Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
416 W Main St
Charlottesville, VA 22903Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.orzokitchen.com/
- Phone: 4349756796x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm,
Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tommy Lasley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Orzo offers full service off-premise catering for weddings, as well as all social, corporate and political functions. Whatever you can envision, we can create. Please call and ask to speak with Ken about your next event.
- Special Events: Christmas Eve Dinner: 4 Courses for $50/person plus drinks, tax and gratuity.
New Year's Eve Dinner: 4 Courses for $50/person plus drinks, tax and gratuity.
A word from Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar
Recently Voted "Best Mediterranean Restaurant of C-Ville," Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar is committed to fostering relationships with local farmers in Central Virginia who grow and raise the ingredients that are sure to nourish and delight you. As our guest, you will not only be treated to the bounty and tradition of sustainable agriculture in this region, you will participate in ensuring its future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Charlottesville ›
Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (39)notable wine list (39)romantic (28)great for lunch (15)good for groups (13)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014our second time there and a wonderful meal again. Kind hosts, great pasta and the chilled corn soup will leave you wanting to lick the bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 8/30/2014We mistakenly showed up for a 8:45 reservation at 7:45 (don't ask) and the owner/manager laughed and after rearranging a few tables, made a space for our party of 5 on a very busy Saturday night. We were so impressed with his attitude and willingness to work with us! Not withstanding, the food was excellent and the evening turned out to be delightful! We will certainly return (and hopefully, soon!).Special Features:
- Fabulous food!DiningmavenVIPDined on 8/30/2014Boy were we pleased with this place. Have been to many Charlottesville places in the last 4 years with our daughter a student there, and only came here as a "second choice"... but what a delightful surprise. Every single dish was a gem, interesting and carefully prepared, perfectly matching an interesting Spanish Chardonnay, and served with casual but very skillful professionalism. Octopus in the Virginia mountains, and prepared correctly, even elegantly. Convenient location with easy parking close the deal. Much to choose from, you won't go wrong.Special Features:
- FunSteamedPorkBunVIPDined on 8/25/2014I was just in town for two nights and stumbled into this place towards the end of the dinner hours. Really relaxed feel with nice, interesting people both behind the bar and at it. I had spaghetti with pork belly and corn and a nice smoky carbonara sauce. Good meal, and reasonably-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sounds exotic but not!cupcakegalVIPDined on 8/23/2014The interesting sounding on-line menu turned out to be quite bland for our party of 8. What was supposed to be cold corn chowder was in fact a very intense lime sauce. Although our server corrected this serving mistake and told us that we saved the whole restaurant from being served the wrong thing (we were early eve diners) she did nothing more to compensate. Of our 8 different entrees only the halibut dish was flavorful. Also entree serving sizes were small for the price! Our 2 appetizer, one a Heirloom Tomato Salad, other w Hullomi Cheese were quite tasty however several in party left restaurant still hungry. It was a very expensive dinner for one that did not satisfy appetites or engage palates! We will not return or recommend.
- No reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014nice as usual - this was a recruitment dinner and the gentleman was from UNC. He thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambience.Special Features:
- Food is consistently delicious.KathyDined on 8/18/2014This is a great restaurant. I have been eating here for years and it is my daughter's favorite restaurant. Great drinks, excellent wine list, diverse food options - all delicious. Creative comfort food as well as innovative dishes.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurantVirginiavegetarianDined on 8/18/2014The service was attentive, the wine list has some gems, and the food is inventive without being overly fussy. Gluten free and vegan choices are always on the menu. The quality of the ingredients is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014we were here last Friday. The food was generally very good and service great. Only one member of our party really didn't like his food. It was the ravioli with capers on top.... the capers made it WAY too salty....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Best lemon vinegrette I have ever had. Great pasta and excellent wine listSpecial Features:
