500 Liberty St SE
Salem, OR 97301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orupasalem.com/
- Phone: 5035883639
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Friday: 11:00am- 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Orupa
"The philosophy behind the food at ORUPA is rooted in my reverence for the natural state of ingredients. My goal is to help nature reveal its divine flavor, texture and bounty.”Continued
Using sustainable ingredients and supporting local farmers and artisans, the menu is of ORUPA (O-Oregon RUPA-Europe.)
Using sustainable ingredients and supporting local farmers and artisans, the menu is of ORUPA (O-Oregon RUPA-Europe.)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Orupa - Best Restaurants in Salem ›
Orupa reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (9)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (5)romantic (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Southsalemite54Dined on 9/6/2014We go often and have never been disappointed. The specials are always very good with unique salsas and sides.Special Features:
- Great DinnerHungrymanDined on 8/15/2014A very nice restaruant for adult dinner for family or business, good staff, and menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprised and pleasesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Having been in the business my wife and I are usually objectively critical. It's pleasurable for us to critique any dining experience we have. Orupa provided us one of the few truly enjoyable dining experiences in Salem since moving to the valley more than 20 years ago. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was really superb and creative! Great bar but maybe a little short in wine offerings. Will certainly go back when there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in SalemDrLungVIPDined on 7/20/2014It has not always been easy to find a first rate restaurant in Salem, but Orupa fits the bill. From very nice bar fare to an outstanding dinner, the entire evening was outstanding.Special Features:
- IMPRESSED !!!!RyanVIPDined on 6/14/2014He had a college grad dinner, party of 6. ABSOLUTELY IMPRESSED and surprised at the high quality service and food. We live in PDX and eat out at a zillion restaurants in Pearl/NW 23rd/Downtown, areas... and Orupa was on par or BETTER than many of those swanky PDX restaurants. Depending on your needs, this is a great place. We wanted a nicer/classy place for the graduation celebration - and Orupas was PERFECT!!!!Special Features:
- Great BurgerChristo4D4Dined on 6/2/2014The Salem Weekly had an article about the best burgers in the Mid-Valley with Orupa as number 1, so we had to try it out. The burger was juicy and the bun was perfectly portioned to the burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Orupa reviews archive.
- Food at its FinestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Orupa offers a dining experience - especially for dinner. My daughter had the Seared Ahi topped with a mango salsa and I had the Scampi. Both were beautifully presented and prepared - delicious. We shared an apple strudel for dessert - fabulous! Wait staff is professional and friendly.Special Features:
- Room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Four of us came for dinner to celebrate an event. The food was very good; everyone in our party thought so. The ambiance was nice. It seemeed like there was more noise that there should have been. Our waiter, though knowledgable about the menu, seemed insincere, like he really did not want to be there serving us. We payed the bill with cash, and when there was $20 missing from our change, the server corrected the mistake without appology.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner!GingerSDined on 4/21/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Orupa for my husband's 58th birthday. Being a Monday, few were there, but it was nice and quiet for my elder hearing. Waiter was professional, prompt, attentive, and friendly. Background music was modern, but not loud. Food was excellent! Not too much in quantity, so we were not stuffed, just nicely full on fabulous flavors. $5 Sangria is a nice touch, more zip that ice tea and less hit than a bottle of wine. I will return this Friday for lunch with my girlfriends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodParkerDined on 4/19/2014Food was excellent