Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
416 W Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.orzokitchen.com/
- Phone: (434) 975-6796
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm,
Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tommy Lasley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Orzo offers full service off-premise catering for weddings, as well as all social, corporate and political functions. Whatever you can envision, we can create. Please call and ask to speak with Ken about your next event.
- Special Events: Christmas Eve Dinner: 4 Courses for $50/person plus drinks, tax and gratuity.
New Year's Eve Dinner: 4 Courses for $50/person plus drinks, tax and gratuity.
A word from Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
Recently Voted "Best Mediterranean Restaurant of C-Ville," Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar is committed to fostering relationships with local farmers in Central Virginia who grow and raise the ingredients that are sure to nourish and delight you. As our guest, you will not only be treated to the bounty and tradition of sustainable agriculture in this region, you will participate in ensuring its future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (40)good for groups (23)romantic (20)great for lunch (16)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always something newKFoxVIPDined on 11/17/2014I love Orzo because it's always reliable (great food, attentive service, exciting wine choices) but there's always something new to try on the menu. Often I meet friends at the bar for a glass of red and several shared plates -- it's perfection in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacefromVADined on 11/15/2014Orza has been in business for 8 years, but this was our first visit. It was a little loud, but the food was great, as was the service. The staff was helpful and friendly and we appreciated the convenient parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to gatherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/11/2014Our department schedules many recruitment dinners at this restaurant as the food is good, great service, and it's convenient to the hospital. I've not heard one negative thing (nor one to report) about Orzo.Special Features:
- Always Excellentchester2Dined on 11/7/2014This is our "go to" every time we come down to Charlottesville. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at OrzoPGBUKDined on 11/3/2014Both the service and the food are exemplary. The restaurant has a pleasant ambience and relaxing atmosphere. Initially, we had difficulty with parking but Orzo staff informed us that we could park in the spacious market lot beside the restaurant after 5pm - don't be alarmed by signs threatening towing.Special Features:
- Absolutely AmazingFigureIPDined on 11/3/2014I love this place. I hadn't been there in a few years, but I'm so glad I came back. The food was incredible, the service was great, and I couldn't have had a better time. I'm thrilled that Orzo has remained as good as they've always been, and hope to get ther emore often in the future. Great!Special Features:
- Reservation was Ready!LcargoDined on 10/31/2014So nice to arrive at a restaurant and have our reservation ready (something that doesn't happen at many places). Service was attentive and food was prompt and tasty. Wish the Parmesan cheese on my Caesar salad and offered for pasta wasn't from a can though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful use of Local FoodSunnyVIPDined on 10/29/2014You start with absolutely delectable hummus. The waitress was very kind and brought cucumber slices to accompany it. The salad greens had arrived that morning from a local farm and were gorgeous, add some feta, toasted almonds and just the right amount of a light lemon dressing and it was the perfect beginning. The scallops were the evening special, perfectly cooked and they again altered the dish due to dietary restrictions. I also ordered several items to go all of which received excellent reviews. Staff is very knowledgeable and goes out of their way to please. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Mixed resultspeterDined on 10/14/2014Excellent service, good wine list, carpaccio with wonderful fried boiled egg (sounds weird-boiled egg fried in bread crumbs) was excellent, as as my wife's mac and cheese but my vegetarian risotto with "autumnal" vegetables was bland. If you aren't happy with a dish they won't charge you even if you try to pay.They really make a huge effort to please. Hard to argue with that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.KatiemooDined on 10/11/2014Food and service were both excellent. The only complaint is that our table was only about 6 inches from the next table over, so it was hard to have our own conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and food - LOUD!JMVenhausVIPDined on 10/10/2014Other than being barely able to think over the din of this loud and crowded place, we had an excellent meal. Our server made excellent recommendations for both wine and food. He clearly understood the importance of a proper pairing. Our meals were delicious, and the wine a delight. My only complaint would be the closeness of the tables and the noise. When I dine out, I enjoy conversation with my own dining companions, but am uninterested in the family drama of the tables to my left and right. At this place, it is inevitable that you will be in the middle of someone else's conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerLovethisplaceDined on 10/6/2014Went to Orzo for anniversary dinner with family. Great experience. The food, the wine, the derive, all outstanding. Our Go-To place in C'Ville.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014great visit, everything fresh, locally sourced, wait staff, attentive and knowledgeable. can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- firstreviewDined on 10/2/2014service was TERRIBLE. slow and rude, and then they wouldn't let us order more wine, even though we were not acting loud or disruptive.
- Fun ExperienceJOBAYDined on 9/27/2014We came here for a bachelorette weekend dinner. No one in our group was from the area. We had a great time and the food was fantastic. It is rare that with a large group every person's meal comes out hot but all of ours did! It is certainly not the place to dine if you want to only stay for an hour but the pace of the meal was great for conversation and cocktails.Special Features:
- Food is Fantastic!SueAnneDined on 9/27/2014This was our first trip to Charlottesville and we choose Orzo based on the reviews from Open Table. We were not disappointed. The food was fantastic! The service was first class! Wish we lived closer so that we could return more often. The only negative is that the tables are very close together.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Took awhile to be seated due to no maître d. Once we were seated the service and food were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another enjoyable dinnercalkauaigirlVIPDined on 9/26/2014Arrived to find the place was packed. The owner Ken was still calm and easy going, and we were seated promptly. Enjoyed the food and their well thought out wine list. Will be back.Special Features:
- Relaxed, fine fooddiningduoDined on 9/23/2014Great service, attentive to customer needs. Great choice and interesting flavors combined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great anniversary dinner spotjptncDined on 9/20/2014I knew about Orzo from my first visit to Charlottesville in February. I instantly enjoyed the farm to table approach, combined with a few great selection of wines and beers. So made sure to go for our anniversary dinner and again I was thrilled, and so was my wife. We really enjoyed the cold butchers plate. We would have stayed longer, if it weren't for an hour and a half ride back to our cabin. Great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for all tastes!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our time there Saturday evening very much. There was a birthday in the party which was acknowledged with a menu that said Happy Birthday and a candle in the dessert of the particular person. Pretty cute! Half of our party dislikes onions and garlic and the chefs graciously prepared their meals to their liking. All four meals in the party were fabulous! Will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- TravelersDined on 9/13/2014The food was outstanding. Our servers were extremely knowledgable about the food preparation and made excellent suggestions. We were also impressed by the attention to detail eg. Cleaning the table and new silverware between courses, and always refilling water glasses. Whenever we visit Charlottesville, this will be one of our stops.Special Features:
- RicoDined on 9/12/2014The food was fantastic, the wine list was great and the service was excellent! Our first seating was upstairs and it was really cold. The staff quickly accommodated our request to relocate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Work LunchLtCarpDined on 9/2/2014Brought the office crew in for lunch and everyone enjoyed their meal tremendously. Don't like sitting next to the open door really, but everything else was wonderful.Special Features:
- wonderful mealwinebotDined on 8/31/2014our second time there and a wonderful meal again. Kind hosts, great pasta and the chilled corn soup will leave you wanting to lick the bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 8/30/2014We mistakenly showed up for a 8:45 reservation at 7:45 (don't ask) and the owner/manager laughed and after rearranging a few tables, made a space for our party of 5 on a very busy Saturday night. We were so impressed with his attitude and willingness to work with us! Not withstanding, the food was excellent and the evening turned out to be delightful! We will certainly return (and hopefully, soon!).Special Features:
- Fabulous food!DiningmavenVIPDined on 8/30/2014Boy were we pleased with this place. Have been to many Charlottesville places in the last 4 years with our daughter a student there, and only came here as a "second choice"... but what a delightful surprise. Every single dish was a gem, interesting and carefully prepared, perfectly matching an interesting Spanish Chardonnay, and served with casual but very skillful professionalism. Octopus in the Virginia mountains, and prepared correctly, even elegantly. Convenient location with easy parking close the deal. Much to choose from, you won't go wrong.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014eh. i wouldn't return here. the pork chop was absolutely amazing but the salmon dish was really lackluster. the service was not good. very slow, took for-ever to get the bill..wouldn't return. there are too many other places that i prefer.
- FunSteamedPorkBunVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was just in town for two nights and stumbled into this place towards the end of the dinner hours. Really relaxed feel with nice, interesting people both behind the bar and at it. I had spaghetti with pork belly and corn and a nice smoky carbonara sauce. Good meal, and reasonably-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sounds exotic but not!cupcakegalVIPDined on 8/23/2014The interesting sounding on-line menu turned out to be quite bland for our party of 8. What was supposed to be cold corn chowder was in fact a very intense lime sauce. Although our server corrected this serving mistake and told us that we saved the whole restaurant from being served the wrong thing (we were early eve diners) she did nothing more to compensate. Of our 8 different entrees only the halibut dish was flavorful. Also entree serving sizes were small for the price! Our 2 appetizer, one a Heirloom Tomato Salad, other w Hullomi Cheese were quite tasty however several in party left restaurant still hungry. It was a very expensive dinner for one that did not satisfy appetites or engage palates! We will not return or recommend.
- No reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014nice as usual - this was a recruitment dinner and the gentleman was from UNC. He thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambience.Special Features:
- Food is consistently delicious.KathyDined on 8/18/2014This is a great restaurant. I have been eating here for years and it is my daughter's favorite restaurant. Great drinks, excellent wine list, diverse food options - all delicious. Creative comfort food as well as innovative dishes.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantVirginiavegetarianDined on 8/18/2014The service was attentive, the wine list has some gems, and the food is inventive without being overly fussy. Gluten free and vegan choices are always on the menu. The quality of the ingredients is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014we were here last Friday. The food was generally very good and service great. Only one member of our party really didn't like his food. It was the ravioli with capers on top.... the capers made it WAY too salty....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Best lemon vinegrette I have ever had. Great pasta and excellent wine listSpecial Features:
- Highly recommend OrzoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Whenever I think of celebrations or special gatherings, I think Orzo is the place to go. It has a great location, atmosphere and of course great menu and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairest of the FareDaisyDined on 8/12/2014Orzo's menu is innovative without being overly self-aware, pretentious, or too busy. Use of fresh, seasonal vegetables and flowers and locally sourced and sustainable meats is de rigueur these days, but the chefs at Orzo have a knack for updating comfort foods and fusing cuisines that is exciting and original. In fact the young chefs at Orzo are among the best in town. The front of the house is unerringly welcoming and the price point is reasonable--worth every penny. All of this, combined with a terrific wine list, good service, a well stocked bar and tasty drinks list, foodie destination location, ease of parking, and a comfortable, warm atmosphere amenable to large groups or intimate dates, make Orzo a gem.Special Features:
- My favoriteTravelerDined on 7/30/2014I live in a different state but I tell everyone Orzo's my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday DinnerbdaygalDined on 7/28/2014I have been coming to Orzo for years. Mostly I come for special occasions, like birthdays, due to it's cost. Orzo reawakens the taste buds from the usual fare. I came to Orzo for my birthday on Monday because I wanted to be at my favorite, special place. I enjoyed the food and the ambience.The appetizer of tomato, mozzarella and tomato was wonderful.The salmon dish was also very good and and a nice size portion. Dessert was the best. The waitress was quite friendly and efficient. I had a delightful birthday and did not feel rushed. I will continue to come to Orzo, maybe try lunchtime due to expense,Special Features:
- Great Food, Service And Wine Listmotti29Dined on 7/26/2014We visited Orzo for the first time during Restaurant Week and were very happy with our experience. Our server was knowledgeable and prompt, and the wine list was extensive with many choices at multiple price points. Orzo particularly did an amazing job with their restaurant week menu. They offered an extensive selection of menu items and the portions were much larger than other places we've dined for restaurant week. We would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 302 reviews are from the Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar reviews archive.