- Highly recommend OrzoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Whenever I think of celebrations or special gatherings, I think Orzo is the place to go. It has a great location, atmosphere and of course great menu and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairest of the FareDaisyDined on 8/12/2014Orzo's menu is innovative without being overly self-aware, pretentious, or too busy. Use of fresh, seasonal vegetables and flowers and locally sourced and sustainable meats is de rigueur these days, but the chefs at Orzo have a knack for updating comfort foods and fusing cuisines that is exciting and original. In fact the young chefs at Orzo are among the best in town. The front of the house is unerringly welcoming and the price point is reasonable--worth every penny. All of this, combined with a terrific wine list, good service, a well stocked bar and tasty drinks list, foodie destination location, ease of parking, and a comfortable, warm atmosphere amenable to large groups or intimate dates, make Orzo a gem.Special Features:
- My favoriteTravelerDined on 7/30/2014I live in a different state but I tell everyone Orzo's my favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday DinnerbdaygalDined on 7/28/2014I have been coming to Orzo for years. Mostly I come for special occasions, like birthdays, due to it's cost. Orzo reawakens the taste buds from the usual fare. I came to Orzo for my birthday on Monday because I wanted to be at my favorite, special place. I enjoyed the food and the ambience.The appetizer of tomato, mozzarella and tomato was wonderful.The salmon dish was also very good and and a nice size portion. Dessert was the best. The waitress was quite friendly and efficient. I had a delightful birthday and did not feel rushed. I will continue to come to Orzo, maybe try lunchtime due to expense,Special Features:
- Great Food, Service And Wine Listmotti29Dined on 7/26/2014We visited Orzo for the first time during Restaurant Week and were very happy with our experience. Our server was knowledgeable and prompt, and the wine list was extensive with many choices at multiple price points. Orzo particularly did an amazing job with their restaurant week menu. They offered an extensive selection of menu items and the portions were much larger than other places we've dined for restaurant week. We would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food goodSewadeeDined on 7/25/2014We found Orzo to be a good experience. We went during restaurant week. Service by Adriana was superb. Appetizers (excellent portions) were all very good. The main cousrse, a beef bolognese with rigatoni was good but WAY too much salt, so much so that we could not eat much of it. We will go back to try another dish as we liked the restaurant. When will restaurants stop loading their food with so much salt???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!juniorlynchDined on 7/23/2014Great food and service. The Tiramisu was the best I've ever had...simply amazing! We enjoyed the experience so much that we have already invited friends to join us for dinner later this week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week GemRbts0310Dined on 7/22/2014We dined at Orzo during restaurant week and we were pleasantly surprised at the service. We were expecting a little bit of a frenzy given other reviews we had read, but the staff was great, attentive, and knowledgeable. It did have a lively atmosphere so if you are hoping for a quieter meal this may not be the best option.Special Features:
- Terrific food, great waitstaffLMfoodiesDined on 7/22/2014Our group tried Orzo for the first time during Restaurant Week. The food exceeded our expectations but the place was packed and noise level way more than desirable. We had to shout at each other to be heard over the din. A larger, quieter venue would have made this a 5 star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014I have been many times and the food is always, and I mean always, incredible. Go! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner but no dessert!JillybeanDined on 7/21/2014Appetizers, salad & dinner were delicious. So figured desset would be equally as great, well....not so much! It was so busy we had to wait approximately 30-35 minutes to get our dessert and one dessert was unetible, and the other was okay, but nothing to write home about. So my take is excellent for appetizers & dinner, but just say no to dessert!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekjj40Dined on 7/20/2014Excellent food (as usual), irreproachable service. Keep doing what you're doing, Orzo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealJoe21Dined on 7/19/2014We were in town visiting from DC. Picked Orzo Kitchen based mainly on Yelp reviews. It happened to be Restaurant Week when we visited, which sometimes isn't the greatest, but this one flourished. The meal was one of the best I've had in a long time. My wife loved it too. We shared everything and liked it all. Standouts were the lamb and the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Orzo in Restaurant weekthetopdocDined on 7/19/2014We went for restaurant week. Price fixe meal of $29 was increased on average $4 per entree and $4 per hor's de orve if you wanted anything beyond pasta. Desert was not included. So, a misrepresentation to my mind. Service and food was great with attractive presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th birthday reservation for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Orzo was AMAZING! The service was fonominal. Our server knew the menu like the back of her hand and spent a lot of time reviewing many items (we couldn't decide what we wanted). I told them in advance that it was my fiance's birthday and they even had it printed on the menu. How cute! We ordered the stuffed squash blossoms, Greek salad, salmon, and risotto. Everything was to die for! Excellent excellent excellent. We will definitely be going back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKimuymlVIPDined on 7/11/2014Nice place with an interesting menu. Service was fine. Food was a bit mixed: octopus appetizer was chewy, wife's ravioli was very good. Limited dessert menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayDinerwinerDined on 6/30/2014Our appetizers were wonderful! There was an unidentifiable vegetable on my entree plate that did not taste good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in CvilledcodcoDined on 6/29/2014Our favourite restaurant in Cville. Food is always fantastic and they usually have interesting veggies like celeriac, which I have to grow myself cos few restaurants have it.Special Features:
