices, even better. I highly recommend Osaka.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi with friendsseandmDined on 6/20/2013the food was very good and the server was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.