1038 Canada Place
Vancouver, BC V6C2G8Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orucuisine.com/
- Phone: 6046955500x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 6:30am - 11:30am
Breakfast: Saturday-Sunday 7:00am - 11:30am
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Buffet Brunch: Saturday-Sunday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Darren Brown
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Oru
A vibrant gathering place of celebration or an exclusive intimate dining experience for two; ORU is the perfect spot to savour food of the Pacific Northwest and flavours of the Pacific Rim. A marble and stainless steel open concept kitchen sets the stage upon which our innovative and talented chefs create extraordinary cuisine. Allow our dynamic and passionately-driven ORU team to guide you through a culinary journey for the senses with a menu that features a variety of dishes of local origin with a twist from the Pacific Rim, simply and skillfully prepared. Upon arrival, guests are welcomed into the newly renovated Sky Bar – Coal Harbour’s Living Room. Here, you may begin the evening with a pre-dinner cocktail, and for those deciding to stay, you can sit back and enjoy the lively sounds from the Lobby Lounge below.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oru reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (17)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (13)romantic (13)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (11)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OutstandingJennniDined on 10/3/2014We took my grandparents out for dinner Friday October 3rd and they were just blown away with the ambiance and scenic view. Our server, Stephanie was excellent. We had many questions and she answered them all very knowledgeably. We all felt like we learned something from the experience. The steaks and duck were done perfectly and when we declined dessert, Stephanie brought us some truffles with our coffee for something sweet. We loved her and our meal in the most bleautiful setting. Thanks again for creating such a spectacular experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner in Vancouverdoctor1VIPDined on 9/11/2014We had dinner at Oru because we had a dining credit at the hotel. We had breakfast there for four days and while the food was fine, we felt the dining room looked a bit like a cafeteria. Dinner was a delightful surprise. The darkness hid the sterile look and we had an excellent dinner. Service (Josh) was cheerful and knowledgable. He directed me toward a ceviche sampler that was just wonderful. Entrees were well prepared and we even had desert which we generally avoid when dining out. Wine list was quite good with a number of BC wines which we have enjoyed. I would definitely recommend Oru for dinner!Special Features:
- Just okayMelGDined on 9/7/2014I expected more being in the Fairmount Hotel The selection of food was just very basic to say the least the lay out of the buffet was not well thought out No one knew which way they should be going we had to flag down a waiter when we could find one I wouldn't go back much better places for brunch in Vancouver
- Brilliant Breakfast BuffetChizDeeDined on 9/7/2014Went with my girlfriends for Sunday morning breakfast (Before the Brunch) - $33 each. Unlimited orange, coffee, tea etc. And the food was amazing. Sausages, bacon, tomatoes, hash browns, waffles, pancakes, fruit, ceasear bar, yogurt, continental meats and breads and jams. Eggs bar to get specific eggs made, or an omelet or even Eggs Benedict!!!! So much to choose from!!!! Definitely recommended! The staff were helpful and friendly, and the ambience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014We took out of town visitors here for a special dinner. The fish portions were very generous and fresh but the food not quite hot enough. The unfortunate part of the meal was the waiter. He was distracted and inattentive, and acted very busy although the restaurant was not, and we had to pry information out of him. Do we need to order sides as well or is the plate complete without them? Do we need to order a side per person or are they share-able size? We had to call him back to the table to continue talking because he would just walk away when he was finished talking. He spit out the ingredients of the plates so fast we didn't catch all of it. Sheesh!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014Bar scene downstairs appallingly loud. Noise level in restaurant high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ExperienceCHOCHODined on 8/17/2014My husband and I went for Sunday Brunch as part of our anniversary celebration, expecting to find a quality similar if not better to Fairmont in Whistler where we had great experience......It was not even close....There was nothing special, the quality of the food was poor, not much variety, the plates at the station were most of the time empty. I went few times to check for the banana pancakes and never found even one. There was no carving station with roasted meet. At this time of the year with all the abundance of fresh local fruits-there were few pieces of watermelon, and pineapple. The croissants were at least 5 days old dry and chewy.......We had a bad experience and did not enjoy it at all. We would never recommend it nor go back.
- Not match the price!KevinDined on 8/10/2014The taste was ok, not bad. But compare with the price, it is not wroth. The meau is too simple, food is average. No suprised.Special Features:
- Continuing ExcellenceSeafoodLoverVIPDined on 8/10/2014Delicious food, and in generous portions! The bass, the sablefish, the poached lobster and the lomi-lomi steelhead were absolutely fresh! The chicken with fava beans was memorable. We are never disappointed when we dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2014Too pricy, the quality of food was good but portions too small
- Food and Service AmazingeateateatDined on 7/4/2014We had a work breakfast and all tried the buffet at the managers suggestion. The food was amazing, the server we had was friendly and extremely helpful and overall the experience could not have been better. Although the price is high for a breakfast we still left feeling completely satisfied. Would go again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 586 reviews are from the Oru reviews archive.
- Not bad, but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Great atmosphere at this restaurant. I loved their brunch, but at diner it could have been better. They need to serve their food on a hot plate as the hot food goes cold as plate absorbs the heat. Also, my son's surf and turf was not great as meat was dry. Mine was good and children's food was also greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- come prepared for a slow lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014We had 1 hour between meetings for lunch, but it turned into a bit of a rush at the end after waiting nearly an hour for our orders to be taken and lunch to be served.
- Fabulous brunchBillofthewildDined on 6/7/2014Excellent brunch buffet with house made bacon & sausages, Benedict station, fresh sliced flank steak, house made mustards, salmon and even a fresh donut machine!! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oru - May 28OruReviewerDined on 5/28/2014Attentive service and good food. Prices, (except for coffee), are in line with other similar higher end hotel restaurants in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea food heaven2onholsDined on 5/27/2014The menu is good and well explained by the staff. Their knowledge of the food and the wines appears comprehensive, which helps you choose. Very friendly and helpful. Food and wine were both greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disapointGomuiDined on 5/24/2014Great food and good service as always. Hope they have more selection. There was a new chef at the eggs station and she overcooked my eggs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great!chihayaDined on 5/11/2014We ordered oysters, corn soup, spot prawn special, and the pork belly as our appetizers. Oysters were fresh, spot prawn special and corn soup were good as well. Pork belly was not bad just that it is kind of chewy. The lobster and steak as main course was very very delicious! Especially the mashed potato on the side, even though it gets a bit buttery but it still tastes very good! We were too full after main course so we decided not to order dessert; yet, the waiter served us apple crumble and chocolate truffles because it was Mother's Day so he thought my mom should end the meal with something sweet. That was very nice and the dessert was great as well. We would definitely visit there again :)Special Features:
- Great food and excellent service!JY1980Dined on 5/8/2014As a hotel guest I decided to try Oru once for breakfast buffet, and the overall experience didn't let me down. Food: Rich selection of pastries and egg dishes. The homemade salmon omelette is my favorite (and it's huge too!) Service: Excellent. Although I ate alone and sat in the corner, the waiters showed up often to address my needs. They made you feel like eating at a friend's place. Ambience: contemporary zen style and bright Noise level: quite low, but not too quiet. I will come back next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingChipandDaleVIPDined on 5/4/2014I saw in the website that this restaurant offer brunch buffet. I even confirm with the hostess. But when I got there, most is breakfast items. The only "brunch" items are grill frank steak and egg benedict. No salad, grilled veg, chicken, dessert.... And there are kids running around screaming. Maybe shouldn't expect much for $33.00 brunch buffet.Special Features:
- Best breakfast buffet!!!NharcsDined on 5/3/2014Loved the buffet for breakfast. Made to order bennies and omelettes were dee lish. Pastries were fantastic too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConnoisseurOfGoodTasteDined on 5/2/2014You can never go wrong with a Fairmont!! The food, the service and the magnificent modern setting of Oru, are bar none sublime. If you need a memorable experience in fine dining, don't miss out on this one. It doesn't get any better than this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linger over the experiencefranegDined on 4/29/2014No pressure at this restaurant. You get to sit and enjoy both the wonderful food and the company of your dining companions.Special Features:
- MsbtxVIPDined on 4/24/2014Fresh, house made, wonderful. Sushi appetizer plate enough for meal for two! Oru salad delicious! We ate lunch here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyGomuiDined on 4/20/2014Server Joshua was amazing. I find the service on this Easter Sunday way better than the usual weekends. Not sure why, but Oru definitely needs to keep staff like Joshua and get rid of the disgruntled rude staffs! Food was awesome especially the egg station. Never disapoints and the cook remembers every order! Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch SundayBrunchyDined on 4/6/2014Oru serves buffet style weekend brunch. Variety of selections of bread, granola, fruits, hot dishes, and made-to-order Benedict, omelet, and other egg varieties. Beautiful layout of the restaurant with scenic ambiance, great for family, special occasion, or couple Sunday Brunch option.Special Features:
- Should have been more for the priceEatingOutVan1Dined on 4/4/2014Walking through the Fairmont Hotel lobby by the bar complete with live music and loads of people enjoying themselves, I couldn't wait to get upstairs as I expected this same vibrant and lively atmosphere to continue. However, before I even entered the building I should have been clued in that Oru was the one of the only restaurants downtown that had a completely open reservations available for a Friday night. We were one of maybe 6 tables in the entire restaurant... the place was empty. The hostess and servers were fantastic, but the food and the wine were another story. Don't get me wrong, the food was better than average, but not outstanding. The wine is much cheaper by the glass than buying a bottle, found this out afterwards.Special Features:
- Good foodBryanDined on 3/21/2014Great menu selection of seafood. Ceviche was very good and the main courses were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch and dinner spotLovewestcoastfoodDined on 3/20/2014I take clients here frequently and the food and service never disappoints! Recently took family there and service and food was impeccable, servers ever-attentive and genuine. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the steak frites saladOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2014I had the steak frites salad which was a little on the bland side and too small a portion for most men I would guess. The three sauces were interesting and very much needed to counter the bland taste of the steak. The fries were overcooked and the shoestring version not as good as the regular larger fries served elsewhere and were a bit soggy as you dug down. Not worth the price in my opinion. Another person at our table had the chicken which was a better portion but again, bland enough to ask for hot sauce to spice it up a bit. The date pudding for desert was very good. The service was really slow so if you don't have time to take 1.5 to 2 hours for lunch don't come on a Friday when they are extremely busy.Special Features:
- Took a friend to celebrateangieVIPDined on 3/5/2014Took a friend to celebrate a birthday. Our waiter Brandon and the rest of the staff were very attentive. They were wonderful to put our 2 appetizers on separate plates as we wanted to split them. The food is nicely presented and represents a good mix of west coast eats. The wines, either by the glass or the bottle, are very pricey but you are paying for the atmosphere. I have been to this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine prices out of this world.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2014Everything is good about the place except for the rip off in wine prices and Vodka Martini. How can a restaurant charge 3 or 4 time the mark up for wine. Food and service great. Please get real. Not everyone is on an expense account.Special Features:
- Over pricedJPSPDined on 2/21/2014I ordered Chicken, which was flavorless and very hard to cut, same with the steak. No steak knife provided. Alittle dissapointed as I have dined there before. This was a very special day, as it was my 20th anniversary, alittle dissapointed. Only positive thing, desserts!Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulouscfilmcatDined on 2/18/2014We ordered the chefs special and were not disappointed. The restaurant was not crowded, it was a Tuesday night, so they seated everyone with at least 2 tables between us. I appreciated the space and privacy that it created. The waiter was attentive and respectful. (2 women spending 150.00 doesn't always mean this). I would place this restaurant as my favourite high end in Vancouver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent location for brunchHersheyVIPDined on 2/15/2014Excellent location for brunch and view of Vancouver water front.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hard to find fault with thisfistiDined on 2/14/2014hard to find fault with this experience. outstanding contemporary design and finish with none of the annoying bling and noise ambiance is modestly quiet suitable for romance or business wine list is extensive and interesting, and cocktails worth trying food was excellent, beautifully presented, and delicious - beet salad outstanding, ling cod and japanese bouilliabaise both creatively presented and full of special tastesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We picked the restaurant becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/13/2014We picked the restaurant because of the Vegan options. The waiter was very helpful, accommodating & knowledgeable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014Have been here before and will go again. Menu is varied, but not too large. Interesting food, done well/served well/timed right. Nice ambience, and a general 'feel good' vibe. Drinks rather expensive, but not out of line for downtown. Great location too. Generally a first pick whenever out for a business luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BuffetdeBareVIPDined on 2/9/2014Buffets can always be hit or miss so one is always careful about making that choice when there are other great a la carte items on the menu. Fortunately Oru made that decision easy on Sunday with a fabulous brunch buffet at a reasonable price. There was a wide enough variety to please every palate, including custom egg bennies that all four of us ordered. Plus the service was top notch. My only ouch was the cost of alcohol - mimosas were delicious but pricey. I certainly highly recommend to anyone looking for a great brunch in Vancouver - we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food flavour was good, however,Free2NiteDined on 2/8/2014Food flavour was good, however, I found the spareribs (with the lobster) slightly over-cooked/dry on the inside. Garnish/final touches a bit too plain/sparse. For the price, could've been generous with some greens/veggies inclusive. We had to order a separate side dish to complete the meal and, thankfully, the crispy kale/ Brussels sprouts with chorizo was surprisingly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.