and everything about the place was great. The only negative I would have to say, is the wine list. There's better quality wines out there at the same price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, and atmosphereAP1983Dined on 4/18/2014Our food and drinks were amazing. Loved the modern yet casual atmosphere. Our server made some great recommendations and went the extra mile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local PlacelovesachoiceDined on 4/5/2014The food is always great with innovative specials. I have hosted a number of celebrations at Orupa's and everyone always loves it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been betterMoverbeckDined on 3/24/2014My wife and I had an interesting experience at Orupa. We came to dinner on a Monday evening, and were seated promptly by a friendly server, who made us feel welcome. We ordered two glasses of wine both of which were quite acceptable. We ordered a small plate to share as an appetizer. The olives, blue cheese and chickpea appetizer was absolutely delicious. My wife ordered the chicken and spinach salad; her dish was outstanding. My own gold-and-purple beet salad was tasty. The low(ish) point food-wise was dessert, which we almost did not order. Our crème brulee was cold inside and clearly had been waiting in the fridge, only to be blow-torched on top. Disappointing. Despite the low points to service and food, we will likely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014The overall experience was great! We all had fun and the food was great. The manager who had hung up on one of tthe people in our party has made so the 12 of us will not be returnign to the resturant.Special Features:
- Regular Day, YES, Occasion, NOSalemCoupleDined on 2/14/2014Although I wouldn't recommend Orupa for a "special occasion" dinner such as Valentines Day, I certainly recommend it on any other day. The food is amazing and the staff does an incredible job. The only downside I can mention is; if you are trying to have a romantic dinner, some of the tables are way too close to each other, so intimate conversations are impossible as complete strangers are almost at your table. The reason I wouldn't recommend it for "special occasions", such as Valentines Day is; the menu prices are inflated up to 50%, from any regular day. They should at least advertise a "special menu" for the night on their website. Don't get me wrong, I love this place and we will be back, just not on Valentines Day, ever again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy with mediocre foodMeghanDined on 2/14/2014Husband and I both ordered filets. Port wine reduction was good but meat was gristly. Nice vegetables and presentation. Dessert was tasty. Husband and I both commented that we didn't think we needed to go back again. Price for 2 with only one glass of wine was $120Special Features:
- Valentines DayKaciDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations on valentines day and couldn't find a sitter for our 9 month old. They were very accommodating and the chef (owner?) made him some fries as a treat at no cost. The food was excellent and the blood orange cocktail was delicious. I would definitely recomend this place, and we will be back. Tables were small but the waitress said they rented them just for valentines day and normally they are larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Orupa was nice. Not as nice as DiVinci's for the same price tag, though it got paid as the evening wore on and there wasn't a lot if privacy. Delicious food. Good portions, though the pot de creme was actually pretty large for such a rich dessert. It would make it a regular but we had a very enjoyable Valentine's Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has hopeHonestAnnieDined on 2/11/2014Some of the entrees where very good, others not so good. Pepper Steak excellent, Scallops over cooked, vinaigrette tasteless. The bread loaves were over cooked, The interior design was nice, with comfortable setting and beautiful table linens and dishes. The waitresses were nice, but not too friendly when the bar manager was within ear shot. His tone and words were harsh and when he did try to be nice, it came out as being condescending. The was true when he spoke to staff and with customers. The staff observed did not smile nor interact with each other. It did not appear to be a nice place to work.