- Wine loverslouieDined on 6/26/2014Everything that we ordered was delicious. Serving size was generous. We happened to go on a Thursday not knowing that wines by the glass were offered at a reduced rate ($6. and $8.) They call it "Thirsty Thursdays". The wines by the glass list was satisfactory.Special Features:
- Always Perfectchester2Dined on 6/22/2014Whenever we're in Charlottesville, Orzo Kitchen is always a"must go to" - great food, wine and friendly staff!Special Features:
- Excellent Service and MeallindawdwDined on 6/13/2014Anyone looking for an outstanding meal then visit Orzo Kitchen and Wine Bar as I don't think you'll be disappointed at all!!! I had a salmon dish that was the best salmon dish that I've ever had at a restaurant and that says a lot since I order fish all the time! My husband had the spaghetti bolognese which was great too! We both had a red wine that was suggested by our server that was an excellent choice. I had a dietary restriction and our server was very attentive to my needs. They have a vegetarian and gluten-free menu also at this restaurant! If you're planning on visiting the Charlottesville, VA area, I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent RisottoAshleyDined on 6/8/2014We were worried about the reviews saying the service was poor but were pleasantly surprised by the knowledgeable bar tender that waited on us. She was able to answer all of our questions and offered suggestions. Would visit Orzo again.Special Features:
- LOVE Orzo!foodieforeverDined on 6/7/2014Can't believe I have never been! We will definitely be back. Can't wait.Special Features:
- always enjoy our time hereWintertravelerDined on 6/1/2014We always enjoy Orzo and this evening was not an exception. The food is good and we love the ambiance. The service is friendly. They make an effort to respond to any requests. I can recommend Orzo without reservation. I particularly like the mussels. Orzo is casual and yet feels special. It is fun for a quick meal or with guests.Special Features:
- Good but slowFoodyDined on 6/1/2014Food was good. Restaurant was pretty empty. Our server seem to bring things out asap, but there was such a kong gap between the apps and dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK mealGlobalTravelerNDinerVIPDined on 6/1/2014I decided to give Orzo a try and felt that the food was OK but not fabulous. My waitress told me about the specials of the night but never mentioned a word about the 3-course $30 dinner specials on Sunday night. It was not on the menu but when I was about to leave the couple seated at the table next to mine asked the waitress about the $30 dinner special and that was when I found out. I felt that the waitress should have informed customers about that (why keep it as a secret?) when she was telling everyone about the special appetizer or entree for the night. I was annoyed by that.
- Mother's DayDavidDined on 5/11/2014Had a great Mother's Day dining experience at Orzo. Food was superb. The $30 value was extraordinary. Service was excellent. Really and exceptional experience.Special Features:
- The following 279 reviews are from the Orzo Kitchen & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Crab salad to die for!anniversarydinerDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I had never been to Orzo before, and now we know what we were missing. The restaurant design was amazing, the food(particularly the crab salad) was outstanding and lots of it was local/organic, and service was very good. We will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Nice to come backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2014Had dinner here 4 yrs ago.. Still a wonderful place... Great & varied menu & attentive service.. Pasta night on Monday was wonderful..above average section of wines. Lots of locals dinning that night. Owner came & chatted.. He's been here almost 8 years... Prices good.. Nice place if you are looking for something different with local touch in Charlottesville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Orzo Delivers AgainWIBuckyDined on 4/20/2014This was my second visit to Orzo. We had a group of three and came in on a Sunday evening. Little did we know they have a Sunday special that allows you to pick three items from the menu for a set price of $30--not bad considering most of the entrees are around $25. The first course of Chilled Spring Pea Soup was fantastic, the Rock Barn Pork Roast entree was also delicious and cooked perfectly, and the chocolate pot for dessert was the perfect way to end the meal. Our server was very friendly and attentive, however we did wait a fairly long time (15 or 20 minutes?) between the first course and the entree. Overall it was a great dining experience and I highly recommend giving Orzo a try.Special Features: