737 W. 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsoalaska.com/
- Phone: 9072223232x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Try Us For Brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jolene Moellers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The ORSO Side room is located towards the back of ORSO on the first floor of the dining room. It can seat a maximum of 25 people all at one long table. It is a private space with a door at one end, and a red velvet curtain at the other separating it from the dining room. The space may be divided in half to create a private space that can seat up to 14 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Hurst 9077923792x
- Special Events: Enjoy Our Happy Hour - Daily from 3 to 6 PM and 9 PM to Close . Half priced appetizers. Beer, Wine and Cocktail Specials. Try one of our Speciality Cocktails. - The Appetizer Tower is amazing, plenty to share.
- Cross Street: G
- Public Transit: We are one block from the 6th avenue transit center.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in several nearby public parking lots.
NEW Easy, Convenient Parking is now just steps away! The Alaska State Legislature Parking lot (just behind the BrewHouse back door) is now open to the public for Parking weekdays after 5:30PM and ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday. Street level parking only. $1.00 an hour is the charge at this lot.
A word from ORSO
Alaskan, warm, inviting, innovative, a menu full of surprises, unbelievable wine list, great cocktails, are common phrases used by our guests to describe Orso. We feature the freshest ingredients available, Alaskan whenever possible- fresh Alaskan seafood, fresh local pasta, and local produce when in season. We prepare them with the simple, rustic flavors and techniques of the great culinary regions of the Mediterranean. Orso’s outstanding service, bold menu, classic cocktails combined with a wine list that has received the “award of excellence” from the Wine Spectator for five years is why ORSO is the “Place to be” for Anchorage dinning.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
ORSO reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)fit for foodies (49)good for groups (47)notable wine list (46)romantic (46)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (19)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (8)great for brunch (8)Show More
- Place is going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I've gone and ate at the bar and had much better service. Service was super slow and took over 15 minutes for a drink. The filet was nice. But the ribeye was swimming in balsamic to the point it tasted sour. Drinks were too sweet and watered down. Pretty disappointing.
- Still a ClassicSandraDined on 9/26/2014I go for the wine and the Osso Bucco! Both this last time around were excellent.Special Features:
- Orso FairPNJNDined on 9/25/2014Food was good. Waitress had a large table besides us, so we received minimal attention. Almost finished eating before we could get salt and pepper brought to table. Bread is a purchased appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef is excellentPickyEaterVIPDined on 9/25/2014Was disappointed that old faves (carpaccio & seafood gemelli) were no longer on menu. Chef visited our table and customized a pasta dish for us (outstanding!) and offered to make the carpaccio for us next time if we call 24 hours in advance. Excellent food and an excellent (generous size) Manhattan from the bar. Bar pour bourbon is Makers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make sure you get checked inTW747VIPDined on 9/25/2014Made reservations on Open Table for the restaurant. Make sure the restaurant actually recognizes you have an open table reservation. I received a note from Open Table telling me I had not been there. Food was good. I had the burger, and fries and enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the great menu!JenniJSDined on 9/21/2014Orso used to be on solid rotation for us. At some point Orso changed the menu to accommodate the 3 months of tourist season featuring fish, burgers & steaks. What happened to the beautiful Italian dishes, winter regional dinners, classic mushroom ravioli with salmon? My filet was cooked fine, but it came covered with a bullion, salty mess of a sauce that smothered any taste the meat might have had. The dinner highlight was the Camembert appetizer. The table agreed that if the restaurant wants to survive during the non-tourist season, they need to go back to the fantastic menu they used to have. When we come back we will be having the Camembert appetizer in the bar with drinks and moving elsewhere for dinner. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Reliable venueAnchorage2travelerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Orso consistently offers interesting food choices which are prepared with attention to detail. The lamb shank was superb as were the tenderloin tips. Orso no longer offers complimentary bread on request which is a mistake. They should not have bread plates on the table if bread will not be forthcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The start to a wonderful eveningTGM6Dined on 9/20/2014We were going to the PAC to see Lyle Lovett and began our evening by dining at ORSO. As usual we were not disappointed and enjoyed our meal, the service was excellent and our evening got off to a perfect beginning.Special Features:
- First time good. Second time not.LAFoodieDined on 9/19/2014The first time we went the food and service were very good. The second time we went the service was still very good and the food was not. Nobody in our group of four finished their dinners. And then mine which was a black cod still had fish bones in it. The problem is an inconsistent kitchen which obviously needs to be fixed. Everything lacked flavor or seasoning of any sort.Special Features:
- . It is not what it once wasLovetoeatDined on 9/18/2014This was once our go to restaurant. But not anymore! Must have changed management or something .
- Great For Client and Business LunchAmyKAlaskaDined on 9/18/2014Orso's is a fantastic place to bring Clients and colleagues from out of town for lunch. Service and food were excellent. King Crab corndogs were delicious. My rock fish was well prepared and my work colleagues enjoyed their lunches just as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK but varies.AllergySensitiveVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food generally good, but watch out for ingredients not listed on menu if you have allergies. We eat here occasionally, and the dishes have changed even though the menu has not.Special Features:
- Great service bland foodSomethingnwDined on 9/12/2014Food was very bland. Didn't taste like it had any seasoning. I got the crab stuffed rock fish and my date got the burger. Both needed at least salt. Disappointed in the price per size served. Expected better. Service was great just wish the food was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant In Anchorage!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014We had the most wonderful time at Orso's. Excellent service, incredible food, they made us feel special! I set up a reservation on OpenTable and mentioned that it was our anniversary. The staff at Orso's even gave us a card wishing us a happy anniversary. We left very very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularVIPDined on 9/5/2014One of us had the corn dogs as an appetizer and they were fair, at best. Deviled eggs with salmon, on the other hand, were excellent. Remainder of the meal was very good but not outstanding
- It's not as fancy as it sounds.LoveToEatDined on 9/3/2014If you can get passed the not so chipper hostesses that seem to be glaring at you while you walk through the door and welcome you with a quickly forced "Hello", it's a nice place to eat. I personally like to dress up for such dinner occasions, but this establishment has no dress code and I found it somewhat entertaining to see hiking backpacks, sweatshirts, and dirty jeans. Also the flash photography from tourists while I dined was a plus. The color scheme and decor is bland and unattractive. But if you enjoy the color red, this is a place for you. All in all, the food was delicious as always. Although for the prices, it better be nothing short of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting boringCowboyDined on 9/1/2014When should a restaurant change up its menu? I have been to Orso's many times since they opened and have began to find the menu rather boring. We now only go if we have visitors to take out. Not our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday PartyBallarmtDined on 8/31/2014Our party of 6 started with the Tower appetizers which included Calamari, Tenderloin Tips, and crispy ravioli. We ask to substitute a half order of calamari for the crispy ravioli and our server was very accomodating. After bring the Tower, she took our meal orders. Three of our party chose the Crab Stuffed Rockfish and two chose the Crab Mac-n-Cheese and one ordered the Ribeye steak. All of the entree's arrived together and the food was delicious. My wife raved over the Rockfish and I tried to finish off the Mac-n-Cheese to no avail. The cream and cheese sause paired with the crab, scallops, & shrimp was excellent but proved too rich and filling so I got a take-out box for the rest. Service was wonderful & everyone loved thier meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnerpickyDined on 8/29/2014I picked ORSO for a group of 8. Food was great and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Favorites missingOlddogDined on 8/29/2014As a long time patron I am disappointed that the restaurant has eliminated some popular favorites from the menu and declared there is no chance they will return. The menu also has grown smaller and frankly I couldn't find anything that will lure me back which is a shame because I used to celebrate all special occasions here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Great Evening!!Bosawx1Dined on 8/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary on 8/27 at Orso's. We had dinner reservations for 7:00 PM and were seated promptly. All the staff were very friendly and courteous, especially our waitress Elizabet who gave us excellent service! We started our evening with a couple of cocktails from the bar and we shared an order of calamari which were done perfectly and served with a very nice aioli. My wife had a perfectly grilled rib eye steak while I tried the Prosciutto wrapped Black Cod. Other than the prosciutto being a bit over seared, both meals were excellent. To finish our evening we were comped two desserts, one for our anniversary, and one for the prosciutto having been over seared on my cod dish. Overall excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as AlwaysBohoDined on 8/25/2014This isn't the first time we have come to this establishment but is always Consistenly good and brought our friend visiting from out of state and the entire place did not disappoint from the courteous and fun hostesses as well as the Sassy waitress becky who just added to the great experience all the way to the kitchen staff putting out some great food as always!!!Special Features:
- Tuscan in AnchorageRITADined on 8/24/2014ORSO is really nice place to have lunch or diner and even for a bear with some friends. Excellent food. Service efficient and friendly. I recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All Around MenuDanBVIPDined on 8/23/2014Always Great Food. It is a regular stop for us, if your in Anchorage it is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Anchorage experiencefabjunkDined on 8/17/2014I came with a group of 8 and we were swayed immediately with our reservation. The apps, entrees and desserts were exceptional for all of us. The kids and vegetarian diner had plenty of choices. I recommend it for anyone in downtown Anchorage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NONENONEDined on 8/16/2014No Comment No Comment No Comment No Comment No CommentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RairoadVIPDined on 8/15/2014I live in Detroit, so coming to Orso is a treat when I'm in Anchorage. I know this is the tourist season in Orso, so I knew I needed a reservation, and made one through OpenTable. I was very early for my reservation, but once seated got the service I expected. I had asked them to consider bringing back my favorite meal (Mediterranean Meatloaf), but they had no specials, and not it. The GM did give me hope that one day, when I note this on my reservation they might consider making it a special. It had been a featured item on the menu, and I even got the recipe, but it's too complicated for my home chef to make. So I'll keep tryingSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014We visited Orso restaurant this past weekend for a special occasion and truly enjoyed our time. My wife and I were seated in a cozy booth for two, we were treated well, found the atmosphere pleasant and food tasty. We would recommend Orso to our friends and family!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was great...HappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014I took my husband out for an early anniversary dinner. We knew exactly what we wanted so we ordered as soon as the server came to our table. Service was very good, food was great. We left happy and satisfied. The food wait wasn't very long at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfil Crab LegsLMG237Dined on 8/10/2014Great service, nice craft cocktails, outstanding king crab legs. A wonderful dining experience in Anchorage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceLooieDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I go to ORSO on special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. The food is always great and the service is second to none.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointingSacvoterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Very expensive for what it is. Although the food was fine. Especially after a long day being tourist. But a little better than average is not quite enough for the pricing.
- Birthday Dinner DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/4/2014Went here for my birthday dinner and was sorely disappointed. The service was rushed, and the food was mediocre at best. I had the crab stuffed cod with green beans roasted to oblivion. The cod was over cooked and filled with some cream sauce and covered in uncooked bread crumbs. Tasted like take a bite of flour. My dining partner had the Chicken panzanella salad. Huge spinach leaves with the stems on smothered in an oily dressing. Ice cold molten lava cake for dessert...Molten???? We will not be returning.
- FoodieDined on 8/2/2014Thought it would be a little nicer. I way overdressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family manEverydayDined on 8/2/2014Service was decent and the wait for our dinner was fairly quick. Our ribeye was very thin and very little taste. We got about 15 green beans and a spoonful size of augraten potatoes. No salad. No bread. I guess those are appetizers. For 34.00 dollars for this steak I expected more. Outback steak house has a better steak and meal for a portion of the price.Special Features:
- Always good.Narad00Dined on 8/2/2014This is one of our first choices for a date night. We never feel rushed and always receive top notch service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food.RooseveltDined on 8/1/2014Burger was great though the bun was too cold. Caesar salad was tasty but did not taste like a CAESAR salad. Panzanela(spelling?) salad was real real good. Crab cakes were mediocre (crab too fine) and not very tasty.Special Features:
- Special OccasionFoodieFunDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed the walnut parmesan encrusted halibut. Loved the Panzanella salad recommended by our waiter. The wines offered our way overpriced for what is offered. There should be more choices by the glass. The crab mac and cheese was delicious and decadent. It could use more crab and macaroni and less cheese. Overall, we had a very nice dinner and the restaurant staff was accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodDanielDined on 8/1/2014The crab macaroni and cheese is not to be missed but come hungry or plan on taking some home. It's very rich and filling. Comfortable but slightly pricey. Definitely on our list whenever we're in town.Special Features:
- Great spot for creative diningAFunkDined on 8/1/2014Orso is not just for big pasta and otherwise heavier Italian dishes. Took my daughter for an early light dinner bite on our way to the Clare to Clare fashion show fundraiser. We enjoyed sharing a number of lighter dishes (appetizers and a flatbread). The roasted garlic cambozola was fabulous, as was the crispy cauliflower, and the flatbread--can't recall whether we had the caprese or the smoked salmon, but it was very good). Great service, friendly and attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.