1057-59 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.orsayrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2125176400x0
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French, Prime Rib
- Executive Chef: Antoine Camin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer outside catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Orsay has a secluded room for meetings & events. The room located on the second floor, can seat up to 70 guests. Designed with the same art nouveau private details as the restaurant, it is also equipped with integrated audio visual equipment for business meetings or to view that special anniversary video. Orsay also has a semi-private area on the 1st floor.
- Private Party Contact: Melanie 2125170015x
A word from Orsay
Designed by partner Jean Denoyer, Orsay strikes that difficult balance of sophisticated-chic in a warm convivial atmosphere. Dark mahogany raised paneled walls meet Art Nouveau styled arches in a deep, creamy butter color. The floor is a work of art, Italian mosaic tiles in warm tones of precious metals hand laid in a beautiful fan pattern that floats in waves across the expanse of floor. Banquettes with high wood backs topped with frosted glass panels provide privacy if wanted, and the low, soft lighting emanates from Art Nouveau period chandeliers that Denoyer had custom designed. A 20-foot long zinc-topped wood bar shipped in one piece from France, and French doors that spill onto the sidewalk terrace, completing the feeling that you are in the 9th arrondisement in Paris. This sophisticated and elegant Parisian-style brasserie marries modern French cuisine and classic brasserie fare. Orsay's award-winning wine list includes all 300 predominantly French and American varietals.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Orsay reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)great for outdoor dining (73)great for lunch (48)fit for foodies (46)special occasion (42)great for brunch (41)romantic (34)notable wine list (19)good for groups (18)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Wonderful EveningJoletsDined on 9/13/2014We brought some out of town guests to Orsay, and had such a lovely meal. The service was exceptional, the food was delicious, and it was the perfect environment to relax and enjoy dinner with family and friends. We will definitely be back to enjoy the outdoor seating next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little bit of Francejanieb1123VIPDined on 9/11/2014orsay is beautiful elegant and yummy. it's become a regular stop for us on NYC visits. fab steak frites and oystersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French BistroSeattledinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014We were at the soon to move Whitney museum and wanted lunch after . I checked my open table app to see nearby availability . We love Paris and old fashioned French food, so Orsay sounded perfect, and it was. It was a nice day, so we were offered a table outside . The service was very good and prompt. I started with the soup du jour, a creamy , lovely butternut squash soup, my husband had the Orsay salad. We split an order of the steak au poivre vert , which was perfectly prepared. No room for dessert. I highly recommend Orday to any Francophile looking to eat on the upper East side .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Neighborhood RestaurantAndieVIPDined on 9/7/2014We always feel welcome at Orsay and the tuna tartar has to be the best in NYC. Dining on the terrace is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer LunchDavidVIPDined on 9/5/2014Have a bottle of wine. Eat the specials. Come on, it's the upper east side for lunch. Show up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CathyVIPDined on 8/28/2014Wonderful cheese soufflé and lobster ravioli! We will be back for both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableAndieVIPDined on 8/22/2014Orsay is a neighborhood favorite of ours, in fact we met on a blind date there, and had our wedding lunch there. The management is welcoming and waiters congenial. Food has gone a bit downhill in the past few months. Maybe a new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A French ExperienceLogisticianVIPDined on 8/22/2014At Orsay, you will be taken back to FRANCE. You will enjoy the food, wine, service, and décor what ever the time of day you arrive. Dining here is a MOST delightful experience.Special Features:
- FisheyefisheyeDined on 8/19/2014The dinner service was wonderful and the ambience is very nice. The scallop dish could be a little more generous that four scallops.Special Features:
- LovelyFoodmavenVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ate outdoors and it was lovely. The seating is on the avenue so it is fairly quiet a raised above the level of the side walk. The food is always good but they have raised their prices quite a bit... Very high for brasserie food!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Had a lovely time for a birthday dinner. French classics were deliciousSpecial Features:
- Delightful French BistroZoeZDined on 8/15/2014We had booked for an early dinner, but got there even earlier than expected, and decided to sit at the bar for a drink beforehand. The Bar is a real beauty - made of nickel forged in France - and according to the Bar tender - just one of two such bars in NY). The whole restaurant has a totally authentic french bistro decor, and a charming ambience. We actually ate outside, and it was a really lovely sidewalk patio with flowers, and a great ambience of its own. It was restaurant week, and two of us ate off the restaurant week pre fix menu, and the other ordered al a carte from the main menu. The food was delicious, and we would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Sweet on the streetPSPSVIPDined on 8/14/2014Though the food is good and the service adult...a warm afternoon or evening is the only time to go. While the tin ceiling and hardwood are reminiscent of Paris, the noise could only be NYC. The din is distracting from the atmosphere, in the extreme. Diners shout. Parisians keep their voices low. UPS woman clap their heels. Parisian woman glide. And so on. So eat on the terrace/porch, away from computer station, and enjoy yourself.Special Features:
- Great Service and Perfect CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014The welcome we received as we entered the restaurant always sets the tone for the remainder of the evening. Orsay never fails to make its diners feel welcome. The Pinot Grigio was one of the best I've ever tasted. I always start with the escargot, which have never but perfect. This evening, I had the Hanger Steak with a peppercorn sauce & frites, which was perpared extacly to my request. This restaurant never fails to deliver a positive, pleasant experience every time I dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- migwarDined on 8/13/2014Being that this was the restaurant week menu, we didn't expect the most expensive items to be included in the selection. However, a selection with somewhat more variety (or the ability to substitute a less expensive item from the regular menu for the appetizer) would have improved our dining experience. It seemed that almost every item offered (especially for appetizer) had at least one ingredient that I either do not like or am not allowed to eat (for medical reasons.) Server was charming, and very good about answering all our questions. Some awkwardness when maitre d' repeatedly bent over to attend to elderly patron seated next to us. (Issue of his derriere "in my face.") Tables were too close together for him to be doing that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePrincetonManDined on 8/8/2014As a group of four, we finished our visit to the Met early and decided to walk as it was a nice summer evening. When I called on the way to bump up the reseravation by an hour, the hostess was very accomodating - even remembered my name when we arrived. We sat at an outside table (no wait - we were lucky). The specialty cocktails were somewhat pricey and disappointing - better to go with a classic (martini or kir royale). Service was attentive. Excellent, house-made sourdough bread. I had roast duck from the 3 course pre-fixe - very well prepared. The pre-fixe menu was limited, so my wife had the broiled scallops served with an excellent risotto, which comes to the table in a covered copper pot.Special Features:
