737 W. 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsoalaska.com/
- Phone: (907) 222-3232
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Try Us For Brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jolene Moellers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The ORSO Side room is located towards the back of ORSO on the first floor of the dining room. It can seat a maximum of 25 people all at one long table. It is a private space with a door at one end, and a red velvet curtain at the other separating it from the dining room. The space may be divided in half to create a private space that can seat up to 14 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Hurst 9077923792x
- Special Events: Enjoy Our Happy Hour - Daily from 3 to 6 PM and 9 PM to Close . Half priced appetizers. Beer, Wine and Cocktail Specials. Try one of our Speciality Cocktails. - The Appetizer Tower is amazing, plenty to share.
- Cross Street: G
- Public Transit: We are one block from the 6th avenue transit center.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in several nearby public parking lots.
NEW Easy, Convenient Parking is now just steps away! The Alaska State Legislature Parking lot (just behind the BrewHouse back door) is now open to the public for Parking weekdays after 5:30PM and ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday. Street level parking only. $1.00 an hour is the charge at this lot.
A word from ORSO
Alaskan, warm, inviting, innovative, a menu full of surprises, unbelievable wine list, great cocktails, are common phrases used by our guests to describe Orso. We feature the freshest ingredients available, Alaskan whenever possible- fresh Alaskan seafood, fresh local pasta, and local produce when in season. We prepare them with the simple, rustic flavors and techniques of the great culinary regions of the Mediterranean. Orso’s outstanding service, bold menu, classic cocktails combined with a wine list that has received the “award of excellence” from the Wine Spectator for five years is why ORSO is the “Place to be” for Anchorage dinning.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
ORSO reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (103)fit for foodies (76)romantic (74)good for groups (63)notable wine list (62)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (21)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (12)Show More
- First time I've been disappointed hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014I have never been disappointed in Orso. It is one of if not my favorite restaurant in Anchorage. I love how they rotate food on the menu so there is always something new and delicious to try. However, last Sunday when I went with a group of my friends I was sorely disappointed. My salmon was overcooked and actually dry, as was my friends. My friends chicken in her alfredo was even dry. The server seemed like he had better things to do than be professional. He would ask if we wanted drinks or dessert and then walk away. We had to ask what the specials were and he gave less than a helpful description. It was just odd. I sincerely hope this is not indicative of their future performance because I really really do love this place and would like to have good experiences going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodDateNightDined on 11/21/2014Really loved the seafood devil eggs, they were melt in your mouth good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sarah was a great server.FoodLoverDined on 11/20/2014I had a friend that flew up from the lower 48 for business and I took her there. She was impressed and really liked the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their best used to be better.BooflawkrDined on 11/18/2014This restaurant has been better and occasionally not good at all. Food was the only flaw but . ... The food presentation and the preparation not as good as in the past. Still good but not great. Hope it will be better next time like before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Orso checks all of the boxes. My dinner for 3, with two drinks each, and tip was $210. There is a lot of competition at that price point. Definitely worth a try, and the crab cakes are as good as it gets.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsEstiloDined on 11/15/2014Nice restaurant. Food was excellent. Glad we took the reference to go to this restaurant. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SongbirdDined on 11/15/2014We arrived early for our dinner and we were seated at our favorite table. The music speaker was just above us and was too loud so we asked the server if she could turn it down. She turned it down and we were able to enjoy conversation and the ambience with out the base sound drowning us out. Thank you for a great dining experience. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent black codlavflyVIPDined on 11/11/2014Homey restaurant, next to it's sister brewery, with some awesome shops in between. A little expensive, but no more so than many of the restaurants in Anchorage. Good go-to place when visiting that city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Ryan was AWESOME! We had a very nice time, and the food was pretty good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Halibut in NovembersamkDined on 11/7/2014The fresh Halibut option was a surprise this late in the year and it was superb. Also the Lamb Shank was beautifully done and presented.Special Features:
- EnjoyableStevereviewVIPDined on 11/2/2014We had not been to ORSO for quite a long time, but enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner - as usualluv2eatDined on 11/1/2014We took advantage of the Orso 3 course meal, great value with a give back to the community bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Friendly staff, great food, amazing service- who could ask for anything else? It's rare we are able to get out by ourselves, but when we do we cherish every quiet moment and appreciate it when everything else falls into place too. They even hand wrote a birthday card for my husband! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Ive been to Orso many times, and the menu is now dominated by many heavy food items, saturated with oils, breaded crusts, and thick cheesy sauces. Even the seafood items are heavy. There isn't much in the way of flavorful light, subtle, dishes. I was hoping for better this time, but was disappointed to realize that the menu for this popular restaurant really isn't that great or creative any more. There are better choices in Anchorage.
- Boring FoodfatptarmiganVIPDined on 11/1/2014I know it was some time ago that Orso changed it's menu from pasta, but it is very limited. No good vegetarian options & they now charge for bread.
- Always good food Always great servicealaskak8VIPDined on 11/1/2014We routinely dine at Orso and we are never disappointed. We started by sharing the Caeser salad. It is almost as good as my husband's. I thoroughly enjoyed the appetizer order of the crispy ravioli (which is enough for a meal for me) and my husband was delighted by the seared Alaskan black cod. The ravioli were just hot enough to ooze cheese without being too hot. They were crisp, not greasy. The cod was just the right portion size and accompanied by flavors that elevated rather than competed with the fish. Our waitress (her first night back since an injury several months earlier) noted we were attending the theatre and made sure we had enough time to enjoy our meal, not be rushed AND had time to share a tiramisu. As always, a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love loveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Orso has great calamari and great Martinis when husband and I have a night out together we go to Orso no questionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm AtmospheregrrmayDined on 10/28/2014The atmosphere and service are what set the mark for this eatery. Too bad the food does not equal the mark. I found the food to be good, but not worth the price. The crab stuffed rockfish tasted "fishy" and had little to no flavor. I requested salt, hoping this would liven things up, but alas, it tasted like salted cod. Even lemon did not help. The server graciously offered to bring something else when she saw I barely ate my entree. I opted to enjoy my delicious dessert instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedAshy4jcDined on 10/26/2014I am aware that with having food allergies, it is more difficult for restaurants to accommodate. However, I notifed the restaurant when making the reservation ahead of time. They also boast themselves as being food allergy friendly. When I received the gluten-free menu, every dish had cheese in it, which I am also allergic to. I ordered an appetizer which had to be re-done 3 times and took almost an hour to get it. Then my main entree had to also be sent back because it still came with cheese. Our server was very nice and apologetic, but it still took a long time to get the food. My husband ordered the lamb (doesn't have allergies) and it was very bland and overcooked. We won't be eating here again.
- On the declinefoodandwineDined on 10/26/2014Unpleasant, rushed and expensive. Crab cake appetizer consisted of 2 small (tasty) crab cakes for $15. All menu items were like that, good, but not great, and overpriced. But the worse thing about Orso's is the service. It has never been professional, but now it is just plain rude and unpleasant. It started from the moment we walked in. Hostess was rude and acted like she didn't want us there. As soon as we were shown to our table, as we were taking off our coats, our waitress came over and dropped the menus on our table, told us about the halibut special and asked us what we wanted to drink. The food came out quickly and all together. They tried to get us out of there in 45 minutes! Too many better choices in downtown Anchorage.
- Where to sit at OrsoPJdiningclubDined on 10/26/2014We have dined at your restaurant several times. Each time as been a pleasant experience. Last Sunday was the second time we have been seated upstairs. I noticed a big difference during the busy moments of the restaurant with the noise level. Upstairs was calm and quiet. Downstairs, with the open kitchen, the bar, and people coming and going was much noisier. If you want or need a quieter dining experience in a very nice restaurant request the upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServicehumanwomanDined on 10/25/2014Really great service and the food was delicious! Really enjoyed the cheese plate starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoritefinedinerDined on 10/24/2014Orso's quiet environment is welcoming, as well as their delicious food choices and wine list! It is a lovely spot for a special evening with your significant other or group of friends. We have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Mac and CheeseMorimotoVIPDined on 10/23/2014Best Mac and chees and the seafood corn dogs were fantastic!!! Bloody Mary with infused salmon vodka delicious. A must !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Director Of Everything SpecialInspirationalDined on 10/23/2014The wine flight was excellent and the dinner menu offered a tasty variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Definitely a great place for a family gathering. Food was delicious service was great. Would definitely recommend to my friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes! Above the Best!1WorldTravelerDined on 10/23/2014Great menu, great personable service without intrusion, the perfect dining experience! On this trip we had outstanding meals in Bucharest, Delhi and Shanghai. But Orso was the best of the best, bar none!Special Features:
- NandVIPDined on 10/22/2014The restaurant manager is a big plus here. He is actively aware of every employee and makes certain that diners are being served in proper and timely manner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slowLuckyDined on 10/22/2014Good food, pricey with having to special bread with the meal. Service was slow and very busy and loud.Special Features:
- Great experienceGLCdinningDined on 10/21/2014Service was above the norm. Even though the waiter said that it was his first day you couldn't tell he was excellent and was always right there when you needed something.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServiceReturningPatronVIPDined on 10/21/2014The service was amazing. Our waiter was polite, efficient, and knowledgeable. An empty plate or bowl did not sit longer than 15 seconds before it was taken away and our wine nor water glasses were ever empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of the TripJeanDined on 10/21/2014I had 2 different people recommend Orso's and it completely wowed me. Fabulous food. The server was friendly, but not fake, and gave the best recommendations. I will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight...FoodJagVIPDined on 10/20/2014We eat here whenever we are in Anchorage. God food, excellent staff, nice menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I took my wife to Orso for her birthday and following a performance at the PAC. It was amazing! The food was excellent and our service was by far the best we have had in a long time. Mila was awesome!!! Thank you for a fabulous evening! We will be back!Special Features:
- Beautiful Place to dineanchortowndinerDined on 10/18/2014Very nice setting but slightly crowded, might go with the "old time" feel they seem to be going for. Service was pretty good. Specialized menu so not many options but food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmilyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was of course amazing! The staff was great to make recommendations and work with our rather tight schedule. After the experience we all agreed we would like to go again. Very good experience for our party!Special Features:
- Thanks 4 being a community partner!alaskaboatgirlDined on 10/18/2014Besides excellent food & service, I want to say a big "thank you" for being a community partner. I chair the Anchorage Concert Association board of directors. I was delighted to see Orso's Facebook post "It's not spring, it's not fall, it's not winter-It's showtime!" with ACA's presentation of Les Miserables featured! To top it off, you even had a link for buying tickets! I sincerely appreciate the "win-win" attitude you have. Theatre goers want a "whole evening" experience -and you obviously recognize that. THANK YOU for looking beyond just getting people in your door by helping the ACA get people into our seats at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts! I celebrate your collaborative spirit! The Orso staff & management team rocks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014bad front of house, poor service, mediocre food. a disappointment
- Group meetingBrianDined on 10/17/2014I had requested a table for seven for a Friday evening meeting. We were placed in the quietest location - we were able to eat wonderful food and have a productive meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding help staffCathyDined on 10/16/2014The food was excellent but even more importantly, we had outstanding service--personable and efficient. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.