Ortega's A Mexican Bistro
141 University Ave #4
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Ortega's A Mexican Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ortegasbistro.com/
- Phone: 6196924200x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday: 11:00am - Midnight
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Liliaana Naverette
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ortega's has two private rooms that can accomodate up to 75 guests
- Private Party Contact: John Haugland (619)692-4200x
A word from Ortega's A Mexican Bistro
Ortega’s Mexican Bistro features the authentic flavors of Puerto Nuevo. Experience Baja style lobster and table side guacamole while sipping a decadent pomegranate margarita. Enjoy dining in our restaurant or for a more energized evening, dine in our bar - La Cantina. Additional flavors include Banana Crusted Huachinango, Kobe Beef Bistek and Chicken Mole. Newly expanded and designed to capture the festive traditions and tasteful flavors of Puerto Nuevo.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Ortega's A Mexican Bistro - Best Restaurants in Hillcrest ›
Ortega's A Mexican Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)romantic (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- consistently very goodDelMarBillDined on 8/30/2014we have eaten at this restaurant many times a and will go back again. the food is consistently very good. they have a small patio for outdoor dining which we always request. on this evening, we tried two dishes we had never eaten, shrimp enchiladas and the whole lobster.both were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SteakLuv2EatDined on 8/23/2014I had the Ortega's Beef Buritto. It's actually steak (Carne Asada) and it is fantastic! And the guac prepared at the table is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- michaaelh2oH2OMichaelDined on 8/21/2014it was music night and the band was awesome! They were Not to loud but played great songs and the drinks were cold, tasty too, the food was excellent and I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So GreatSteverVIPDined on 8/14/2014With all the options for Mexican food in San Diego, I would not make Ortega's my first choice. The menu was limited, and the food was average at best. For one example: most Mexican restaurants these days give you a choice of black, pinto or refried beans. Ortega's only offers refried, and they are not even very good at that.
- Excellent Tableside GuacamoleLoraDined on 7/31/2014Great margaritas, guacamole, and high quality Mexican food in a charming environment, right in the heart of Hillcrest! And love their happy hour menu, and the fact that it starts mid-afternoon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food2foodiesDined on 7/31/2014Fresh ingredients and well prepared. Consistently great food. The Puerto Nuevo Tortilla soup us best I've had. Shrimp Tacos are the bomb as well as the Chicken Mole Enchiladas. Nothing in Old Town can compare. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FOODvinoporvidaDined on 7/27/2014A lot of authentic Mexican food dishes. Great Margaritas! Clean seating area, kitchen and bathrooms. Pet friendly patioSpecial Features:
- Best Mexican food in San Diegollg58VIPDined on 7/25/2014We found this restaurant through opentable.com. We liked it so much we ate there twice while we were visiting. The beef burritos actually were full of thick, freshly grilled steak slices. The tortilla soup and tableside guac were perfect. We'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JdinsdVIPDined on 7/25/2014Our favorite Mexian restaurant in San Diego - Always very good food and margaritas!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodVinceDined on 7/23/2014Wonderful food and great service! will definitely be back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall it was good.lochiDined on 7/22/2014My friend and I had dinner, he ordered the chicken mole and I the chicken pipian. He loved the chicken mole while I didn't quite like the chicken pipian. the sauce was not very tasty and the chicken seemed rubbery. I was a bit disappointed. I didn't eat even half of the meal. My friend ate all of it. From the sound of it seems my friend really liked the place and the food. oh and the appetizer, poblano/mushroom quesadillas was so delish! spicy for me but not for my friends. he laughed because I am mexican and thought it was spicy and I couldn't eat it. Again he really enjoyed the food and place. parking sucked though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethVIPDined on 7/6/2014Delicious brunch, as always. Outside seating is in the parking lot, but it's nice to have the option.Special Features:
- ldofrbDined on 7/4/2014We love this restaurant! Always wonderful food and amazing service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.sdfoodieDined on 6/26/2014Great staff, great food, very nice drinks. Super cute décor and quite clean.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood SpotJayFagnanoVIPDined on 6/24/2014Found this on Open Table when looking for something not touristy. Food is solid, service is very nice and the room is comfortable.Special Features:
- Lobster was goodRogerDined on 6/11/2014Chicken Mole Burrito was also good. The table side Guacamole was very good. The chips were very average not cooked on site. Salsa was average to bad, not fresh and too hot. The flour Tortillas were not bad; dry and cooked way to early. Service was average to bad taking too long to get a glass of wine and we were pretty much forgotten after our food was served.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 391 reviews are from the Ortega's A Mexican Bistro reviews archive.
- Great food, a bit priceysaporaDined on 5/16/2014Wonderfully executed Baja style food. A bit pricey for the portion size. We ordered the crab enchiladas and couldn't find any crab in it. Disappointing for the $16 price tag. Also ordered the shrimp tacos, got 3 small tacos with 4 pieces of small shrimp on each. Flavor was wonderful but portion size was smallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Kid FriendlyAFloresDined on 5/10/2014I was very disappointed to find out that this restaurant doesn't have a changing table in their bathroom. It was such an inconvenience. Needless to say I will not be returning any time soon.Special Features:
- Family business feel, good foodDawnSanDiegoDined on 5/5/2014We made reservations on Cinco de Mayo expecting a mad house, but the wait staff wads attentive and responsive. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodLoraDined on 4/30/2014The best tableside guacamole, and superior Mexican food. Loved the Chicken Tortilla soup. The staff are prompt and welcoming, and the ambiance just right!Special Features:
- Amazing FindRednanaDined on 4/19/2014So glad we found this place. My husband and I love going to Mexico for lobster, but it has become increasingly harder to go down there with border lines and the drug war going on, But Ortega's has the most delicious lobster just like they make in RosaritoBeach. We most definitely will have birthday parties and family gathering at Ortega's from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choice from manySonyDined on 3/28/2014We had out of town guests and we wanted to take them to some place where the food was excellent, typical SD scene and close to downtown--ah ha, Ortega's. This is the third time we have chosen this restaurant for hosting our guests. It never fails to delight them in all the ways we hope. The food is always delicious and it doesn't hurt that the bill is affordable! PS: The guacomole made at the table is always a "WOW" for our guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014On a recent visit to San Diego we were introduce to Ortega's.We went on a Friday night, with a group of 9. The waiters were very attentive and quick with our orders. We will return.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceGuinnessDined on 3/9/2014Wife ordered the shrimp omelet which she enjoyed very much. She especially liked the rosemary potatoes. Portion was huge--she only ate half. I had the carnitas hash which was absolutely fantastic. I can eat a lot and was barely able to put it all down. I was full the rest of the day. We also shared the made-at-your-table guacomole with chips. The guacomole was among the best I've ever had and the chips were light and seasoned just right. I also had a Bloody Mary which was fine and wife had some sort of fruity morning cocktail with mango that she liked. The price was fine. Everything I described was about $10 each, or just under. We'll definitely be back again. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Love Mexican Food......MeriweatherDined on 3/7/2014Ortega will be a lovely experience! The guacamole is AMAZING! and made right at your table and the staff are attentive, aware, delightful and helpful. My only concern on this visit was that the Dorado was a little dry. The other 3 folks at our table were delighted with their meals! The mole was spectacular as was the Crab Enchilada. We always enjoy our trips to Ortega and will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Mole'HughieDined on 3/7/2014Chicken enchilada with mole' and the dorado excellent !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty mole!PLEaterVIPDined on 2/22/2014I really liked Orgeta's chicken mole enchiladas. The rice was Very good (I don't usually care much for rice in Mexican restaurants). The refried beans were typical. Warm chips--yummy, but salsa was VERY bland. The table side guacamole preparation was nice and it tasted VERY fresh, but too much onion. Sangria was good too. I'd say this place is a notch above your usual Mexican restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our third Valentines at OrtegasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Ortegas seems to understand what diners like for a romantic ambiance. The service is excellent, the 3 coarse lobster special was generous and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Owner's wife is awesome!LuvtoeatDined on 1/12/2014Our server pretty much disappeared after taking our order but the owner's wife took over and we had another great experience. Ortega's never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was excellent. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/12/2014Brunch was excellent. The French toast was amazing!!! The carnitas hash was delicious as well. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- A little disappointingMugsyVIPDined on 12/30/2013This Mexican restaurant is in our neighborhood. We had never tried it, but our daughter was visiting and she loves Mexican food. We were somewhat disappointed. The salsa was very salty, and the Chips were chewy, not crisp ( as if they were stale). Kids had Caesar salad which was soggy. We had enchilada mole, which was actually delicious. However, the rice did not seem fresh and the refried beans were like a soup, and were too hot to eat. We probably will not go back, given all the other great restaurants in the neighborhood. Service was very good. Staff were friendly.Special Features:
- The margaritas were good,catloriDined on 12/23/2013The margaritas were good, very hospital bartender. Great guacamole. My lobster was a little dried out, but everyone else's plate were perfect.Special Features:
- great as alwaysjanieDined on 12/8/2013We went there for a birthday dinner and were not disappointed. The food was delicious, the service friendly and prompt, and they gave us a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2013Love this place, great menu, great drinks and great service every time.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013We have been to Ortegas several times, but this time were disappointed. Three of the 4 meals were either tough (chicken), flavorless, or otherwise not up to par.
- Ortega'sLuvtoeatDined on 10/20/2013Homemade flour tortillas and queso fundido are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican FoodKimFamilyDined on 10/19/2013Excellent food and service. They deserve the excellent rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont BothermylifeVIPDined on 10/4/2013Guacamole very good. Rest of meal including service and drinks....poor
- Good food, but not greatHaleyDined on 9/24/2013This was my second time dining at Ortega’s MB the first time was a couple of years ago and the food was AWESOME!!! The meals were served with authentic Mexican rice and beans. This past time the food just seemed to be more American Mexican-not authentic. They served black beans with all the meals and no rice. Please don’t get me wrong the food was good, but could be better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedbojoDined on 9/21/2013Went for the Puerto Nuevo lobster experience. We shared a whole lobster meal. The lobster was warm as were the beans. Not much taste. The guacamole made at the table was good. The Pomrgranate margarita seemed weak. Had to park 3 blocks from the bistro.I would recommend this to a friend.