- Loved OrsayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Dinner for two at Orsay on Friday night was wonderful. Despite the Restaurant Week menu, I opted for a sole special that was well worth the price. Best I have ever tasted. Bottle of wine was reasonable and acceptable. Profiteroles were terrific. Will definitely return to Orsay.Special Features:
- VinceVIPDined on 8/7/2014I was recommended by a friend. The French food was delicious as was the service. I would highly recommend and will be back again.Special Features:
- Not one I would go back toDavidDined on 8/7/2014We arrived and all looked perfect. Beautiful night, great table outside, nice view. Thats where it ended. We went here because it was restaurant week and we figured, why not try something new. The menu that was posted on "Open Table" was not the current one. The waiter told us it had changed 3 weeks ago and he guesses it wasn't changed yet. The meals we wanted were no longer available so we looked hard to find substitutes. Found something we really didn't want but said were here so make the best of it. The Onion soup was just ok. The food was bland and the Apple Kobbler was awful. The wait staff was excellent, the atmosphere was wonderful but the food was second class at best. I would not go back but I am glad I tried it anyway.Special Features:
- Good place to goPasCatDined on 8/7/2014A good french restaurant, good food and service. You can eat outside if the weather is clear enough.Special Features:
- AmazinguppereastsidefoodieDined on 8/6/2014Everything was perfect and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheEnglishDined on 8/4/2014We had a lovely evening at Orsay. The food was of a very high standard and the service efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice foodthw1Dined on 8/4/2014We order salmon filet and duck leg comfit on the restaurant week menu it was great. The salmon was cold and come with a very refreshing sauce and cucumber salad:) Duck leg comfit was tender and tasty. dessert was good, we order apple tart and chocolate mooseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro-niceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Lovely bistro setting, food was ok a little disappointed with the overall presentation of duck breast came with turnips....thats all....the restaurant week menu may be the cause for that. Service was impeccable and when we had the duck cooked a little more (it was rare....really rare) they served us a top up glass each (4) of our selected wine,,,,nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Touch of Paris in ManhattanBirthdayGirlDined on 8/1/2014It is a little bit of Paris on the Upper East Side. The ambiance takes you immediately to a brasserie in Paris. The service is attentive, and the tables generously set apart so you can actually have a conversation with your dinner companion! The menu is not extensive, but the food is consistently excellent. It's a great place for dinner alone as well, when you want to treat yourself to a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could be betterduckdougDined on 8/1/2014Service was good but food was on the salty side. Need to lighten up to bring out the freshness of the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014A nice French bistro near the Whitney Museum. We enjoyed the prix fixed lunch and were not disappointed. Everything was delicious including the espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Great PresentationFriday4FoodiesDined on 7/31/2014Good and attentive service. Accommodated our seating request. Did not rush us out. Had a great time. Will come back for dinner as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food for this neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014surprised find, good foods, lighter than i expected for frenchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week pleasure8huitresDined on 7/30/2014We tried different offerings on the Restaurant Week menu and all were quite delicious. Outside seating is less noisy - the beautiful tiled interior is not sound-absorbant. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excelentemarDined on 7/30/2014Nice elegant place. We left the dog outside, the captain and the hostess helped us kindly to find a nice table next to him and gave him water. Attentive service. Food not outstanding but good quality, generous portion for restaurant week. Thank you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charmChewyDined on 7/29/2014Management was very accommodating, the food and it's presentation was great and everyone was very happy. The waiter, however, was a bit rushed and spilled water in my nephews' lap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful diningdonnasfVIPDined on 7/25/2014Orsay never fails to please. Service is impeccable, particularly at the front desk. Steaks and pomme frites are top notch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Dinner reviewFrancisDined on 7/25/2014Food was good and beautifully plated, staffs were friendly, but noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant lunchGinaVIPDined on 7/22/2014The maitre d was very friendly, however wait staff lacked warm feel, and was rather abrupt. The food was very good, and prix-fix restaurant week was even better! The chocolate mousse was the best addition to an overall pleasant lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susantDined on 7/22/2014I had already had lunch at Orsay several times. On this occasion, I invited a friend to lunch so that we could celebrate her special birthday. Everything was just perfect. Merci mille fois!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really FrenchkazmVIPDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful neighborhood longtime stalwart. Will not disappoint. Friendly staff with respectable affordable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GraciousNYCUESDined on 7/20/2014Service, ambience and portions were all gracious. I don't use the term generous for portions, makes you think of a Red Lobster. The food here was to perfection, portions were enough to leave you satisfied. Classic French cuisine. Service was attentive. Seating was a little of everything. You could be directly outdoors, by the large open doors or completely indoors. Atmosphere lively while still being able to hold a conversation across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but a little loudOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014This was my second time dining at Orsay. The food was spectacular but the unfortunate part was the road construction right next to our table. Once that's complete, it will be wonderful. Definitely a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelerVIPDined on 7/10/2014Perfect lunch. Delicious, convenient, and excellent service. Well done...Special Features: