737 W. 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsoalaska.com/
- Phone: 9072223232x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Try Us For Brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jolene Moellers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The ORSO Side room is located towards the back of ORSO on the first floor of the dining room. It can seat a maximum of 25 people all at one long table. It is a private space with a door at one end, and a red velvet curtain at the other separating it from the dining room. The space may be divided in half to create a private space that can seat up to 14 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Hurst 9077923792x
- Special Events: Enjoy Our Happy Hour - Daily from 3 to 6 PM and 9 PM to Close . Half priced appetizers. Beer, Wine and Cocktail Specials. Try one of our Speciality Cocktails. - The Appetizer Tower is amazing, plenty to share.
- Cross Street: G
- Public Transit: We are one block from the 6th avenue transit center.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in several nearby public parking lots.
NEW Easy, Convenient Parking is now just steps away! The Alaska State Legislature Parking lot (just behind the BrewHouse back door) is now open to the public for Parking weekdays after 5:30PM and ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday. Street level parking only. $1.00 an hour is the charge at this lot.
A word from ORSO
Alaskan, warm, inviting, innovative, a menu full of surprises, unbelievable wine list, great cocktails, are common phrases used by our guests to describe Orso. We feature the freshest ingredients available, Alaskan whenever possible- fresh Alaskan seafood, fresh local pasta, and local produce when in season. We prepare them with the simple, rustic flavors and techniques of the great culinary regions of the Mediterranean. Orso’s outstanding service, bold menu, classic cocktails combined with a wine list that has received the “award of excellence” from the Wine Spectator for five years is why ORSO is the “Place to be” for Anchorage dinning.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
ORSO reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (52)romantic (51)good for groups (44)notable wine list (42)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (17)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (8)Show More
- Great Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014Our party of 6 started with the Tower appetizers which included Calamari, Tenderloin Tips, and crispy ravioli. We ask to substitute a half order of calamari for the crispy ravioli and our server was very accomodating. After bring the Tower, she took our meal orders. Three of our party chose the Crab Stuffed Rockfish and two chose the Crab Mac-n-Cheese and one ordered the Ribeye steak. All of the entree's arrived together and the food was delicious. My wife raved over the Rockfish and I tried to finish off the Mac-n-Cheese to no avail. The cream and cheese sause paired with the crab, scallops, & shrimp was excellent but proved too rich and filling so I got a take-out box for the rest. Service was wonderful & everyone loved thier meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorites missingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014As a long time patron I am disappointed that the restaurant has eliminated some popular favorites from the menu and declared there is no chance they will return. The menu also has grown smaller and frankly I couldn't find anything that will lure me back which is a shame because I used to celebrate all special occasions here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Great Evening!!Bosawx1Dined on 8/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary on 8/27 at Orso's. We had dinner reservations for 7:00 PM and were seated promptly. All the staff were very friendly and courteous, especially our waitress Elizabet who gave us excellent service! We started our evening with a couple of cocktails from the bar and we shared an order of calamari which were done perfectly and served with a very nice aioli. My wife had a perfectly grilled rib eye steak while I tried the Prosciutto wrapped Black Cod. Other than the prosciutto being a bit over seared, both meals were excellent. To finish our evening we were comped two desserts, one for our anniversary, and one for the prosciutto having been over seared on my cod dish. Overall excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysBohoDined on 8/25/2014This isn't the first time we have come to this establishment but is always Consistenly good and brought our friend visiting from out of state and the entire place did not disappoint from the courteous and fun hostesses as well as the Sassy waitress becky who just added to the great experience all the way to the kitchen staff putting out some great food as always!!!Special Features:
- Tuscan in AnchorageRITADined on 8/24/2014ORSO is really nice place to have lunch or diner and even for a bear with some friends. Excellent food. Service efficient and friendly. I recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All Around MenuDanBVIPDined on 8/23/2014Always Great Food. It is a regular stop for us, if your in Anchorage it is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Anchorage experiencefabjunkDined on 8/17/2014I came with a group of 8 and we were swayed immediately with our reservation. The apps, entrees and desserts were exceptional for all of us. The kids and vegetarian diner had plenty of choices. I recommend it for anyone in downtown Anchorage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NONENONEDined on 8/16/2014No Comment No Comment No Comment No Comment No CommentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RairoadVIPDined on 8/15/2014I live in Detroit, so coming to Orso is a treat when I'm in Anchorage. I know this is the tourist season in Orso, so I knew I needed a reservation, and made one through OpenTable. I was very early for my reservation, but once seated got the service I expected. I had asked them to consider bringing back my favorite meal (Mediterranean Meatloaf), but they had no specials, and not it. The GM did give me hope that one day, when I note this on my reservation they might consider making it a special. It had been a featured item on the menu, and I even got the recipe, but it's too complicated for my home chef to make. So I'll keep tryingSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We visited Orso restaurant this past weekend for a special occasion and truly enjoyed our time. My wife and I were seated in a cozy booth for two, we were treated well, found the atmosphere pleasant and food tasty. We would recommend Orso to our friends and family!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was great...HappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014I took my husband out for an early anniversary dinner. We knew exactly what we wanted so we ordered as soon as the server came to our table. Service was very good, food was great. We left happy and satisfied. The food wait wasn't very long at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfil Crab LegsLMG237Dined on 8/10/2014Great service, nice craft cocktails, outstanding king crab legs. A wonderful dining experience in Anchorage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceLooieDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I go to ORSO on special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. The food is always great and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingSacvoterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very expensive for what it is. Although the food was fine. Especially after a long day being tourist. But a little better than average is not quite enough for the pricing.
- Birthday Dinner DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Went here for my birthday dinner and was sorely disappointed. The service was rushed, and the food was mediocre at best. I had the crab stuffed cod with green beans roasted to oblivion. The cod was over cooked and filled with some cream sauce and covered in uncooked bread crumbs. Tasted like take a bite of flour. My dining partner had the Chicken panzanella salad. Huge spinach leaves with the stems on smothered in an oily dressing. Ice cold molten lava cake for dessert...Molten???? We will not be returning.
- FoodieDined on 8/2/2014Thought it would be a little nicer. I way overdressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family manEverydayDined on 8/2/2014Service was decent and the wait for our dinner was fairly quick. Our ribeye was very thin and very little taste. We got about 15 green beans and a spoonful size of augraten potatoes. No salad. No bread. I guess those are appetizers. For 34.00 dollars for this steak I expected more. Outback steak house has a better steak and meal for a portion of the price.Special Features:
- Always good.Narad00Dined on 8/2/2014This is one of our first choices for a date night. We never feel rushed and always receive top notch service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food.RooseveltDined on 8/1/2014Burger was great though the bun was too cold. Caesar salad was tasty but did not taste like a CAESAR salad. Panzanela(spelling?) salad was real real good. Crab cakes were mediocre (crab too fine) and not very tasty.Special Features:
- Special OccasionFoodieFunDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed the walnut parmesan encrusted halibut. Loved the Panzanella salad recommended by our waiter. The wines offered our way overpriced for what is offered. There should be more choices by the glass. The crab mac and cheese was delicious and decadent. It could use more crab and macaroni and less cheese. Overall, we had a very nice dinner and the restaurant staff was accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDanielDined on 8/1/2014The crab macaroni and cheese is not to be missed but come hungry or plan on taking some home. It's very rich and filling. Comfortable but slightly pricey. Definitely on our list whenever we're in town.Special Features:
- Great spot for creative diningAFunkDined on 8/1/2014Orso is not just for big pasta and otherwise heavier Italian dishes. Took my daughter for an early light dinner bite on our way to the Clare to Clare fashion show fundraiser. We enjoyed sharing a number of lighter dishes (appetizers and a flatbread). The roasted garlic cambozola was fabulous, as was the crispy cauliflower, and the flatbread--can't recall whether we had the caprese or the smoked salmon, but it was very good). Great service, friendly and attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent night out!Meant2BDined on 7/29/2014We booked this busy wait list restaurant on Open Table and when we showed up ten minutes later we were immediately seated! Great! The place was full and busy, but our server was very attentive, helpful and fun to talk to, while she kept up with her tables. She committed everything to memory, including special requests to hold some things off and others to the side. We had the summer salad which was even better than described, crab cakes as an appetizer, the best we ever had and the halibut encrusted with nuts, excellent. Everything was delicious. We had no room for dessert, but I am sure that would have been wonderful too. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2014I hadn't eaten on the restaurant side for a few years. The food quality, and in some cases quantity, seems to have gone downhill. Halibut portion was ridiculously small though tasty. Chiicken fettuccine was just ok. Lemon Chicken Panzella salad was the best item we had but it could do without the greasy bread chunks. Good wait service. I'll probably take guests elsewhere next time.
- SlowAdkhikerDined on 7/27/2014We were sat immediately, however waited 10 minutes until our server acknowledged is and another 5 until she came to take our order. Food came out about an hour later, not particularly hot and both of Our vegetables not even cooked.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2014The food was good but nothing spectacular. If you want a good meal this is your place but if you are looking for something unique or amazing I would keep looking. The resturant has a cute feel and the service was great.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Salad and dessert were outstanding. Dinner was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014My wife and I came in for our Anniversary and our reservation was waiting for us. The hostess handed us a card that said "Happy Anniversary", we really appreciated it! Our waitress was very nice but her service was poor. Our drinks and appetizers took too long to come out while each drink was basically a sip. The deviled "eggs".. was literally made from one egg. Our dinners were very good though! Our waitress spent way more time on the tables around us and didn't give us very much attention; ordering second drinks, clearing cups and plates, etc. We waited and additional 30 minutes just waiting for her to come back to get us containters for our food; we literally could not get her attention.Special Features:
- Continental with Italian herbsLocal30VIPDined on 7/23/2014This is not what I would call an Italian restaurant but nonetheless the food was good. It offered a full range of protein types, including the fish strengths found here in Alaska.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DylanDined on 7/22/2014The food, the service, and the ambience were all very notably good. The only thing that was slightly a surprise to me was that the entrees did not come with as much food on them as you would normally expect from a restaurant like that. Their prices did seem quite low when looking at the menu, and after receiving the plate I relized why. Overall, a great restaurant.Special Features:
- KentandLoniDined on 7/19/2014Two of three of us dining were totally satisfied with what we had ordered, the crab stuffed cod. Our friend, who had the portabella parmesan off of the vegetarian menu, could not eat it as the portabella mushrooms were very tough and chewy. Her pleasure in dining at Orso was greatly decreased. However, we would all be willing to try again for another meal.Special Features:
- Excellent foodFlightCrewVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food preparation and presentation is excellent. Love any of the fish dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visiting & this was recommendedasSYSterDined on 7/16/2014We weren't disappointed - the food was fabulous, the service great, and we could walk to many other spots downtown.Special Features:
- Over-Rated OrsoTableFOODDined on 7/10/2014We were not impressed with Orso. The ambiance was nice, the place was packed full and we didn't mind being tucked into a corner table, but the service and food were lackluster. Our friends ordered the tantalizing-sounding flat iron steak; none of them liked the large amount of grilled lettuce swimming in a pool of meat juices. One friend ordered the seafood chowder with extra bread, which never showed up. Another friend ordered the grilled tofu; it was tasteless and unappealing. Service was slow to non-existent. Fork tines were bent and an adult scratched her tongue on a deep groove in a spoon. We will not return to try more dishes this summer. We heard a rumor the food and service is better in the winter; we'll try again in a few months.
- Great food as alwaysDaveSDined on 7/8/2014The food was great and the service was top notch. I have been there several times and will continue whn the opportunity presents itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatFunnymotherDined on 7/8/2014Love the burger, but also the grilled steak salad, the steak, the blue cheese salad and the calamari. My husband has ordered the osso bucco and I have also tried the flat breads. You really can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMLM907Dined on 7/7/2014Great food, great cocktails. Seafood was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good birthdayBobaFettishDined on 7/6/2014I made reservations to Orso for my Fiance and my self for an early dinner Sunday evening. The online registration was fast and easy, when we got there the service was great. Excellent wine selection. She had a very tasty Chicken fettucini and I had a Rib-Eye steak cooked exactly how I wanted it. The music in the background was nice and not loud but could still be heard. Over all I'm very glad that's where we decided to go. The atmosphere was nice in the dinning area but still maintained a very relaxed feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visitor Meeting venueskapfromValleyDined on 7/5/2014We had friends traveling through Saturday and were to be in Anchorage for just one night. We chose ORSO to meet with them and to dine. The table was in a quite area and afforded a good place to catch up on old times. The service was very good and our waiter was helpful, friendly and not too attentive as to disturb our conversation. The food was well prepared and tasty as was the wine. Also we were early and had to wait for about 30 minutes for our guests to arrive. The lounge area was available and a very cozy place to sit and have a drink while we waited for them to arrive.Special Features:
- Good Casual SeafooderBeej1000VIPDined on 7/2/2014A very pleasant meal in Pacific Northwest-style homey environment. Try the deviled eggs with crab and smoked salmon and the grilled coho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.