- Dinner with the DaughterdihughesVIPDined on 1/18/2014Made 6:45 reservations which we were late for as the fog between Portland and Salem was quite thick. The restaraunt was easy to find although it is on Liberty Ave which is one way. We were seated promptly. We ordered three appetizers (always like to try new apps) and our meals. My daughter had the 12 oz ribeye special. I had the fettucine carbonara and my wife had the gnocchi. The appetizers were all very tasty and just enough to share. My daughters ribeye was well cooked but the cut was a little thin. I prefer my ribeye to be RIBEYE! The carbonara was served with pepporoni slivers. I always order this in any place that has it. I found their interpretation edible but lacking the classic peasant appeal of the original. All in all not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisey, very good food.JoeBDined on 1/10/2014The food was very good. The noise was very much a distraction. My mistake to go at 6:00PM on a Friday. it was inundated with happy hour clients; noise level was quite high. Seating 10 feet from the kitchen was the quietest table in the place at the time and incongruent with enjoying such good food. The waitress was overly theatrical with oohing and ahhing over the different menu items. She came across as practicing for the latest melodrama presentation at the Pentacle. The service was adequate, though not superb. This is a spendy Yuppie bar scene not suitable for any kind of intimate dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinnerluv23VIPDined on 12/12/2013My husband and I went there to celebrate his birthday. Everything from the food to the service was really great! Our waitress was very attentive without being bothersome and the food more than met our expectations. We have been here before and have not been disappointed. Kudos!Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/29/2013Another brilliant dinner. The food is always good and its presentation brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinner PlaceBailey123Dined on 10/26/2013The service and food was wonderful. This is a small restaurant with a classy feel. The restaurant seating is a bit of a challenge since the kitchen is open to the seating area on one side subjecting the booths across from the open kitchen to waiter traffic and noise. Avoid that by asking for a seat near the bar which is small and very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!rlgivensDined on 9/26/2013Loved their food, very well prepared and presentation was fabulous. Service was very good. The only unusual thing was I reserved online on Open Table and told her that when we walked in. My reservations stated that we be near a window/view and that we were there to celebrate a birthday. When she began to seat us she asked if we wanted to be in the TV room (next to the bar). We told her no and asked for a window table. A few minutes later I asked her if she read my Open Table request and wondered why she wanted to put us in the TV room. She said she read it but thought we wanted to watch football!! So...beware that your Open Table requests for this restaurant aren't read or honored!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerKokodaDined on 9/18/2013Enjoyed the sunset coming through the windows just as my wife opened her new earrings. Great atmosphere as a group of ladies were over in the corner by the bar. Looking forward to trying the Carrot Cake for dessert next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with some quirksluv4mushroomsDined on 8/27/2013My wife and I went our to dinner to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. I asked for a table in a quiet area, so my wife and I could enjoy some intimate conversations. The waitress said she had a good spot for us. She brought us to a table that was 4 feet from the kitchen! We could see and hear everything the chef's were doing. Every waiter/waitress had to walk next to our table to pick up all the customers orders. We selected the waiter recommended chefs specials. I ordered halibut over a bed of stuffed pasta and my wife ordered their beef special, each dinner was $26 - $27. When our meals came, the waiter said they ran out of stuffed pasta so the chef substituted shredded crab meat instead. Food was delicious, service was pleasant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good as usualBoboDined on 7/17/2013My wife and I have dined here for supper now about 4 times. We have lived in/near Salem a total of about 27 years. This is one of the best, ever, in Salem. Tasty food, good/moderate portions, friendly management and attentive servers.
- great dinner again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2013Came with 3 friends and each of us ordered a different entrée. All of us were happy with the presentation and each one was really good.(of course we were tasting each other's dinner). GREAT. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!LizaDined on 6/16/2013Food was excellent! Service fantastic! Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed at the endstillnotmarthaDined on 5/17/2013Lunch was nice, the french fries amazing and the waitstaff friendly. After I paid the bill, they didn't return the change. This must have been standard practice because I overheard the next table asking for their change. I intended on leaving a tip (larger than they received) but having to ask for change felt awkward and really dampened my experience.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013We had a two year old with us and although it is not necessarily a kid friendly restaurant, they made him a special plate that he loved! Great people, great food, great service. Love this place!Special Features:
- A Little DissapointingTJW2Dined on 5/9/2013Will post a comment on TripAdvisor. Love lunch service, dinner for a special occasion was a disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2013I have heard a lot about Orupa but wasn't really impressed. Our food was ok. I had the poached salmon which was moist and good but came with really bland flavorless rice and not quite warm vegetables with a rather bland cream sauce. My husband had the special pork loin wrapped in bacon. The pork was slightly overcooked. The sauce was goo as was the fried shrimp on top of each piece. But it came with fried dough fritters as the side dish which was weird and really heavy with the meat and fried shrimp. I think we will go back and try the happy hour bar menu which I have heard is good, but we won't come back for dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.