737 W. 5th Avenue
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsoalaska.com/
- Phone: 9072223232x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday - Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Try Us For Brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jolene Moellers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The ORSO Side room is located towards the back of ORSO on the first floor of the dining room. It can seat a maximum of 25 people all at one long table. It is a private space with a door at one end, and a red velvet curtain at the other separating it from the dining room. The space may be divided in half to create a private space that can seat up to 14 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Hurst 9077923792x
- Special Events: Enjoy Our Happy Hour - Daily from 3 to 6 PM and 9 PM to Close . Half priced appetizers. Beer, Wine and Cocktail Specials. Try one of our Speciality Cocktails. - The Appetizer Tower is amazing, plenty to share.
- Cross Street: G
- Public Transit: We are one block from the 6th avenue transit center.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is available on the street and in several nearby public parking lots.
NEW Easy, Convenient Parking is now just steps away! The Alaska State Legislature Parking lot (just behind the BrewHouse back door) is now open to the public for Parking weekdays after 5:30PM and ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday. Street level parking only. $1.00 an hour is the charge at this lot.
A word from ORSO
Alaskan, warm, inviting, innovative, a menu full of surprises, unbelievable wine list, great cocktails, are common phrases used by our guests to describe Orso. We feature the freshest ingredients available, Alaskan whenever possible- fresh Alaskan seafood, fresh local pasta, and local produce when in season. We prepare them with the simple, rustic flavors and techniques of the great culinary regions of the Mediterranean. Orso’s outstanding service, bold menu, classic cocktails combined with a wine list that has received the “award of excellence” from the Wine Spectator for five years is why ORSO is the “Place to be” for Anchorage dinning.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
ORSO reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)fit for foodies (65)good for groups (56)romantic (56)notable wine list (54)great for lunch (31)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (20)neighborhood gem (20)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)Show More
- Warm AtmospheregrrmayDined on 10/28/2014The atmosphere and service are what set the mark for this eatery. Too bad the food does not equal the mark. I found the food to be good, but not worth the price. The crab stuffed rockfish tasted "fishy" and had little to no flavor. I requested salt, hoping this would liven things up, but alas, it tasted like salted cod. Even lemon did not help. The server graciously offered to bring something else when she saw I barely ate my entree. I opted to enjoy my delicious dessert instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I am aware that with having food allergies, it is more difficult for restaurants to accommodate. However, I notifed the restaurant when making the reservation ahead of time. They also boast themselves as being food allergy friendly. When I received the gluten-free menu, every dish had cheese in it, which I am also allergic to. I ordered an appetizer which had to be re-done 3 times and took almost an hour to get it. Then my main entree had to also be sent back because it still came with cheese. Our server was very nice and apologetic, but it still took a long time to get the food. My husband ordered the lamb (doesn't have allergies) and it was very bland and overcooked. We won't be eating here again.
- On the declineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Unpleasant, rushed and expensive. Crab cake appetizer consisted of 2 small (tasty) crab cakes for $15. All menu items were like that, good, but not great, and overpriced. But the worse thing about Orso's is the service. It has never been professional, but now it is just plain rude and unpleasant. It started from the moment we walked in. Hostess was rude and acted like she didn't want us there. As soon as we were shown to our table, as we were taking off our coats, our waitress came over and dropped the menus on our table, told us about the halibut special and asked us what we wanted to drink. The food came out quickly and all together. They tried to get us out of there in 45 minutes! Too many better choices in downtown Anchorage.
- Where to sit at OrsoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We have dined at your restaurant several times. Each time as been a pleasant experience. Last Sunday was the second time we have been seated upstairs. I noticed a big difference during the busy moments of the restaurant with the noise level. Upstairs was calm and quiet. Downstairs, with the open kitchen, the bar, and people coming and going was much noisier. If you want or need a quieter dining experience in a very nice restaurant request the upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Really great service and the food was delicious! Really enjoyed the cheese plate starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoritefinedinerDined on 10/24/2014Orso's quiet environment is welcoming, as well as their delicious food choices and wine list! It is a lovely spot for a special evening with your significant other or group of friends. We have never been disappointed!Special Features:
- Great Mac and CheeseMorimotoVIPDined on 10/23/2014Best Mac and chees and the seafood corn dogs were fantastic!!! Bloody Mary with infused salmon vodka delicious. A must !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Director Of Everything SpecialInspirationalDined on 10/23/2014The wine flight was excellent and the dinner menu offered a tasty variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Definitely a great place for a family gathering. Food was delicious service was great. Would definitely recommend to my friends..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes! Above the Best!1WorldTravelerDined on 10/23/2014Great menu, great personable service without intrusion, the perfect dining experience! On this trip we had outstanding meals in Bucharest, Delhi and Shanghai. But Orso was the best of the best, bar none!Special Features:
- NandVIPDined on 10/22/2014The restaurant manager is a big plus here. He is actively aware of every employee and makes certain that diners are being served in proper and timely manner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but slowLuckyDined on 10/22/2014Good food, pricey with having to special bread with the meal. Service was slow and very busy and loud.Special Features:
- Great experienceGLCdinningDined on 10/21/2014Service was above the norm. Even though the waiter said that it was his first day you couldn't tell he was excellent and was always right there when you needed something.Special Features:
- Impeccable ServiceReturningPatronVIPDined on 10/21/2014The service was amazing. Our waiter was polite, efficient, and knowledgeable. An empty plate or bowl did not sit longer than 15 seconds before it was taken away and our wine nor water glasses were ever empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of the TripJeanDined on 10/21/2014I had 2 different people recommend Orso's and it completely wowed me. Fabulous food. The server was friendly, but not fake, and gave the best recommendations. I will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delight...FoodJagVIPDined on 10/20/2014We eat here whenever we are in Anchorage. God food, excellent staff, nice menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I took my wife to Orso for her birthday and following a performance at the PAC. It was amazing! The food was excellent and our service was by far the best we have had in a long time. Mila was awesome!!! Thank you for a fabulous evening! We will be back!Special Features:
- Beautiful Place to dineanchortowndinerDined on 10/18/2014Very nice setting but slightly crowded, might go with the "old time" feel they seem to be going for. Service was pretty good. Specialized menu so not many options but food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmilyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The food was of course amazing! The staff was great to make recommendations and work with our rather tight schedule. After the experience we all agreed we would like to go again. Very good experience for our party!Special Features:
- Thanks 4 being a community partner!alaskaboatgirlDined on 10/18/2014Besides excellent food & service, I want to say a big "thank you" for being a community partner. I chair the Anchorage Concert Association board of directors. I was delighted to see Orso's Facebook post "It's not spring, it's not fall, it's not winter-It's showtime!" with ACA's presentation of Les Miserables featured! To top it off, you even had a link for buying tickets! I sincerely appreciate the "win-win" attitude you have. Theatre goers want a "whole evening" experience -and you obviously recognize that. THANK YOU for looking beyond just getting people in your door by helping the ACA get people into our seats at the Alaska Center for the Performing Arts! I celebrate your collaborative spirit! The Orso staff & management team rocks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/17/2014bad front of house, poor service, mediocre food. a disappointment
- Group meetingBrianDined on 10/17/2014I had requested a table for seven for a Friday evening meeting. We were placed in the quietest location - we were able to eat wonderful food and have a productive meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding help staffCathyDined on 10/16/2014The food was excellent but even more importantly, we had outstanding service--personable and efficient. Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but PriceyFoodEaterDined on 10/11/2014The food was very good at ORSO. My wife and I really enjoyed our time at the restaurant. It was a special occasion for us but the food was quite expensive. The entrees had good value and were priced accordingly, but the soups and salads are quite expensive for the value of the food. Overall the experience was good, just expect to pay more than you thought initially when visiting ORSO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner before the showGearDined on 10/10/2014We had a fabulous dinner before the show. Parked close Enough to walk from dinner to the denaina center. Tasty and convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNotthebesttonightDined on 10/10/2014Usually we experience great service at Orso's but unfortunately not so on this visit. Our waiter left after he took our drink order. Then their was another waiter taking orders from people who arrived after us...we were still waiting for our waiter...who apparently got off work. They brought one correct drink and one that was nothing like we ordered. The waitress who delivered the drinks said we could go ahead and have the drink and they would bring the correct one. Unfortunately, they ended up charging us for it anyways. But we didn't have time to say anything because we were trying to get to a concert on time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014had such a wonderful meal. just perfect in every way.Special Features:
- sjr3VIPDined on 10/2/2014the halibut was excellent and the service was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Very averageFrequenteaterDined on 9/29/2014Orso used to be wonderful but it is nothing special. My daughter's hamburger bun was dry, my flank steak was tough, and the rest of the meal was not worth the money.Special Features:
- Great for AK guestsSnidermanDined on 9/27/2014When you want to show your guests the reliable best... this is the place. Don't think twice.Special Features:
- Place is going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014I've gone and ate at the bar and had much better service. Service was super slow and took over 15 minutes for a drink. The filet was nice. But the ribeye was swimming in balsamic to the point it tasted sour. Drinks were too sweet and watered down. Pretty disappointing.
- Dinner Saturday EveningAlaskagirlDined on 9/27/2014A friend and I went to Orso's before the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra Opening Night performance. We were greeted and seated quickly; our server was attentive. The food was fabulous except for the Alaska Seafood Chowder, usually an excellent choice. This time, it was not quite up to par. I've dined at Orso's for over ten years, enjoying the chowder on many occasions, so it was probably an rare exception that it wasn't delicious. Other menu items hit the spot - Crispy Ravioli, Flat Iron Steak and ORSO Burger were all excellent. Of course, I'll be dining again soon!Special Features:
- Still a ClassicSandraDined on 9/26/2014I go for the wine and the Osso Bucco! Both this last time around were excellent.Special Features:
- Orso FairPNJNDined on 9/25/2014Food was good. Waitress had a large table besides us, so we received minimal attention. Almost finished eating before we could get salt and pepper brought to table. Bread is a purchased appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New chef is excellentPickyEaterVIPDined on 9/25/2014Was disappointed that old faves (carpaccio & seafood gemelli) were no longer on menu. Chef visited our table and customized a pasta dish for us (outstanding!) and offered to make the carpaccio for us next time if we call 24 hours in advance. Excellent food and an excellent (generous size) Manhattan from the bar. Bar pour bourbon is Makers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make sure you get checked inTW747VIPDined on 9/25/2014Made reservations on Open Table for the restaurant. Make sure the restaurant actually recognizes you have an open table reservation. I received a note from Open Table telling me I had not been there. Food was good. I had the burger, and fries and enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the great menu!JenniJSDined on 9/21/2014Orso used to be on solid rotation for us. At some point Orso changed the menu to accommodate the 3 months of tourist season featuring fish, burgers & steaks. What happened to the beautiful Italian dishes, winter regional dinners, classic mushroom ravioli with salmon? My filet was cooked fine, but it came covered with a bullion, salty mess of a sauce that smothered any taste the meat might have had. The dinner highlight was the Camembert appetizer. The table agreed that if the restaurant wants to survive during the non-tourist season, they need to go back to the fantastic menu they used to have. When we come back we will be having the Camembert appetizer in the bar with drinks and moving elsewhere for dinner. Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Reliable venueAnchorage2travelerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Orso consistently offers interesting food choices which are prepared with attention to detail. The lamb shank was superb as were the tenderloin tips. Orso no longer offers complimentary bread on request which is a mistake. They should not have bread plates on the table if bread will not be forthcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The start to a wonderful eveningTGM6Dined on 9/20/2014We were going to the PAC to see Lyle Lovett and began our evening by dining at ORSO. As usual we were not disappointed and enjoyed our meal, the service was excellent and our evening got off to a perfect beginning.Special Features:
- First time good. Second time not.LAFoodieDined on 9/19/2014The first time we went the food and service were very good. The second time we went the service was still very good and the food was not. Nobody in our group of four finished their dinners. And then mine which was a black cod still had fish bones in it. The problem is an inconsistent kitchen which obviously needs to be fixed. Everything lacked flavor or seasoning of any sort.Special Features: